Favorite and least favorite moments in Survivor history

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

101 replies to this topic

growsonwalls

growsonwalls

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 4:38 PM

Ah, let's remember some good times. I have a few:

1. Sue's rats/snakes speech. Still the best hate-speech in Survivor history, especially for its literary complexity. Shakespeare would have stolen that speech.

2. The Rotu4 ouster. Ah, good times. Their sheer stupidity of revealing the pecking order so obviously at the IC, followed by John's whimpering and tears after he was voted out was, as Neleh said, "hilarious."

3. Non-dead Granny Fairplay. Yes I know it was cheap but still, watching Buddy Fairplay come out with the Fairplay fingers and then saying, "She died, dude" was hysterical. Even better was when he was like "I tried to cry." Bwahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Shane: "I will kill you. No I will. I will go to your shitty apartment and kill you and drive up to my club and that will be it."
Courtney: "Why do you say I have a shitty apartment!"

5. Burton cooly "killing" Rupert at the immunity challenge and then Rupert being ousted. I have a special place in my heart for Burton and Fairplay just for that moment.

6. The start of the Greatest Love Story in Survivor History: Ian and Tom's drunken, romantic "slowdance," replete with an arm twirl, Ian "dipping" Tom, and reaching in for an almost kiss. I swear, those two should just move to Vermont and get married.

7. Lex getting booed at the Reunion. My god, that was hysterical, as he fully expected to be cheered for his morality bullshit, and was instead booed for the crazy idiot he was/is.

8. "Somebody call a whambulence, Terry's crying on the course!!!!!!!!!!!" Aras will have my eternal love for that line.

9. The drunks. Fairplay going to TC completely hammered, and getting the staredown from Jeff. Tom, the tough macho Irish fireman, turning into a slurring, "I love everybody" falling-on-his-ass lush after a few swigs of rum. I am the world's cheapest date in that I find totally embarrassing drunkenness funny.

10. Lill suddenly growing a backbone in her final statement to the incredibly hypocritical, snotty jury. All season long we'd seen Lill wimper and pout and I wanted to slap her silly, but when she boldly declared that all the talk of her tainted honor and integrity was "bullshit" I suddenly admired her and even wanted her to win. She essentially told Rupert, Christa et al to shove it, and that she had outplayed them. Not that it mattered because her fate was sealed before she even sat down at TC, but still, it was refreshing seeing her finally stand up for herself.

LEAST favorite moments in Survivor history:

1. Jenna Morasca wins the million.

2. America and Mark Burnett gives Rupert the million (ugh).

3. Tom's treatment of Ian in the last episode of Palau. Soooo hypocritical and ugly, and something I'd never expect from the guy. Likewise, Ian being guilted into quitting.

4. Vecepia wins the million.

5. Paschal's not so subtle racism towards Sean. I can't believe no one ever called him for those comments about Sean being from "Harlem" and a bunch of other little comments. Pappy indeed.

6. Lex, Kathy and Big Tom's speeches to Rob on ASS. Such fucking hypocrites and idiots.

7. Rich grinding Sue. Totally sleazy, unnecessary, had nothing to do with strategy, just revealed what a slimeball Rich really was.

8. Sarge damning Twila's son to hell. Maybe the cruelest, most sadistic moment of Survivor history. Enough to reduce tough-as-nails Twila to tears. Many times I kind of enjoy the hypocritical bullshit that's thrown around at the final TC, but there was nothing fun about that.

9. The transformation of Steph from Palau to Guatemala. She turned into such a bitch so fast in Guatemala. Likewise, Kathy from Marquesas to All-stars. I never knew she could be so self-pitying and, well, idiotic.

10. Shii-Ann's "TAKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!" rant after she won one sorry IC. God, I hated her.

Kaylee529533

Kaylee529533

Posted Jul 10, 2006 @ 7:42 AM

Favorite:
1. Shii-Ann's "Take That" when she won immunity--God, I loved her.

2. Colby Donaldson didn't seem so big and strong when up against some real physical competition in ASS. He should have never left the Outback.

Least Favorite:
1. Any anti-female rant/what can they do? bits--Rob C. in the Amazon, Fairplay in Pearl Islands, there must be others.

2. Any "lazy black man" edits. All competitors had their good and bad days, and I don't think that the contestants themselves were racists, either--I think that producers asked if Nick or Sean or Gervase or whoever was lazy again and again and again until they got the answer that they wanted. All they needed was the word "lazy" to come out of someone's mouth, and they were off to the races.

