"Pop That Ego!" Character Assassination and Redemption Game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

522 replies to this topic

booklad

booklad

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 8:14 PM

So in this game the first poster picks a tv character and rips them to shreds, but then the next poster has to find something legitimately nice to say about them in the next post, or vice versa.

An example :

First Poster : "Phoebe Halliwell is such a skank, can she ever keep her damn pants on?"

Next Poster : "But she does provide support for millions of San Franciscans daily through her column"

and then a new character is picked.

So the game would be finding nice things to say about horrible characters, and nasty things about likable characters.

I'll start.

"Will Lana Lang ever shut up about her damn dead parents! Whiny twit.

Blanky

Blanky

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 12:57 AM

Great idea, booklad!

I don't watch Smallville. That means I'm either the least qualified to respond positively to Lana, or the most qualified, depending on your Lana position. I'll try, since I gather that most Smallville fans are unlikely to post anything even remotely positive about Lana.

Rebuttal: Lana
Lana has such beautiful, shiny hair. Despite her lack of parental guidance, she eats so healthfully! Perhaps her shiny hair results from said healthful diet.
Yeah. Sorry, I know it's a poor way to kick off this thread. I'll start out with my unpopular (on TWoP, anyway) Kate opinion--it should quickly attract a negative rebuttal to move this baby along.

Statement: Kate
Lost's Kate is intelligent, resourceful, independent-minded, and appealing. Despite her criminal past and fugitive status, she's truly a Rennaisance woman and a necessary character on the show.

Edited by Blanky, Jun 24, 2006 @ 1:05 AM.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 2:18 AM

This is fun!

Rebuttal: KATE Kate is an attention loving, pain in the ass. She bungles around in the jungle, gets in the way, sticks her nose where it doesn't belong and stops the show dead. I wish the ocean would swallow her whole.

Statement: DR. JAMES WILSON (House): He is a sensitive, caring, deeply committed Oncologist with nice hair.

Edited by oakgal, Jun 24, 2006 @ 2:19 AM.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 11:03 AM

Oh, this is hard.

Rebuttal: Dr. Wilson Dr. Wilson is a borderline selfish prick with no rewarding qualities and he treats his collegues and friends like shit.
That's the best I could do.

Statement: Meredith Grey (Grey's Anatomy) Meredith is a selfish bony harpish bitch who treats her friends like shit, cares about herself, and is borderline stalkeresque around Dr. Shepard, who IMO is truly committed to Addison and he only slept with her in the finale to shut her the fuck up.

Blanky

Blanky

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 1:10 PM

Oooh, I'll take this one on. My unpopular opinion (again, at least on TWoP) is that I love Meredith Grey. She's a very realistic character.

Rebuttal: Meredith Grey
Meredith Grey is a strong, compassionate (and because of her capacity for compassion tends to be emotional) woman who is giving and supportive to her friends, but who unfortunately fell in love with the right person at the wrong time. The timing was not her fault. Over the course of the season she became disillusioned with Derrick, accepted the fact that he was treating her like shit, and truly gave him up to Addison.

Derrick continued to be a selfish prick (my take is that he's a good guy who hates himself for what he did to both Meredith and Addison, and his self-hate is manifesting itself in his boorish behavior--a natural progression, not character assasination) by taking Addison while still pursuing a relationship with Meredith. Like any person who fell in love with the right person at the wrong time, Meredith finally succumbs when her love interest tries to force a moment into being the "right time."

Oops. That was a little long. Heh--I guess I feel more strongly about this than I thought. Er...sorry.

Statement: Santino Rice
Santino Rice is awesome. Some of his comments and "confessional" observations may have been a little harsh, but Santino seems like he'd be a lot of fun to hang out with as well as a true and loyal friend. His flaws are simply a little more obvious than other people's flaws are.

He's also very talented (not one-note) as evidenced by his final collection, his dress for Suchin Pak's MTV Movie Awards appearance, and other creations that have been in the press lately.

Edited by Blanky, Jun 24, 2006 @ 1:12 PM.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 2:10 PM

Rebuttal: Santino Rice

Santino Rice is motherfucking crazy. I don't think I need to explain further.

Statement: The Supernatural Boys

They're super hot and they can act, in spite of the times that the writing is about as entertaining as Lara Flynn Boyle's pap smear.

booklad

booklad

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 2:17 PM

Rebuttal: The Supernatural Boys

Two planks of wood with wigs could act circles around them. Draw teardrops on "Samwood" and duckylips on "Deanwood" and the illusion is complete.

Statement: Kara Thrace, aka, Starbuck

Is a competent and compelling leader in the RTFF and despite her understandable emotional problems, is a necessary part of the Galactica's Team.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 2:38 PM

Rebuttal: Kara Thrace, aka, Starbuck

Is a dull, incompetent and all around nuisance who should just be put in some Caprician exile.

