Ugly Betty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1457 replies to this topic

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

• Interests:Television, Dogs, Languages, Music, Imaginary Hallucinations, Being Weird

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 3:15 AM

Personally, for the whole run of the show, I was against Daniel and Betty as a couple. However, when they hinted at Daniel having feelings for her in the last two episodes, I realized that I wasn't as much against it as I thought I was. I'm really happy with the ending we got though. It's rather open-ended and satisfies both parties - those who want to see them together and those who don't. Everyone can draw their own conclusions regarding the outcome and honestly that's what I prefer over a "they got each other"-ending. I think Horta did write a very good ending, considering that he didn't really have much time to wrap up loose ends and I like how simple the flash forward in London was.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Did Wili's crazy red/blue zig-zag dress when she got out of the hospital scare you as much as it did me?

That thing literally gave me a migraine when I watched the episode. (Working on my Design degree, we learned never to put magenta and full-saturation blue next to each other because it's the strongest clash of colors there is, and makes the boundary between the two seem to vibrate.) Maybe Willie wanted it to hypnotize people?

DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

All I know is that the famous young male designer of that outfit (name escapes me) died within weeks of that episode airing. I still don't like the look though. In fact, since I don't think I've already said this yet, I really detested much of work Carrie Bradsaw's costume lady did once she came on-board in season 3. Yes, she did a good job on the pilot, but the other guy they had in LA was much less wild. Wili in an orange outfit with shoulder pads? No. Or that green and purple shiny Golden Girls ensemble? No!

I always believed the show was about Betty operating in two different worlds, kind of feeling like an outsider in both, and eventually learning to bridge them. When they introduced Henry, the respected geek in Mode world, they inadvertently introduced something that bridged those worlds for Betty. It was way too soon for that to happen and the show suffered for it. The obstacles ceased being organically based in Betty's disparate worlds and became contrived.

What I was asking before was whether, if the show had avoided the baby drama and still kept Betty with Henry (for a time), the series would have turned out better. So many people hated seeing Betty and Henry constantly being pulled apart, so having a steady relationship...I think that would have been an interesting move. It also seemed to bug people that underdog Betty had so many attractive guys into her. I could see Betty staying with Henry (as she did with Walter) for a couple of years and their relationship just being a regular part of the series, like Amanda/Marc. I'm not saying it would have been better than what we did get, but it very likely would have changed the shape of the show to make Henry less unattainable.

I see from your viewpoint that Henry messed the premise up too much to be around for three seasons, though. You could be right.

All things said, I wish they'd kept all the writers they had in the first two seasons.

There was supposed to be a Daniel/Betty moment in the pilot that the actors overruled.

Where did you hear that? News to me!

Edited by DisneyBoy, Sep 26, 2012 @ 4:28 PM.

Banna

Banna

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

I've been lurking on this thread since Ugly Betty first started airing. LOL funny I wait till way after the show has aired to get in on the topic.

First I'll say I loved the show. Loved the cast, (most of) the story lines, and what not. I hated that the writers' strike came along and screwed up the series and was even more annoyed when the show was moved around so much while it was still airing. I'm not watching it on the TV Guide channel and I still have mad love for this show.

Like many others, I was glad that the Betty/Daniel thing was left a bit open-ended. I kinda wish we could've seen a bit more of Betty in London, would loved to have seen some of her adventures there. LOL guess I need to search for some fanfic for it. I also loved Justin and was very glad with the way they handled his character. I always thought it was so cute that Marc was Justin mentor because it gave him a great "not an asshole" side.

Initially I didn't mind Henry and I guess that's because I hated Walter. I liked the fact that Henry was thoughtful and witty, and I wasn't even bothered when they brought in the ex-girlfriend. But the whole pregnancy thing blew my mind and really seemed out of character for Henry. I was hoping they would go the "she cheated on him" route just to get rid of Charlie and the baby storyline.

Also the show has started over from the beginning again and I always forget about the "faux Fay" story line. I still wonder if that storyline was supposed to go somewhere else and instead they introduced Alexis. And Claire looked so old when the show started! I was glad they seemed to up her styling a bit. But I hated the way everyone else started looking, I loved Amanda's early outfits and I cringe everything I think of her wearing that crazy red (or purple?) bubble skirt in the episode where Christina kidnaps her baby and Hartley comes to the office.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Also the show has started over from the beginning again and I always forget about the "faux Fay" story line. I still wonder if that storyline was supposed to go somewhere else and instead they introduced Alexis.