3. Rupert attacking Fairplay.

hegellite

hegellite

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 12:26 PM

Favorite Moments:

5. Boston Rob picking Colby up and chucking him into the water at the IC. V. sexy.

4. When Andrew/Ryan O. outlasted Rupert/Shawn/Trista holding those weights at the IC

3. Danni beating Steph. Ha! She outwitted Steph on every level.

2. Amber dumping Kathy into the drink.

1. Boston Rob kicking Ethan's ass at rope-untying and Chapera winning that pivotal challenge.

Best Ever: Boston Rob goading Rupert and Big Tom to "go at it." Heee heee. So funny.

Least Favorite Moments:

5. Richard grinding up against Sue

4. Sandra throwing away the fish

3. Terry whining about the rules and how he could have won

2. The idol worship of Steph and letting her coast to F2

1. Tom browbeating Ian

Worst Ever: Boston Rob losing All-Stars.

Edited by hegellite, Aug 24, 2006 @ 12:29 PM.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 12:58 PM

Favorites:

My favorite moments are now going to have to include Fairplay getting beaten by Yau Man in the sprint to the II, and then getting his head clonked on the side of the boat for good measure.

While I'm here:

Lisi managing to hurt herself in a mental challenge by falling off the platform and doing a face plant into the dirt.

Robb (Thailand) trying to throttle Clay in the middle of a challenge. Granted, Clay was annoying...

Ami and Leann getting blindsided at TC.

Alex, Edgardo and Mookie getting blindsided at TC.

The Aitu 4 winning challenge after challenge after the mutiny left them down four people to Raro's eight.

Cirie organizing that 3:2:1 vote.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

Ami and Leann getting blindsided at TC.

Alex, Edgardo and Mookie getting blindsided at TC.

Same here. To be more detailed, I especially enjoyed the reactions. For the first one, seeing Ami pissed, Julie stunned, and Leann flabbergasted was awesome. Followed by Eliza smirk, and Chris' smirk and wink at her. Awesome. For the second, it was Edgardo's smug grin dropping one his first vote was read, and the perfect shot, where the camera was focused on a stunned Mookie, but you could see Earl behind him, with a big old grin on his face. Awesome, again.

Other favorite moments:

Yul winning by one vote.

Jonathan flipping on Raro. Nathan had his head in his hands before the final vote, and when Jeff called his name, seeing his Nate's head shoot up all "What?!", was priceless.

Jonathan revealing that Yul had the idol to Raro, and seeing Adam slowly raise his head (which was also in his arms beforehand), with a completely dumbfounded expression.

The final immunity challenge in Guatemala, where Steph struggled, whined, and moaned her way through it, while Danni seemed to be almost bored.

Basically, all of Earl's reactions to the bitter jury members. Especially Lisi's.

Michelle taking a nasty tumble off the platform, only to jump back on there, like nothing happened.

Edited by thuganomics85, Feb 9, 2008 @ 4:04 AM.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 10:40 PM

Michelle taking a nasty tumble off the platform, only to jump back on there, like nothing happened.

Ha! I'd forgotten that one. All the better that it was behind the main action so most of the people at the challenge didn't even know it happened. But the tv audience got this wonderful shot of her dancing, bouncing back and forth, cheering her tribe on and then off the side she goes with this startled little squeak. And bounces right back up again, laughing.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2008 @ 10:20 PM

As stated, the "Horsemen" being blindsighted was awesome, but I think the only moment ever on Survivor that actually compelled me to physically leave my chair in excitement was when Danielle beat Terry in the final Immunity Challenge. Thanks, Chiclets! Another excellent moment was every time the Aitu4 kicked ass in an Immunity Challenge.

Likewise, the only moment that sent me into a bout of rage was Kelly being voted out of Africa. I was young and far too invested in Reality Television and the fate of my favorites. I'm still anxiously awaiting the release of Africa on DVD, especially since Kelly's placement on both Allstar seasons have been a bust. C'est la vie.

Any moment involving Lex, Terry, Tom B., Joanna, Alex/Mookie/Edgardo/Lisi, Rupert, Rocky, Judd, and the rest of the asshole crew were sure to be accompanied by an eyeroll.

And, I am man enough to admit that my eyes got misty when Jenna Morasca quit the game, Jenna Lewis didn't receive the tape from her daughters, and Rob got all teary during Allstars when Amber swapped tribes.

Edited by Oholibamah, Feb 9, 2008 @ 10:21 PM.