Statement: Lex Luthor

Is a foolish, snarmy, annoying character in a pool filled with foolish, snarmy, annoying characters. Oh, and he isn't even hot.

skillzdatkillz

skillzdatkillz

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 2:42 PM

Rebuttal: Lex Luthor

Is one of the best developped "evil" character born from mistrust; abandonment and lost friendships. He tried to fight his destiny yet it was really fate and circumstances that led him to where he is now.

Statement: Jack Shepard

Is a good leader (..aaaaand go!)

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 2:56 PM

Rebuttal: Jack Shepard

Is boring and dumb and annoying and egotistical.

Statement: Alex Karev

Is a male chauvinist pig.

booklad

booklad

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

Rebuttal: Alex Karev

Alex says what has to be said and should be praised for speaking his mind.

Statement: Dave Lister

Dave is a man with a heart of gold and a childlike approach to the universe around him. He is loyal, caring and trustworthy. The Human race could do alot worse having him as its sole survivor.

Jane in Vain

Jane in Vain

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 7:17 PM

Rebuttal: Dave Lister Lister is a scruffy, ambition-free lager lout whose socks are so encrusted with dirt and filth that he must spray them liberally with deodorant and beat them several times with a toffee-hammer in order to ensure their "wearability". From this we can conclude that he is too terminally indolent to wash his clothes. (I still love you Dave!)

Statement: Jimmy McNulty (The Wire) McNulty is a prideful, arrogant, entitled, skirt-chasing passive-aggressive drunk. I remain unsurprised that he has few allies in Baltimore City PD.

JennB

JennB

Stalker

• Interests:Writing, reading, "House," "The Office," "The Amazing Race," "Lost," "Grey's Anatomy," "How I Met Your Mother," "Survivor" (sometimes), and pretending I still know what reality is.

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 7:44 PM

Rebuttal: Jimmy McNulty McNulty can turn the F word into a poem. And he's hot. Need I say more?

Statement: Emma Nelson (Degrassi: The Next Generation) Emma is a self-involved brat who can't stop lobbying for causes and wouldn't know how to be sympathetic to anyone else if her life depended on it.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 7:52 PM

Rebuttal: Emma Nelson Emma is a truly responsible young woman who is truly just having a rough period. Everybody's gotta rebel once in a while?

Statement: Miranda Bailey Miranda is percieved as a stereotypical sassy black woman when in fact she is a strong disciplinary figure and a true woman.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 11:06 PM

Miranda Bailey is a pissy bitch with a smarmy nasty attitude.

Ellen Tigh on BSG is an evil self serving whore. (haha, try to combat that one)

booklad

booklad

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 11:14 PM

Rebuttal: Ellen Tigh

Ellen is a free spirited and endearing woman who, sure, cannot claim the title of "most faithful wife", but also dearly loves her husband and is only trying to see that he survives in their harsh new situation. And hey, if she's also riding his coattails to the top, who can blame her?

Statement: Billie Jenkins

Billie is a strong resourceful young woman, who without any formal training, can more than hold her own against the legions of the underworld. (ha, try not to combat that one).

DMike

DMike

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2006 @ 5:32 PM

Rebuttal: Billie Jenkins

Billie Jenkins is a maggoty-necked moron who abuses her powers, her birthright as a witch, the generosity of those who are willing to take her in, and the eyes of everyone who's misfortunate enough to have to look upon her nasty hair. Also? Not that bright.

Statement: Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers is a selfish, megalomaniacal bitch who lies to everyone around her, abuses the law in the name of duty, and frequently puts the world in danger even more than it already is because she can't fathom the concept of the existence anyone other than herself. She's also really bony and has loser friends and even worse boyfriends.

TV_Buffy

TV_Buffy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2006 @ 7:18 PM

Rebuttal: Buffy Summers

She saved the world. A lot.

Statement: Jim Halpert

Jim is a beacon of light in a dreary office space. He's a selfless individual who is quick to help out his co-workers and slightly crazy boss. He's charming, witty, and super hot, to boot.

Edited by TV_Buffy, Jun 25, 2006 @ 7:19 PM.

JennB

JennB

Stalker

• Interests:Writing, reading, "House," "The Office," "The Amazing Race," "Lost," "Grey's Anatomy," "How I Met Your Mother," "Survivor" (sometimes), and pretending I still know what reality is.

Posted Jun 25, 2006 @ 7:42 PM

Rebuttal: Jim Halpert

Jim has a crush on an engaged woman. He should just get over it and move on.

Statement: Rory Gilmore

Rory is a stuck-up, egotistical spoiled brat with horrible taste in men. She'd rather let a man verbally abuse her than be single. She's an awful best friend. The only time she's ever had to be held responsible for her actions was when she stole a yacht, and even then she got off with community service. Everyone loves her for no reason.

(Have fun with that one!)

