Big Brother in the Media: Outside the Hamster Cage

• Please log in to reply

4612 replies to this topic

Nich337

Nich337

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 10:16 AM

BB might not generate the high level of media buzz as other shows, there's enough to keep us rabid fans interested.

VAHokies posted this in the Speculation thread. Personally, I think the new house looks great. I prefer when the rooms have a strong theme or character, and I definitely got that impression from this article.

ElectraGlide

ElectraGlide

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 10:33 AM

VAHokies posted this in the Speculation thread.

I really like the colors they used. The red couches are great, and I love the dark living room walls and kitchen cabinets. I'm not so sure about the BB museum. Hardy's toothbrush in a display case? Maybe Howie's light saber? The possibilities are endless...

ETA Link moved to Schedule thread.

Edited by ElectraGlide, Jun 15, 2006 @ 11:02 AM.

VAHokies

VAHokies

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 10:39 AM

Interesting that they moved the show to Sunday. I'm pretty sure the move is meant to help "The Amazing Race" (which moves to the exact spot this fall), but I'm not arguing. I never understood why the show was on Saturday. Few watch TV then, and even fewer watch during the summer.

VAHokies

VAHokies

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 11:40 PM

This is pretty cool.

CBS News Interns to help with Candidates' Campaign

Interns at CBS News in New York City were recently given the task of "forming a pep rally to support/campaign for America to support [a specific] contestant on 'The Early Show,' " according to an intern.

Seth Tober, a CBS News intern in New York, contacted BigBrotherLink Friday morning, asking for volunteers for his specific group. Tober said he is a member of the Yellow Team on Wednesday, June 28, 2006, which is the final day for America to vote on which of the candidates will enter the Big Brother house.

"CBS News interns are participating in a Big Brother Promotion, an exciting event on the Plaza in NYC as four of the all star candidates per day will be featured as a part of their campaign to win a seat in the house," Tober said. "For the interns, this is a competition to gather the largest crowd possible for each team to represent their separate Big Brother: All Stars contestant."

Jokers interview w/BB producers.

Were you turned down by any houseguests who you had hoped would return?
JP: I wasn’t around for the casting process this year, but was thrilled when I arrived to discover the caliber of players who were in the top 20…even some people I never thought would ever agree to another summer of Big Brother hardships.

That makes me happy.

Edited by VAHokies, Jun 16, 2006 @ 11:40 PM.

jellyeggs

jellyeggs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2006 @ 3:53 PM

Oh who ever could they be referring to? I`m guessing those who they thought would never deal with the "hardships" again but are is a reference to Marci, Erika, Diane, Alison, Will (would they even do this without him?), Roddy & maybe Dani? Even though the show`s cheap (thinking of upping the ante to a $1 million this year but having second thoughts, lol). Maybe the money they would`ve spent on the prize is going into the new & improved "games department" of BB to better the challenges this season? :-)

Nich337

Nich337

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 10:18 AM

Hoping that one of the people who would never agree to another summer of "hardships" (in a house in southern California with a pool...) is Nakomis. I think she's tried to distance herself from BB, and I'd like to see her again.

Yesterday's New York Daily News has an article about All-Stars. Not earth-shattering, but they do talk to Allison Grodner:

Grodner wouldn’t disclose which of the past candidates made the cut for the new edition, but she did say some of the 20 All-Stars are from the New York area. Producers started with a list of 40 names, Grodner said.
She did say that producers were not interested in putting back into the house people who broke the rules the first time around or may have been ejected…To that end, Grodner said each of the players had to go through new background checks as if they were new contestants. “We want to make sure our houseguests are completely safe,” she said.
Grodner promises alterations in the house—and how the game is played. “There are changes in terms of the challenges, in terms of how hard it is to live in this house,” she said. “this is not your mama’s ‘Big Brother.’ It’s going to have more edge than it has in the past.”

As for New York contestants, the first person I can think of is BB2's Monica. I'm sure there have been others, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

And maybe the changes in difficulty of house life will include something like Big Brother UK's 3rd season, when the house was split done the middle into rich & poor sides? I liked that, and it would be in keeping with the good vs. evil theme.

