Boiled it, Burned it, Baked it: The Recipes Thread

• Please log in to reply

6847 replies to this topic

i heart food

i heart food

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

However, I have some recipes that use only baking soda and don't appear to have any acidic ingredients that are supposed to be necessary for leavening to happen. Are these recipes doomed to not rise?
I've had my meager attempts at baking spoiled by the bitter, soapy taste of too much leavening - even when I followed the recipe to the letter.

OMG THAT'S why my scones sometimes taste like soap!!!! I use Anne Burrell's recipe for Dried Cherry and Almond Scones and just replace them with blueberries. Once in awhile they have the taste of dishsoap, and I thought maybe I just didn't clean the counter off good enough before I turned the dough out onto it. Thank you for explaining that! BTW, my husband floves those scones, I have to make them every week for him for breakfast during the week.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 2:57 PM

I decided to make The Pioneer Woman's Fresh Corn Casserole wiht Red Bell Peppers and Japapenos. I saw it and thought is looked good. So I made it for a work holiday party.

A couple of the reviews said the dish came out watery so I left out the milk and only used a 1/2 stick of butter.

Because fresh corn wasn't available I used canned corn - 4 whole sweet corn and 3 sweet creamed corn. I made sure to drain the whole corn. I added an extra bell pepper and jalapeno since it was for a party.

I suppose this is supposed to be a main dish but I treated it as a side. I think it yielded about 20 servings depending how much every one took. I think only adding one extra of each pepper was sufficient.

It came out to a consistency similar to corn chowder. Next time I make it I will change it up by going 5 whole sweet corn, 2 sweet creamed corn and 3/4 cu of cream to see the difference.

I thought it was really good.

Raphael delGado

Raphael delGado

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

Over the holidays I made a recipe from P. Allen Smith. Seasoned Pecans. They went over well - the stick of butter didn't hurt.
His show (P.Allen Smith's Garden Home) has moved from a strictly landscaping/gardening to more of a Martha Stewart vibe, including a lot of cooking segments.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:04 AM

Oh boy, okay so I received as a gift 60 ounces (not a typo, although the actual weight comes in at 58 and change) of 80% cacao German chocolate, cut into four veritable bricks and shrink wrapped.

I do cook and bake a lot, hence the gift (although it would be hilarious is someone randomly gave me a truckload of high cacao chocolate...intending me to hurl it at intruders, or something)...but I am at a total loss for what to do with that much chocolate.

Soooooo...anyone have any good flourless chocolate cake recipes or truffle ideas or anything else? 'cause good lord, I have a lot of chocolate over here. I could just run around chocolate coating the furniture, I suppose, but that seems impractical on several levels.

Edited by stillshimpy, Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:07 AM.

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

Anyone have America's Test Kitchen's recipe for Caramelized Onion Jam?

They show how to make it, and tell what the ingredients are, but they don't give the exact amounts.  To get the complete recipe, they want people to buy 'The America’s Test Kitchen DIY Cookbook'.  I'd happily do that if I had the money.  Does anyone out there have the cookbook and can share the recipe with me?

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 7:33 AM

If you google the name of any ATC recipe, you will find lots of folks have made the recipes and posted them on their own blogs. If nothing else, they give feedback on how the recipe worked for them and recommended changes.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2013 @ 1:38 PM

Zahdii here's a link to a blog where they made the ATK recipe, altering it very slightly (presumably so that ATK wouldn't pitch a fit).  Pictures and instructions included. 

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

Thank you!