Cadenza

Cadenza

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2008 @ 12:22 AM

Favourite moments:

- Pearl Islands: Lill outlasts effing Fairplay during the final immunity challenge and proceeds to boot his ass at TC. It wasn't just the satisfaction of seeing the ever-bragging egotist defeated, but defeated by batty, unstable, elderly Lill, of all people.

- can't argue with the Alex/Eguardo (Fiji), the Ami & co. (Vanuatu), and the Candace/Raro (Cook Islands) bootings

- Africa: Brandon & Frank's movie date

- China: watching Todd's "brilliant" plan go up in smoke when Denise just can't eat the balut

- Australia: when the camp is flooded, Tina swims across a swollen river in the dark to rescue the rice. Gutsy and badass.

- It took 13 seasons to find a likable winner and it was worth the wait: Yul wins! Yul wins!

Least favourite moments:

- Amazon: all the highschoolery perpetrated by Jenna and Heidi

- Africa: all the "anti-old people" . . . ery perpetrated by Samburu

- Thailand and All-Stars: experiencing weeks and weeks of frustration as contestants fail to vote out the obvious threat (Brian & Rob, respectively) . . . threats that are openly making F3 and F4 alliances with everyone. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE DO THE MATH?!

- Another vote for Tom laying an illogical and hypocritical guilt trip on Ian during Palau. Total grossness.

- Any final TC where council members act like hypocritical jackasses. So, like, all of them.

khaavren

khaavren

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2008 @ 2:53 AM

Least Favourite: Any of a myriad of Morasca moments. It started when she tried to quit (would have been the first ever quit, if you don't count BB), then all the aforemention high school nonsense, then actually quitting. If your mother is that sick, you don't go on Survivor. Sheesh.

Add in all the quitters. Morasca, Sue, Osten, Janu, all quitters who tainted the show.

Favourite moment: The blindside jury votes of Leanne and Edgardo were awesome.
Chris' manipulation of the jury in the final TC of Vanuatu.
Brian's as well in Thailand.
Lex's being backstabbed by Mariano. Almost made ASS worth watching again. Almost.

ChiJeff

ChiJeff

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Movie buff, reader, beer drinking Chicago Bear fan, tennis player. LOST groupie. A Survivor wannabe who realizes I'm not tough enough. I require coffee and cigarettes. Amazing Race wannabe who isn't all that thrilled with airports or flying. Too gay to be straight and too straight to be gay. I'm a Geminii so I'm allowed to be a mass of contradictions.

Posted Mar 13, 2008 @ 3:35 PM

I have lots of favorite moments and many have already been listed here so I will just state my least favorite. The Outcast twist. It struck me as wrong that booted players were allowed to return. As much as I disliked FairPlay had he made it to the final two against Lil I would have been rooting for him to win. Once you are voted out your game should be over.

khaavren

khaavren

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2008 @ 1:40 PM

New addition to my least favourite moments last night: Watching Penner leave the game. That just sucked.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2008 @ 9:27 PM

Right with you, khaavren. I was trying to hold it together, but when Jonathan got onto the boat and he just lost it, crying with that look of total despair on his face, I lost it, too. I don't want to re-watch that scene (way too soon) just to find out, but did they play that craptastic music they played when Jenna M. quit? If so, I'm glad I blocked it out. I also thought it was touching that Parvati and Eliza seemed genuinely devastated as well.

Edited by riley702, Mar 15, 2008 @ 12:26 AM.

Quiet Gecko

Quiet Gecko

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

I don't want to re-watch that scene (way too soon) just to find out, but did they play that craptastic music they played when Jenna M. quit?

I can't remember what music played over Morasca's departure from ASS, but I definitely recognized the music from last night -- at least that last piano bit when Jonathan was leaving in the boat -- as being a more somber version of the "fallen comrades" score from Cook Islands. (Yes, I actually hunted that down on Youtube to make sure I wasn't going completely crazy, and then Dalton Ross on EW confirmed it in his recap and rendered all my hard work for naught!) Aw, that's...really kind of appropriate, as cheesy as the whole Walk of Dead Survivors may be. Hearing that particular musical cue again here kind of drove it at all home for me.

And I'm with both of you: Jonathan going out like that just plain sucked. I would've been bummed with his departure had he been voted out, but seeing him taken out of the game by an injury and crying as the boat took him away was awful.

Hot Pink

Hot Pink

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2008 @ 3:49 PM

I don't know whether it was amazing or horrible, but one of the moments I'll never forget is when Neleh (Marquesas) came back from a reward with no extra food for her tribemates and took a mint out of her mouth and offered to split it with them.

