Live Feed Highlights: Spoilers Only, NO Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

3472 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 6:24 PM

This thread is and always has been for event highlights only. No editorializing or discussion is permitted here. That's what the Live Feeds Discussion thread is for. 

Glark

Glark

Posted Jun 12, 2006 @ 4:32 PM

Here is a place to discuss the highlights of the BB Live Feeds.

Please don't post every little thing that happens, don't go into chat room mode and please don't pound this page with refreshes. Be gentle!

tone

tone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2006 @ 8:02 PM

Will live feed stuff in this thread have to have spoiler tags on them, or is this a look at your own risk thread?

Edited by tone, Jun 12, 2006 @ 8:22 PM.

The Color Pink

The Color Pink

Posted Jun 12, 2006 @ 8:41 PM

If this thread is only for the live feeds, and people will most likely be posting about the current season as it's happening, then the entire thread would be spoiler tagged. It would make sense for it to be "look at your own risk."

For the record, here is my live feed moment of the century so far: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3XhMnuSXBXA Hee.

Glark

Glark

Posted Jun 12, 2006 @ 9:19 PM

Good point, I'll mark this as "at your own risk". :)

MarchingOcelot

MarchingOcelot

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 8:43 AM

A question about this thread:

Will it be just the live feed stuff, or can people jump in and discuss the live feeds? I don't want to assume one or the other, because this thread will probably get huge and unwieldy either way.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 9:08 AM

We're going to have to iron out a whole lot of stuff along those lines. My goal is to have live-feed viewers able to enjoy the forums fully and not feel choked off while recognizing that (1) the site is primarily about television, which doesn't include the live feeds; (2) most people don't watch the live feeds; and (3) people who don't watch the live feeds are divided into (a) people who don't watch them and do want to hear about them and (b) people who don't watch them and don't want to listen to discussions about them. I ideally want the forums to work as well as possible for all those people.

My loose inclination is to do my best to segregate the live-feed talk into just this thread, and ask people to please keep live-feed discussion entirely out of episode and contestant threads, which should be kept (as they are for other shows) to discussion of Big Brother the show, not Big Brother the actual phenomenon of people's entire 24/7 lives over a period of months.

What I am most concerned about is the "Well, if you watched the feeds, you'd agree with me" argument, which crops up every season on the part of a select few feedwatchers who understandably have a tough time interacting with showwatchers without assuming that all disagreement is the result of the difference in information, which it isn't. As long as we don't go in that direction, I'm happy to have you discuss the live feed *highlights*, as long as they remain highlights.

My rule of thumb re: definition of "highlight": If you were putting together a 15-minute highlight reel from the entire day, would the conversation/incident you are discussing be likely to be on it? If so, it's probably a highlight. If not, it's probably not. (And no, in anticipation of the next question, that doesn't mean you get 15 minutes of highlights in addition to what everyone else has already identified as THEIR highlights. Sneaky! Heh.)

We're going to have to just see how it all goes. I'm hopeful that it can be worked out, and the feedwatchers and showwatchers can live in peace and so forth.

Edited by Miss Alli, Jun 13, 2006 @ 9:10 AM.

Arsy80

Arsy80

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 2:03 PM

Miss Alli this is just a suggestion w/r/t the live feed issue, so take it for what it is worth.

Is it possible to have this "Live Feed Highlight" thread that is strictly for information only: "Veto was today. James won. Did not use it" and have a separate thread for discussion: "James was stupid for not using the veto because he could've used it on Sarah and they would both be safe." That way people who just want to get the latest "spoilers" don't have to sift through pages of information and the people who want to discuss the show in the context of the highlights won't be tempted to venture into the regular episode discussion? It creates an extra thread, but that's how they do it on the Gilmore and Veronica boards with spoilers and it seems to work out pretty well in terms of efficiency.

Edited by Arsy80, Jun 13, 2006 @ 2:04 PM.

The Color Pink

The Color Pink

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 2:14 PM

Hope it's okay to butt in here, but my thinking is that if this is strictly for feed info and no discussion, then people would take the liberty of doing minute-by-minute posts where they transcribe entire conversations.

I have no problem with that, but then that would be more than "highlights" and I generally thought TWoP was centered around discussion and conversation. There are a few websites that have areas strictly for feed transcripts like Jokers and Hamster Time. To me, a highlight + discussion-of-highlights makes the most sense.

