Charmed: It Is of the Devil and an Abomination Against God.

• Please log in to reply

11219 replies to this topic

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

I don't think that Paige would have the power to blow up things because that was a power unique to Piper.. She would have had the power to freeze, since that was a power in the Warren line..If we are going by what Constance Burge originally wanted for the power of 3. Each sister would have had 2 additional powers making them having 3 powers each...Their powers were supposed to grow according to what that particular sister needed. I always felt that Piper got that second power because Kern knew that they were going to get rid of Shannon at the end of the season 3. so they had to make Piper just as powerful as Prue...If Prue had remained, she would not have been as powerful.. Piper got that power towards the end of that season. I have always been suspicious of the timing of her receiving that kick ass power.

SilverShadow

SilverShadow

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

Interesting. WE's promos for their Charmed reruns switched from highlighting Rose to Shannen for the first time ever...just as they're about to start airing Shannen's reality show. Gee, I wonder if these two events could possibly be related.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

What do you all think was the best and worst special effect used on the show?

I cannot think of anything off-hand, but I seem to recall two of them getting in a car wreck which featured a terriblr greenscreen of a car exploding behind them as they walked towards the camera.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

What would Charmed have been like with Prue, Phoebe and Paige continued on as the new Power of three? It would have been weird but interesting in a way.....

This didn't get as much discussion as the other option (Prue, Piper, Paige) probably because it would be hard to replace Piper's role as the "heart" of the Halliwells.

When Phoebe was pushed to the middle sister position in Season 4, you can see very early on how the writers were trying hard to make Phoebe become the peacemaker Piper had always been, while Paige was supposed to be the early Phoebe screw up. This didn't work for me because we ended up with two Phoebes personality wise.

If Piper had died, then presumably Paige would have been forced into the "mediator" role although I'm not sure if she would have done well at it. After all how do you mediate for two sisters you didn't grow up with or understand the source of their differences? Paige would have been very much the odd girl out. I wouldn't be surprised if Prue took out Piper's death on Phoebe to a degree and risk freezing out Paige.

She definitely would have inherited the Warren power of stopping [time], and perhaps the effect would have been shown with orbs surrounding the object or area she chooses to freeze.

Because Paige was half whitelighter, she became a wildcard who wasn't necessarily limited to the "three powers plan". She had the obligatory witch power (TKO), but had an abundance of WL powers (glamouring, orbing, healing, etc.). Still we really didn't get proper handling of the other sisters' powers and their growth. Plus, Phoebe having hers taken away.... it just got messy and the writers didn't care anymore.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

When did Phoebe get her powers back? Did she ever get all of them back or just some? That was such a bad storyline.

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Phoebe losing her powers was the worst storyline in the entire series. It made no sense at all due to established history. The sisters' powers came from Melinda Warren. It did not come from the Elders at all, therefore, they could not take them away. If the powers can be taken away so easily, bad witches would not exist. There would be no need for the Charmed ones. Phoebe became useless towards the end, Paige was more powerful and she even got the power to heal..If Constance Burge had retained control over her own show, instead of that hack Kern. That would not have happened at all. Phoebe was supposed to become a force to reckon with as the series went on. With her premonitions and that offensive power that she had in Morality Bites she would have been a kick ass witch. She could always see an attack before it happened and stop it. At her full strength, she could be unstoppable. Phoebe always felt inferior to her sisters powers, even the demons taunted her about that. Melinda Warren even told her that she was important in the power of 3 and that she had to appreciate her premonitions before she got other powers. Her father told her in the first season, that her power was coveted by witches in their family. I believe that Constance wanted each sister to have an offensive power to protect innocents and fight evil. Empathy made no sense at all.. Sadly, Phoebe became a useless and selfish hag with inflated boobs..

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

If the powers can be taken away so easily, bad witches would not exist. There would be no need for the Charmed ones.

ITA. You strip the most powerful witch[es] of their powers and leave them virtually defenseless to their enemies?? Stupid!!

Not to mention a need for beings like The Cleaners.

