SPOILERS (with speculation): "Doesn't It Just Burn?"

• Please log in to reply

7960 replies to this topic

PollyQ

PollyQ

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 2:56 PM

Well! Big news today, indeed!

My guess is that TBTB do not kill off Rose, but give her something really cool to move on to, and leave open the possibility of future visits.

I've heard that Cap'n Jack will be returning in S3, but will he be the only companion? K-9? I think it's a pretty good bet that Mickey will be back at some point, but I would guess just for an episode or two. I liked most of the cast of Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, so if they wanted to bring any of them back as companions, I think that would be nifty.

Queenrikki

Queenrikki

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 3:01 PM

I'll probably stop being irritated by this soon. The thing that bothers me most about her leaving is the timing of it all. So close to the finale. Well, that and all of the denials that have been going around about it. Actually, now that I think about it, it's the last part that's bothering me most.

I also wanted to add that I'm hoping that they don't kill her off. I always hate when that happens on a show just because the actor's leaving.

Edited by Queenrikki, Jun 15, 2006 @ 3:04 PM.

Aprelia

Aprelia

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 3:14 PM

Presumably they will need to start filming series 3 soon -- isn't the schedule something like filiming summer-fall and airing spring-summer? If so, have there been any rumors in the UK re: new castings for a companion? I haven't heard anything, but being on this side of the pond, I didn't hear the BP rumors either.

Maybe Rose could actually "regenerate," too. Maybe she gets sucked into another version of What Not to Wear and comes out looking like Kylie or someone.

On the other hand, I think I could handle a few Doctor and just Jack episodes.

Edyn04

Edyn04

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 3:19 PM

Well, that and all of the denials that have been going around about it. Actually, now that I think about it, it's the last part that's bothering me most.

Same here. Before the season even started, we had reports saying that both Tennant and Piper had signed on for S3, and IIRC, there were no reports issued to refute that. Now, a few days after we get the huge "Rose is going to die in battle" anvil from "TSP," we get eleventy million articles saying that Piper is leaving and that Rose could very well end the series dead.

More and more, I'm wishing that the BBC had just admitted that she was leaving before the beginning of the season, because then I would have had time to prepare for it and enjoy the episodes we got. Instead, I wrote off any character inconsistencies and whatnot as just season missteps, fully believing that Billie would be around for S3, and that I could just shrug off the bad eps because there was at least another season to look forward to. Now they just seem like a waste of Billie's time and talent for her final season.

So... spec. I hate to say this, but I'm hoping that Torchwood gets canceled and that John Barrowman comes back to Who full-time. I honestly believe that the only way I could handle Rose dying, or even just leaving or getting stuck somewhere or however it's going to be played, is if the Doctor has Jack to remind him of all the good times they all had and, because of that, Rose lives on.

But in any case, as others have said, I'm just really gutted about this.

Edited by Edyn04, Jun 15, 2006 @ 3:22 PM.

Scheherezade

Scheherezade

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 3:47 PM

If The Sun is correct (it sadly happens on occasion) and a new companion has already been cast then what's the betting that it's someone from RTD's 'company' of actors? I mean there hasn't been a hint of a new regular being cast before now which takes some doing. It has to have been a very closed casting - like one person was asked and accepted and was sworn to secrecy (like DT was last year in fact). If that is the case then it's almost got to be someone they didn't need to audition because they already knew what they can do. Who of RTD's regulars hasn't already turned up in DW?

CyberIstari

CyberIstari

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 3:51 PM

I hate to say this, but I'm hoping that Torchwood gets canceled and that John Barrowman comes back to Who full-time

I was thinking about something very like this in the car just now, prompted by the LostRose spec. Maybe the first (only? we'll see) series of Torchwood is, relatively speaking, parallel to S.2 of Who. Since I *think* I saw that JB is scheduled for the beginning of S.3, Jack would be there post-Whatever. Which would still work even if they don't go for the LostRose scenario, I think. Personally, not that anyone can keep secrets at all whatsoever, I'm still holding out for a last-second appearance by Jack at the end of "Doomsday", even if it's a la David Tennant's acting-to-a-Post-It-note at the end of Parting of the Ways.

(And I have to say I'm relieved someone pointed out the Extrapolator still being on the Gamestation - it's lessened my feeling that we're going to have, er, torqued-off Jack to deal with. Angsty, maybe. And I'll take the rest of that thought over to the Companions board. ;))

Aprelia

Aprelia

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 4:01 PM

Who of RTD's regulars hasn't already turned up in DW?

I'm sorry, but if Lesley Sharp shows up, I just might have to check out. For some reason that woman grates.

Scheherezade

Scheherezade

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 4:01 PM

Maybe the first (only? we'll see) series of Torchwood is, relatively speaking, parallel to S.2 of Who.

Nope. Starts after the events of the S2 finale.

CyberIstari

CyberIstari

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 4:07 PM

Okay, thanks, hadn't heard. Obviously it airs after S.2, but timeline... ::shrugs:: We *are* talking about a Time Lord here. ;)

para

para

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 4:53 PM

Who of RTD's regulars hasn't already turned up in DW?