But on the other hand, the thread would get a lot of discussion daily since feeds are every single day, as opposed to TV shows which are once a week. I don't know what has worked best before. I'll leave this stuff up to our neighborhood mods. Eeek!

Edited by The Color Pink, Jun 13, 2006 @ 2:29 PM.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2006 @ 8:25 AM

Well, candidly, the problem is that nothing worked best before, which is part of the reason the show went to PH. We never got a great handle on how to balance the really different (and in some cases diametrically opposed) forum thinking of people who just want to watch the show and talk about it and people who spend their summer watching the feeds and (understandably) have a hard time segregating everything they're taking in from that and not introducing it into the discussion of the show.

Like I said, we'll do our best.

jegrant

jegrant

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 4:53 AM

The Color Pink, in regards to that clip you posted:

Howie says (something to the effect of)

Gee, I wish we could get this on video.

There are no words.

FWIW, however, I am always in favor of some drunken Janelle. She brings the funny.

SK03

SK03

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2006 @ 3:18 AM

Real.com has its Big Brother live feed purchase page up - www.real.com/bigbrother/ It looks like it will cost $39.99 for the entire season or $14.99 per month. Hamsterlady at TVClubhouse found the discount coupon code worth two bucks off for the month plan and HOPEFULLY ten bucks off the season plan. The code is bb7early Apparently the coupon expires on or prior to July 6.

It might be a couple of weeks early to sign up, but its something to keep in mind.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2006 @ 1:21 AM

Real.com has its Big Brother live feed purchase page up - www.real.com/bigbrother/ It looks like it will cost $39.99 for the entire season or $14.99 per month. Hamsterlady at TVClubhouse found the discount coupon code worth two bucks off for the month plan and HOPEFULLY ten bucks off the season plan. The code is bb7early Apparently the coupon expires on or prior to July 6.

It might be a couple of weeks early to sign up, but its something to keep in mind.

I ended up signing up about three weeks before the finale last season, and I really did enjoy the feeds.

That said, it was such a pain in the ass to have to cancel the subscription. Instead of just allowing you to cancel your subscription on their website, Real forces you to actually call up and deal with one of their representatives. That would be fine, if the representative would just cancel the service when you asked. Instead, they want you to give a reason, they try to lure you into keeping the service...it's just ridiculous.

I'm tempted to sign up this year (it's the All-Star edition, after all) but I don't think I feel like going through the annoyance I did last year.

katesus7

katesus7

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

I remember dealing with that the first time I got the feed - two years ago - and you're right, it was annoying. But I don't remember any hassle last year. Whether it was because I knew what to expect and what to say, or it was just easier, I can't remember. But, really, five minutes of annoyance is not nearly enough for me to not get the feeds. I'm heading off right now to sign up. So that I can annoy everyone here with my insights and opinions!

NightBaron

NightBaron

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2006 @ 11:45 AM

I just got the feeds too. I only had them before for Big Brother 3, and I was hooked on them, but the premise of both Big Brother 4 and Big Brother 5 put me off them. But now that we already know all the houseguests, it sounds like it'll be worth it to check on them at all times! :)

rach el

rach el

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2006 @ 6:06 PM

I might have to buy the feeds for the first time this year. I really should have last year because reading the recaps just wasn't enough for my obsession. But, 39.99 is a pretty hefty sum. If anyone finds out if that code really gives you 10 bucks off, please let me know.

Edited by rach el, Jun 19, 2006 @ 6:07 PM.

NightBaron

NightBaron

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 10:54 AM

I used that code when registering, and I guess I won't find out until my first free 3 days are up, so, July 10th or about.... and that code won't work then. I certainly hope it works...

Katie M

Katie M

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 12:14 PM

Can you cancel your season pass by a certain time and get a refund? I'm considering getting the feeds this year but I won't unless I can get them for $30. And even then, what if I decide to actually have a life this summer? I'd like the option to cancel if I changed my mind right away.

Gildie

Gildie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 8:40 AM

I wonder how quickly YouTube will have "highlights" up. Why get the feeds if YouTube has them up within a day?

Katie M

Katie M

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 8:47 AM

Well, as someone who got a lot of stuff from Jokers last season, you really aren't getting all the best moments. I heard people talk about stuff that I never saw available to download. And, some of those people must have really shitty computers because their videos are either fuzzy or the audio & video are completely out of sink. Plus, the idea of having a TV show 24/7 is sort of cool to me. Oh, and BTW, they didn't post stuff on YouTube, it was always for download.

