3-5: "A Two-Headed Beast" 2006.07.09 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

440 replies to this topic

Al Lowe

Al Lowe

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 8:02 PM

Go!

mellen

mellen

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 8:58 PM

Wow, damn- grosses fight EVAH!

Poor Hostetler. Man. We all have limits, his was reached.

Trixie “popped from the wall like grandma ground hog” heh.

And..Hearst in the Pokey.

Nortonius

Nortonius

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 8:58 PM

Holy shit that was satisfying, and it looks like it's only going to get better. DAMN. WTF is with the widow, is she using because she's horny or was she horny because she's using?

kookiejar

kookiejar

Couch Potato

• Interests:tv, movies, books, blogging, cooking...you know...life. Check out my blog to know more about my interests.

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:01 PM

Holy cow! I nearly lost it when Dan ripped out Captain Cuntface's eye. Jesus!

And I'm not ashamed to say that I cried when Hostetler couldn't take anymore of Steve's bullshit. Fucker. Will there be any justice for that?

Raj MahTaj

Raj MahTaj

Video Archivist

Holy Shit!

Holy Shit!

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:02 PM

That fight made Al and Seth's little romp look like a playground wrestling match.

There's one reason why Dan won...he's fighting for Al out of loyalty and love. That can sometimes be the proper motivater when the odds go against you.

Am I the only one tired of Trixie treating Sol like shit? I'm about ready for him to tell her to get the fuck over herself or go back to Al's boot on her neck. Or maybe he's past caring because she's just that good of a fuck.

Brian in Atl

Brian in Atl

Just Tuned In

OK, I'm missing something. Why did Ellsworth suddenly want to move out of the house?

Thunder24

Thunder24

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:03 PM

That was great! Go Dan! I was worried we'd lose my favorite character
And for Hearst? LOL!

Amee

Amee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:04 PM

Al couldn't figure Hearst's angle, but it was revealed to us that he wanted to use the Captain's beat-down of Dan as a lesson to the camp.

Bullock leading Hearst by the ear! Too funny- until next week when the shit hits the fan...

funbox

funbox

Judging from Hearst's reaction, I'm pretty sure that the Captain has as much love for Hearst as Dan does for Al.

Trixie looked superhot in this episode.

skat510

skat510

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:02 PM

I almost can't process everything that went down tonight cuz Dan RIPPED OUT THAT DUDE'S EYE! YEEECH! That was some nasty shit.

Oh and why couldn't Hostetler have shot Steve instead?

Didn't quite understand what went down with the Ellsworth's...is our boy Whitney onto Alma's usage?

kookiejar

kookiejar

Couch Potato

• Interests:tv, movies, books, blogging, cooking...you know...life. Check out my blog to know more about my interests.

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:05 PM

I think it's because she was suddenly acting so friendly and he knew there was probably only one reason for that, because usually she's such a bitch.

Nortonius

Nortonius

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:03 PM

I figure the widow coming on to Ellsworth was what finally convinced him she's chasing the dragon again...

SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:06 PM

OK, I'm missing something. Why did Ellsworth suddenly want to move out of the house?

I think it was because he realized that she was using again.

Excellent episode...but that eyeball!! Oy.

One of the best lines:

Clench: Did you just say...fuck myself?

Albino Girl

Albino Girl

Couch Potato

My take on it was that he realized that she was using and that is why she was suddenly coming on to him. Perhaps he smelled it on her breath?

Dan. There are no words.

Hostetler. Ditto.

More when I am coherent. God, I love this show.

Aunt Nette

Aunt Nette

Video Archivist

I can't decide which was more disgusting, the flopping eyeball or Con using that poor woman's boob as a megaphone.

lizzyracecar

lizzyracecar

Channel Surfer

Ok, my husband called just when Al was replying to Johnny's request that he look in on Dan...what did he say about the fight being fair?

Mooze

Mooze

Just Tuned In

Gotta be one of the most human, but brutal fight scenes I've EVER seen. Dan may not be out of danger yet... Internal injuries, pneumonia, infection may still do him in.

Shame about Hostetler.. Didn't see that coming. Question is, who gets his money? NG? The Bank?

Alma definitely doping again. Ellsworth brokenhearted, but wise to leave her.

Hearst in Jail.. My contention is that he got himself put in there on purpose... at least for one night. After the Cornish murder, and the death of Captain Turner, incarceration may be his safest option.

alanna banana

alanna banana

Loyal Viewer

Wow, that must be one of the epic on-screen fights of all time. That eye-popping was even grosser than the eye-popping on House this season.

Poor Hostetler. He just. Had. Enough.

So, is Ellsworth moving out because Alma doesn't need a beard anymore for her baby? I was a little unclear...

runeliza

runeliza

Loyal Viewer

Nortonius, I think she's horny because she's using. Some other poster in a different ep thread pointed out that when Alma had to FAKE using (Season 1), she pretended to be all amorous. Maybe that's how she started -- found it easier to have sex with Garrett if she was using? Anyway, how brilliant was poor Ellsworth when he figured it out with just one kiss? I guess they never kissed before? What do others think?

All in all, I can't remember rocking back and forth saying "Oh my God, oh my GOD!" so much from an episode of television since the "Love's Labour's Lost" episode of ER. I was SO WORRIED for Dan ... I was SO MOVED by that scene of Al's guys (Adams, Johnny, Dan) telling Bullock to wait awhile and let Al come to a decision ... can someone with TiVo tell me exactly what Trixie says to Sol when she breaks on through to the other side and spills the beans about Alma? It was so f***in' eloquent ...

