Scarecrow and Mrs. King

• Please log in to reply

991 replies to this topic

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Actually, I never saw it as Lee having to prove he was "worthy" of Amanda or needing to apologize for his past, but more that he regretted having lived so casually for so long. While I can understand the side of not being ashamed since he seemed to be clear in his intentions, but on the other hand, I can also understand a person genuinely regretting past behavior, especially if he feels that it might cast doubt on the sincerity of his intentions.

I agree with you on this.

I actually thought it was kind of sweet that he seemed to feel that way. I never thought anybody was taking him to task. It just seemed for the first time there was someone who really mattered to him, and it was a natural reaction.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

I actually thought it was kind of sweet that he seemed to feel that way. I never thought anybody was taking him to task. It just seemed for the first time there was someone who really mattered to him, and it was a natural reaction.

Me too. In fact, it was part of what I loved about the development of their relationship. It often seemed to me that Lee really was trying to find something solid in his life but had already lost so much that he felt he couldn't afford to commit to anything other than his job, and Amanda kind of snuck in under his defenses to the point that he couldn't imagine life without her.

Actually, I never thought Lee's regrets could be viewed as problematic until Bastet Esq and Scorpiosrule pointed out their objections. It did make me think about it, and while I can understand the annoyance, for me it feels like a believable reaction for his character not tacked on or anything.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Finally finished watching Season 3. Can't wait or Season 4. I'm tempted to get amazon prime so I can watch the episodes the have available.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

For me, it was Lee knowing that Amanda wouldn't care for that kind of lifestyle and his feeling uncomfortable with it because he respects her and wants her to respect him. She's made him rethink his life and he's changed and grown because of her, so of course something that shows how little he respected women would be something he wouldn't really want shoved into the light in front of her. And I like that there was no real judgment from her or Francine, just a little good-natured teasing laughter from Francine. Me, I liked it. If I had a male friend and he had FOUR black books, I'd tease him about it. Probably do some eye rolling. But it wasn't exactly a surprise to Amanda.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

S&MK appeared in a Jeopardy! clue Thursday, but none of the contestants even had a guess (it was an abysmal game filled with triple stumpers on far weightier subjects). In the category "Who Played the Mrs.?" the $2000 clue was, "Mrs. King, who starred opposite Bruce Boxleitner's Scarecrow."

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

That's like my dream question. That I'd probably be so excited about I'd try to buzz in too soon and get locked out.

jes004

jes004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

I am now the proud owner of all three seasons on DVD. I am gong to do a Season 2 rewatch this week. I guess there aren't any 'extra's' on any of the DVD sets?

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

Alas, no. I guess they figure that just putting them out on DVD is enough. It's very frustrating. I can understand why they wouldn't have put any extras on season 1: they probably weren't sure whether there was enough interest. But now they know there's interest. Couldn't they manage to scrape together something maybe for the season 4 release? It would be a nice way to compensate for the Amanda-lite episodes. Somehow, I doubt that they think enough of this series to indulge in that most contemptible of practices-- releasing a full series box set with extras after the plain season releases.

jes004

jes004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

It is a shame. Boxleitner and Jackson aren't as busy in projects as they once were, so I doubt it has anything to do with availability. I don't know what is involved with that, or how much it would increase the cost. Since they are selling the episodes at comparable pricing with sets that have the extra's, I don't see why they couldn't have included some voice over extras.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

I think it's just that they don't care enough to go to the trouble. It would be work even if it didn't add to the cost. I think they feel this series is just good enough to go on DVD but not good enough to go to the bother of getting together any extras. Sigh. It would be nice if they gave us even a featurette on season 4. Anything to make up for the general weaknesses of the latter part of season 4.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

I totally agree, lacorelli--I mean, take Remington Steele--those dvds, didn't come out until years later, yet they have extras, interviews with Brosnan==when you know he's the current Bond==well at the time, anyway; Boxleitner was still appearing in other shows, Cold Case, and a couple years ago, NCIS, and I think the last time Kate did anything was providing her voice in Batman Beyond as an evil person with psychic powers, in 2001, maybe? No, scratch that--she was Paget Brewster's mother on Criminal Minds a couple seasons ago.

I don't count her appearance on Shear Genius, because well, I just don't, though it was uber kewl to see her and Jaclyn Smith reunite.

They're both such good actors. It's the same with Dallas--first four seasons, and the only extras those nimrods give me are the interiews on that horrid show Soap Talk and that equally disastrous horrid reunion in 2004, I think it was. No interviews with any of the cast members. Well, okay, they do have commentaries, and they did show scenes where almost every cast member was set up to be the one who shot J.R., but y'all know what I mean!

And unlike Victoria Principal, who is nearly unrecognizable with what she's done to her once gorgeous face, Kate sill looks good. At least, to me. And Bruce is one miiiighty fiiiine Silver Fox.

Just sayin'.

jes004

jes004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

And unlike Victoria Principal, who is nearly unrecognizable with what she's done to her once gorgeous face, Kate sill looks good. At least, to me. And Bruce is one miiiighty fiiiine Silver Fox.

