• Please log in to reply

7960 replies to this topic

Prothall

Prothall

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2014 @ 9:02 PM

Yes, it was nearly cancelled.

But it wasn't. 

I'm just saying I wish there was a little more variety in the companions, than just "Oh look - another couple!" 

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:24 AM

But...there's only been one set of companions that were a couple in the last 50 years. Ben and Polly, Ian and Barbara, Jamie and Victoria - fandom may have believed they could become couples, but it was never stated on screen, until Amy and Rory.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 8:46 AM

So far for Series 8, the writers are (from DWM) ....

8x01/8x04 - Steven Moffat

8x02 - Phil Ford

8x05 - Stephen Thompson

8x03 and 8x06 have yet to be filmed.

AngelAngst

AngelAngst

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 3:51 PM

I'll wait for how it plays out but  my gut reaction to hearing more companions hook up is to be annoyed. I rather think it could be cute in some ways, however, it is Moffatt who will helm the relationship so... Also Moffatt has this weird need to have couples and romantic relationships be a staple in his programming, like he can't get away from it and it bugs me for some reason.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2014 @ 2:07 AM

It amuses me. Some people complain that Moffat focuses too much on plotting, and not on the characters and their relationships. And then he puts a relationship between two characters front and centre, as he did with Amy and Rory, and people complain about that as well.

Sometimes I think if Moffat parted the Red Sea, people would complain the ground was wet.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2014 @ 7:40 AM

I do somewhat agree here, HauntedBathroom.

The thing is, even if Danny does end up with Clara, it doesn't mean it's the only storyline he'll have right?

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 3:18 PM

It amuses me. Some people complain that Moffat focuses too much on plotting, and not on the characters and their relationships. And then he puts a relationship between two characters front and centre, as he did with Amy and Rory, and people complain about that as well.

Sometimes I think if Moffat parted the Red Sea, people would complain the ground was wet.

I certainly had no problem with putting the Amy and Rory relationship front and center.  But I don't think that that is really the issue.  To my mind, the problem both on terms of plotting and in terms of the relationships is that Moffat doesn't really have a good feel for the organic growth of either.  The plotting is a problem because it too often seems as if he simply throws as many things in the air as he can and then tries to explain them away in order to prove how clever he is (which doesn't always work and leads to a lot of retconning). 

With the relationships they seem forced--the classic example was the whole "because Amy can't have a baby, she wants to drive Rory away, who wouldn't want that, and after separating and struggling for months it is fixed in a matter of moments" plot line.  I like Clara a lot.  But I can certainly see how a lot of people would think that she was being forced into a role as a special snowflake without any development etc.

I actually think that the greater emotionality of the modern series is an effect of a different moment in time in which popular culture is much more tied to the monitoring of emotions, but I don't think that Moffat knows how to do it all that well to be honest.  I think he is most effective when the emotion is horror (Blink, or the God Complex) but that doesn't a show runner make.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2014 @ 7:12 AM

Keeley Hawes will be playing Ms Delphox in episode 5 of Series 8 ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk...r-in-Doctor-Who

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

I don't see why people are writing the character off already. So what if he ends up being Clara's boyfriend? Why is that such an issue for some fans? As long as Danny's an interesting character who can hold his own like Rory was able to, it doesn't matter one bit if him and Clara get involved romantically with each other.

I agree.  I grew to love having Rory in the Tardis because I enjoyed the different dynamics he brought to the mix.  It was nice to have someone along who didn't necessarily think the Doctor walks on water but who was still a good and loyal friend.  I have no idea what this new guy will do or how he might shake things up, but I'm willing to give him the chance to show me.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 7:54 AM

Mark Gatiss is writing two episodes for Series 8 according to posters on Gallifreybase.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 7:17 AM

Tom Riley to appear in episode 3, written by Mark Gatiss ....

http://www.digitalsp...ed-episode.html

Gareth Roberts to write episode 6, with some cast details ....

http://www.cultbox.c...ed-for-series-8