Martha: Have You Met Miss Jones?

• Please log in to reply

733 replies to this topic

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Recently re watched the last 3 episodes of Series 3 and remembered how much I loved Martha and how I hated her exit. I would of preferred she left as the strong woman she had became who felt she didn't have to run from her problems or sense of dissatisfaction rather than the girl who needed to remove herself from her crush.

Ah Martha Jones, how I miss you.

Sarah1281

Sarah1281

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

I don't think she was running away from her crush. She knew that as much as she loved travelling with the Doctor it was just going to continue to bring her pain so she removed herself from a bad situation...on top of needing to help her family through the year that never was and to deal with it herself.

I really loved Martha, I just hated half of the episodes she was in. Gridlock was awful, the Daleks in Manhattan was awful, Lazarus was awful, that stupid living sun was awful...

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

I quite enjoyed 42 but from Gridlock to The Lazarus Experiment, there were some pacing problems.

Things did pick up from Human Nature/The Family Of Blood though.

Arnella

Arnella

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

From The Snowmen thread:

Martha suffered, sure, but she saved the planet and left the Doctor stronger and wiser than she was when she first met him (and she was pretty awesome to start with). I think she got the best outcome you could have--she lived her life, had adventures, helped people, and learned from the experience. She then goes on to have more adventures and help more people without needing the Doctor at all.

I agree, but I felt like the show itself had little respect for her or her choices (complete with marrying her off to a man she barely interacted with so they wouldn't have to spend time on the characters individually in the finale). I was happy Martha got to do what she wanted, that she made her own choices, but the way the show treated her in those choices seemed disapproving to me.

I was very surprised to see her and Mickey together but the actors handled it very well conveying affection without much dialog.

Then when you think about it; what romantic (or friendship) options do they have considering their extraordinary experience and who they could relate to or even TELL. Rose got meta-crisis Ten and Donna had to have her mind erased to be able to settle for a normal human guy.

Also, both Mickey and Martha WALKED AWAY from the Doctor on their own terms - another thing they have in common. They both found that they couldn't settle into normal life with their knowledge of alien danger on Earth and who else would they team up with? Martha apparently didn't want to re-join a group after her UNIT experience and Mickey would never choose to be subordinate to Jack (a Doctor-like figure) in Torchwood.

I wish they both could have been on Children of Earth as planned to flesh out their history but I'm kind of ok with it as we can imagine how it happened ourselves... I'm sure they have in fan fiction somewhere...

Edited by Arnella, Dec 30, 2012 @ 10:19 AM.

Blue Castle

Blue Castle

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

O2Sean

(complete with marrying her off to a man she barely interacted with so they wouldn't have to spend time on the characters individually in the finale)

This was kind of dumb and like Arnella said if we had been able to see Martha and Mickey develop a relationship in Children of Earth it would've been so much better. I think RTD just wanted to show the audience his plan for those two characters, but since it was such a brief moment between the two of them it just felt like a throwaway (and way too convenient and pat) ending for them.

Edited by Blue Castle, Dec 30, 2012 @ 3:39 PM.

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

I really loved Martha, I just hated half of the episodes she was in. Gridlock was awful, the Daleks in Manhattan was awful, Lazarus was awful, that stupid living sun was awful...

This. I wish Martha was given better episodes considering how awesome she actually was. I didn't care all that much about Rose, so when Martha came around I was truly shocked to enjoy a companion so much. Clever, beautiful, badass, but with a side of nerdy. I did like her exit though. Giving up on her romantic fantasies of the Doctor was one of the maturest, smartest things anyone has ever done.

XtremeOne1

XtremeOne1

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

So rewatched series. I like Martha a lot more this time around. I do feel that the "unrequited love" story hurt her as a character but when that wasn't touched on, she was a great character. She wasn't Rose. She didn't really need anyone in her life to make her a better person, she was already there. In anything, the Doctor nearly ruined her. But I feel that was her story. That while adventures were great, she had more important things to do than spend time with a guy who didn't love her. And that's fantastic to see. Everyone else needed the Doctor, but Martha discovered through her adventures that she had all that she needed. Heck even UNIT saw it. Martha Jones was a BAMF!

I wish that's who we see the whole time, because the Martha who left and who was the big hero of The Year That Never Was(despite the bad episode) was great.

