College Baseball: The Road to Omaha

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

43 replies to this topic

Mischievious

Mischievious

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 3:04 PM

First, I must say that I am thrilled that the College World Series starts today and the games are tomorrow.

Did anyone watch any of the regionals or super regionals? North Carolina's final game in the Super was amazing. So many home runs and lead changes, it is crazy.

One of the Miami hitters had a beautiful grand slam.

TarHeelTeacher

TarHeelTeacher

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 12:05 PM

Let's go HEELS! This is so exciting! I have seen Chad's game winning HR about eleventy billion times this week. It is still pretty. We had hockey on one TV and baseball on another.

Edited because I can't spell when I am excited.

Edited by TarHeelTeacher, Jun 16, 2006 @ 12:07 PM.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 10:05 AM

I've enjoyed the coverage so far as it's always nice, to me, when baseball (at any level) is prominently featured. ESPN seems to be doing a good job.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 11:31 PM

I go to a bunch of college games (but not at CWS level) and for some reason while I don't notice it at the game, on TV the sound of the metal bats really annoys me.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 8:39 AM

The aluminum ping does sound louder on TV, almost as if the bat is mic'd.

darling

darling

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 4:48 PM

I can't even watch college baseball on TV, ever, I find the sound so unbearable. Even if it's just highlights of the CWS on SportsCenter, I have to mute it. And the crack of a wood bat is one of my favorite sounds in the world, but the aluminum ping? Is from hell.

zoey1996

zoey1996

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 9:32 AM

I used to live in Omaha, and was lucky enough to get season tickets for the CWS my third year there, so I attended a lot of games! 5 years ago, I moved to VA, so now watching on TV has to do it for me. This year has been really good! I'm rooting for Oregon State against NC tonight, but I didn't really have a favorite going in.
Yes, I agree - the ping of the bat just isn't the same as hearing a wooden bat hit a baseball. It's kind of annoying in person, too! But I just love baseball, especially college and the minors.
I think ESPN does a great job with the broadcasts. I even enjoy the celebrity sightings!

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2006 @ 6:46 AM

Congrats to OSU for winning and their amazing pitching. My ex-husband went to UNC so I rooted for them out of habit but was happy with the outcome anyway.

Harold Reynolds, your home state must be doing the happy dance!

Phebe Marie

Phebe Marie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 1:00 PM

Oregon State is back today to defend their title against Cal State Fullerton. Go Beavs!

Edited by Phebe Marie, Jun 16, 2007 @ 1:00 PM.

neglander

neglander

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 17, 2007 @ 9:40 PM

Oregon State won their game but they nearly screwed it up. What was interesting about that game was the Cal State Fullerton runner getting caught in a run down between 3rd and home that cost them the tying run. The same thing happened to them last year against UNC and it cost them the game.

I keep hearing about UNC's great pitching but since the regionals their starters have been run right out of the game. They have to face Louisville next and the way those guys are hitting I think UNC's journey will end.

Mischievious

Mischievious

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 1:52 PM

What was interesting about that game was the Cal State Fullerton runner getting caught in a run down between 3rd and home that cost them the tying run. The same thing happened to them last year against UNC and it cost them the game.

Okay, I was at that game, so I can't comment on how it looked on tv, but it was actually pretty smart of CSF to do. They had no outs and with all the focus on the runner going from 3rd to home, the runner already on first was able to make it to third and the batter made it to second base, giving them two runners in scoring position with only one out and no force out because the runners would not have to advance to make room for the next batter. It was a great game, especially in the bottom of the ninth with all of the strategy and the two coaches trying to outstrategize each other with match ups of pitchers versus batters. It was definately a pitching battle and a game worthy of being the national championship game. Much much better than the high running games.

I have to ask since I've been at most of the games...did the announcers say anything about the beach ball hoopla during the CSF-OSU game? As always, the beach balls kept landing in the outfield. However, CSF has now become more of a fan favorite because their outfielders decided to grab the beach balls before security and the grounds crew could and give the balls back to the general admission crowds in the bleachers. It was quite funny during the game.

Phebe Marie

Phebe Marie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 7:54 PM

I may have missed the beach ball color commentary. I don't think I heard anything.

Beavs are up 2 to 0 against Arizona State! Woo-hoo!

Phebe Marie

Phebe Marie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2007 @ 11:50 PM

I was hoping Arizona State would pull out a win in their elimination game today. I've got to support the Pac-10 schools, especially since Oregon State is one win away from the championship series. Go, Beavs!