My impression was that the way it turned out was always meant to be the way it was. They were talking about Daniel's dead brother in the pilot(?), so I think the idea that Fay was still alive was always meant as a fake out.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

I read on the old Twop Ugly Betty thread that Horta wrote in the bandaged women before knowing for sure her real identity, yet at the same time reassuring execs that he did. This seems to be the case with most TV writers, where writers are openly admitting to writing in stories without knowing how they'd end, and revelling in the challenge of figuring it out along the way.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

What I was asking before was whether, if the show had avoided the baby drama and still kept Betty with Henry (for a time), the series would have turned out better.

Oh I understood what you were asking. I wasn't able to word it quite like I wanted to but I basically think it wasn't even in their frame of reference to attempt something like that. For a soap opera, they were a pretty big massive fail on the romance front. So would it have been better if they just had Henry and Betty together longer term? Sure, with better writers.

But you're right, all of the drama did test the patience of viewers but like I said, I was over Henry earlier than most so I probably couldn't answer that hypothetical.

Honestly, I don't know. I think it came from an interview but I've read it so many times that it just became UB lore which means there is a possibility it never happened.

I read on the old Twop Ugly Betty thread that Horta wrote in the bandaged women before knowing for sure her real identity, yet at the same time reassuring execs that he did. This seems to be the case with most TV writers, where writers are openly admitting to writing in stories without knowing how they'd end, and revelling in the challenge of figuring it out along the way.

I think writers do that when it comes to long term serialized shows like Lost. They claim they know where it's going to get viewers to invest in trust in them but in reality they don't and it turns into a mess. However, most writers at least think they know where they're going with a thirteen episode arc. Or they should. Had I know Horta didn't know, that would have worried me.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

I'm fuzzy on the exact details, but during Betty and Daniel’s last scene together in the pilot, she turns her head to give him a second look while he is walking away (exactly like she did with Matt in “There's No Place Like Mode”) but Horta later decided against it and sliced that moment out.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 2:34 AM

Daniel doesn't walk away from Betty at the end of the pilot. She walks away from him -- and he definitely gives her a "look" before he gets into the limo.

I always felt that Eric played up the Detty possibilities. And he did it in a very sweet and subtle way. Not so much America -- she was the anti-Betty in that respect (since the long-term arc of all the other Betty series is that romance).

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

Yes - it was amazing, wasn't it? One of the most moving moments of the series. And yet, somehow Kurt from Glee ended up getting tons more press for his weekly bouts of self-doubt.

This is just a theory but I think it's because Ugly Betty was no longer the darling of the media as it once was due to poor ratings.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

I always believed the show was about Betty operating in two different worlds, kind of feeling like an outsider in both, and eventually learning to bridge them. When they introduced Henry, the respected geek in Mode world, they inadvertently introduced something that bridged those worlds for Betty. It was way too soon for that to happen and the show suffered for it.

I think that's a good point. I really enjoyed the portion of the Betty/Henry relationship that preceded the baby mama drama, but I think you're right that it happened too early in the series.

(Horta, BTW, had said he wasn't going to do Daniel/Betty so I can only think the hint of something more was thanks to America's influence.)

Well, that knocks my admiration for America Fererra down a peg. I kid. I am surprised to read that she was behind the hint of potential romance, however, because I never once felt it from Betty even when the show was putting it out there in the end. Daniel a bit, for about five minutes, but not Betty.

I think Horta did write a very good ending, considering that he didn't really have much time to wrap up loose ends and I like how simple the flash forward in London was.

I was quite impressed with how well things were wrapped up in the finale. In fact, it did the best job on that front that I have seen in a very long time; I usually wind up disappointed with finales, but this one was very satisfying in the way it left all the characters.

I also loved Justin and was very glad with the way they handled his character. I always thought it was so cute that Marc was Justin mentor because it gave him a great "not an asshole" side.

I think Justin, including his relationship with Marc, was the most consistent aspect of the show. I like that the Marc connection was established early on and continued organically. For all the show's campy fun, Justin's story arc was refreshingly natural and properly paced.

DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Well, I'm sure I remember hearing them state - on bonus features or in interviews - that Fey is still very much alive. And it makes sense with what is left over of that plot once you factor Alexis into the bandages.