What about the Casanova love interests: Rose Byrne, Laura Fraser and Nina Sosanya?

I had to look up those names and IMDb says Byrne and Fraser have a few projects in production. Sosanya's last credit, however is Fear Her.

It isn't the finale, but it if Sosanya's character survives the episode and is written right, she could easily be picked up in the Christmas episode.

TartanTart

TartanTart

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 5:04 PM

Now that would be very weird. I'd be spending at least the first half of the season thinking they were Casanova and Bellino and be expecting them to put on punk 18th century outfts and boff like bunnies. I do like her, but no.

Scottish Vixen

Scottish Vixen

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 5:05 PM

It won't be Laura Fraser. She's just had a baby girl in the last couple of months (my mum works with her mum - says the kid is gorgeous) and she wants to be a stay-at-home mum for the next wee while.

ETA: Laura and David also worked together on the BBC's production of He Knew He Was Right, though they didn't have any scenes together.

Edited by Scottish Vixen, Jun 15, 2006 @ 5:08 PM.

gallimaufry

gallimaufry

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 6:42 PM

Who starts filming in July and ends in March, roughly 9 months -- but that includes the Christmas Special, Children in Need, the TARDISodes etc. Spooks films 10x60 minutes in 7 months. So if Torchwood starts in May then the odds are that it will finish filming about 4 months into Who's filming schedule. That's plenty of time for a good 6 or 7 Who episodes.

But I think RTD wants to keep broadly to the one-to-one dynamic so I wouldn't expect much more.

Regarding the new Rose, I hear the usual rumours about Michelle Ryan batted around (and it's not entirely inconsistent with the end of a recent interview of hers: http://www.gm.tv/ind...=streamingpopup -- from around the same time of year Tennant was cast last year.).

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 6:46 PM

Oh, please god NO. I mean, I know I wasn't wild about the idea of Billie and it turned out I was way wrong, but I've seen Michelle Ryan try to act and it was bloody painful.

gallimaufry

gallimaufry

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 6:56 PM

I never watched Eastenders, but they make about a million of them a year so I don't suppose it's condusive to good acting. Given that she was doing it all in a very different accent and as a teenager, I don't have a problem giving her the benefit of the doubt.

PollyQ

PollyQ

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 9:30 PM

This isn't speculation so much as wishful thinking, but what about bringing back Mrs. Moore (from Cyberman/Age of Steel) as the new companion? She's dead there, but she could well be alive in our universe.

Long-time Whovians, has there ever been a time when the Doctor didn't have young, nubile companion?

Demetrios

Demetrios

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 10:24 PM

Long-time Whovians, has there ever been a time when the Doctor didn't have young, nubile companion?

He was only without a companion for one story, The Deadly Assassin. He only had a male companion in The Massacre - whether Steven Tyler could be considered "nubile" is a matter for personal opinion, of course!

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 5:12 AM

Well I think for the sake of shippers everywhere that although the casting of a companion should be good looking they should not obviously be a Roseclone. Because. That. Would. Suck.
I want maybe three good looking shirtless blokes running around being macho and boofy and I hold out high hopes what with RTD being Big Gay Whovian.
Seriously though I think a slightly older female companion would rock. Especially if it took the suggested arc of In Search of Rose.
I'll go back to sulking about being spoiled now.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 5:14 AM

Seriously though I think a slightly older female companion would rock.

My boyfriend suggested Jackie!

If RTD does go for someone from his unofficial rep company of actors, I'd love to see Jessica Stevenson (who was in RTD's Bob & Rose).

RangerGirl

RangerGirl

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 7:07 AM

Maybe the first (only? we'll see) series of Torchwood is, relatively speaking, parallel to S.2 of Who.

Do we know this for certain? I know that Yvonne Hartman is running Torchwood in the S2 finale in a more evil capacity, and that Jack is going to replace her. But given how relative time is in this show, couldn't it be the case that the finale takes place in a previous timeframe (so the events of Doomsday actually occur before the events of series 1 Torchwood) and therefore Jack's time at Torchwood would be, relatively speaking, parallel to series 2 of Who?

I'm only questioning this because JB gave an interview recently in which he said this: "We are an organization that fights alien crime, and tries to figure out alien happenings on earth. A lot of the things that have happened with Doctor Who [in the second series, currently showing on UK television], the Torchwood team have been responsible for fixing or annihilating after the Doctor does his bit."

So that sounds as though Torchwood, with Jack there, have been responsible for cleaning up after the Doctor throughout a lot of series 2. Which would mean either that the two shows must be running in parallel, or that Jack has already been working for Torchwood for several months prior to the beginning of series 1 TW (which doesn't really make sense for a new show IMO). Urg, I have no idea. My brain is aching. Just hope that TPTB know what they're doing.

LeFae

LeFae

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 8:50 AM

Hurl in the Fireplace

*Falls over, silently dying*

I've read Freema Agyeman's name in conjunction with the role of a companion on Ananova, but they're still touting Michelle Ryan (who: oh, hell no! I don't watch Deadenders but even the trailers that included her left me wanting to stab my own eyes out) as a possibility as well.