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Jun 25, 2006 @ 7:54 PM

Rebuttal: Rory Gilmore

Rory was, and to some extent still is, a kind, thoughtful young woman with a sharp wit and a genuine love of books and learning that many TWoPers can admire and relate to!

*I'd just like to say for the record that I LOATHE who Rory's become over the past few seasons, so this was a real struggle!

Statement: Derek "McDreamy" Shepherd

McSmirky, McBland or just plain old McAss would be far more appropriate. He has no distinct personality traits or characteristics other than an apparent inability to wipe that arrogant perma-smirk off his face, is an adulterer who continues to string along Meredith even as he claims to be 'working on' his marriage and has proven himself undeserving of either of the two women whose feelings he's playing with. Plus, I don't even think he's physically attractive...his hair looks like its dripping with enough grease to fry a pan of bacon and did I mention that damn constant smirk?!

Edited by marlaas, Jun 25, 2006 @ 7:54 PM.

drs248

drs248

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 8:30 AM

Rebuttal: Derek "McDreamy" Shepherd
He's so pretty. And he has good hair. And nice eyes. And he saves people's lives by digging around in the brain.

Statement: Felicity Porter
Felicity Porter is ambitious, adventurous and doesn't let the hurts of her past control how she lives her life. She is unafraid to make mistakes and follows her heart into all things. She loves her friends and is loyal and selfless with them. Plus, her hair was ten times better after it grew out after the disastrous short cut.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 8:38 AM

Rebuttal: Felicity Porter

Felicity Porter is a narc. Biggie.

Statement: Dr. Lisa Cuddy

Is hot. And a good doctor. And she has a nice ass.

DrinksBreadIce

DrinksBreadIce

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 9:34 AM

Rebuttal: Dr. Lisa Cuddy

Cuddy lets her guilt override her professional responsibilities, allowing House to do whatever he wants and make each patient ten times worse before he finally figures out what's wrong. Also, with that hot ass, she should have gotten some in two seasons.

Statement: Catherine Black (Millennium)

Catherine Black is batshit insane, leaving her husband after he saved her from a kidnapper and killer, because in her mind, working for a secret group is the same thing as having an affair.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 9:45 AM

Rebuttal: Catherine Black

I mean, if you were married to Lance Henriksen, wouldn't you go crazy after a while?

Statement: Seven of Nine

Wasn't that hot, wasn't that special, and certainly wasn't a good replacement for Kes. Though the whole HoYay! with Janeway was pretty cool.

booklad

booklad

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 12:37 PM

Rebuttal: Seven of Nine

Was a ray of common sense and logic in a crew who were sometime too wrapped up in their own sense of morality and too subject to their emotions. She made the hard calls, said what needed to be said and even raised a few kids in the bargain.

Statement: Dr. Samuel Beckett

A pretentious know it all, who jumped around sticking his nose where it didn't belong and blamed all his misfortune on "God". Also, Sam? If you wanna leave your wife, there's better ways than jumping into an untried potentially dangerous experiment in space and time travel. Idiot.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 1:05 PM

Rebuttal: Dr. Samuel Beckett

Was not a pretentious know-it-all, but just well educated. And who would'nt want to time travel all the time? I sure as fuck would.

Statement: Quark

Was an annoying troll who did nothing but grate on the nerves of everyone at DS9; even though they were too afraid (most of the time) to say it to his face, you can see it in their eyes.

phxchic

phxchic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 2:37 PM

Rebuttal: Quark
Had a great talent for business and recognizing potential money-making opportunities.

Statement: Nellie Oleson
Shrewish, selfish harpy who had no sense of compassion and enjoyed belittling her fellow classmates based solely on her parents' status.

sissykay

sissykay

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 4:50 PM

Rebuttal: Nellie Oleson
She dressed nice and had killer curls.

Statement: Laura Holt
Was a beautiful, intelligent, independent woman who figured out a way to run a successful business despite it being in a male dominated profession.

dunvegan948

dunvegan948

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 5:30 PM

Rebuttal: Laura Holt
Didn't have the cerebral wherewithal to realize that once she let the con man in she'd never be rid of him.

Statement: Jack Bauer
Has everything we need in a US president.

Zumanity

Zumanity

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 6:07 PM

Rebuttal: Jack Bauer
He's a loose cannon! He's crazy! He cuts people's heads off, breaks into Foreign Consulates to steal witnesses and does other stuff that would get anyone else shot or life sentences in prison. Plus, he was at least half responsible for the mind-numbing terror that is Kimberly Bauer. 'Nuff said.

Statement: Claudia Jean Cregg
She's brilliant, she's good at her job, she plays the press like a piano and when the need arises, kicks ass and takes names like nobody's business. And those legs and that laugh. I'm just sayin...

Edited by Zumanity, Jun 26, 2006 @ 6:10 PM.