Empathy made no sense at all

Not necessarily. I thought empathy would have been a good fit for Phoebe, perhaps if it had been used as it seemed to have been used towards the end of Season 1 in which she has a premonition in which she could "feel" some of the elements in her prems. I also liked the idea that she could have used and controlled her empathy to be more of a counselor and lets others feel what she feels. Unfortunately it was mucked up when it was introduced as Phoebe's 3rd power, then yanked.

When did Phoebe get her powers back? Did she ever get all of them back or just some?

She did get her prems back but it didn't seem like she got the other powers back, much less learn to control them.

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I agree with your assessment Magicdog about her empathy power. It should have been an advancement of her Premonitions, not a separate power. What powers would you have given Phoebe, if you were in charge of the show. I liked her levitation power because it matched very well with her martial arts. I think that the sisters were supposed to be like the modern versions of Melinda Warren where they would each have an offensive, a defensive and a passive power, they did not have to be interrelated at all, just like Melinda.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

What powers would you have given Phoebe, if you were in charge of the show.

Sorry it took a while to answer.

I really thought about Phoebe's potential and a lot of my improvements seem rooted in extentions of her original premonition power. Being able to call prems on demand, "feel" the scene of a prem, sharing prems with others, sharing emotions (both positive and negative ones) with others (like what she did to kill Cal Greene) are the first that come to mind.

I also think the writers should have better explored her ability to mind link with people (like in "She's a Man Baby!" and "The Good The Bad & The Cursed" ). Empathy was a big part of that power so that's why I thought if done right, it would have been a good fit for her.

The levitation power never seemed right to me. It looked unnatural onscreen and being able to levitate doesn't equal flying ability. Maybe if she could fly properly (like her riding the broom in "All Halliwells Eve"), or combine it with the levitation, I might have bought it.

I remember some years back, it was debated that Prue and Phoebe were given the wrong [second] powers; Prue gained the ability to bilocate, while Phoebe received the levitation. The line of thought was, since Prue was moving objects with her mind, being able to move her body with TK enhanced ability would have been a natural fit. It was apparent during the fight in "Primrose Empath" that Prue really should have had the levitation.

Phoebe meanwhile chould have had Astral Projection the way it was used by Rex Buckland in "Wicca Envy". She could have used it to spy on others, and influence behaviors in a subtle way. That on its own would have made her quite powerful, not to mention resisting the temptation it would bring.

Or she could have developed the bilocation power instead of Prue.

I think that the sisters were supposed to be like the modern versions of Melinda Warren where they would each have an offensive, a defensive and a passive power

I'm not sure if Connie Burge had that in mind (I knew she wanted the sisters to have three powers but wasn't sure how they would develop), but that seems like a good way to gauge what could have been .

Phoebe:

Offensive power - Bilocation or AP or Empathy

Defensive power - Empathy (forcing negative emotions that kill demons)

Passive power - Premonitions

Thoughts?

Edited by magicdog, Feb 15, 2012 @ 11:17 AM.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

I remember some years back, it was debated that Prue and Phoebe were given the wrong [second] powers; Prue gained the ability to bilocate, while Phoebe received the levitation. The line of thought was, since Prue was moving objects with her mind, being able to move her body with TK enhanced ability would have been a natural fit. It was apparent during the fight in "Primrose Empath" that Prue really should have had the levitation.

I think part of the reason they didn't give Prue levitation was because she could do it by herself with her telekinesis because I remember after that episode she did use it for that purpose like in "Blinded by the Whitelighter" and "Wrestling with Demons".

I agree that Phoebe should have gotten astral projection, it really would have made a better fit. I think the reason Phoebe as a character got so bad was because when they stopped focusing on her premonition power, she was no longer in a position where she saw an innocent in danger and felt that need to help them.

GhostJack21

GhostJack21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

I think the reason Phoebe as a character got so bad

One of the reasons heh

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

The pilot, "Something Wicca This Way Comes" has returned to TNT broadcasts this morning!

How I miss the original recipe Charmed Ones (sorry Paige fans) and the more grounded early seasons of this show!