Just sayin'.

I'm there with you. Bruce is still one handsome and charming man.

I was really disappointed when this series ended. I know Kate Jackson was dealing with cancer, and I'm not sure how much that affected it's cancellation. I thought the show was still pretty popular when they got the ax.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

I thought the show was still pretty popular when they got the ax.

I don't remember how precipitous the plunge, but ratings did fall that last season (and I think they got moved to Friday at some point that season, which is the kiss of death). It was only in the Top 20 once, in its first or second season, if I'm remembering correctly, and I'm pretty sure it was right at #20.

The show is sort of under the radar, so I'm not surprised by the lack of special features; I was just excited to see sales of each season support release of the next, and hope the trend continues.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

I was just excited to see sales of each season support release of the next, and hope the trend continues.

Me too. After all, we only have one season left (I want the Stemwinder episodes and Nightcrawler very badly). But I can't help wish-- just a bit-- that they cared enough to give us something a little more.

And more directly about the show, is it just me or did Kate Jackson change Amanda's voice a bit for season 3? I can't quite put my finger on what seems different; maybe it's lighter or higher pitched or something. Sorry for being so vague, if I knew what it was that seemed different, it probably wouldn't bother me. It might not even be the voice so much as something else being different that I can't figure out.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

I don't think it was Kate's voice so much as it was the character of Amanda--she seemed to have come into her own over the summer hiatus. She was a lot more confident, didn't look so much in awe of Lee like she did in the first two seasons.

They seemed to be, emotionally, anyway, evenly matched. Or it could be how we were supposed to think that something happened over the summer and with the exception of the fake!James Bond episode, that they were now dating. Sort of.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

I never thought about it at the time, but wouldn't it be interesting if Awesome's dad from Chuck was actually Scarecrow?

Edited by Grimes, Jul 31, 2012 @ 11:40 AM.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Awesomes dad WAS Scarecrow. lol

I wish there were extras, too. I know WB isn't too keen on doing any more than they have to on getting a DVD series out, but I wish they'd see the advantage of it.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

I'm not sure it would yield any advantage for Warner Bros, however; I think this is a show where the audience for the DVDs will buy them regardless and not one where significant numbers of people who wouldn't otherwise pick them up would decide to buy them because of the special features. (Of course, that's true of a lot of older shows, so I tend to regard special features as a surprise bonus -- the Remington Steele DVDs being a prime example, going FAR beyond what I was expecting even factoring the Pierce Brosnan phenomenon into the equation.)

jes004

jes004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

I like the fact that the show let Amanda grow, not keeping her in the clueless housewife role. They also let Lee grow, as well. As noted previously, he matured from the "James Bond" playboy spy to a more serious and adult spy.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

I don't think it was Kate's voice so much as it was the character of Amanda--she seemed to have come into her own over the summer hiatus. She was a lot more confident, didn't look so much in awe of Lee like she did in the first two seasons.

I suppose that could be it, but there seems to be something else different. Oh, pfui, I have no idea. Maybe if I do a mass comparative marathon I'll figure out what it is. And oh, gee, that would be so tough to make myself do, but perhaps I'd finally get peace of mind.

I like the fact that the show let Amanda grow, not keeping her in the clueless housewife role. They also let Lee grow, as well. As noted previously, he matured from the "James Bond" playboy spy to a more serious and adult spy.

I liked that too. I think the thing I liked best about the show is that despite the inherent limitations of 80s television that they let the characters change and develop both a believable friendship and romance without really indulging in all the "will they, won't they, and we can't let them get together or it will ruin everything" stuff, that all too many television series have done (It's part of what makes me want to tear my hair out during certain parts of Remington Steele). I mean it's kind of clear that they intended to do the "give them other love interests" thing at the beginning of the third season, but that was dropped mercifully quickly, and we were instead giving the slow move towards an actual romantic relationship that was far more satisfying and rewatchable.

And also, it was great that they realized that neither Lee nor Amanda could stay the same professionally as well, because it just would be simply unbelievable that Amanda could remain naive and clueless after three years in the business or that Lee wouldn't be affected by having her as his partner. I mean she goes from not being able to hold a gun at all to being able hold a suspect with one (maybe not comfortably, but still...).

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

I think the thing I liked best about the show is that despite the inherent limitations of 80s television that they let the characters change and develop both a believable friendship and romance without really indulging in all the "will they, won't they, and we can't let them get together or it will ruin everything" stuff, that all too many television series have done

Indeed, they did an admirable job on that front right up until the Mystery Marriage, which is so nonsensical it goes a long way towards overshadowing the organic relationship trajectory that had preceded it. In hindsight, I would easily endure a few cliché roadblocks along the way if it allowed me to avoid such a clumsy obstacle once the characters fully committed to a romantic relationship. It's such a shame; they avoided so many typical pitfalls for three years, and then dove into a uniquely bad chasm rather than staying true to a natural path.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

I suppose one could call Amanda naive in the first couple of seasons, with regards to the world of spies, but clueless? I don't think so. She had her own way of figuring things out or getting the job done, and that's so the opposite of clueless to me.