I think Justin, including his relationship with Marc, was the most consistent aspect of the show. I like that the Marc connection was established early on and continued organically. For all the show's campy fun, Justin's story arc was refreshingly natural and properly paced.

Definitely. I wasn't super keen on Marc's glee in some instances when Justin finally started to open up about his boyfriend - a little too "I called it!" - but otherwise he was a cool confidante.

I was quite impressed with how well things were wrapped up in the finale. In fact, it did the best job on that front that I have seen in a very long time; I usually wind up disappointed with finales, but this one was very satisfying in the way it left all the characters.

I loved that Wili had another plan in motion - to get Connor to squeal and get time off for good behaviour - but I didn't like how things wrapped up between her and Claire. Wasn't Wili resolved to get the "whole damn company"? Sure, she might have changed her mind after the gunshot...but I felt like those were two big character moments too close together. And then ending things with her sparing Tyler from jail (though how the cops couldn't tell from the evidence that Tyler's prints had been on the gun and that security videos show him in the building, etc, etc is beyond me) didn't quite wrap it up well enough. Claire's final scenes with her are very angry...and that's justified, but not much of a resolution. For me, the underlying Claire/Wili tension was one of the biggest aspects of the series. Who would win?

I didn't mind that they were briefly working together somewhat well, but I did mind that their complex relationship never really paid off/climaxed. I think Daniel even has to tell Wili in passing that Claire's okayed the transfer of Mode to her. There just wasn't time to give that a scene all its own.

I was super, super super bummed never to see Fabia again after season 2. They did reference her as an advertiser, to their credit, but she was a hoot. I imagine she'd have laughed her new ass off over seeing some of Wili's outfits :)

The ending was pretty darn good, but you could kind-of feel things going at double speed in the hopes of bringing it all together. And this was a soap opera, so there were always bound to be loose ends.

Another point: Stewart was deathly ill and then his disease just...vanished? How was he totally fine two years after his diagnosis? I think they had a quick line of dialogue about how "maybe that experimental treatment worked after all!" but I only caught it while going through the DVDs. I kept expecting him to die on Christina in Season Three.

Edited by DisneyBoy, Sep 28, 2012 @ 3:45 PM.

BJD

BJD

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 5:33 AM

I've never really sat down and watched this show from the beginning before so I figured it was time I probably did. I'm still not familiar with all of it but I must have watched a good proportion of season 3 and 4 on reruns but never really gotten into it, so I'm catching up with it on video.

I loved, loved, loved the first 1 and a half seasons, its during said second half of the second season is when it started to lose its audience and I guess I would have been among them. The reason is simple, the central story arc, the story of the poor immigrant girl from Queens who lands her dream job and wins the love and respect of everyone, or least the love and respect of those who matter and who have the heart to see hers - is all but done, the final metamorphosis of the caterpillar into the butterfly (a motif that repeats more than once) is the only thing remaining, the machinations of the Ice Queen Wilhelmina are thwarted, evil is overthrown and the world is put to rights. Sort of.

After that Daniel and Betty's developing relationship put on hold, whether she lands a editorial postition or turns glamourous and marries the boss as in the original Telenovella, the story arc launched in the pilot is all but done and all the following seasons can do is stretch out this remaining premise to breaking point, only resuming it in the final half of season 4 - inbetween the writers are winging it and clearly have no real idea where to take it next and in the end can only recycle the same old guff for example, Wilhelmina concocting some new diabolical plot to take over the company and/or sabotage the Meade family over and over and even the hammiest of soap opera cliche of the long lost son who returns is coughed up not once but twice. Talk about repetitive.

The fact that the writers have no idea where they're going subsequently leads to some awful writing and botched plots, the worst being the ghastly love triangle of Betty, Henry and Gio the second half of season 2 - it descends into farce and it's no suprise that two of the writing staff were sacked after this. Its resolution is even worse - both guys are dumped in some goddamn awful denouement where Betty goes off travelling to "find herself" - what a bunch of crap. And worse than that it breaks the cardinal rule of the show that the character of Betty is all about heart and will go out of her way to avoid hurting anyone - it makes her look like a self serving jerk and it's left to Gio to point out how absurd this plot device is. It probably didn't help things when the show was cut short this season due to the Writers Strike, it seems likely there would have a bit more teasing out of this story. Maybe.