Edited by Hot Pink, Mar 16, 2008 @ 3:50 PM.

Ashe

Ashe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2008 @ 8:42 PM

khaarven
New addition to my least favourite moments last night: Watching Penner leave the game. That just sucked.

That one's actually on my "most" list.

Along with Jamie and Judd's blindsiding in Guatemala.

Cirie engineering Courtney's 3-2-1 vote.

Jonathan's vote-off in Cook Islands.

Yul beating Ozzy by one vote in Cook Islands.

And, yes, the Alex/Edgardo/Mookie blindside in Fiji.

I'll also add Dave's vote-off in China after being so sure his contributions to camp life would trump Sherea's challenge bad-ass self.

Jaime and Peih-Gee's challenge-throwing maneuver in China (needed better poker faces, yes, but it was still a good idea).

Peih-Gee wins the F8 Immunity Challenge after over half of the original Fei Longs opt to sit out and eat.

James's blindsiding after not playing his idol in China.

And for some more current ones, Tracy getting Joel to target Mikey B. instead of Chet in Micronesia.

Also, Joel's subsequent vote-off in Micronesia.

As for least favorites:

Judd winning his feud with Margaret by outlasting her in Guatemala.

Aras outright Cirie and Melinda that one of them was on the chopping block in Exile Island.

Terry dominating the Immunity Challenges, all while wasting his idol.

Any vote Jonathan dodged in Cook Islands just because of what he did around camp.

Ozzy's challenge-throwing maneuver in Cook Islands (for some reason, I didn't like or respect it the way I did Jaime and Peih-Gee's).

Nate's "nancy boy" comment about Brad in Cook Islands.

Michelle's horrible screwing over in Fiji, coupled with Alex's Tribal Council manipulation that same episode.

Dre and Cassandra's jury questioning by Alex and Lisi in Fiji.

Todd's smug faces whenever anything went right for him in China (especially the Jean-Robert and Peih-Gee boots -- HATE!).

To be more current, Mary's blindsiding in Micronesia (only because of Joel's smug face when it happened).

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2008 @ 11:43 PM

Africa: all the "anti-old people" . . . ery perpetrated by Samburu

I still feel like it was the reverse; the older Samburu members seemed very anti-young people and were, in fact, the ones who made the initial move toward excluding the younger members. But YMMV.

Six X Nine is42

Six X Nine is42

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 12:00 AM

favorite moments in no order

- the ridiculously long and awesome final immunity in Palua
- Colby dropping Jerri on her butt and telling her to hang herself in Australia
- Amanda shooting herself in the foot at the final tribal (I didn't want to vote anyone out, yes I was the mastermind) in China
- Burton in his underpants..... aaaaahhh Pearl Islands
- Kelly getting owned in a rowing competition against a guy who can't swim in Borneo
- Aras breaking his butt on a champagne bottle in Exile Island
- Courtney and Shane in the. most. insane. final. tribal. EVER. Terrible season but omg worth it. Exile Island
- Courtney's one-liners. My apartment's not small. What's a poseur?
- Sandra's antics in the Pearl Islands. The fish and letting Christa take the blame.. her terribleness in challenges... her hiding in the bushes with Tijuana and eavesdropping
- Ethan falling over constantly in the first challenge in Africa
- the worst tribe in Survivor history and their inability to do anything... Palua in case you needed to know, although the fans are pretty pathetic too.
- Amy's facial expressions throughout Guatemala
- Jamie's inexplicable ineptitude at cutting rope. And then his tribe thinking Brandon was a superman for knowing how to cut. a. rope. Guatemala
- Becky and Sundra trying to make fire for-e-ver Cook Islands

Least favorite moments
- Judd going crazy at tribal on Margaret. Also his comments that Stephanie ate more on Survivor than he does at home. Never say that about a woman.
- Dreamz speaking. I dunno what he said, but it had to stop. Let's add Lisi and Stacy to that list too.
- this season, telling the older people to make their own shelter. What was that?
- Sue shrilly screaming and spitting at Probst as she leff ASS... and the fact that she got a lot of money from that.
- Hatch playing with his stomach in Borneo. Shudder
- Rob's inability to pronounce his wife's name. Ambuh Ambuuuhhh!!! I coulda been a contendah! You're not Brando!
- Osten trying to chase off Pelican Pete.
- Lill coming back. Worst twist ever. Also her immediate quote on the matter "But some of the same people who voted me off are still here." Well yes Lill, that's how the game works, and your inability to understand that is why you should not be in it.
- Any physical challenge where people get hurt
- Probst being all sanctimonious about how terrible quitting is. Most of them are really sick or injured and it's not a choice. Who is he to judge?
- Purple rock. Total bollocks.
- Strangling in Thailand.
- Spelling for dummies. World scramble with a ridiculous quantity of letters. Sandra vs. Darrah vs. Lill for the winner of the least illiterate (Darrah)
- Fairplay grinning for the camera at tribal.
- the Latino tribe throwing that challenge to get rid of Billy and grinning the whole time. Sooo arrogant and ugly Cook Islands Totally wins for least favorite moment ever.

