The Three Doctors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

17 replies to this topic

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

• Interests:Languages, traveling, music, learning as much as I can, good television and movies, writing

Posted Jul 4, 2006 @ 4:18 PM

Finally was able to watch the end of this today. I really enjoyed it, despite its sometimes-cheesy dialogue and always-cheesy special effects. The Doctors had fun interactions with each other. Their telepathic councils were... interesting.

Omega was rather annoying, in that almost all that he could say seemed to be, "I created this world! It was created through my will, through my will all this was created! etc., etc." But, as the first evil Time Lord I've encountered, he was interesting.

The cheesiest scene had to be when Three was fighting Omega 'in his mind' or whatever. Heh. But I did like that Jo had some significant input, to get the Doctors to realize that they could also use the Singularity. And even though I guessed this would happen, it was still pleasing that this was the cause of the Time Lords allowing the Doctor to leave Earth again.

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

• Interests:Posting on message boards, watching television programs, posting on message boards about television programs, it's a full life...

Posted Jul 4, 2006 @ 9:31 PM

Mack the Spoon writes:

Omega was rather annoying, in that almost all that he could say seemed to be, "I created this world! It was created through my will, through my will all this was created! etc., etc." But, as the first evil Time Lord I've encountered, he was interesting.

The pathos of Omega's plight fascinated me; Stephen Thorne gave a very committed performance, and while I welcome the new series' stressing of grounded emotional issues, I also enjoyed the old series' attempt to dramatize cosmic ideas that have absolutely no root in human experience, because it makes for much more unusual viewing.

The cheesiest scene had to be when Three was fighting Omega 'in his mind' or whatever. Heh.

I really liked that scene-the strange lighting, the bizarre Omega costume, and the slow-motion all combined to create a fascinating atmosphere.

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

• Interests:Writing, reading, TV (The X-Files, Fringe, Doctor Who, Life, Bones, Numb3rs, NCIS, Firefly, Buffy, Angel), movies, music, languages

Posted Jul 5, 2006 @ 2:55 PM

About the fight between Omega's "evil side" or whatever and the Doctor, I wondered why the Second Doctor didn't join forces with Three to help him fight, like they joined forces to use the Singularity. I know the Third Doctor has all the kung-fu skillz, but wouldn't two Doctors still have had a better chance of fighting him off?

WeaselNeyer

WeaselNeyer

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 4:26 PM

I just got this dvd today and watched it with my sister. I absolutely loved it. Yes, Omega was rather campy, and the fight between Omega and Three was not the best, but the interaction between Two and Three was marvelous. Two's indignation at three's disregard for his recorder was priceless.

It is rather sad that William Hartnell was so sick. I would have loved to seen more interaction with him and the other two.

Edited by WeaselNeyer, Aug 24, 2006 @ 4:28 PM.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 5:47 PM

I really enjoyed this one too but

I really liked that scene-the strange lighting, the bizarre Omega costume, and the slow-motion all combined to create a fascinating atmosphere.

that scene reminded me of the bad guy in a really cheesy Japanese movie that I think they punked on MST3000. It WAS however very 60's and trippy, so it had its charms.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 6:32 AM

The Three Doctors in one of those stories where you really do have to take your brain off the hook, and wallow in the silly. My personal favourite moment has to be when the Brigadier opens the door to discover the whole of UNIT hq has been moved somewhere else. There's this fantastic musical sting, which I can only describe as what you'd get if the barrel organ grinder got a bit bored, and let the monkey jump up and down on the keys for five seconds. But I think DWM summed up the Three Doctors best - like all ten year olds, Doctor Who celebrated its birthday with some old friends, a magician and a lot of jelly.

joshleejosh

joshleejosh

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2006 @ 5:31 PM

It is rather sad that William Hartnell was so sick. I would have loved to seen more interaction with him and the other two.

I enjoyed the little of Hartnell that we got, though; he gives the impression that if he hadn't been stuck in that bubble, the whole story would have been a tidy little two-parter, and that Two and Three would have been better behaved (which would have been less amusing, but whatever).

Every time Omega walks into the frame, I expect Sun Ra and his Arkestra to be following behind him. Space is the place!

ace27

ace27

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2007 @ 11:28 PM

I loved the interaction between 2 and 3. How they seemed to dislike what they were or had become...LOL They were very different.
Just because you are not musical....loved that line. Of course, I love the second doctor!!

Shadowknight

Shadowknight

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 12:26 AM

I always mostly remember Omega as having a lot of pathos around the time he took his mask off and the doctors sadly told him that there was NOTHING LEFT of his body. His anguish and the farewells of the companions as they left after the doctors bargained to stay in return for their freedom so Omega wouldn't be alone anymore. And again later, when they try to give him the recorder "It is the only freedom you shall ever know. Take it!" The 3rd Doctor's sadness at Omega's death, and his reception of the new part for the TARDIS and relief of getting his freedom back, coupled with trying to soften the blow for Jo by emphasizing that he can't leave yet.

I know there were cheesy parts, but it's the really serious, emotional parts I remember the most.

