Big Brother Competitions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

114 replies to this topic

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 4:21 AM

True. But this early in the game, I think it's brilliant, since there aren't any "real" alliances, it gives you insight to their personal feelings that even the feeds can't serve up -- plus it's live. I definitely agree on principle, but this early in the game it's a great indicator, because they have such little time to respond.

SceneStealer

SceneStealer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 7:58 AM

Not many people got questions wrong, but I think it would be cool if when you buzz in, BEFORE answering the question, you have to quickly indicate who you want to eliminate. That would create a little bit of tension for the audience (is it going to be the answerer or person X?) and it could also create some nasty feelings among the HGs as they see who is out to get them.

evil jesus

evil jesus

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 8:11 AM

True. But this early in the game, I think it's brilliant, since there aren't any "real" alliances, it gives you insight to their personal feelings that even the feeds can't serve up -- plus it's live. I definitely agree on principle, but this early in the game it's a great indicator, because they have such little time to respond.

Last night showed that it was clearly seven-on-three. It works when there are even alliances, but usually it is unfair.

CoolKel

CoolKel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 8:56 AM

On tonight's Eliminator challenge, how did they know the answers so quickly? I couldn't even hear the whole questions. I would also need time to think about them.

I believe that they put the answer choices down on the podium (there was a point where Dustin looked down near his buzzer) - it makes it slightly easier.

Incidentally, I like Eliminator, but not for the evicted HGs; a competition about them should be about who knows the most about the evicted HGs instead of who's quick on the draw. Something like the first HOH that Janelle won would've been good and then they could use Eliminator for something else, maybe about the house in general.

puck71

puck71

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 3:45 PM

Anyway, even though I had them last season, I'm having trouble remembering - doesn't Big Brother usually scold the HGs for discussing how they voted after they voted? Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, the HGs usually vote live, so nevermind me.

I'm pretty sure this is the first season they've voted live this early in the season. In previous seasons, they didn't start the live voting until about halfway through the season, presumably because it would have taken too much time to show more than 6 or so live votes. When they did the pre-recorded voting (I think they did that in Week 1 this year, then went to live voting for Week 2) I think they were pretty strict about discussing their vote in the house.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2007 @ 12:55 AM

They missed an opportunity with that Humpty Dumpty challenge. Instead of dressing the teams up as "all the king's men," they should have been "all the king's horses." It would have been hilarious to see the pairs attempting to assemble a puzzle while wearing two-person horse costumes.

JediDVguy

JediDVguy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 2:23 PM

Last season, I presumed that they changed the veto competition rules (from three players being selected by the HoH/nominees to being drawn "randomly") in an effort to curb the usage of the backdoor technique. Isn't it interesting that the number of HGs being backdoored has now quadrupled (at least)?

Edited by JediDVguy, Aug 21, 2007 @ 3:45 PM.

Valenti

Valenti

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2007 @ 10:03 AM

Ever notice how most of the competitions seem to be directed more towards Dick's lifestyle? Motorcycle veto, Guitar smashing food comp etc. Just interesting is all...

NTLurker

NTLurker

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2007 @ 8:33 PM

I noticed it too Valenti.

Procrastination

Procrastination

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2007 @ 11:33 PM

Have we had a single physical competition yet this season? Curling and crochet aren't really cutting it. This is supposed to be an intense competition and power struggle, not a weekend aboard a senior citizen cruise line. I miss the competitions we had on BB6 -- they were actually fun to watch.

Edited by Procrastination, Aug 24, 2007 @ 11:34 PM.

cggb

cggb

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2007 @ 3:30 PM

The endurance competition a few weeks ago was physical.

Procrastination

Procrastination

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2007 @ 3:54 PM

Only to a certain extent. All you had to do was hang there and whoever was lightest had the best chance. I'm talking about competitions where people have to actually exert some energy and use some skill... something involving action. So many competitions this season amount to literally sitting or standing there and answering questions. It's so lame and dull.

Valenti

Valenti

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2007 @ 4:06 PM

I'd love to see another pressure cooker competition cause it's all about will power. Who is willing to stay there for however long it takes to win.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2007 @ 10:47 PM

Does anyone know where I can get challenge details? We don't get your version down here, but after reading this thread, I want to find out more. Yes, even "curling and crochet".