Which leads me to my other main complaint, the show started out in part as a smart satire on overwrought soap operas but ended up becoming one itself. And that sadly was it's problem - it was never quite sure what it wanted to be, realistic abeit comedy, drama or an old fashioned soap complete with all the nonsense that entails. Season One got the balance right by combining the gritty reality of the Saurez family and Betty's struggle to transcend the poor neighbourhood and the unfilled dull life awaiting her and contrasting that with the hyper surreal soap opera fantasy world of the Meades and Mode. Once the lines between the two blurred the show lost the plot literally and figuratively. I was sad when it was cancelled after 4 seasons but not really suprised. By then Ugly Betty had ceased to be ugly at all and the show had essentially lost it's purpose.

Season 3 has been described as a comic melodrama, but I think mildly amusing melodrama sums it up better. All I can say is.... what a wasted oppurtunity. The only thing that surprises me is that it managed to make it to a 4th season at all. Season 4 is when it starts becoming watchable again but by then the damage is done the audience has deserted and show was cancelled. It's no surprise that the really succesful comedy dramas tend to centre on a core group of beloved characters in a small number of locations and it's completely open ended so long as the writers can keep coming up with the gags - rather than introducing all kinds of new characters and plots only to drop them after a few eps that wander all over the place. UB lacked focus.

[Part two]

But shall I tell you what I most liked about the show? It's ugly Betty herself, whatever she become she was at first one of the most original and memorable characters created for the screen. Once seen she's never quite forgotten and I for one will miss her terribly. Goodbye Betty, it was a blast. Mostly.

N.B. I was never a fan of the "Detty" (God, I hate that word) in fact until this thread I'd never have guessed that such a fanship even existed. To use her own phrase they're in different places. In season two when Daniel thinks Betty might have a thing for him he tries to sit her down and said "Betty I know you have a crush on me but we're going to talk it through alright?" - which is precisely what an older man would say to a teenage girl who had her first crush on him. And thats how he sees her at that point. Conversely she's always had to watch his own immaturity, his womanising his lack of commitment to relationships and basically had to act as nursemaid and babysitter for him - again, not a good start for romantic interest, its rather more like an older sister/younger brother type relationship from her perspective. Sure they share a very strong emotional bond, the bridge scene from season 1 or Daniel saying anyone who messes with Betty messes with me in S04E01 - but thats far from being a romantic interest - on either side. There is precisely no chance of any romantic attatchment until the very end of season 4 when I could believe it may be possible precisely because they're both nearly equal now in emotional maturity as well as professional status.

Personally I'm sitting on the fence, if it happens it happens but I think she can do better honestly. Whatever happens I don't believe that dinner was anything more than a dinner between two close friends from Betty's perspective, she's always been slow to pick up on when men are interested in her she's always been "Wait what? No way!" which was pretty much what she non verbally communicated to mother Meade when she tried to point it out to her. The reason is her lack of emotional maturity she's still on her High School prom night when she couldn't find anyone to invite her, she simply can't conceive of any man finding her remotely attractive. Having said that she's done a lot of growing up towards the end and she must wonder why Daniel is in London at all, although it is all very quick and hurried so maybe she'll get clued up as she thinks about later. I think she has matured a lot so maybe she's now in that place where she might actually consider giving it a go but to be honest I think he needs her a lot more than she needs him at that point. So take it steady Daniel and don't ruin a beautiful friendship huh?

P.S. a lot of people in previous comments seem to think she'd be sacked from her job for screwing up her various assignments, well they've invested a lot in her so she won't be believe me. Trust me, I've been there, I've been hauled over hot coals and had the boss screaming in my face for major screw ups but as long as don't repeat it continuously you'll survive. Also it's never been about her being some kind of prodigy but rather by hard work, diligence, and ok some luck she gets to where she wants go. And not a small amount of sucking it up, which is what you have to do you want to climb the greasy career ladder.

The last word should really go to the writers themselves and they admitted they screwed up when they stated that core of the story had always been about Betty and Daniel and whether they be friends or lovers neglecting that aspect was the shows downfall and that the central story of the poor girl from Queen's trying to make it good in the big city got lost in all the intrigue. Amen to that.

DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

You touch on a lot of good points...the one I cared about the most as the series played out was that sharp balance of satire and real-world pain in Season One that you mentioned. It really did feel like Betty's family had little money and that her mother's death still haunted them. Hilda really did feel like a woman with limited options. By the time we get to season four (even though I liked that year), all the characters have flashy(er) clothes to wear, and can afford a glitzy wedding without so much as a mention of her absent mother, or even Santos, Hilda's original groom. As much as I like to see characters eventually get their "happy endings" I think they also have to make sense. Sadly, everyone's income seems to somehow triple in the final episodes of any series. It becomes hard to swallow.

The fact that the writers have no idea where they're going subsequently leads to some awful writing and botched plots, the worst being the ghastly love triangle of Betty, Henry and Gio the second half of season 2 - it descends into farce and it's no suprise that two of the writing staff were sacked after this. Its resolution is even worse - both guys are dumped in some goddamn awful denouement where Betty goes off travelling to "find herself" - what a bunch of crap. And worse than that it breaks the cardinal rule of the show that the character of Betty is all about heart and will go out of her way to avoid hurting anyone - it makes her look like a self serving jerk and it's left to Gio to point out how absurd this plot device is. It probably didn't help things when the show was cut short this season due to the Writers Strike, it seems likely there would have a bit more teasing out of this story. Maybe.

I didn't mind that the show worked itself a bit into a corner at that point with the two love interests. It can happen in real life and Betty had two different relationships with them. It was the resolution that pissed me off, and the fact that they allowed the show's move to NYC affect the aftermath. None of us expected Betty to get engaged, but it did make sense that she'd want to try to save her relationship with Henry, because he was so perfect in her eyes.

I think it made his later appearances on the show rather poignant because sometimes we do end up walking away from wonderful people. It's not like being a father made him a worse person or anything. I could believe the pregnancy...I think what bothered people was Betty pursuing a romance with him under those circumstances. And folks hated Charlie big time.

I'm glad season two wasn't longer because stretching out the Gio stuff might have made it less enjoyable. As it was, she was caught off-guard by him. I had no problem with it.

..until she came back all perky about finding her stupid "spirit bird" and waving at Gio. Suddenly she was oblivious to the consequences of her actions, and the Betty character disappeared for me.

Daniel having a son, I think, really upset people who were hoping to see more of Daniel/Betty growing together. Again, I didn't mind it, but once they removed him from the show, it did feel a bit like a stunt and something that wasn't necessary to the overall series.

I also agree with your analysis of their relationship. It was much more sibling-like in my eyes, and I didn't care for how they tried to transition it into being something more at the last moments. If they'd written it better, fine. But Daniel seeing Betty in a nice dress? That's the thing that clues him in to his feelings for her? Pretty cliche.

BJD

BJD

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

Been busy so apologies for the late reply...

I really, really liked Betty and Henry, the geeky girl and the nerdy guy worked so well, and they had great chemistry. Until all that baby mama drama completely ruined it. After that I always hated Henry for screwing up all her subsequent relationships. The writing was exceptionally dumb because Charlie was this manipulative bitch and neither Henry nor Betty could see it. I was shouting at the TV "can't you see it? She's wrapping you both around her little finger!" It made both characters seem much less intelligent, like being unable to see the nose in front of your face.

But Daniel seeing Betty in a nice dress? That's the thing that clues him in to his feelings for her? Pretty cliche

That bugged me as well, its like Daniel only "notices" her after she glams up? It Thats pretty shallow. It started when she got her braces off and she asks why he's staring at her? and Daniel replies "Betty... you look great!. It was the first time he found her physically attractive. But the show has always been about the fact that are some people in this world who are never going to be good looking, or look great in a dress/suit and that it doesn't matter. That seemed to undermine this it suggests that you have to be glamorous to get on or attract the handsome, rich guy. It may have been unintentional but thats how it came across. If he'd had feelings for her earlier I could have bought it easier.

As for the sudden transformation in Daniels feelings in the penultimate episode I didn't mind that so much, after they've been better than close friends so long it probably had to happen sooner or later. I also don't believe that Betty feels the same way - and I'm fine with that. He's had his moment of revelation, she's yet to have hers.

I don't think that she's against the idea per se, she did say that she'd love to have dinner with him and he's so going to pursue her. Of all the relationships she's had it's always been the men who've been interested in her first, the only exception to that was Jessie, who despite her "no more romantic entanglements" resolution she practically threw herself at him... and we know how that turned out.