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

Sorry for the tardiness with my reply. I happen to think that Bilocation/ astral projection was a good fit for Prue. She had a demanding job and duties as a witch to balance and that power was very useful. Just before she got that power in Ms Hellfire, she wished that there were 2 of her to balance her life. It also was good continuity with that season 1 episode where she casted a spell that created other Prues to aid her in fighting evil. The charmed ones powers' were supposed to grow according to their respective needs. With her telekinesis, her powers would grow tremendously. In time, she would have been able to create forcefields. levitate, teleport herself and others. It was very shortsighted for Kern to kill off the character. She had the potential to be great.... If she had remained a part of the show, I believe that her third power should have been telepathy. Moving on to Phoebe, she had the potential to be great with her premonitions. She should have been able to get premonitions on command without having to touch. Her second power should have been that lightning power that she had in the future in season 2. I believe that she needed an offensive power to be able to protect herself and others. Levitation is not useful when fighting demons in the long run. I also believe that she should have been given the power to copy other people's power as a defensive power. For example, if a demon throws a power ball at her, she would be able to copy that power. She would only be able to access that power temporarily. The show gave her that power, but they called it empathy. Empathy should have been an advancement of her premonitions, not a separate power. That is why they did not give Prue levitation because she could already do that with her telekinesis. Piper's powers had the potential to be great as well. Piper should have been able to slow down, rewind and fast-forward time. Her second power made me her powerful and I loved that. AS usual, Kern the hack dropped the ball on that as well. If he had concentrated on advancing their original powers, the sisters would really have been the most powerful witches of all time.

ViceofRach

ViceofRach

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

I agree with everything that you've said Apprentice79, some excellent points about where the powers could have gone over the course of the series. Even though the sisters developed additional powers, they still could have developed their initial powers which could have manifested and changed as they grew more powerful. I really think you make a valid point concerning Phoebe and the power she displayed in Morality Bites. It would have been awesome to see her get this power and how she would feel about it considering what happened in the future, it would have made a great little episode. I was always annoyed at how premonitions were slowly phased out of the show, it was a fantastic power which had potential to be great. Phoebe at points could feel emotion and pain through her premonitions and it would have been nice to see this develop into her literally living them out, going into that moment and observing, maybe becoming the person affected? For a show about witches, it seemed odd that they didn't explore powers more and advance them further. Powers are an easy way of helping to develop the leads and throw up new plots. Do I want to see Phoebe's new boyfriend? Not really, but do I want to see her develop a power that impacts on her social life? Yes. (ok, as long as she doesn't moan too much).

I was thinking about the character of Paige again and maybe I'm remembering wrong but did she really have any storylines with much emotional weight behind them post season 5? I kind of enjoyed the return of Glenn as an engaged man but thought it was dealt with in a really ham fisted manner. I know Rose McGowan isn't as good an actress as Shannen or Holly but she's still decent when she wants to be. The original charmed ones had so much history, we know way more about them than Paige. With Paige it seems like whole chunks of her life are missing. How did she straighten herself out after her rebellious stage? What happened with her supposed alcoholism? Did she live with her aunt and uncle and what were they like? Where did she work through university, what did she do during college? Paige isn't a Halliwell, she had a completely different life which we never really got to learn about. I think we would have understood her more as a character and she would have grown more as a character if her story had been worked on more. Her character def needed fleshing out more. It felt like Paige was Phoebe 2.0 but slightly more bohemian. Any thoughts on how her character could have been different or more defined? (don't get me wrong I like Paige just feel like her character was underused)

Edited by ViceofRach, Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:00 PM.

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

Thanks, I'm glad that you like my ideas. I liked Paige as well, but, I agree with your assessment of her. I never really got to know her she remained a mystery to me at the end of the series. She was not very developed as a character. I think it is because the series was originally about Prue, Piper and Phoebe. Backstage shenanigans changed the narrative. They created Paige to fill a void, but, it never really gelled for me. The chemistry was never the same and consequently, the series lost something special. They tried to make the new Power of 3 like the original one. The roles were clearly defined with the Original 3. They each brought something different and unique in the series. Paige would have been better as a recurring character that would help the sisters from time to time with demon fighting. She could have been the daughter of Grams' brother. I hated that they said that the family only produced daughters and never sons. I would have loved to have met other members of the Halliwell family that had their powers, but were not charmed. Paige would be telekinetic like Prue. I forgot to mention in my other post, that piper would get the power to create illusions as her third power. I know that in the comic book series, she got the power to melt things. I don't think it fits with Piper's personality. She already has an offensive power, she does not need another.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:48 AM

With her telekinesis, her powers would grow tremendously. In time, she would have been able to create forcefields.

