It's Chrismuhannukwanzakkah time! Holiday commercials

• Please log in to reply

2025 replies to this topic

Zinkshipper

Zinkshipper

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 2:25 PM

I searched high and low and didn't see a thread, so here goes. I am going to miss the Father's Day commercials that were running. I don't remember the store, but it was the dads singing Christmas carols, but for Father's Day stuff. So funny! But Mother's Day commercials? Always suck. That little kid with the jar or coins (or something) to buy the overly expensive bauble o'crap makes me roll my eyes every time.

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 2:31 PM

I'm still angry about the K-Mart commercial for Valentine's Day where the husband shoots an (assumingly plastic) arrow at his wife's bum, and she turns around and GLARES at him like he just spitroasted her dog.

The message was don't be playful, just whip out the credit card and buy her diamonds, asshole.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 3:06 PM

Somewhere in the late 80's/early '90s there was a commerical for Folgers(I think). It's Christmas, and this cute little blonde girl walks down the steps to see her big brother has returned home from college. They make coffee together, and their parents wake up and hugs all around.

I love that commerical.

Dispatcherbert

Dispatcherbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 8:36 PM

Somewhere in the late 80's/early '90s there was a commerical for Folgers(I think). It's Christmas, and this cute little blonde girl walks down the steps to see her big brother has returned home from college. They make coffee together, and their parents wake up and hugs all around.

I'm pretty sure that's "Peter." And, yes, it's very cute.

Christmas-wise, I always liked Santa sleighing on the "Noel"-co razor. That was a great ad from when I was a kid.

A local station when I was growing up had this dancing snowman and my boyfriend (years later) could immitate him wonderfully. And my niece's face lit up just like the little girl's in the commercial.

I also love the Cadbury bunny who "lays" a chocolate Cadbury egg at eastertime. Complete with the chicken clucks.

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 8:41 PM

I say at the most random times "thank you Easter Bunny" and my friend says "bawk bawk!"

Are those commercials still on? I haven't seen one in years.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 2:22 AM

Oh, I miss Cadbury Egg commericals!

Remember those Cingular commericals with those really hot blond triplets coming home for what I think is either their birthday or Christmas? I think they're from about three years ago. Cute stuff, though the other one where they actually talk kinda gets iffy.

And we can't go through this thread without mentioning Hallmark. They're the ones that made it so that everyday is a holiday.

I love how in every Hallmark commercial, people must cry. And how there's usually no Christmas cards mentioned, because that would be show a religious affilation.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 11:29 AM

I love the Cadbury eggs ones with all of the different animals wearing bunny ears and trying to make the cluck noise. I always specifically remember the big lion with the ears on and making this really loud "BAWK" roaring noise. Cracks me up every time.

only1kcm

only1kcm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 12:01 PM

My vote has to go for the Guinness "St. Patrick's Day" ads. They were variations on a Christmas theme: A grocery store had green Guinness 6-packs arranged like a Christmas tree, and the voiceover talked about how easy it was to buy "holiday" gifts. Or where the showed men waking up, in houses decorated with green, waking up like kids on Christmas morning to go downstairs and get their beer. Yeah, I know, alcoholism isn't funny (unless it's W.C. Fields) but those cracked me up!

Christmas-wise, I always liked Santa sleighing on the "Noel"-co razor. That was a great ad from when I was a kid.

I *still* look for that every year! I sure do miss it.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2006 @ 11:29 PM

I love the Coca-Cola ads featuring the polar bears. I think the Radio Shack ad featuring Santa on vaction is so cute. I hate the Champange isn't Korbel ad. What kind of people leave a party because they don't like what is being served. I don't drink and it bothers me that Korbel is claiming that you have to drink alcohol in order to enjoy the holiday.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 4:01 PM

I also really like the Hershey Kisses Christmas ads featuring the little foil wrapped kisses in a triangle, acting like they are bells in a handbell group. I think the song is that "Oh, Christmas Tree" one and at the very end, one little Kiss has to hold his ringing for a long time and then when he's done, he wipes his little brow with the piece of paper that sticks out of each Kiss and says "whew".

I did a horrible job of describing that, but it's very cute.

indigo4

indigo4

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2006 @ 9:45 AM

Anybody else remember the "ghosts of the first turkey lovers" that Butterball used to show at Thanksgiving?

Dispatcherbert

Dispatcherbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2006 @ 1:15 AM

How long ago was it, indigo4? It doesn't ring a bell with me.

Zinkshipper

Zinkshipper

Posted Jun 28, 2006 @ 7:00 PM

I love the "White Christmas" Coca-Cola commercial with the punk rock version! I had to download it and play it all year round. Wait, did I say "download"? I mean "bought at the store"! Right...

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2006 @ 8:17 PM

I did a horrible job of describing that, but it's very cute.