It was Marc who pointed out that Matt had the hots for Betty, likewise Amanda pointed out that Henry was interested in her, even Gio who she positively disliked at first I think would have won her over if he hadn't been so pushy... and she didn't have a boyfriend already. Betty so obviously wants to be in a relationship, she even states in S3 shes "back on the market again" and no matter what her head says her heart always overrules it. So even if she's not into Daniel to start with I can see her coming around, given time.

And lets face it, Daniel has plenty of experiance. He even won Molly over and she was engaged to be married. So yeah, I can see Daniel winning Betty. How it turns out in the long term is anyones guess, I think he's of an age where he's ready to get married again and even settle down and start a family but I don't think Betty's in that place yet, afterall she's a good deal younger and is still in full on career mode, she's got a world to conquer and as Wilhemina pointed out to her, "you're a career girl Betty, just like me".

Edited by BJD, Nov 22, 2012 @ 8:30 AM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

I don't ever see Betty and Daniel so much as going on a date, so I can't be sold on the idea of a relationship between them. I love their close friendship, and feel like the show cheapened that a bit at the end with their hastily-imposed hint of something else. But knowing the trajectory of the source material, I'm actually quite pleased with the restraint.

It started when she got her braces off and she asks why he's staring at her? and Daniel replies "Betty... you look great!. It was the first time he found her physically attractive. But the show has always been about the fact that are some people in this world who are never going to be good looking, or look great in a dress/suit and that it doesn't matter.

There is an earlier scene when Daniel tells Betty she is beautiful, and she replies something along the lines of, "I'm perfectly comfortable with who I am, and I am not beautiful." I loved that attitude. I do think America Ferrerra is attractive, and thus they never could actually make Betty ugly - although the clothes, hair, bad glasses and braces certainly helped - but I love the "radical" notion that it's okay not everyone is conventionally attractive.

BJD

BJD

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

I never did get why (Gio) was so immediately taken with Betty though - she was still in a really dowdy phase and Gio seemed like he could attract a variety of girls purely using his natural charisma. Why he'd put himself through the pain of wanting someone who wouldn't let herself want him back felt contrary to his character. Forgive me if my psychology is off here, but isn't that the type of thing only an insecure person does?

I don't believe the writers had any idea either. With the exception of Henry and possibly Daniel none of her romantic entanglements made any kind of sense. The first time Matt appears onscreen he's obviously smitten with Betty for... no obvious reason.

With Henry it was built up very nicely over S1 and S2 and it was believable, the others, not so much. Heck, even lil' Bow Wow was hitting on her after 10 minutes stuck in a lift. For an ugly girl she sure had a lot of male attention (no, that didn't make any sense either)

It served the purpose of making Betty having a story arc of relationships with increasingly more "normal" guys, but in the process plausiblity got lost, or worse, ignored.

I don't ever see Betty and Daniel so much as going on a date, so I can't be sold on the idea of a relationship between them. I love their close friendship, and feel like the show cheapened that a bit at the end with their hastily-imposed hint of something else. But knowing the trajectory of the source material, I'm actually quite pleased with the restraint.

I think the problem most people have with it is, if they never intended to go anywhere with it why bring it up at all? They could have simply ended it with Betty and Daniel having a tearful goodbye with hugs as they say farewell and good luck to each other, that would have been ok, I would have been quite happy with that.

But instead we're left with Daniel in a funk and ignoring Betty for for much of the finale only for him show up in the closing seconds, have a brief chat and ending on lukewarm maybe they'll get together in the future. Which seemed a waste. Why the build up and not follow through with it? It's like Juliet saying after Romeo's death, I never cared for him much anyway and returning to Florence. It lacks emotional fulfillment.

In the process of trying not to offend shippers and non-shippers, they ended up by pleasing neither.

Edited by BJD, Dec 7, 2012 @ 8:59 AM.

nexus2012

nexus2012

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:40 AM

One of my favourite moments:

W: Was that monochromatic blur Betty Suarez?

M: I know! Where are the polka dots and butterflies and m-mexican blankets?

W: Does she look... nice?

M: Willie! You swore you'd die before you ever complimented a Suarez ensemble. (collapses to the floor)

I adore Vanessa Williams and Michael Urie.