I don't know about that one since Prue used to use her TK to lob an energy ball back at an opponent, but I like it anyway. I definitely agree with her developing Telepathy. It would have been a great way for all three sisters to communicate around an enemy, especially during a fight. I can just imagine Piper and Phoebe telling Prue to get out of their heads!

piper would get the power to create illusions as her third power

I'm totally on board with this!

Paige would have been better as a recurring character that would help the sisters from time to time with demon fighting. She could have been the daughter of Grams' brother. I hated that they said that the family only produced daughters and never sons. I would have loved to have met other members of the Halliwell family that had their powers, but were not charmed.

ITA. We really needed to see other Halliwell branches and how they dealt with not being Charmed, but could also do their part in demon fighting. The infamous Halliwell family tree showed Grams having a brother. Even if the men in the family were born without powers (but could produce witchy offspring) it still could have been interesting to see. It seemed as if the 4 P's were the only living Halliwells left despite clues that might not necessarily have been the case. Grams was born in Boston so it's possible some Warren descendents still lived in the area. Not to mention a visit from the Bowens and the Russells (the families the Halliwells married into to create the cousins from "Pardon My Past") would have been a nice continuation. I also mentioned in a previous post that we needed to see some other Halliwell ancestors doing their thing in the past; perhaps a flashback to connect to a current demon problem.

With Paige it seems like whole chunks of her life are missing. How did she straighten herself out after her rebellious stage? What happened with her supposed alcoholism? Did she live with her aunt and uncle and what were they like? Where did she work through university, what did she do during college? Paige isn't a Halliwell, she had a completely different life which we never really got to learn about. I think we would have understood her more as a character and she would have grown more as a character if her story had been worked on more. Her character def needed fleshing out more. It felt like Paige was Phoebe 2.0 but slightly more bohemian.

Despite the post above, ITA with this as well. We had Paige and we didn't do as much with her as we could have. I had imagined Paige to have been a tough cookie considering she had to pull herself up by her bootstraps to stop drinking (I never felt like she was a full blown alcoholic however - merely a party girl who occasionally got out of control), go to college, get a job and find a place to live on her own in a tough city. As far as how Paige got through college, she mentioned having had college loans to pay, so she likely didn't work during that time and borrowed all that tuition. Unfortuately, as you mentioned, she became another Phoebe, rather than the strong girl that we only got glimpses of.

ViceofRach

ViceofRach

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Loving the idea of Piper developing the power of illusion. I think that would have been a brilliant power for a charmed one to possess and would have been really interesting.

We really needed to see other Halliwell branches and how they dealt with not being Charmed, but could also do their part in demon fighting. The infamous Halliwell family tree showed Grams having a brother. Even if the men in the family were born without powers (but could produce witchy offspring) it still could have been interesting to see. It seemed as if the 4 P's were the only living Halliwells left despite clues that might not necessarily have been the case. Grams was born in Boston so it's possible some Warren descendents still lived in the area. Not to mention a visit from the Bowens and the Russells (the families the Halliwells married into to create the cousins from "Pardon My Past") would have been a nice continuation. I also mentioned in a previous post that we needed to see some other Halliwell ancestors doing their thing in the past; perhaps a flashback to connect to a current demon problem.

