Eureka

• Please log in to reply

4702 replies to this topic

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 10:37 PM

Did the Sheriff retire, so that Jack could have his job?

I thought that's what they were hinting at when he and Jo were walking away at the end.

I hope that we get to see him again because Maury Chaykin is awesome.

I hope so too. Maybe they'll have him appear once in awhile like a Sheriff Emeritus or something. I've really enjoyed his work ever since The Art of War.

Other than the daughter, my only complaint is that the tone of the show seems to abruptly switch from whimsical to creepy, which is a little jarring. It's like, ooh, this is fun, what neat gadgets, what cute little awkward nerds, OMG THAT DUDE'S LEGS ARE GONE!!!

That's what I kind of like about it. It's not a straight comedy but more of a dramedy which comes with characters who problems; dad/daughter conflict, the deputy who has trouble getting a date, etc.

The only thing I don't get is Lowjack. Taggert is after him yet the Sheriff invited him and told him to help himself to the fridge.

Jack Gladney

Jack Gladney

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 10:45 PM

I liked it. Most of the leads seem able to do pretty good comedy, which is a good sign for the show. But from the clips for next week, does it look like they switched out the Peter MacNicol-looking guy in charge of the research facility for another character? It kind of looked like he had some sort of backstory and someplace to go in future episodes, but I guess it's not that uncommon for characters to disappear without comment or materialize inconspicuously in the space between pilot and first episode. And on the subject of this being a pilot, I liked how easily this episode could have been turned into a stand-alone film simply by cutting out the last ten minutes. Not quite a backdoor pilot, but something that could get a speedy resolution if needed.

Also, did the guy running the diner look suspiciously like internet-meme celebrity The Mustard Man to anyone else? I think it was mostly the combination of an apron and the color shirt he was wearing.

Edited by Jack Gladney, Jul 18, 2006 @ 11:06 PM.

RodeoMonkey

RodeoMonkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 10:45 PM

I believe Lowjack will be his own little subplot. Some experiment in boosting animal intelligence gone rogue. Or maybe the sheriff likes mutts.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 11:02 PM

I thought that's what they were hinting at when he and Jo were walking away at the end.

I agree, I think that the sheriff retired. Jack did tell Jo to call Henry.

And on the subject of this being a pilot, I liked how easily this episode could have been turned into a stand-alone film simply by cutting out the last ten minutes. Not quite a backdoor pilot, but something that could get a speedy resolution if needed.

That is nice. It could have easily been a SciFi Original Movie. Of course it's quality was far better than most of the SciFi Original Movies.

I believe Lowjack will be his own little subplot. Some experiment in boosting animal intelligence gone rogue.

That might be it, but Lowjack is the reason that Jack crashed in Eureka. I wonder if they'll make that a plot point.

Edited by jediknight, Jul 18, 2006 @ 11:03 PM.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 11:15 PM

But from the clips for next week, does it look like they switched out the Peter MacNicol-looking guy in charge of the research facility for another character?

It was only for a second but did I see Saul Rubinek in a scene?

I believe Lowjack will be his own little subplot. Some experiment in boosting animal intelligence gone rogue.

That might be it, but Lowjack is the reason that Jack crashed in Eureka. I wonder if they'll make that a plot point.

That would be a good one. Maybe even Taggert (I didn't know Matt Frewer could do an accent like that) and Lowjack have some kind of history pre-Eureka even.

lilserf

lilserf

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 11:24 PM

I'm sure actual physicists would be irked by the gobblydegook mumbo jumbo explanations

I am not a physicist, but as a science geek who's constantly irked by lousy exposition, I have to say nothing in that two hours just grated on me as being blatantly ridiculous. Even the stuff with the tachyons was in line enough with my (admittedly limited) knowledge for me to accept it. Bravo, Andrew Cosby.

The actors help sell it, too -- I'm always gonna be more convinced when folks like Henry and Warren start talking in their own shorthand and half-mumbling to themselves than when some doofus in a lab coat stiffly exposits a bunch of gibberish :)

sef

sef

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 11:46 PM

Yeah, I think the the old sheriff retired -- but he'll show up again. It was implied he had "connections"; Jack doesn't, so when things get tough, he'll show up at the last minute.

I do think they need to get rid of Debrah Farentino; she's been the kiss of death too much.

