Farscape in the Media: The Infamous Crichton Gang

• Please log in to reply

903 replies to this topic

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 12:12 PM

By request, a media thread.

By necessity, a shoutout in the Chicago Tribune (thanks MissMo).

By choice, thanks from me to all the writers and columnists and media folk who ever said something about Farscape and it's crazy fans. It meant a lot and helped keep us going.

Edited by cutecouple, Jun 16, 2006 @ 12:13 PM.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 2:12 PM

There was another Farscape mention yesterday in an article called Steven Spielberg to Direct a Wormhole Movie. Memo to Steven: just finance the Farscape movie already!

Btw, if you like seeing Farscape "in the news", you can sign up for Google News Alerts and the links to any new articles/ references will be emailed to you daily.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 2:34 PM

low-budget?

Not so long ago, a rather low-budget television series by the Sci-Fi Channel, entitled "Farscape" became very popular. Four series were filmed, and a film, in conclusion, entitled "Farscape - The Peacekeepers".

Yikes! The writer didn't actually watch the show did they? *shudder*

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 10:18 PM

I know, that's pretty shoddy journalism. "Once upon a time, apparently, or so I'm told, there was this show..." One actual look at the production values would have changed the author's tone.

On a completely silly note, shouldn't it be "The Infamous Cretin Gang"?

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 10:30 PM

On a completely silly note, shouldn't it be "The Infamous Cretin Gang"?

*snort*

BORLIK: And are you Crichton?
AERYN: No he's not. And we don't know who this "Cretin" is.

DMW_SFU

DMW_SFU

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2006 @ 1:20 PM

There's a mention here:

The question was, if you could, what TV show would you bring back. The two clear favorites were “Everwood” and “Firefly.” Some samples: ...

Phil: “ ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000,’ hands down. ‘Farscape’ as a distant second place.”

I can't believe this "Phil" would rate it a "distant second" to MST3K, but it is still a media mention.

Edited by DMW_SFU, Jun 17, 2006 @ 1:22 PM.

DMW_SFU

DMW_SFU

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 7:21 PM

Here's yet another mention of the show, in an article about Firefly's Browncoats. Brief mention of the show and us:

Fan fervor, after all, helped put "Firefly" on the big screen, much as "Scaper" fans of the prematurely canceled "Farscape" sci-fi show got it revived as a miniseries.

Edited by DMW_SFU, Jun 22, 2006 @ 7:23 PM.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 8:00 PM

Aw, that writer is such a fan. I remember in the build-up to PKW his review included something along the lines of "watch it or I'll hunt you down". Hee.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 6:37 PM

watch it or I'll hunt you down

Objective journalism at its best!

Actually, I'm not even sure if I'm being sarcastic. Strange.

DMW_SFU

DMW_SFU

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 10:17 PM

Well, to be fair, critics don't have to be objective. They actually get to have opinions and what-not.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 11:14 PM

I know. But I rarely let the actual truth get in the way of half decent snark. :)

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2006 @ 10:42 PM

Here's an odd mention. Also total wishful thinking:

Raleigh Observer

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2006 @ 10:47 PM

Still - a nice mention and from an unexpected source too. Cool.

:)

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2006 @ 9:53 PM

All hail Sars!

A very nice mention on the MSNBC site.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2006 @ 1:05 AM

A few little mentions (there have also been a bunch of Brian Henson mentions in relation to his Stephen King project):

Interview with Ben Browder in The Tennessean.

Maureen Ryan on Milestones for SG-1.

Number of times I've wished Scorpius from "Farscape" would come through Stargate Command's gate: 67.

See, now that's an episode I'd happily watch.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2006 @ 8:54 AM

Number of times I've wished Scorpius from "Farscape" would come through Stargate Command's gate: 67.

I had to laugh at that comment. Maureen Ryan rocks!

Edited by Firecracker1, Jul 10, 2006 @ 8:58 AM.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2006 @ 4:51 PM

celebrity-babies.com has a mention of Tammy McIntosh today. Apparently she is expecting a baby any day now, and they quote a news article about food cravings.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2006 @ 11:18 PM

There's a cute interview with Ben and Claudia in the Biloxi Sun Herald. It's ostensibly about the Stargate season opener, but the writer seems fairly well invested in the John/ Aeryn dynamic.

TV writer and true-blue Scaper Diane Werts at USA Today also has a very complimentary review of Brian Henson's "Battleground" project.

Edited by kayaj2k, Jul 12, 2006 @ 11:19 PM.

Hypnotoad2

Hypnotoad2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 14, 2006 @ 8:39 PM

There's a nice comment in the Honolulu Advertiser about Ben and Claudia.

Created by Showtime and spun off from a movie, "Stargate" was sometimes too stiff. It's been boosted immensely by the addition of Ben Browder and Claudia Black, from the late, lamented "Farscape."

Honolulu Advertiser

Another great comment by Maureen Ryan and Allison Benedikt in the Chicago Tribune

Claudia Black, as Vala, is the best thing to happen to "Stargate SG-1" in a long time. Her character's wit, ingenuity and saucy sexiness perk up not just the show's writers but her already excellent fellow cast members as well.