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading and quilting

Son of a bitch!

Neighbor pops in (like grandma fuckin' groundhog) halfway through the show. "I've been calling. Why didn't you answer your phone?"

"Because I never answer my fuckin' phone Sundays between 8 and 9 because my favorite fuckin' show is on!"

Then he proceeds to talk my fuckin' ear off until 9, says "Enjoy your show" and fuckin' leaves!

The Tivo records the 11 pm episode because I ALWAYS watch the one at 8.

Fuck! Now I gotta wait two fuckin' hours to see what happened in the livery and with Alma and Ellsworth and Hearst getting arrested and whatever the fuck all else.

What I saw was excellent. Best fight ever. Love Jack's response to his mortally ill friend, and appreciated Milch's buzz beforehand, letting us know that Jack and Al really are friends. I won't worry about Jack somehow working against Al's interests now.

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:07 PM

My sister, the nurse, has seen all kinds of ooky things and the eye gouge just about made her lose it. Me, I had to close my eyes.

Brian in Atl, I'm thinking Elsworth could see that Alma was using. Either that of he assumed she was thinking of Clench while kissing him. Either one would probably be enough to set him running.

Moon Beagle, ITA!! Trixie needs to get over herself.

Stupiddamnbitch

Stupiddamnbitch

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:08 PM

Ellsworth knew that Alma was high and only cozying up to him because of the drugs.
Poor Hostetler. But to kill yourself because Steve the Drunk is calling you a liar?
I was hoping to see Bullocks reaction when he saw what was written on that board and signed by Steve-(I fucked Bullock's horse)Too bad the writing was gone!

I had to turn away from the fight as soon as I saw that eye come out.

kookiejar

kookiejar

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:10 PM

AuntiePam, you need to lock your fuckin' door.

Carrabuda

Carrabuda

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:10 PM

I am a little surprised at Ellsworth moving out -- would have thought he'd stick around to try to help her. (Or have I just seen too many Lifetime movies?) It's definitely the right thing for him to do, though, and I hope he'll keep Sophia with him for as long as possible.

Also, for some reason, I interpreted Alma's dosing up as something she did in part to give her courage to approach Ellsworth, rather than getting high and then deciding to do that. I think maybe she wants to be a good wife to him but can't do it with all her baggage.

Dan. <hand on heart>

What the hell was all that with the old, sick actor? Is that Jack's lover?

ETA: What Guy Crouchback said, was the fuckin' point I was endeavorin' to fuckin' make.

Edited by Carrabuda, Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:14 PM.

Cactus Wren

Cactus Wren

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:11 PM

Oh my god, oh my god. Oh ... mygod.

Oh my god, poor Dan. Poor Hostetler, a man of honor trapped in a world that won't allow him to be even a man. Poor everybody, I think. Poor Bullock, facing Hearst down, and I could just read his thoughts: "I need very badly to kill someone right now, and you are my first choice." Poor Alma, using again -- and poor little Sofia, not yet realizing that her new mother is abandoning her. Poor Doc, he just ... wants ... to fucking ... HELP.

Moon Beagle is right -- compared to that, the Bullock-Swearengen set-to might as well have been fought with pillows.

Edited by Cactus Wren, Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:14 PM.

Guy Crouchback

Guy Crouchback

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:13 PM

I thought we were leading up to Alma leading up to sleeping with Ellsworth because she was in a heedless dope haze. But this episode made it look more like a big part of the reason for being in the dope haze was a way of steeling herself to sleep with Ellsworth. The careful preparation before she went to knock on his door, moving the mirror slightly (so she wouldn't see herself in the middle of the act?), the way she kept her eyes closed a little too long, all of it seemed more like her consciously working herself up to do something, instead of just following some sudden desire. I guess her thinking is that if she could force herself into a normal marital relationship with Ellsworth, then maybe she could eventually be happier and even grow to truly love him, instead of feeling like she was living a lie, pining for Bullock. (By the way, Jim Beaver, who plays Ellsworth, posts on the HBO board, and he confirmed the other day that the Ellsworths have not had sex up to this point, despite how some people interpreted his "conjugal relationship" remark in the last episode.)

As for the fight, God. All. Mighty. I had been slightly spoilered about the eye gouging, but it was still a hell of a thing to see. And apparently historically accurate. You read about eyes being torn out and ears being bitten off in accounts of frontier fist fights.

Edited by Guy Crouchback, Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:14 PM.

cinnderly

cinnderly

Loyal Viewer

Best fucking show on TV.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

I'm not sure Hearst was really grieving for Turner. He may have deceived himself into believing that Turner was his friend, but as he said, he only has use for those who obey him.

Al's reign may seem similar, but deep down, you know that Dan, Johnny and even Trixie respect and care for him. I contend that Dan's victory sprang from his desire to win for Al. Turner fought like hell, but in the end, he was only a pawn. Dan was a soldier.

Edited by Moon Beagle, Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:17 PM.

kookiejar

kookiejar

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:15 PM

Might I also add (now that my mind is starting to catch up to my heart) that with the addition of Dennis Christopher as a member of Langrishe's troupe (the younger man who is not sick), Deadwood adds yet another actor of considerable talent. Too bad that with so much else going on in the camp we probably won't get to see what he can really bring to the party. Well played Deadwood. Must try to get some sleep now (as if I can after seeing that fight-yuck).