S3: Robert Best

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

476 replies to this topic

plumtree

plumtree

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 10:16 AM

Hahahaha, if it was indeed Robert Best's fault, my love for him might just die a little.

BocaChic

BocaChic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 7:55 AM

Well it would certainly mimic his dog-crap-esqe designs on PR.

plumtree

plumtree

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 3:12 PM

Am I the only one who can't wait to see Robert give Vincent a rightful smackdown at the reunion? Seriously...that may be one of the only reasons I watch it. *dances away giddily*

arlykeeno

arlykeeno

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 3:48 PM

Why would Robert give Vincent a smack-down? I don't recall him disliking Vincent. And Robert was really gracious when he left (unlike, say, Alison) so I'm not really expecting sour grapes.

I love Robert. I am holding onto a small hope that he won the Favorite Designer thing. It's impossible to know if people voted at all, let alone for him, but I'm holding onto that one small thing to save the season in a small way.

And I absolutely think that designing for Barbie is "real" designing. Like designing for K-Mart or something, it may be the low end of the totem pole in terms of status, but if it were completely declasse, they wouldn't have made it a challenge for the show in Season 2. Besides, fabulous designers have done Barbies, as noted above, and Isaac Mizrahi designs for Target, so it seems the lines are bleeding a lot.

ditz99

ditz99

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 3:50 PM

I wish that Barbies listed who designed them on the back. I'd love to be able to pick up a Barbie and know it was one of Robert's. I wonder if there's a way of finding out. Is it listed anywhere?

7LeafClover

7LeafClover

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 4:18 PM

ditz99 - Here's a small list of the Barbies he designed.

I used most of my votes for Robert and a small number for Malan. I think Michael, Laura, Malan, or Alison stands a better chance of winning for favorite designer. Robert was my favorite overall.

I think the Barbie designs totally count as designing, particularly the originals. Designer Barbie clothes are intricate. I'm always amazed at the clothes Barbie gets. She's a lucky, lucky woman for that.

plumtree

plumtree

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 4:35 PM

Why would Robert give Vincent a smack-down? I don't recall him disliking Vincent. And Robert was really gracious when he left (unlike, say, Alison) so I'm not really expecting sour grapes.

No, I'm not saying he'll be sour grapes. Vincent, from what I gathered from the previews, called Michael's (and a couple other people's work) work amateur work. Robert said "That's what an amateur is, someone who dogs other people's work". It looks like he's sticking up for Michael (and anyone else Vincent was reffering to in the amateur group)

EHParson

EHParson

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 10:56 PM

Robert looked great tonight, and was so cute the way he poked Jeffrey's arm about being mean to Angela's mom. Then his reaction when Kors was huffing about Kayne, adorable. I'm glad he and Kayne still seem to be close.

Beppy

Beppy

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2006 @ 9:44 AM

The reunion only made me want more Robert! I was impressed with how much he was able to say with just a look at Michael Kors.And how he gently poked fun at Jeffrey who could have handled Angelas' mom better. And how he made sense unlike Vincents ramblings on what qualified as 'Amateur' (Apparently anyone not willing to be Vincent) I believe he's probably very happy designing for Barbie because you can put almost anything on her and "make it work". I don't think he's ever going to be enough of a jerk to put up with real humans.

noonee

noonee

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 10:43 AM

Did anyone else notice the Barbie commercial that played during last night's finale?

I gotta think they did this because of Robert. I have never seen a children's doll ad shown at that time of night on Bravo, or anywhere else.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 11:36 AM

Was it my imagination, or was Robert seated beside Liza Minelli at the Olympus runway show?

Agnes Gooch

Agnes Gooch

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 4:35 PM

Robert doing appearances with Santino and Jeffrey? I guess Laura's got the answer to her question now about whether he really likes her. Or not.

Edited by Agnes Gooch, Oct 19, 2006 @ 4:35 PM.

EHParson

EHParson

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 7:11 PM

Robert doing appearances with Santino and Jeffrey? I guess Laura's got the answer to her question now about whether he really likes her. Or not.

Haven't Jeffrey and Laura made up?

It was nice to see Robert in the audience last night, however brief the appearance was.

Edited by EHParson, Oct 19, 2006 @ 7:13 PM.

Agnes Gooch

Agnes Gooch

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 7:56 PM

Jeffrey's BravoTV.com interview today would seem to indicate that he has reverted to not liking Laura. I was very disappointed, reading it.

desdamonab

desdamonab

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 10:21 PM

Reading Laura's comment in the NY Post, it sounds like she hasn't reverted to liking him, either. They live on different coasts, so I guess it doesn't matter much.

zazaxux

zazaxux

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 10:38 PM

I just watched that video clip with Robert Best, Jeffrey and Santino on the Megan Mullally Show website. Hilarious! I laughed more than I have during this entire season. I miss Robert and his funny snark.

I don't know if he's actually friends with Jeffrey and Santino, although Santino calls him a "friend" on his blog. However, all of them are based on L.A. so I assume they must run into each other. Much like Allison, Malan and Keith hang out because they're all in NY.

glazedeyes

glazedeyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2006 @ 7:47 AM

Did anyone else notice the Barbie commercial that played during last night's finale?