Katie M

Katie M

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 12:27 PM

Cool article, thanks Nich. As if I wasn't already antipating BB:AS... the part about: “There are changes in terms of the challenges, in terms of how hard it is to live in this house,” she said. “this is not your mama’s ‘Big Brother.’ It’s going to have more edge than it has in the past.” -- that intrigues me. Can't wait. I might even cave and get the feeds.

jellyeggs

jellyeggs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 2:35 PM

This may (more likely) or may not mean much, but Kaysar, Howie, Marcellas & Lisa have been scheduled to do chats over the next week beginning on Thursday night with Marci at 10ET/7PT. Lisa`s another hamster I thought wouldn`t be seeking the spotlight again.

HellfireClubGuy

HellfireClubGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 4:58 PM

About some constestants being from the NY area, let's not forget Chiara from BB3 and I would love to see her again. For some reason I think Janelle and her might get along quite well....

Edited by HellfireClubGuy, Jun 20, 2006 @ 7:01 PM.

Nich337

Nich337

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 6:11 PM

Ahh, that's right, Chiara. And Dana, now that I think of it.

Edited to fix weird double post within a post

Edited by Nich337, Jun 20, 2006 @ 6:11 PM.

Hey Im Jeff

Hey Im Jeff

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 6:36 PM

Jun and Jee were also from New York.

Katie M

Katie M

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 7:31 PM

NYers: Chiara, Josh, Monica, Jee, Jun, Dana... that's all, I believe. I doubt they'd bring back someone like Jee. I'm surprised they'd invite Dana back... was no one else from her season willing? Her season really sucked though so she's actually one of the better choices. I wish Chiara would come back out of the NYers group, because she was the hottest one. Heh. And Monica, she just rules.

keram

keram

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 11:52 AM

Looks like one of the former houseguests has jumped the gun. He/She has created a web site that reveals two of the candidates.

This could be considered spoilery, so check it out at your own risk.

Katie M

Katie M

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 12:11 PM

Wow, lord have mercy. Do not let Boogie on the show. Tooly McToolpants.

edit: "Hee!" at what Miss Alli said below me. Seriously now.

Edited by Katie M, Jun 21, 2006 @ 1:33 PM.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 1:00 PM

The fact that there is still a dude out there at his age who refers to his group of friends as "Chill Town" depresses me beyond belief.

jellyeggs

jellyeggs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 3:06 PM

To add to the current BB-Mania sweeping the country today (well, just places like this), TBS is (i`m sure just coincidentally) rerunning the BB-themed episode of "Yes, Dear" today at 4:30 ET.

Edited by jellyeggs, Jun 21, 2006 @ 3:08 PM.

Nich337

Nich337

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 3:08 PM

Marc Berman mentions BB in his Mr. Television column in the June 19 MediaWeek. You need to register to read it online, I'm not sure if it's free...my job entails going through a bunch of papers & magazines, so I have the print copy in front of me.

Anyway. Most of the column is about America's Got Talent, but at the end, Berman talks about BB and complains that a gimmick like All-Stars is a sign of shark-jumping. One thing that jumped out at me:

you had better get use to the likes of Marcellas Reynolds, Jun Song, Alison Irwin, Kaysar Ridha, Howie Gordon and the biggest liar in the history of reality television, Will Keller, from season two.

Emphasis mine to highlight a really pathetic lack of fact-checking.

ETA: Oh, for fuck's sake, I am a total fool. The Marcellas one was my typo. Fixed now.

Edited by Nich337, Jun 21, 2006 @ 3:22 PM.

Hey Im Jeff

Hey Im Jeff

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 3:15 PM

Hah. And it's Marcellas Reynolds.

swsa

swsa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 3:16 PM

Not to mention...

