Charmed: It Is of the Devil and an Abomination Against God.

• Please log in to reply

11211 replies to this topic

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 9:44 AM

i have always felt that Shannen is a very strong and domineering woman who does not mince any words and sometimes that can be off-putting for some people, especially when those characteristics are associated with a woman. If she had been a man, she would have been praised for her assertiveness and strong opinions. Since she is a woman, she is labeled a bitch and difficult to work with....Gat,  Please dish, what have you heard about Alyssa...lol..Please tell us.  Plus, Shannen started expressing dissatisfaction with the show, once Connie was pushed out and Kern took the show in another direction in season 3. 

manbearpig

manbearpig

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 12:27 PM

Sorry I can't link to the article, because it doesn't seem to be online for general access. There are a few other comments from people that sort of hint she was a pain too. I really wonder how much of the problem on the set was created by Alyssa, & how much was created by Shannen.

Looks like EW put it up online today. It's a pretty fun read, and it's interesting to hear that Shannen Doherty was uncomfortable with the material in that movie because it does not show on screen. She really nailed Heather Duke, and I was actually cracking up at some of the quotes from the movie when reading the article because I could hear the line deliveries in my head. Brief mention of Charmed too, but just how Doherty gets stopped more for Charmed and 90210 than Heathers.

http://insidemovies....s-oral-history/

If Doherty's IMDb page is any indication she's been getting a lot more work lately which is a good thing. It did kind of baffle me that she only did bad TV movies and a brief stint on the 90210 reboot after Charmed, because IMO she was gave a really strong  performance as Prue.

p3nathan

p3nathan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 1:40 PM

I believe Holly said something along the lines of "there were no angels", so I think Shannen and Alyssa both played a part. But at the same time I do wonder how much Shannen's departure actually had to do with the conflict between her and Alyssa. She'd voiced a desire to leave and a dissatisfaction with the series back in season 2, so I wonder if the Alyssa stuff was less the main reason and more the final straw perhaps.

The stuff I've heard about Alyssa and her mother seems a lot like Katherine Heigl's situation to me. Alyssa seems like a very nice woman from what I've seen, but family getting involved can get complicated and sometimes comes across more like being a spoiled brat than it would if the manager wasn't your mother.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 2:10 PM

so I think Shannen and Alyssa both played a part.

I've always thought it was likely a personality conflict, but why Shannen left (or was booted) as opposed to Alyssa is a different question.

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 3:22 PM

Actually p3Nathan, Shannen started having problems with the show once Kern took over the show and after Connie's departure. I remember Holly saying they were all dissatisfied with the show during season 3. Shannen was the one who was openly against the scripts being repetitive and lacking any depth. Shannen wanted the show to be darker and more grounded in reality. I agree with that opinion. The show was so much different under Connie because she  always wanted the show to be centered around the sisters and their evolution as women, sisters and witches. Shannen and Alyssa got along really great during the first 2 seasons. Shannen was even  a bridesmaid at her first wedding. So they did get along famously at one point. Something must have shifted during season 3 between the ladies and the rest is history...I wish that the showrunners had told the ladies to get over themselves and give us the audience a damn good show....

Edited by Apprentice79, Apr 4, 2014 @ 3:23 PM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 3:51 PM

Seriously even deleted scenes and bloopers could of been the only thing added to the season 1-7 dvds

I would have LOVED deleted scenes!  In fact, I wish every show with a DVD release would edit back in the scenes normally cut for time.  Remember the episode, "Prewitched"?  The warlock was trying to get killed nine times to become immortal.  He had Phoebe kill him the most and Piper killed him once.  However, there's a scene in which all three sisters mention how they all encountered the same guy and killed him.  Prue's kill scene was missing.  It would be nice for that and other scenes to be restored, rather than placed in a different part of the DVD as an extraneous scene.

I've always thought it was likely a personality conflict, but why Shannen left (or was booted) as opposed to Alyssa is a different question.