GoodKnight

GoodKnight

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 12:19 AM

Nailbiter: I'm glad I don't know much about real science, because I'm sure actual physicists would be irked by the gobblydegook mumbo jumbo explanations, but I'm a good little sci-fi fan, in that if you say it with enough conviction, I'll buy it.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way. The science doesn't have to be real, but as long as it's presented in a realistic and consistent way, I'm happy sci-fi camper.

Jo kinda bugged at first; I took to her about as kindly as Jack did. I'm glad to see she warmed up a bit to Felon Spice, making her seem a lot more human and likable.

I want polyhedral bubbles!

Certain non-science parts were a tad predictable: Archimedes' crtical role to plot, the "special" tea made for Walter's wife, the stereotypical "evil" scientist and assistant. But I forgive that a bit, mostly because it helps keep me feeling somewhat intelligent in a town that would make me feel like a dunce. Heh.

Lots of room for subplots. Lots of room for holes too. Looking forward to see how this all plays out.

Koboldin

Koboldin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 1:00 AM

It was only for a second but did I see Saul Rubinek in a scene?

It seems the entire casting pool of Vancouver went in for auditions for Eureka. I stopped counting the Stargate and Battlestar crossovers. I swear I saw not-Nerim, aka Garwin Sanford, in the preview as well.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 1:20 AM

Not bad. Matt Frewer look so very old and the Aussie accent was all wrong. (but a Max Headroom reference will redeem him)

Since they have uber-scientist Joe Morton as the mechanic, all should be well.

Jo and the 'Men In Black' guns are funny.

so freakin' happy for the Galactica preview. I peed my pants...almost!

nikitee

nikitee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 7:00 AM

I'd been looking forward to this show just because of the name: my grandparents lived in Eureka 42, PA, before they passed away...

As campy as it was, I really enjoyed it... the actors really came together as an ensemble cast -- especially those "in the know" in the beginning. The fx were very nice, especially the force field in the bunker lobby, etc.

I have become a Lojack fan after the first viewing, and agree that he's probably been injected with the DNA of Werner Von Braun or something so he's smarter than some of the humans and used to being in charge. I need a T-shirt, seriously. Lojack, cool.

Beverly the Psycho-Sex-threapist kinda freaked me out, tho. I mean, ew, ick. Who'd want to share with Dubbya? Ew!

Edited by nikitee, Jul 19, 2006 @ 7:20 AM.

La Anah

La Anah

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 7:13 AM

I liked the concept, and I thought the writing and the acting were good, but the direction and editing were glacial. I think it was a mistake to make this a 2 hour episode, there just wasn't enough plot to fill all that space. I can tell you the first commercial break was at 14 minutes because I was anxiously awaiting the relief from tedium commercials would bring.

I'll wait until I see a regular length episode before deciding if I truly like it or not.

scarymom

scarymom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 7:52 AM

A little disappointed not to see more posts about this today. Does that mean no one watched it? I thought it was clever and entertaining, but I'm pretty easy to please in the summer when there's so little else on to watch (I like some of the competitive reality shows, but the market is definitely getting saturated -- aren't they running out of snarky British "jedges" yet?). Back to Eureka, some of the plot points were predictable (totally knew she was his daughter from the first conversation between them, but liked their interaction, anyway -- and called it that autistic kid, Kevin?, would play a big part later), but no more predictable than most other shows. Lots of funny little throw-away lines. Loved LoJack -- can't wait for his story. Only thing that bugged was Max Headroom's really bad Aussie? accent. Why couldn't he just talk in his own voice? It's quirky enough for this town.

Withacy

Withacy

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 8:10 AM

Even the stuff with the tachyons was in line enough with my (admittedly limited) knowledge for me to accept it.

Well, I'm not a scientist either, but I've been taken out of more than one tv show/movie by bad science. Or bad history. Or bad science history. (I loved Brisco County, Jr. - but give me a break!).

But I admit my first thought was "Tachyons are real? I thought they were just something Star Trek made up when they wanted to tear through the fabric of time and space."

ShadowMaat

ShadowMaat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 8:20 AM

Watched it. Liked it. Didn't have too many problems with the sciencey stuff, although I mostly only know enough to recognize the terms, not necessarily put 'em into context. *sigh*

The beginning was kinda slow and the transition from the silly "fish out of water" scenario to the legless sheriff was a real "holy crap" moment. Very unexpected.

The "tracking to the point of origin" thing reminded me a bit of that dude from Numbers. Hasn't he done stuff like that, too? And without some uber super program. Pfft. Still, a nifty use of resources.