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

• Interests:Writing, reading, TV (The X-Files, Fringe, Doctor Who, Life, Bones, Numb3rs, NCIS, Firefly, Buffy, Angel), movies, music, languages

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 9:29 PM

There was a quote from "The Three Doctors" on the imdb main page today. It made me happy. :)

Shadowknight

Shadowknight

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 10:07 PM

In case anyone misses it before they take it down:

THE DOCTOR: Keep it confused. Feed it with useless information. I wonder if I have a television set handy?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2007 @ 12:02 AM

I got this from the library on VHS. On the DVD, did they make the first organisms less flickery? Of course, they pale in ridiculousness to the monsters that Omega conjures up. What are they? Blobs of gelatin? Deep-fried chicken nuggets? So cheesy, they left trails of Velveta as they walked around.

And yes, watching Two and Three square off was fun. And you guys say William Hartness was too sick to have One get out of the time eddy? That's a shame. For one thing, I keep thinking the three Doctors should've saved the day by storming Omega's HQ, do the "Three Amigos" salute (complete with concluding pelvic thrust), and dropped the hammer on Omega. Instead, we get Two's friggin' recorder blowing everything to hell. Eh...that works, too.

About the fight between Omega's "evil side" or whatever and the Doctor, I wondered why the Second Doctor didn't join forces with Three to help him fight, like they joined forces to use the Singularity.

First of all, it's technically Three's show. Secondly, from what I've read, Three was the first Doctor to throw down on enemies. Third, I'm thinking we would've gotten scenes where Three smacked Two, and they'd wrestle it out while Omega would stand there, wondering why the Time Lords would send in two knobs like that to vanquish him.

My fave quote is still the one I heard on a homemade trailer on YouTube: "So you're my replacements, hm? A dandy and a clown!" Served, fools!

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2007 @ 11:32 AM

Okay the famous tenth anniversary episode and out of the DVDs from the old series that I have acquired so far, perhaps the best one of the bunch.

An imprisoned Omega needs a Time Lord in order to break free after being abandoned by his people so he sends a beast to ensnare The Doctor but keeps getting other things such as scientists and Bessie.

So the Time Lords decided that the First and Second Doctors need to help the Third Doctor and Jo Grant and while it must've been difficult trying to write for all three, the stranght of this special episode really comes out.

Jo gets to be pretty assertive and asks all of the smart question while Omega makes for a great baddie and the exchanges between the three incarnations of The Doctor are handled brilliantly.

Heck, even the absence of the Daleks/Cybermen/The Master doesn't deter proceedings.

Occono

Occono

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 8:59 AM

I just bought this, as I'm trying to get into the classic series and this was the only thing in the store, apart from Doctor Who: The Movie (which I also bought), that was fairly priced. Anyway, it's fairly good. Does feel like probably a bad place to jump in but still fairly enjoyable, not least for all the cheesy effects. Good extras too.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

• Interests:Doctor Who, Scarecrow & Mrs King, The Shadow (pulp and radio), Doc Savage, Old Time Radio and British Radio Drama (especially mysteries), Doctor Fu Manchu, Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Lord Peter Wimsey, Marie Corelli, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars, Zorro.

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:10 AM

Yes, I love the cheesy fun of this one, and oh yes, love the "dandy and the clown" from the First Doctor. And of course, there's no way that Two and Three would ever get along. After all the Second Doctor was forced to regenerate into the Third. Also, there's my personal favorite Benton line in the exchange "Aren't you going to say it's bigger on the inside? Everyone else does" and Benton says "That's obvious, isn't it?"

It's cheesy, but not nearly as bizarre as "The Five Doctors". Also, since I actually like Jo a lot; it's nice seeing her do stuff. The Brigadier suffers the most I think. I rather prefer his earlier days; they make him play the buffoon here, and I hate it.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

• Interests:Jigsaw puzzles, foreign languages (real and fake), reading, making costumes, popcorn, pirates, road trips

Posted Nov 9, 2008 @ 10:37 AM

The Brigadier suffers the most I think. I rather prefer his earlier days; they make him play the buffoon here, and I hate it.

It seemed like he was lifted straight out of Monty Python. I kept expecting him to admonish everyone to stop being silly.

Omega's mask reminded me of the Babylonian alien that made everyone think Daniel Jackson was really dead.

I loved Jo's outfit. It was such a perfect mix of late 60s and early 70s mod - the Leather Tuscadero hair and the tall boots and the fabulous fun fur 3/4 length sleeved coat and I just wanted the whole ensemble. I also loved how Two's collar was never even.

I enjoyed the trippiness of the Three - Omega Dark Side fight scene. It was sort of The Final Programme; heck, Three's outfit is even kind of Cornelious-y.

I think my favorite bit was when the Brig and Ollis teamed up to "do a reccie" and then use all their available forces, ie just the two of them.

suerterana

suerterana

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2009 @ 9:13 AM

I love Two and Three together

Omega's henchthings are the jello molds my grandmother makes for Christmas!!!!! I knew it was best not to eat them ; )

The Three/Omega fight was proof 60s drugs were better than 70s drugs

My first Jo Grant story and I don't like her much

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

Just finished watching this on Netflix.

I didn't like it.

I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it just seemed... off to me. Seemed to be a lot of filler to it, as well.