I'm still just hoping like mad that she really is coming back and this isn't a permanent farewell. But I bet it is :-(

Edited by LeFae, Jun 16, 2006 @ 8:53 AM.

PollyQ

PollyQ

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 9:38 AM

My boyfriend suggested Jackie!

OK, this is just... no, just no. I've grown rather fond of Jackie, but having her around all the time? Oy vey.

Maxie3987

Maxie3987

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 9:39 AM

I don't know if I would put much faith in the report from ananova given this inaccuracy:

She's Freema Agyeman, 26, and is currently filming the BBC's new drama Ruby In The Smoke, in which she plays a Victorian sleuth.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's Billie Piper who is filming Ruby in the Smoke just now.

Plus:

"Don't forget, no one knew Billie could act before we gave her the job and she's proved to be a sensation."

Bella and the boys, anyone? I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say no-one knew she could act.

That sound? Me grasping at straws. :-)

Rictus

Rictus

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 11:35 AM

This is tough news to take - I didn't watch the new series because of pent-up resentment at the very idea of BP (because I am that much of a close minded music nazi) and she has been so much of a revelation, it's a little scary that I'm now struggling to imagine the show without her. Good god, get a grip man!

My vote? Bring back Sarah Jane Smith - she ruled in School Reunion (if you're me) and has a connection to the past, a good emotional connection with The Doctor ... because otherwise, it's going to be starting from scratch, and that just seems ... difficult. Mind you, we don't know how Rose leaves yet (and count me as one who says they don't kill her off - it may be unpleasant, but I doubt it'll be fatal).

All that said, Jack will be back in S3, I'm fairly sure (didn't JB or RTD say as much in an interview?) so I guess there will be some continuity, 'ship wise. I just really hope they don't try to replace her. She's managed to become irreplaceable to me, so let's just have the Doc live with the loss. Better drama, and truer story, IMO.

denara

denara

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 12:14 PM

*small voice* I've loved Rose as a compainion, but I'm glad she isn't coming back. *small voice*

The whole is she/ isn't she thing is just designed to help build more tension in the S2 finale. To make sure we know Rose isn't safe, and she's got to go somehow... the "coming ack in a different form" they were saying before guaranteed it. Will build suspense without having to bother writing it all in. Maybe the episode isn't quite as suspenseful as they'd like in that area, which is why they added that anvil of a "die in battle" comment and all this additional press drama?

Looking forward to finally learning the new companion (I'm rooting for Freema Agyeman so far). When Rose is gone, I want her to stay gone. And not to be mean, but I hope she does die in battle... I just can't see her willingly leaving the Doctor (esp after the fuss she made in The Satan Pit). Give the new companion a chance to develop herself as a character without the ex dropping in for some stupid reason randomly.

Another thought... Rose making multiple guest appearances would imply multiple episodes in one time frame on one planet (whether or not she ends up on Earth) and I'm hoping for more variety out of S3...

denara

denara

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 12:17 PM

double post, sorry

Edited by denara, Jun 16, 2006 @ 12:16 PM.

scair

scair

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 12:45 PM

Add me to the chorus who hopes they pick someone very different from Rose for the next long-term companion. And not because I don't like Rose, because I do and am very upset that she's leaving. I want to like the new guy and so I don't want to feel that Rose is essentially replaceable and they're just snapping the new, young female companion into place. I vote for Captain Jack or Captain Zack or Ida.

Scheherezade

Scheherezade

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 1:06 PM

Just realised - in the 3 minute compilation of clips the BBC were showing on BBCi before S2 started, the girl about 3mins 10 secs in who says "Sorry, I'm just looking for my friend. Did anyone come down here?" before seemingly being surrounded by Cybermen, is Freema Agyeman. The funny thing is I remember the first few times I watched wondering who the hell she was because she was so familiar, still can't work out why.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 1:12 PM

I don't see them hiring someone unknown like this Freema Agyeman, because it's now such a high profile show for the BBC that I think they're going to want someone tabloid-friendly (of course, she could become that, but someone already known would be a safer bet). One paper today suggests the blonde girly from S Club 7 (Hannah?) which would seem just TOO close to Billie and therefore a boring choice, but I have a feeling she was auditioned for Torchwood, she's got acting experience from the S Club show (which was quite amusing in its way, though it didn't really require much actual acting) and is already a 'name'.

Scheherezade

Scheherezade

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 1:16 PM

I don't see them hiring someone unknown like this Freema Agyeman, because it's now such a high profile show for the BBC that I think they're going to want someone tabloid-friendly

I think it's likely to be what RTD wants that's important - I doubt the BBC are going to force their choices on him given that he's gold to them at the moment - and I can't see him choosing for publicity reasons. Also, the minute someone is chosen, she/he becomes tabloid-friendly by default, Doctor Who doesn't need stars - it makes them.

Edited by Scheherezade, Jun 16, 2006 @ 1:32 PM.