Marcellas Jeynolds

And really, is BB capable of jumping the shark? Doesn't shark jumping entail having some semblence of credibility and worthiness in the first place? Dude, it's a trashy reality show that's consistently changed it's rules and messed with its format since S1. I really doubt we're suddenly going to see its non-existent quality plunge.

*said as a fan of the show*

Hey Im Jeff

Hey Im Jeff

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 3:19 PM

And really, is BB capable of jumping the shark? Doesn't shark jumping entail having some semblence of credibility and worthiness in the first place?

Good point. Besides, the show is only as good as the cast, IMO. So if it sucks one year, it's entirely possible for it to be great the next.

SK03

SK03

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 4:13 PM

The "Yes, Dear" episode with former BB contestants (Jun, Justin? Will? Alison? and others) be will on TBS at 4:30 Pacific. How appropriate.

(Sorry, East Coasters, I just saw the reminder at Joker's.)

ETA. Sorry, Jellyeggs had it covered.

Edited by SK03, Jun 21, 2006 @ 4:35 PM.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 4:21 PM

Oh, Marcellas. Hee hee.

annex

annex

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 11:37 AM

CBS has posted the hamster's personal appearance schedule.

Since they are "campaigning" until the 28th, will that be when voting ends? Or a few days later? Seems like Will drew the short stick, getting the last Early Show appearance.

God save us from Chicken George "hitting the streets in his chicken costume".

Nich337

Nich337

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 12:18 PM

Yeah, JC said that voting ends June 28. And I don't think Will needs any help campaigning. I think he was a lock for the vote from the moment they announced All-Stars, and if not, the producers wouldn't let the house be Will-less.

jellyeggs

jellyeggs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 1:42 PM

I`m pretty certain that you should keep an ear to FM radio morning shows as well to hear hamsters pitching themselves. "Where were the BB fans last night?" asks Mediaweek`s Marc Berman

On CBS, the one-hour Big Brother 7: All-Stars special, which revealed the 20 nominated former contestants vying for a spot to return this summer, disappointed with a 4.0/7 in the overnights (#3 in the time slot), 6.13 million viewers (#3), and a 2.2/7 among adults 18-49 (tied for #2) at 8 p.m.

Maybe people`re just waiting for the action to begin to really invest themselves? BTW, he really doesn`t want to hear Dana or Ivette`s voices again this summer & is pulling for Janelle, Will & Howie, if that means anything.

Edited by jellyeggs, Jun 22, 2006 @ 1:46 PM.

swsa

swsa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 2:05 PM

I was just amused that he listed Cowboy as one of the obvious picks because he's an audience favorite. I just refuse to believe that could possibly be true.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 2:55 PM

Zap2it has a poll on their front page about who should be let back in the house. (I'd copy and paste it but it's a javascript pop-up.) It's pretty interesting so far. Jase, Lisa and Alison have a lot more votes than I thought, and it looks like the whole damn country is voting for Janelle.

swsa

swsa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 4:22 PM

Okay, who are all these people voting for Chicken George? Right now he's beating Monica, Nakomis, Danielle, and he's tied with Marcellus. The hell?

Oh, and the poll is here for anyone having trouble finding it. Just go to the middle of the article to find the poll link.

VAHokies

VAHokies

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 6:54 PM

Over 2.4 Million Votes Cast For "Big Brother: All-Stars" Within 18 Hours of the Polls Opening

As of Thursday, June 22 at 12:00 PM/PT, within only 18 hours of the polls opening, America cast over 2.4 million votes for which former Big Brother Houseguests they would most like to see compete this summer in BIG BROTHER: ALL-STARS. The polls opened last night at CBS.com at 9:20 PM, ET following the East Coast broadcast of BIG BROTHER: ALL-STARS AMERICA'S VOTE. The polls close on Wednesday, June 28 at 11:59 PM, ET/8:59 PM, PT.

Press Release

MarchingOcelot

MarchingOcelot

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 6:57 PM

I would be very interested for CBS to at some point release the number of individual, independent users who voted one time, rather than just the votes, as I'm sure they have some ability to find repeat users. I'd like to see just how many people have produced the millions of votes.