I'm guessing Milano's Q scores were higher and Brad Kern wanted SD's constant calls for quality out of the way.  I totally agree about keeping the show grounded.  It lost so much focus as the seasons went on.  I wonder if SD cringed when Holly would tell her what was going on during filming?  Maybe thinking she'd dodged a bullet?

p3nathan

p3nathan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 4:44 PM

For those who read the comics, it has recently been announced that season 10 will start in the fall.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 8:25 PM

Wow finally, I cant believe it took them nearly 2 years to start another comic season. Good to hear its back, I'm curious what they have planned for Prue.

p3nathan

p3nathan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

Yeah I'd just started assuming it wasn't going to happen to be honest. Thrilled it is though, the end of season 9 would have been an odd ending to the whole series. Me too, I'll be curious to see what exactly her new responsibility as guardian entails. 

I also really hope that the artwork will be more consistent this season. Honestly, I think that was pretty much the only complaint I had last season. Otherwise it was great. Could have been great on TV.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 2:16 PM

Obscurus Lupa has parts 4 through 7 now up!

inkworks

inkworks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 9:13 AM

I'm rather bored at work and was wondering if you guys would tell me what your favourite Demian recaps are? I could do with a good giggle.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 6:06 AM

They're all great reads!  Demian just has a way with Charmed recaps.  Half the fun is renaming the characters;  Paige is often referred to as "Raige"! 

p3nathan

p3nathan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 9:28 AM

One recap that sticks in my mind is the kitchen scene in season 4 where Phoebe is bitching at everyone for making noise... in the kitchen... in the morning....at breakfast... on a work day... bitch! 

Also been rereading a lot of the season h8 recaps while watching Lupa's reviews.

Edited by p3nathan, Apr 10, 2014 @ 9:30 AM.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 11:09 AM

Obscurus Lupa has parts 4 through 7 now up!

I love how she calls Coop "Poop". I wish Alyssa would watch these .

I also liked her, "I don't think these are bad actors, this is just a terrible show." LOL

Edited by Writing Wrongs, Apr 10, 2014 @ 11:15 AM.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 11:25 AM

I just watched Lupa's season 8 recap and I absolutely love it. I'll say that I was naive when I first watched season 8 (mostly because I was thirteen years old and thought the show was pretty decent...except for that last season) so having Lupa point out all those points was an eye opener. Well, besides the fact that season 8 was a terrible season because even that I could agree with at thirteen. I always WAS bugged at the time travel mess of the finale.

I started watching her season 6 recaps but I worry because that was my favourite season...I worry about how my opinion will change.

Edited by jessied112, Apr 10, 2014 @ 11:26 AM.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 9:28 PM

Holly will be on next week's Hell's Kitchen.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 10:54 PM

Wow that should be interesting viewing, too bad Shannen didn't tag along with Holly, she would be fun on there too.

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 08:25 AM

I am a bit sad that this site is going away soon. You guys have been wonderful and insightful about this show. I do believe that we could have written a much better show than Kern. With that being said, I am still bummed that we did not get a showdown between EVIL Phoebe and Prue. That would have been awesome to watch. As Phoebe became more powerful with her 3 powers, her propensity to become evil would increase as well. Her duality was always fascinating to me and Kern never explored that angle to the fullest. Cole's death at the hands of the Source would have sent her over the edge.  I would have used Phoebe's descent into Evil to explore the dynamic between Prue, Piper and Phoebe. I would have also created a rift between Prue and Piper, with them blaming each other for losing their baby sister to evil.  I always hated that Piper never took Phoebe to task for her selfishness by abandoning her and choosing evil so soon after Prue's death. Prue would never have been so blase about such a betrayal. 

p3nathan

p3nathan

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 10:41 AM

If you want a showdown, you should read my fic...

http://charmedasitne..._Never_Was_Wiki

Dunno if we're supposed to link to stuff like this, but screw it, closing soon anyway!