Cafe Guy reminded me more of Hurley... and I feel like I should know him from somewhere. Anyone know the actor's name? I think I'd like eating at his restaurant. Anything I can think up. Yumm.

Lots of quirky in the show, but I think they were trying t alittle TOO hard to show us just how weird everything is. That's what the rest of the series is for: concentrate on setting up the story and worry about the details later.

I'm hooked. Can't wait to see what goes wrong next!

nikitee

nikitee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 8:23 AM

For those interested in "Archimedes" and why he'd be a resident of Eureka: http://www.wired.com...pergers_pr.html

Tech/math genius (and the focus it requires to be "commercially viable") seems to breed a second generation with far greater occurrence of Autism & Aspergers... very, very interesting! Does Eureka, like Silicon Valley, include specialized treatment centers for children with Autism/Aspergers as part of its healthcare network? Nice real-life tie in!

Edited by nikitee, Jul 19, 2006 @ 11:16 AM.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 9:05 AM

That did strike me as a little odd, that DoD woman acted as if 'Archimedes' was unusual and ostracized for his autism. If there's any place on earth that would be blase about or at least familiar with autistics, it'd be a super-brain enclave, so I don't know why she would automatically assume Jack would have issues with him and treat him badly, unless she's kinda new to Eureka and has baggage from the outside.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 9:12 AM

Lots of quirky in the show, but I think they were trying t alittle TOO hard to show us just how weird everything is. That's what the rest of the series is for: concentrate on setting up the story and worry about the details later.

I'm hooked. Can't wait to see what goes wrong next!

Quirky is a great way to describe it. I reallly thought it was a fun show. Considering it was the premiere, I think they wanted to show as much of Eureka's charm as possible.

lgtg

lgtg

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 9:15 AM

I thought the sheriff retired because he lost the bottom half of his legs, and it kind of made it necessary to get a new sheriff.

I have a question though, was the shrink/B&B woman supposed to have slipped something to Carter when she was talking to him and giving him a drink after he walked in on the conversation of her with the scientist who caused all the problems? I couldn't quite figure out why she would have, other than since we now know she is bad or something, but the way he woke up the next morning in the chair in the living room made it appear she had.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 9:28 AM

I have become a Lojack fan after the first viewing, and agree that he's probably been injected with the DNA of Werner Von Braun or something so he's smarter than some of the humans and used to being in charge.

He could be injected with the DNA of someone who used to be in charge. If Lojack is injected with that DNA, I wouldn't be surprised if the dog knows about the breach in Section 5.

I like how were talking about how a dog could be smarter than the humans. This show rocks, for making us do this.

Lots of quirky in the show,

That's good. It seems like the show won't take itself too seriously. They'll have fun with it.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 9:36 AM

I thought the sheriff retired because he lost the bottom half of his legs, and it kind of made it necessary to get a new sheriff.

That's what I gathered as well, but I suppose it is possible that they have a good quick fix for that sort of problem in Eureka.

Uncow

Uncow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 10:05 AM

Well, it just ate my post about the cafe guy. Here's a link to his IMDB:

Chris Gauthier

Schmuela

Schmuela

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 10:06 AM

I kind of liked it, although I agree with La Anah that the pace was really slow in places. I don't think it needed to be two hours long.

Now, the alsos:

I also got squicked out that Beverly the shrink is supposed to have Dubya as a client. Frankly, if that's the case, she's not doing such a great job.

And I also assumed that Felon Spice was Jack's daughter in the first scene, but then I didn't actually notice the fencing between the front and back seat at first.

And I ALSO was supremely bugged by Frewer's crappy crappy Australian accent. And his mugging into the camera. He was my least favorite character in the show--he was just annoying. And precious, to use Roush's term.

On a different note: Is Zoe's seeing the car with her and her dad in it passing them supposed to be a further symptom of the tachyon accelerator's rips in the fabric of time and physics, or do we think it's symptomatic of something in the town?

I wish TWoP would recap it. I'll definitely be watching it--hey, it's summertime. Greg Germann's in it. Colin Ferguson is entertaining. And it's a damn site better than that piece o' crap "Kyle XY."

Zulfiya

Zulfiya

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 10:07 AM

Only thing that bugged was Max Headroom's really bad Aussie? accent. Why couldn't he just talk in his own voice? It's quirky enough for this town.