Halo

Halo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 3:20 AM

I neglected to cancel my RealPass for months after BB5 ended, and when I finally called up to do it, the nice woman at Real told me that I should have asked for the Big Brother only plan, which would have automatically ended when the show was over. I'm considering calling up and asking for that this year if it's still available.

Lovelorn

Lovelorn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 10:44 AM

I got the Real Player Superpass last year. I neglected to cancel and only realized I hadn't a couple months ago. It was so close to BB time I figured I'd just let it ride. Someone _please_ tell me that I don't have to pay any extra money to see BB7 since I've been paying monthly since BB6!

phenolbarbiedol

phenolbarbiedol

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 3:38 PM

I'm definitely getting the feeds again this year. I believe I'm in good company when I say this is great summer crack, and unlike real crack, it only gets better with overuse :)

My advice to anyone else who's addicted like me is to also get the camera reloader - it's only five bucks, but it makes the experience way better. Last year when everyone was complaining about the feeds going down or locking up, I never had that problem. (Gah. I sound like a damn commercial; forgive me, but it really is that much better.)

Thanks to SK03 for posting the coupon code for the feeds!

Edited by phenolbarbiedol, Jun 22, 2006 @ 3:39 PM.

InParentheses

InParentheses

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 4:40 PM

I got the Real Player Superpass last year. I neglected to cancel and only realized I hadn't a couple months ago. It was so close to BB time I figured I'd just let it ride. Someone _please_ tell me that I don't have to pay any extra money to see BB7 since I've been paying monthly since BB6!

I did the exact same thing, and I think we should be ok.

SK03

SK03

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 7:07 AM

Warning. The discount coupon bb7early seems to be a hoax according to a poster at Joker's. Real seems to be charging full price.

For those who purchased BB live feeds expecting a discount, I might consider cancelling - now or within the 3 day trial period of Big Brother and deciding on a different plan or seek the true discount code (if there is one).

I wasn't planning to purchase the BB live feeds until July, so I don't have any personal experience with the situation. I hope it works out for everyone.

Katie M

Katie M

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 7:27 AM

Thanks for telling us SK03, that really sucks. I was planning on using it... $40 seems like a lot. Is it higher than previous seasons?

phenolbarbiedol

phenolbarbiedol

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 10:54 AM

Last year I got a 30-day free SuperPass trial that I told others about, and some of them got the same thing. If memory serves, all I did was mention that on the phone -- I didn't sign up online, as there was no coupon code for that -- and I got it. Someone at HT had mentioned it, and it was a snap to get it. When it ran out, I just got it again with no questions asked. Dunno if they are doing it again this year, but I'm just sayin.

Machiabelly

Machiabelly

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 12:50 PM

This is all weird to me. We have got the feed the last three summers and I have never had to call and cancel. Is it because I am Canadian?
I sign up on line for the 3 month BB package and that's it.

Mischievious

Mischievious

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 12:53 PM

Last year I got a 30-day free SuperPass trial that I told others about, and some of them got the same thing. If memory serves, all I did was mention that on the phone -- I didn't sign up online, as there was no coupon code for that -- and I got it. Someone at HT had mentioned it, and it was a snap to get it. When it ran out, I just got it again with no questions asked. Dunno if they are doing it again this year, but I'm just sayin.

Will the 30-day free SuperPass be an option this summer?

ronin

ronin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 5:41 PM

Sorry to butt in, but I've got a query for the people who have used the feeds in the past.

I haven't used the feeds since season one or two and I'm wondering a few things...

First off, does anyone know if you can use "Real Alternative" to run the feeds? Or do you need the actual official RealPlayer. (I know you'd have to pay either way, just wondering if the non-malware version of Real is usable)

And secondly, does anyone know if you can run the feeds on more then one computer in a house? I've got two pc's using internet connection sharing, so it's the same IP.

I figured I'd ask here first before I tried any forums at Real because this would be the quickest way of connecting with people who have actually used the feeds in the past.

Thanks all!

cvn

cvn

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 8:24 AM

Well, candidly, the problem is that nothing worked best before, which is part of the reason the show went to PH. We never got a great handle on how to balance the really different (and in some cases diametrically opposed) forum thinking of people who just want to watch the show and talk about it and people who spend their summer watching the feeds and (understandably) have a hard time segregating everything they're taking in from that and not introducing it into the discussion of the show.

Like I said, we'll do our best.

Out of curiousity, what made you change your minds and bring the show back? I mean, has something changed so much that the problems that led to a PH aren't so important anymore?