Ashe

Ashe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2008 @ 11:45 PM

Six X Nine is42
- the Latino tribe throwing that challenge to get rid of Billy and grinning the whole time.

Didn't only Ozzy grin? I remember Cristina hating the whole thing.

Gotta throw in Chet's cop-out this season as a least favorite, by far.

Six X Nine is42

Six X Nine is42

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 12:37 AM

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure JP was laughing too. Cecilia seemed fine going along with it. I really just hated that on top of throwing the challenge, they make a point of dumping him on his butt and blaming the loss on him.

What cop-out?

Ashe

Ashe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2008 @ 6:15 AM

Chet copped out on what could've been the greatest blindsiding ever (taking out Ozzy before the merge) and let himself get voted out because of a coral injury. In doing so, he screwed over his closest ally, Tracy, who was the next to go. It's for that that I picked it as a least favorite moment.

Ashe

Ashe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 9:38 PM

New favorite moment: The blindsiding of the increasingly-arrogant Ozzy at the F9 of Micronesia.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 11:57 PM

I have to agree. As much as they've talked about this forever, I was beginning to think they would never do it. I was so torn, though... I wanted Jason to get slapped down, so we wouldn't have to endure the gloating, self-congratulatory confessionals next week. But on the other hand - they blind-sided Ozzy!

khaavren

khaavren

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 12:29 AM

Yeah, the Ozzy blindside goes on my list. And I actually like Ozzy. I had predicted that they'd talk about booting Ozzy, then mention one of the girls to distract us, and boot Jason, but the Inevitability Tour 2008 is over.

DoctorJest

DoctorJest

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2008 @ 2:00 PM

To be more current, Mary's blindsiding in Micronesia (only because of Joel's smug face when it happened).

That was Mikey, the immature manchild, not Joel, the unfrozen caveman. Joel arranged that blindside.

Ashe

Ashe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2008 @ 8:10 PM

And he got all smug about it when it worked. Mikey B. just got all the smug knocked out of him when it happened.

Illyria

Illyria

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 6:35 PM

5. Boston Rob picking Colby up and chucking him into the water at the IC. V. sexy.

Oh my gosh yes.

Random others that come to mind:

- Tina swimming out into the swollen river in the middle of the night to retrieve their last tin of rice

- Amanda calmly brushing off Denise's desperate suggestions for an alliance during the bowl-stacking IC

- The look on Boston Rob's face in All-Stars when they brought out fafaru

Ashe

Ashe

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 6:02 PM

For a new best:

Amanda saving herself with the hidden Immunity Idol in Micronesia and, in the process, sending home Alexis.

Christina07

Christina07

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2008 @ 12:20 PM

My favorite moments are now going to have to include Fairplay getting beaten by Yau Man in the sprint to the II, and then getting his head clonked on the side of the boat for good measure.

That is a close second to my all time favorite moment, Sue's snakes and rats speech. After all these seasons I still love it.

My least favorite moment is after Yau Man gave Dreamz the car, Dreamz stabbed him in the back. I hated it.

drew156

drew156

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2008 @ 11:20 PM

Okay, does anybody remember an early RC in Africa when there was a big huge rolling rock that the two tribes had to roll in a race to win a reward? Boran had an easy lead in the beginning, but then Samburu caught up and rolled their boulder OVER KimJ and Kelly? I just thought that was hilarious for some reason and I've never forgotten it.

Edited by drew156, May 12, 2008 @ 11:24 PM.

Ashe

Ashe

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2008 @ 11:42 PM

For a new favorite moment: The Black Widow Brigade snowing Erik into giving up immunity at the F5 Tribal Council in Micronesia, promptly leading to his elimination.

For a least favorite moment: The choice to switch from an F3 back to an F2 with no word to the castaways in the just-ended Micronesia. It screwed Cirie badly.

Another least favorite moment: The entire jury questioning in that same season (except for Jason).

Edited by Ashe, May 13, 2008 @ 9:34 PM.