When I first heard it, I didn't think Australian, I thought Swedish (or possibly Minnesotan). I think I would have preferred Minnesotan.

Uncow

Uncow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 10:16 AM

[I also got squicked out that Beverly the shrink is supposed to have Dubya as a client. Frankly, if that's the case, she's not doing such a great job.]

Perhaps that was the point.

[/And I ALSO was supremely bugged by Frewer's crappy crappy Australian accent. And his mugging into the camera. He was my least favorite character in the show--he was just annoying. And precious, to use Roush's term.]

All I could think was: aren't there are enough Autralian actors to go around? And why would they want to prompt 8 billion Crocodile Hunter jokes which were old two years ago?

Bedlam

Bedlam

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 10:23 AM

Re: "Archimedes" - I was really unclear on this. I thought that the Sheriff stopped in front of a statue/fountain of Archimedes in the bath (he famously had a scientific insight there, and ran out into the town naked, yelling "Eureka!" (I have found it!)) and the kid was telling him the name of the statue.

But then later, everyone seemed to act as though that was the kid's name. Maybe it's both?

My guess is Lowjack is supersmart, possibly part of an uplift program, genetic stuff or a dog of NIHM :p, and while the lab guys want him back, he's sort of a mascot for the town and old sheriff, who help him stay free.

I like the cafe guy and have seen him in otherthings that I liked, but couldn't stop thinking of him as Not-Hurley.

All in all, I rather enjoyed it, and my wife even enjoyed it enough to join me in watching it. (She's about 50-50 on Sci Fi shows)

Zoe seeing herself wave at her made me expect some time travel to occur, as the other Zoe clearly knew to expect them. Was a little shocked nothing like that happened during the show, and wondering if it will happen during a future episode.

While I kinda chuckled at the initial reveiw I read, comparing this show to Northen Exposure, I can see it a little now. And will definitely be back for the next ep.

dellrio

dellrio

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

Hi
I had been waiting for this show to air. It looked fun and just enough Sci Fi to keep it interesting with out being so Sci Fi that I couldn't get my husband interested.

It did have a few places it dragged but overall it was a good evenings entertainment and I will be back for sure.

The cafe guy so reminded me of James Coco for some reason. He even sounded like him sometimes.

Going to go check out the Eureka web site.

Bliggity

Bliggity

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 10:52 AM

I missed the ending, but what was bothering me was that the lab was super top secret with cloaking and security, but it seemed like anyone could just wander into the town itself, where the residents weren't exactly big on hiding anything. Did I miss something? I'll have to re-watch.

For some reason, it just cracked me up that Zoe called the kid "Einstein" and he calmly replied, "I'm an Oppenheimer." What other scientific progeny inhabit the town?

dellrio

dellrio

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 11:10 AM

I was not bothered by people being able to wander into the town. Most small townships are off the beaten path and not a lot of tourist traffic would be wandering in.

I seem to recall the daughter and the Marshall talking about the fact that he was lost before they had their accident.

Now, if the town was right off the Interstate I would have the same question you do as to people being able to wander in to the town.

nikitee

nikitee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 11:31 AM

But then later, everyone seemed to act as though [Archimedes] was the kid's name. Maybe it's both?

Jack first met the boy (Kevin, I think) in front of the awful statue, and then called him 'Archimedes' later, the same way you'd nickname a kid 'Chilidog' if you first met him and had a good conversation at the A&W. I think the nickname went a long way toward endearing Jack to DoDmom... Here's a kid who doesn't have well-developed social skills or the "social intuition" that would help him make friends, and he has a nickname now -- indicating that he not only talked but actually interacted in a positive way. Good going, Archimedes!

I liked that. I also liked the 'I'm an Oppenhiemer' boy with the book on theoretical physics in his bike basket. :) Just so shout out -- remember the "Men in Black" scene where J doesn't shoot the cardboard monsters (who are working out and sniffling), but shoots little Tiffany between the eyes because she must be up to no good? How true! Love it! Love it!

I just visited the Eureka site on SciFi, and was pretty bummed that the guy from Ally McBeal won't be back for the series... the "non-pilot" director/chief scientist is DoDmom's estranged hubby.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I like the series. It has great potential for fun & conspiracy... Hey, keckler, are you going to recap... uh, please?

Edited because I can't spell 'bacuase' right the first time. :) Anywhere!

Edited by nikitee, Jul 19, 2006 @ 12:45 PM.