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 10:16 PM

I am a bit sad that this site is going away soon. You guys have been wonderful and insightful about this show. I do believe that we could have written a much better show than Kern. With that being said, I am still bummed that we did not get a showdown between EVIL Phoebe and Prue. That would have been awesome to watch. As Phoebe became more powerful with her 3 powers, her propensity to become evil would increase as well. Her duality was always fascinating to me and Kern never explored that angle to the fullest. Cole's death at the hands of the Source would have sent her over the edge.  I would have used Phoebe's descent into Evil to explore the dynamic between Prue, Piper and Phoebe. I would have also created a rift between Prue and Piper, with them blaming each other for losing their baby sister to evil.  I always hated that Piper never took Phoebe to task for her selfishness by abandoning her and choosing evil so soon after Prue's death. Prue would never have been so blase about such a betrayal.

The whole Phoebe turning evil storyline needing more episodes, wasn't the original plan to have this storyline being the first half of season 5. Long Live The Queen was suppose to be the 100th episode.

That being said this storyline would of worked way better with Prue though, and I really wanted to see Prue vs. Phoebe. I hated Piper for not being more angry at Phoebe for choosing evil. The whole thing just brushed away afterwards.

If only Shannen stayed on the show for just for one more year, starting season 5 off with Paige's introduction would of at least allowed Prue to vanquish The Source, and kept Paige for the second half of the series, at least we maybe could of avoided much of season 5's crap if half those episodes were now devoted to Paige's introduction.

If you want a showdown, you should read my fic...

http://charmedasitne..._Never_Was_Wiki

Dunno if we're supposed to link to stuff like this, but screw it, closing soon anyway!

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 12:12 AM

I am so glad that you share my sentiment, west64 about the Evil Phoebe storyline. Connie had foreshadowed it in Season 1 and 2 about Evil Phoebe vs. Prue and Piper. Kern fucked it up.  It would have been a great storyline if Prue was alive in season 5. That storyline did not work with the new power of 3. Long live the Queen should have been the 100th episode. Plus, Alyssa was awesome as Evil Phoebe, she was scary and I can only imagine how great that showdown would have been between Prue and Evil Phoebe. I could see Evil Phoebe trying to steal the book of shadows for herself and using her advance premonition powers to counter her sisters' powers. It would be very ironic in that her passive power that was always a source of derision by demons in the past would now be very advantageous power on the side of evil.  Based on Connie's plans for the sisters, Phoebe's premonition powers would have been unmatched by anybody. The Evil Phoebe arch would have been a great way to shake up the dynamic of the sisters to make them stronger and better than ever...

Edited by Apprentice79, Today, 12:16 AM.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 01:37 AM

I am so glad that you share my sentiment, west64 about the Evil Phoebe storyline. Connie had foreshadowed it in Season 1 and 2 about Evil Phoebe vs. Prue and Piper. Kern fucked it up.  It would have been a great storyline if Prue was alive in season 5. That storyline did not work with the new power of 3. Long live the Queen should have been the 100th episode. Plus, Alyssa was awesome as Evil Phoebe, she was scary and I can only imagine how great that showdown would have been between Prue and Evil Phoebe. I could see Evil Phoebe trying to steal the book of shadows for herself and using her advance premonition powers to counter her sisters' powers. It would be very ironic in that her passive power that was always a source of derision by demons in the past would now be very advantageous power on the side of evil.  Based on Connie's plans for the sisters, Phoebe's premonition powers would have been unmatched by anybody. The Evil Phoebe arch would have been a great way to shake up the dynamic of the sisters to make them stronger and better than ever...

Thats right it was foreshadowed twice in Pardon my Past and Is There a Woggy in the House.

Interesting to see Phoebe's powers advance. If only they stuck to Connie's plans for the sisters. Aswell as Prue and Piper's powers, as was discussed here before, everyone agrees Piper should of not gotten the blowing up power, forgot the name. She should of been able to reverse time.

I agree it really would of shaken up the sisters and made them stronger. Watching Power Outage a while back, I loved the sisters fighting Cole and using there powers and tag teaming against a demon. This should of been used to kill the Source, maybe even using all there combined powers of nine. The spell to vanquish the Source was so stupid, calling on the Warren line, The charmed ones are suppose to be the strongest witches of all time, they don't need help.