No, you explained it quite well. I like this commercial too, for it's simplicity and for not overly-milking Christmas and using all the same jokes as other Christmas commercials.

lovelinus

lovelinus

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2006 @ 8:37 PM

I think the song is that "Oh, Christmas Tree" one

It was "We Wish You A Merry Christmas".

murphsully

murphsully

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2006 @ 11:09 PM

Okay, it's September so Peter should be coming home from college (for the 25th year) any time now.....

I didn't see it, but did Staples do its "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" ad for back-to-school this year. (I know back-to-school isn't technically a holiday, but I thought the song would fit)

Jess Sayin

Jess Sayin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 11:38 AM

I didn't see it, but did Staples do its "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" ad for back-to-school this year. (I know back-to-school isn't technically a holiday, but I thought the song would fit)

I was just going to post about this! At first, I thought this song was so inappropriate for the middle of July, but now that I'm a parent with a school-aged child, I can TOTALLY relate!

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 3:51 PM

For some reason I always thought that Peter was coming back from the Army, not college.

And it doesn't matter how many years running I see that ad, I get choked up every time.

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 4:02 PM

Wasn't Peter's hair too long to be a soldier? I always wondered why the hell Peter's parents were too freaking sorry/cheap/lazy to get him home from college or whatever location he had been.

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 5:03 PM

I always assumed that Peter was home early, and that's why Mom and Sis were so happy to see him. Although, wasn't it Christmas Eve? So maybe Peter wasn't supposed to come home at all, and that's why he was surprising them.

Imelda

Imelda

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 6:46 PM

I also love the Cadbury bunny who "lays" a chocolate Cadbury egg at eastertime. Complete with the chicken clucks.

And because of that commercial, I thought that rabbits clucked until I was like 15. I swear, I was shocked the first time I ever saw a rabbit up close and realized that they really don't make much noise at all and they certainly don't cluck.

And the Folgers "Peter" commericals (hee! I'm 12!) are a big inside joke in my family. It never fails on Christmas morning, I hand my dad a cup of coffee and he gasps and says "Oh, Peter! You're home!" Dad has been saying this for at least 20 years. My mom still rolls her eyes and I still giggle. Aww...

Librarian

Librarian

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2006 @ 10:47 AM

This could also go in the "TV moments that angry up the blood" thread: F**k you, Loew's, for having a Christmas commercial on October 23.

SunniLee

SunniLee

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2006 @ 11:23 AM

Wasn't Peter's hair too long to be a soldier? I always wondered why the hell Peter's parents were too freaking sorry/cheap/lazy to get him home from college or whatever location he had been.

I figure it this way. Little sis was obviously a late-in-life, Oops! baby, so Mom & Dad were struggling financially and had to put off retirement to be able to pay for her piano lessons, cheerleading camp in high school, and college in a few more years.

Peter was supposed to keep his ass on campus that year to save money, but he bummed a ride after posting a sad little note on the campus commons bulletin board. So he decided to "surprise" everyone, hoping to give Mom & Dad matching heart attacks and collect the insurance money. But that damned coffee aroma warned them that something was up, and they were spared. Too bad The King wasn't around back then.

PittsburghDiva

PittsburghDiva

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2006 @ 2:11 PM

I loved the Target holiday ads with the Earth, Wind, & Fire music. The one with the little girls who are triplets was cute.

I can't wait to see what Target does this year.

cowkitty

cowkitty

Posted Oct 25, 2006 @ 10:40 PM

OK, sorry, but brown chocolate is the last thing I want to eat after having watched it drop out of a bunny's back end.

I always wondered why the hell Peter's parents were too freaking sorry/cheap/lazy to get him home from college or whatever location he had been.

Did you ever think it might be Peter? Maybe they just don't want him home. Maybe he has really bad B.O., or spits when he talks, or has violent tendancies.

I think SunniLee is onto something here, and it has to do with that large insurance policy he took out on them instead of paying for his books like he was supposed to.

Dispatcherbert

Dispatcherbert

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 2:26 AM

OK, sorry, but brown chocolate is the last thing I want to eat after having watched it drop out of a bunny's back end.

Oooh, good point, cowkitty! I didn't even think of that when I posted the original way back when! Gah! Now I'm scarred.

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 6:09 AM

Anybody else remember the "ghosts of the first turkey lovers" that Butterball used to show at Thanksgiving?

I do. They were a couple of Pilgrims haunting people who bought, or should buy, Butterballs. Man, that must be from the 1970's

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 6:12 AM

Actually, it would come out of the bunny's ... er... lady bits. Not that that's a hell of a lot better....

murphsully

murphsully

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 6:55 PM

I always wondered why the hell Peter's parents were too freaking sorry/cheap/lazy to get him home from college or whatever location he had been.

I just assumed that Peter just came home earlier than expected. But I have to say that I really like the theories that have been posted here!

javalake

javalake

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2006 @ 12:04 AM

I thought the Christmas ad floodgates would open Nov 1, as soon as the Halloween stuff was cleared off the shelves, but it looks like they started this weekend - when the TV shows haven't even finished showing Halloween episodes.