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 6:28 AM

UC-Irvine, wow, that was an exciting game! How can you not root for a team nicknamed the Anteaters?

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 6:05 PM

Zot!! Alum '91. I watched them lose the opening round on Saturday, but since they won when I wasn't watching, I've developed my own superstition. Teams I want to win lose if I watch. If I don't watch they have a 50-50 shot. Go Anteaters!!! I'll watch everything after the fact.

eta - the link.

Edited by dagny, Jun 20, 2007 @ 6:06 PM.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 6:43 PM

I am loving ESPN's coverage of the CWS. The announcers are great, the camera work is good, and I can feel the excitement coming all the way from Omaha. The only thing that would make it better is if Harold Reynolds was still with ESPN.

neglander

neglander

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 8:51 PM

I keep hearing about UNC's great pitching but since the regionals their starters have been run right out of the game. They have to face Louisville next and the way those guys are hitting I think UNC's journey will end.

Well they shut me up.

Phebe Marie

Phebe Marie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 9:34 PM

I'm certain the Anteaters are a charming group of guys, but I found the constant focus on them and their fun, fun, fun antics to be a little one-sided during the game tonight. Of course, I am an OSU alumni and might be a bit biased myself.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 9:57 PM

I don't have ties to either team and even though I totally jumped on the Anteaters bandwagon last night I thought the focus tonight was a bit over the top as well.

Phebe Marie

Phebe Marie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2007 @ 4:18 PM

It's a case of deja vu today in Omaha with Oregon State and North Carolina set for a rematch. The Beavers' defense looks unbeatable. How's the NC offense this year?

Since I've already admitted my bias, I will just add, "Go Beavers!"

neglander

neglander

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 12:30 PM

Game 1 wasn't even close however UNC have there two best starters taking the mound in the next two games.

This is a couple of days late but what was the Rice coach thinking arguing that balk call in their loss to UNC. He told the umpire that in the two years that pitcher has been pitching an umpire has never called that move a balk and only a couple of minutes before one of the announcers said that the pitcher had been called for 8 balks that year. On top of that the pitcher did balk and it was obvious. That was the most obvious balk I have ever seen. I understand coaches sticking up for their players but, that was ridiculous.

Edited by neglander, Jun 24, 2007 @ 12:31 PM.

Phebe Marie

Phebe Marie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 11:35 PM

Congratulations, Beavers! What a fantastic series!

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 6:58 AM

Congrats to OSU on back-to-back championships! I wish the final series could have been more competitive but then entire CWS sure was fun to watch.

neglander

neglander

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

Its that time of the year again. I think that college baseball has the best system for determining a national championship.

Did anyone see that play were a UC-Irvine player picked a LSU player off base. I have heard LSU fans screaming about it on other boards but I haven't seen it myself. Any thoughts?

Mischievious

Mischievious

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 11:59 PM

I didn't see that, but on Sunday, the LSU left fielder (#6) made the MOST amazing catch. He laid flat out in the air and dove to catch the ball, did a somersault of sorts and landed back on his feet as if it was a routine play.

I am beyond annoyed that Stanford took out my Cal State Fullerton Titans though.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2008 @ 5:22 AM

The same LSU outfielder, Leon Landry, got injured last night. I was watching the game and he tried to make another spectacular catch but the ball ricocheted off the wall and smacked him right in the eye. Poor kid, he was down on the ground for quite a while and ended up with a huge welt under his eye and the eye itself was already swelling shut. I hope he's okay.

neglander

neglander

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2008 @ 9:52 PM

Not a good night for the Florida:

Stanford 16
Florida State 5

Georgia 7
Miami 4

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

In watching the CWS on ESPN does anyone else get the feeling that Barry Larkin and Sean McDonough don't exactly get along? I don't recall which game it was (Tuesday night, perhaps) but they seemed like they were snipping at each other quite a lot and not in a playful manner.

neglander

neglander

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2009 @ 7:58 PM

So far the 2009 College World Series has had some pretty good games unfortunately my Tar Heels was on the losing end to one of those games. They got the work cut out for them now.

Mischievious

Mischievious

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2009 @ 11:05 PM

On Sunday during the Texas game, when they signed off, they sent best wishes or something to Sean McDonough. Wasn't he supposed to be announcing that game? I wonder what happened.

Wow! Southern Miss. Talk about a cinderella story. I'm sad that the Titans went 0-2. I grew up cheering for them in Omaha. Next year though.

The Arizona State - North Carolina game was great to watch. What a pitching duel. I feel bad for the NC outfielder that dropped the fly ball.