Chicago Tribune

Edited by Hypnotoad2, Jul 14, 2006 @ 8:43 PM.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2006 @ 10:57 PM

Also in the news this week: the company that owns Farscape's syndication rights, Debmar-Mercury, has been bought by Lionsgate Entertainment. It's not yet clear what, if anything, this means for Farscape.

Edited because grammar is my friend.

Edited by kayaj2k, Jul 15, 2006 @ 12:48 AM.

BostonTony

BostonTony

Posted Jul 15, 2006 @ 1:34 AM

Well, I guess, if nothing else, that now means that Lionsgate owns distribution rights to both the series and the PKW miniseries. Which is probably a good thing.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2006 @ 9:12 AM

Well, I guess, if nothing else, that now means that Lionsgate owns distribution rights to both the series and the PKW miniseries. Which is probably a good thing.

Not exactly. Lionsgate owns the distribution rights to the series and the DVD rights to PK Wars.

But it isn't a big stretch to think that when PK Wars becomes available they will make the effort to acquire those airing rights too.

This could be a good thing for Farscape. Lionsgate made pots of money on 'Crash' and are looking to spend it. Although I bet this acquisition cost them a penny or two.

Edited by Firecracker1, Jul 15, 2006 @ 9:14 AM.

SpacePPoliceman

SpacePPoliceman

Posted Jul 15, 2006 @ 2:11 PM

This may not necessarily go here, and I could be barking mad, but "Venture Bros." is my favorite cartoon of the past god knows how long, and I swear in the Christmas episode, a character exclaims "Oh, dren!"

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 4:35 PM

Two late lamented articles in as many days. :)

THE NEXT GREAT SCI-FI SHOW? I have found it!

An episode that airs next month shows that “Eureka” may have the gumption to become the best sci-fi show since the late lamented “Farscape.” It’s a story about a weapon that can create short-term memory loss and, by extension, long-term regrets. It’s a throwback to the old days, when science fiction was less about gizmos and more about the human propensity for madness. In other words, documentary in disguise.

and

10th anniversary party for Stargate SG-1 out of this world

Ben Browder, rested instead of restive for once, the leading man in his second cult sci-fi series in a row. (The first was the late, lamented — and unfairly cancelled — Farscape. To paraphrase a line from Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes, damn you Sci Fi Channel, damn you all to hell.)

he!

Alex Strachan has other nice things to say about Ben as well.

Edited by Firecracker1, Jul 17, 2006 @ 4:36 PM.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 5:18 PM

Aw, very cool!

Attention is not the issue for Browder. Despite leading-man looks, a ferocious screen presence and the adoration of an army of sci-fi fans for his years in the Australia-filmed series Farscape — a truly fine series that died before its time — Browder enjoys the work and camaraderie of the day-to-day on the set in Vancouver.

He has an undying affection for the genre, too. Finding himself on the same flight from Vancouver as Nathan Fillion, the Edmonton-born actor who played Capt. Malcolm Reynolds in Joss Whedon’s Firefly and later in the feature film Serenity, Browder says he buttonholed Fillion and they swapped war stories about Firefly and Farscape.

lpl

lpl

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 5:26 PM

kayaj2k says:

He has an undying affection for the genre, too. Finding himself on the same flight from Vancouver as Nathan Fillion, the Edmonton-born actor who played Capt. Malcolm Reynolds in Joss Whedon’s Firefly and later in the feature film Serenity, Browder says he buttonholed Fillion and they swapped war stories about Firefly and Farscape.

Oh my Lord, to have been a fly on the window on that flight!

From Cinescape:

STARGATE: SG-1 (9 PM PST, Sci Fi Channel) “Morpheus” After officially claiming the title of the longest US SF series in history last week, SG-1 continues to be invigorated by the lovely injection of FARSCAPE DNA that so enlivened things last year. Claudia Black—I love you!

Can't think of much TV that wouldn't be invigorated by an injection of Farscape DNA. A lot of shows that could use BB and CB's charms...

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 5:57 PM

the lovely injection of FARSCAPE DNA

Everytime I see that phrase all I can think off is the episode "DNA Mad Scientist". Wonder if that was deliberate?

booklad

booklad

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 6:08 PM

Probably, it's nice when 'scapers get subtle nods like that.

And it's nice to see sci-fi treated so well in the media. I was over in the BSG forums and there's a link to an article on the Emmy's. The reported wasn't surprised that Battlestar Galactica didn't get a nod because it was "well, Battlestar Galactica". Asshole.

Hypnotoad2

Hypnotoad2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 8:26 PM

kayaj2k says:

lpl
Oh my Lord, to have been a fly on the window on that flight!

That makes at least two of us.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 9:39 AM

That makes at least two of us.

Three. :)

(Except I would like to be a fly on the inside of the window. Not the outside... 'cause you know. Wind sheer and all that.)