Edited by XtremeOne1, Nov 28, 2013 @ 3:04 PM.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

After well over a year (from the perspective of the Doctor and herself) of service at the Doctor's side, Martha parts from the Doctor's company as she recognizes how unhealthy their relationship has become

From the wiki entry on Martha Jones.

Who was in charge of the series during this time with Martha and Ten?  Watching the episodes almost all back to back, I can't help but notice as it was mentioned how Martha's character was treated but also how Ten's character seems to be meaner in general.  Was this to show his cynicism at losing Rose?   One would think with the actors knowing one another and having worked together before, that their on screen relationship would have been better.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 6:48 AM

RTD was still showrunner at this point. I think Tens cruelty to Martha was meant to show how badly he been hurt by Rose' departure, I just put it down to further proof that he was a prick. And I don't think that the actors were together long enough during the Doomsday two-parter to build a relationship.

Edited by HauntedBathroom, Dec 27, 2013 @ 6:49 AM.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2014 @ 11:10 PM

Recently re watched the last 3 episodes of Series 3 and remembered how much I loved Martha and how I hated her exit. I would of preferred she left as the strong woman she had became who felt she didn't have to run from her problems or sense of dissatisfaction rather than the girl who needed to remove herself from her crush.

I think she did leave as the strong woman she had become.  It takes a lot of strength and self awareness to walk away from a bad relationship, and was bad for her.  I think that was the purpose of the story she told about her friend.  Martha recognized for herself that she would pine for the Doctor while he may like her he would never love her.  For her to be able to say that to him and be resolved to leave to her betterment requires a lot of strength.

I like to think that is what she gained from her time with the Doctor, to learn that she was strong and that she didn't have to settle for second-best.  As she said, she spent a lot time feeling as if she were second-best, but really, she was great.  And she was great, she was brilliant!  Jack saw in her, so did Shakespeare.  She needed to find it out for herself.

What she was able to accomplish in the end was truly amazing.  She did not have the benefit of Tardis/Time Lord meta-crisis superpowers like Rose or Donna, nor was she "Impossible Girl" like Clara.  She was a human being who walked the Earth for a year, inspired a planet, and held her own with not just one but two Time Lords.

I was very surprised to see her and Mickey together but the actors handled it very well conveying affection without much dialog.

You know they were going for the "Smith and Jones" joke there, but I agree that the two did well it.  (The bit that throws me is to see "Strax" about to shoot them)

Then when you think about it; what romantic (or friendship) options do they have considering their extraordinary experience and who they could relate to or even TELL. Rose got meta-crisis Ten and Donna had to have her mind erased to be able to settle for a normal human guy. 

Also, both Mickey and Martha WALKED AWAY from the Doctor on their own terms - another thing they have in common. They both found that they couldn't settle into normal life with their knowledge of alien danger on Earth and who else would they team up with?

Well said, you can see how those things in common could be built upon toward a relationship and eventual marriage.

Martha apparently didn't want to re-join a group after her UNIT experience and Mickey would never choose to be subordinate to Jack (a Doctor-like figure) in Torchwood.

With this I disagree, since I think it was strongly hinted that the two did join Torchwood, for a while.  At some point then, Mickey talked Martha into going freelance.  About the only two points we learn about them from their bit (married and freelancers).

Edited by elle, Jan 26, 2014 @ 11:10 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2014 @ 9:42 AM

Does anyone else find Martha and Clara a little similar, character wise?

Or is it just me?

I mean this in a positive way too.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2014 @ 11:26 AM

Not at all. I mean, other than the crush on the Doctor (which Clara is so much more annoying and obvious about and seems to be reciprocated a lot more) I don't see anything in common between them. Clara gets more appreciation when in my opinion she deserves it less than Martha, too. 

Blue Castle

Blue Castle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2014 @ 8:28 PM

Does anyone else find Martha and Clara a little similar, character wise?

Or is it just me?

I see it sometimes, too.  They're both mature, polite and thoughtful people.  They both sacrifice a lot for the Doctor.  Martha had a much better defined character, though, I think.  And one of the best character journeys DW ever did.

Edited by Blue Castle, Mar 3, 2014 @ 8:29 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2014 @ 9:14 AM

Thanks. For a second I thought it was just me who saw it. I like both characters a lot.