Couldn't agree more with this. At least in the earlier seasons, references were made to other members of the family, so it would have been nice to see them at some point. They didn't have to be "magical", they could have had no interest in the craft or be witches but without the powers. I Love the idea of the Bowens/Russells making an appearance, that would have been a brilliant nod back to Pardon My Past. I'm sure there are a lot of possibilities plot wise that would have arisen from having relatives featured on the show even for just one episode, a small story arc, reoccurring role etc. If Kern was so desperate to incorporate a new young witch into the show in the later seasons she could have easily been a relative of the sisters who was developing her craft. It baffles me why they didn't go down this route. It would have been nice just to know of other witches, maybe have the sisters work with a coven in order to defeat an enemy. Witchcraft isn't all about exciting powers and kicking butt, it would have been great to see the more wiccan side of it. The girls could have learnt a lot from other wiccans and it makes sense that other good magical beings existed who were normal i.e. not fairies, leprechauns etc. The ancestor idea is also brilliant and makes perfect sense for Charmed, a real wasted opportunity. Learning more about their past should have made them stronger and develop more as witches.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Shannen has a movie on Syfy Channel tonight. Some kind of Hansel and Gretel story where she plays adult Gretel. I don't have high hopes for the quality on this.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

Are any of the main characters of Charmed doing anything right now (as in a movie or tv series) besides Kaley Cucou in Big Bang Theory and HMC in Pretty Little Liars?

Edited by gotta love it, Mar 2, 2012 @ 4:05 PM.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Shannen's show Preview

So sad.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

There's another reality show in which celebs are buying houses, and during the promo I could swear I saw Shannen's face amongst others. Anyone know if she's actually part of that?

any of the main characters of Charmed doing anything right now (as in a movie or tv series) besides Kaley Cucou in Big Bang Theory and HMC in Pretty Little Liars?

Alyssa did some voice work for the TV series, "Young Justice" as villianess, "Poison Ivy" a litle bit ago. She also did the voice of a different female character in one of the "DC Showcase" stories.

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

what happened to Shannen? she looks rough and much older than she really is...I was stunned by her appearance on her upcoming show on the WE channel...Alyssa and Holly look more and more beautiful as they are getting older..I always thought Shannen was gorgeous on 90210....

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

I've decided to do a rewatch of my dvds. I'm starting with Season 4 and just watched "Charmed Again". I really miss this show and reading sides and spoilers and talking about the show. Good times.

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

I, too, occasionally miss the show. The doctors here have come to know that is a sign my meds need to be adjusted and the straitjacket tightened.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 4:59 AM

what happened to Shannen?

I don't think she looks so bad.

I have noticed a gap in her front teeth I don't recall seeing before. I guess they covered that up when she was on cam.

She turned up on a commercial for getting an online degree recently.

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

I'am used to Shannen being stunning, so it was a bit disconcerting for me to see her that way. She should have been a movie star, she has the talent to be one. I think she could act better than Julia Roberts and Gwyneth Paltrow. She was the best actress on Charmed and the show lost something special after her departure. She had a way of making you love Prue, even when she was being overbearing and unyielding.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Check out this Dan meme I saw on tumblr!

Edited by gotta love it, Mar 7, 2012 @ 2:50 PM.

ViceofRach

ViceofRach

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Ok I just spat out my tea when I saw that Dan meme. Don't all hate me but I kind of liked Dan, he was funny to watch and he gave us some good love triangles!

I feel bad for Shannen, I genuinely think she is a talented actress and it's sad to see her reduced to bad made for TV movies. I don't think she would have ever been a huge film star but she should have remained a staple on TV, she was brilliant in Charmed and BH90210 and I really loved her roles in Heathers and Mallrats. Guess her reputation probably didn't help her which is a shame because with her talent she could have done so much more.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

A few pages ago, I mentioned my mom got the BOS complete series set. Apparently it does not have the All Hell Breaks Loose episode.

Has anyone heard of that happening to other sets?

Edited by Last Time Lord, Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:26 AM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Don't all hate me but I kind of liked Dan, he was funny to watch and he gave us some good love triangles!

I kinda liked Dan too but I think he was set up with the wrong sister. I think he should have been dating Phoebe.

For the record, I hated the Dan/Piper/Leo triangle. It just wasn't done well IMO. We all knew Piper and Leo would ultimately end up together. Don't get me started on all the invented marital woes the writers put on them in subsequent seasons.