I'm so glad you wrote that, because I did notice and I was a bit upset. I'm a watchdog when it comes to TV and my little girls, and I thought that commercial meant that Bravo was targeting little girls at that time of night, and what is this world coming to!

It makes much more sense that the commercial was about Robert and his fans.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2006 @ 8:22 AM

I just watched that video clip with Robert Best, Jeffrey and Santino on the Megan Mullally Show website. Hilarious! I laughed more than I have during this entire season. I miss Robert and his funny snark.

That was hysterical! It was great seeing Santino again (and hearing his TG impersonation).

I like MM, so this isn't meant as snark . . . but does anyone see a resemblance between MM and the newly made-over Wendy Pepper?

plumtree

plumtree

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2006 @ 12:05 PM

I like MM, so this isn't meant as snark . . . but does anyone see a resemblance between MM and the newly made-over Wendy Pepper

I thought I was the only one who noticed! Now I don't feel so alone.

zazaxux

zazaxux

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2006 @ 5:41 PM

Oh dear. Now that you mention it... yes, there is a resemblance. Perhaps they frequent the same plastic surgeon? I'm sure Wendy had a little work done.

I read that Robert recently designed the 2007 Barbie Fashion Model Collection. I really want to buy one for my niece.

swingkidpt

swingkidpt

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2006 @ 8:51 PM

I met a woman this weekend while dining at my rabbi's house who went to school with Mr. Best at Parson's. She said he was not the nicest of people 18 years ago but that apparently everybody considered him very talented and he was voted "designer of the year" his senior year.

bluenihil

bluenihil

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 11:00 AM

This is totally random, but I work at a public library and was thumbing through a little fashion book today and found Robert Best (and Parsons) mentioned. So weird; it was printed in 2004.

Passion From Parsons

Several of today's most exciting young designers are graduates of the Parsons School of Design in New York City. Among them is Robert Best, who worked for four years as a design assistant to the honored designer Isaac Mizraki. Best also spent time as a designer of clothes for one of the most famous fashion models in the world--the Barbie doll! Now he designs collections for real women. His 2003 collection featured upscale cocktail party dresses that reminded many people of the 1950s and 1960s styles.

Rivera, Ursula. Fashion, pg. 38. High Interest Books, Children's Press, 2004.

Just so random I had to post it, heh.

scoobie doobie

scoobie doobie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

So Robert's back to designing for Barbie? He seemed like such a snippy little queen. I just assumed maybe it was 'cause he was bitter about not having success designing stuff for actual people to wear. Micheal Kors was right, Roberts designs were zzzzzzzzzzzz! But he had such a nice body. He needed to wear skimpier outfits and cover up the dorky unhot face.

Edited by scoobie doobie, Jul 4, 2007 @ 9:07 PM.

gatormarble

gatormarble

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 5, 2007 @ 10:41 AM

Robert made a brief appearance on the season finale of "Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders: Making the Team" on CMT. He presented a new line of DCC Barbies that he presumably outfitted. Bravo/CMT cross-promotion - who'da thunk?

hoodooznoodoooz

hoodooznoodoooz

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 6:04 PM

I saw "Unzipped" the year they released it, then watched it again today. Robert looks adorable! I guess he was in his early early twenties. I think he has aged really well in 10 years. He didn't gain too much weight. He seemed kind of reserved in "Unzipped," but maybe that's because Isaac was such a tyrant?

ljande

ljande

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2008 @ 4:25 AM

ok, I know I'm late to the game here, but now that I found this thread I have to get this out. The episode where Robert was aufed had me so furious. His client appeared happy and confident wearing the dress. As a "big gal" myself I would have felt comfortable wearing it as well. The comments from size 2 Nina and MK (as if they would ever consider trying to make a larger woman fashionable -- what's the point, right?) that he should have used a pattern seemed really narrow minded to me. Yes, there are bigger women who would be comfortable in a pattern, but many of us don't. Walk into any dept store that doesn't specifically cater to plus sizes and your options are solids or the ever present polyester obnoxiously large prints -- huge leaves - big bold flowers - big scary amoebas or paisley or whatever. Yes, I really want to walk around wearing something that screams -- look at me -- I'm fat and these larger than life flowers are just my way of pointing it out to you in case it hasn't already crossed your mind. Sorry -- lol - I was really ticked.

Oh, that and the fact that the pig, who himself admitted to making the fugliest garment ever, got to stay. I almost didn't want to watch the rest of the season after that epi.

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks for giving me a place to rant.

Pj3422

Pj3422

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I saw "Unzipped" the year they released it, then watched it again today. Robert looks adorable! I guess he was in his early early twenties. I think he has aged really well in 10 years.

I hadn't seen this post from several years ago, and "Unzipped" ran on Flix last night. What a nice surprise to see the 1994 Robert! Also very cool to see the models from that time -- Carla Bruni, Cindy Crawford, et. al. Also hilarious to see Robert try to get thigh-high boots off Veronica Webb!