Although the show had them have an organic romance, I still felt like the showrunners were playing mind games with us: were they dating in Season 3 or weren't they? That episode, which one was it--where the Congressman was murdered with a bomb in the baby's carriage? At the end of the show, how Lee said they should have dinner and no "shop talk this time", which led me to believe that they had had several dinners--but it's so ambiguous and vague.

They just seemed...so much more comfortable with each other; but then again, we had "Utopia Now", which contradicts some of what happened earlier in the season.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Indeed, they did an admirable job on that front right up until the Mystery Marriage, which is so nonsensical it goes a long way towards overshadowing the organic relationship trajectory that had preceded it. In hindsight, I would easily endure a few cliché roadblocks along the way if it allowed me to avoid such a clumsy obstacle once the characters fully committed to a romantic relationship. It's such a shame; they avoided so many typical pitfalls for three years, and then dove into a uniquely bad chasm rather than staying true to a natural path.

True, that was the one truly ridiculously stupid thing they did. I still don't know who thought of this or thought it was a good idea. However, it was at least a uniquely stupid path, rather than the same worn out path other shows went down. So I can live with the stupidity, while wishing they'd found a more interesting way of dealing with their marriage.

I suppose one could call Amanda naive in the first couple of seasons, with regards to the world of spies, but clueless? I don't think so. She had her own way of figuring things out or getting the job done, and that's so the opposite of clueless to me.

Well, she was a little clueless when it came to being tailed in the beginning, and then falling for the idiotic line of Alan Squires in "Artful Dodger". Then there was that weird thing on moles in "The Mole." I think it's not that she was clueless in general, but more specifically about certain aspects of the spy world. She had really good people skills and a knowledge of normal life that Lee never had, so he was as clueless about her world as she was as his.

Although the show had them have an organic romance, I still felt like the showrunners were playing mind games with us: were they dating in Season 3 or weren't they? That episode, which one was it--where the Congressman was murdered with a bomb in the baby's carriage? At the end of the show, how Lee said they should have dinner and no "shop talk this time", which led me to believe that they had had several dinners--but it's so ambiguous and vague.

They just seemed...so much more comfortable with each other; but then again, we had "Utopia Now", which contradicts some of what happened earlier in the season.

I think part of the problem is that the beginning of season 3 was a bit of a mess, since they initially planned one thing and then went with another. I think in a sense that Lee and Amanda drifted into dating without really knowing it. The impression I'd gotten from the "no shop talk" thing is that while they were working they'd often eat together and talk over the case, but this time, Lee wanted something more personal, especially since he makes it a point that he'd rather be with Amanda than Leslie. So that's what made it different from the other dinners they'd had together.

And I think the other problem is the episodic nature of 80s television. It's a miracle they managed to get anywhere at all. Because it does seem weird that Lee would almost kiss her in "Sour Grapes" and then give the Speech again in "Utopia Now". But on the other hand, Lee having major mood swings between episodes is actually in character for him. So if you go with the idea that he's a bit skittish about the idea of where his and Amanda's relationship is going, and Amanda isn't exactly sure either, then the contradictions could be kind of a push/pull of "is this a good idea or bad idea?" kind of thing rather than the usual "will they/won't they" thing.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

Guess what? I was scrolling on Amazon to see what the price of S3 was, and Seasons 1-3 are now also available on blu-ray! Crazy.

The DVDs are fine for me; I just wish they would get at least Bruce and Kate for the fourth and final dvd set. I think Mel Stewart is the only one who's passed away, right?

I would have really liked if they'd had a gag reel. sigh...

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

Guess what? I was scrolling on Amazon to see what the price of S3 was, and Seasons 1-3 are now also available on blu-ray! Crazy.

No, it isn't. Those are "placeholder" listings, where, when you click the links, you can type in your e-mail address to be notified when (or if) it is ever released in that format for purchase.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

And finally.......Season four!

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Awesome, and I've already pre-ordered. I'm glad at least that they aren't making us wait until March again. I just wish they'd bother with a few extra features.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

WAHOO!!!! Christmas present to m'self, last two seasons!

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Awesome, and I've already pre-ordered.

It's still not showing as available for me. :(

Lee looks good, but why does Amanda have the awful season 2 hair??

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I think Mel Stewart is the only one who's passed away, right?

No, Beverly Garland, too; she died four or five years ago.

I haven't yet bought season three, and I don't much care for season four, but I will definitely complete my collection and retire the last sets of tapes some day. Perhaps I'll ask Santa.

It would have been nice had they sweetened the deal for season four (which I suspect is most fans' least favorite) by finally tossing in some special features, but I'm not surprised they didn't. I think the bare bones nature of the releases helped us get all four seasons, so I can't complain. But I sure would love a blooper reel.