MyLisa

MyLisa

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 10:32 AM

I had a thought this morning for next season. I find all the Jedi drilling dull as dishwater, and the resulting competitions equally boring, but I love the paranoia of the hamsters just "knowing" they'll have memory competitions. What if they had an entire season with no before/after or other house-related challenges? The hamsters would grow increasingly paranoid week after week, convincing themselves that next week would surely be a memory challenge. They could still have mental competitions, but it would be general knowledge, regular game show stuff. And image matching competitions could also be done without using house-related pictures. There's a ton of game shows out there for ideas.

shantastic

shantastic

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 10:42 AM

That's a great idea!

I was also thinking it be cool if America could vote to place some sort of clue somewhere in the house. Something like, "A houseguest is lying about their age." It wouldn't specifically name the person, and the person who finds it must be sworn to secrecy not to tell anyone else in the house - like they get slop for a week or a penalty nom if they do. It could also be an America's Vote situation. CBS/Grodner could pick what the choices could be, and run an online poll along the same lines as the slop plus chitlins polls of this season. But if they did this like, every week starting with week 2 or 3, there would be lotsa clues out there, lotsa paranoid hgs wondering if each other has a clue, what it is, how it helps them, what it really means, etc. If there's gonna be producer interference, then let's have fun with it!

But that would totally ratchet up the paranoia, doncha think?

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:14 PM

I'd love to see another pressure cooker competition cause it's all about will power. Who is willing to stay there for however long it takes to win.

I've been wanting another Pressure Cook type comp so bad. Those are the best. They never do stuff like that anymore though (not even on Survivor). I guess they don't want to run the risk that they'll go on forever and disrupt the production schedule or something.

I used to really want them to do stuff like MyLisa and shantastic suggested to just mess with HGs and raise the paranoia, but this season's rampant paranoia has been really hard to watch so I no longer want to see the show actually try and cause paranoia (well, more than they probably currently do in the DR).

MyLisa

MyLisa

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:25 PM

I think perhaps it's a problem for any long-running show, in that new players have seen previous seasons and come in knowing what to expect, for the most part. But for a show that uses 'expect the unexpected' as a catch phrase, I'd really like to see them catch the next batch of hamsters completely off guard by changing up the format of the competitions. Twins, cliques, and other stunt casting twists just aren't enough. Every season devolves into the same old same old.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2009 @ 1:42 PM

Maybe to shake things up they could do a "Headless Household" week, where instead of a HOH competition they have a nomination competition where the top two scores win some luxury prize and the bottom two get nominated. And then follow it with Platinum veto competition, where the Veto Holder gets to pick the replacement nominee, with everyone competing.

DrGirlfriend

DrGirlfriend

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2009 @ 11:56 AM

I like that Headless Household idea, if for no other reason than doing away with the isolationist HoH room! It allows the HoH and his/her cronies to almost completely cut themselves off from the other HGs. Give the HoH some perks and gifts, but make them live and stew among everyone else. This might force more interesting interactions and reduce the completely us-vs-them teams that form.

shantastic

shantastic

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2009 @ 12:25 PM

I think it would be neat to see a luxury comp where everyone had to pick an envelope, and in the envelope was the name of one hg they couldn't vote for. To be truly kick ass, this would have to happen in the first few weeks. It would really mess with plans if there was a two large teams situation.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Why "Majority Rules" is an even bigger waste of time than it seems.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 4:15 AM

Admittedly I haven't seen Episode 4 yet (I'm in Australia, and it hasn't shown up online), but it seems like the challenge designers have finally gotten the kick up the arse they've needed since about the time they went back to individual challenges in BB9. I'm sure the HoH challenges will probably just be quizzes again, as usual (gah), but at least they almost seem to be trying this year.

And how sad is it that the faceplants in that mattress obstacle course were more fun than anything Wipeout has churned out this summer?

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

I think the reason the comps are different/better this season is because all the old comp people went to Glass House, so now there's new comp designers.

It's kinda of exciting because normally we know basically what kind of comp and when it'll be, but this year they might switch it up.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I spoke too soon. There's been a couple of good ones, but we're still in the same old crappy rut as last year.