Eureka

• Please log in to reply

4702 replies to this topic

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 11:19 AM

I saw the picture he tweeted of the mom and baby.  She looked like she's never been pregnant.  

(That's a compliment.  She looked good for someone who had just given birth).  

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

I received seasons one and two of 'Eureka' on DVD for Christmas, but put off watching them until I could get the rest of the seasons (I delayed because I balked against paying full-season prices for half-seasons and was hoping for a sale somewhere).  My favorite neighborhood big-chain bookstore had a 'buy two get one free' sale on all DVDs and CDs and I splurged, getting the rest of the seasons (5 sets of DVDs and filling in with a Beatles CD).  I wanted to wait until I could have a marathon, but I've started watching them from episode one, watching one whenever I have time to catch one. 

I've really enjoyed them so far (I'm only part-way through season one), because it's been so long since I've seen any of them, it's like watching them new.  I know that pilots are usually a little (or a lot) different from the rest of the show, but 'Eureka' really had some differences, mainly the whole idea of GD being hidden from the rest of the world by that invisible 'fence'.  Did they ever refer to that again?  And, the townspeople seemed like they didn't know anything about GD, but after the pilot, even though most people couldn't just stroll into the complex, they seemed to at least know about it.  Oh, and Fargo looked like he was about fifteen years old!

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 9:36 PM

Anyone see Colin Ferguson's on TV as the new Maytag Man?

Edited by benteen, Mar 4, 2014 @ 9:40 PM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 11:24 PM

I saw a couple ads during the blacklist. It actually made me a little sad. And the CGI is really annoying.

Edited by ThatPoshGirl, Mar 4, 2014 @ 11:25 PM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 11:34 PM

It makes me a little sad too.  But I guess on the plus side, he's got money coming in.  That's always better than no money coming in.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:07 AM

Well he should have a good solid chunk of the next season of Haven (which is twice as long as most Skiffy show seasons) coming up, so that's good.  He seems to be having a blast in the role, too, which makes it more enjoyable for me.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:27 AM

Ah right I forgot he was in that, thanks for mentioning it.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 7:52 AM

It makes me a little sad too. 

Heartbreaking and disturbing for me. But I've got my own PTSD issues. Still, a tiny part of me was hoping he took the job to look like a sad sack on purpose for humor. Or maybe he needed a new washer and dryer and they gave him one as a bonus. I remember way upthread folks suggesting pitch man Mike Roh would be great as his long lost brother on Eureka. It seems oddly fitting now that the show was canceled that the Maytag commercial makes it look like Colin is the abused twin in the closet.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 10:26 AM

Apparently he's been the Maytag Man since at least January.  I saw an article and it's an attempt by the company to move away from the "sad-sack" Maytag Man and cast him as a "manly-man" who can do anything.

http://www.businessw...a-younger-model

http://www.nytimes.c...-busy.html?_r=0

Edited by benteen, Mar 5, 2014 @ 10:31 AM.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2014 @ 10:04 PM

I wasn't able to have a real marathon, but I've been watching all episodes of 'Eureka' in order when I can sit down and catch one or two.  It's so much fun to watch them after a long time and have plots come back to me as I watch.  I've worked my way up to the second half of the fourth season (Season 4.5 on the DVD set label).  I just watched the one with the rocket space race around the moon where the 'new' Deputy Andy shows up.  I don't know the reason why they changed actors for the role, but it was certainly convenient that Andy was a robot so they could 're-skin' him (Jo's words).  I remember liking the first Andy and being apprehensive about the new one coming in, but I liked him fine, too.  He became one of my favorite characters.  Dr. 'Old Spice' is growing on me, too.  I didn't care for his character when I first watched those episodes.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2014 @ 10:34 PM

I just saw the Maytag commercial where he's an oven.  I would not have recognized him if I hadn't read about it here. 

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2014 @ 1:14 PM

Eureka is listed as number 9 of "10 Expensive TV Shows That Ended Too Soon," with number 1 being the most expensive: http://www.theriches...ded-too-soon/2/
It looks like it's one of those websites where the authors pretty much get to make stuff up (there's no information on where the dollar amounts came from, or what shows were included), but it's kind of nice to have a little validation that it wasn't canceled because it was a bad show.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2014 @ 1:58 PM

It wasn't canceled because it was a bad show. It was canceled because it was on a shit network.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2014 @ 2:10 PM

I do think there were some bad creative decisions. They almost saved it with the reset, but then they started making the same mistakes all over again.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2014 @ 3:16 PM

Dedicating the entire final season to Felicia Day was a very poor creative decision.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2014 @ 3:27 PM

They didn't know it was the final season at the time. Eureka was renewed for 2 full seasons and they were operating under that principle. Of course, given the history of being a terrible network, this was short-sighted. I think they featured her too much personally, and I think they weighed far to heavily on Felica Day is playing a Felica Day-like character. Geeky/cute/but neurotic isn't particularly attractive to me. Claudia on WH13 was much more of an interesting relationship with Fargo imo.

But had TPTB had the two full seasons they thought they had, it might have evened out in the long run.

Edited by ganesh, Mar 9, 2014 @ 3:30 PM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2014 @ 10:00 PM

Holly ruined the last season so thoroughly that I have never watched one of her episodes more than once.  Hell, just thinking about her makes me twitchy. I'll never understand how the same people who came up with the concept of Eureka thought it was a good idea to inflict Holly on us. 

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 1:29 AM

I didn't care for Felicia Day's character, but, Allison's (and Zane's) ongoing paranoia and jealousy over Carter and Jo having been together in the bloody computer simulation did a lot more to hurt the final season for me than Holly.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 12:31 AM

Speaking of Felicia Day, her youtube channel has an original super hero series called Caper, produced by Eureka's Amy Berg.

Colin Ferguson guest starred in the most recent episode (Chapter Six) as Captain Southpaw.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 7:30 AM

Eureka is listed as number 9 of "10 Expensive TV Shows That Ended Too Soon," with number 1 being the most expensive: http://www.theriches...ded-too-soon/2/
It looks like it's one of those websites where the authors pretty much get to make stuff up (there's no information on where the dollar amounts came from, or what shows were included), but it's kind of nice to have a little validation that it wasn't canceled because it was a bad show.

Those numbers are correct for Eureka, The Borgias, Rome, and Terra Nova. There were definitely some wrong- headed creative decisions made, but one of the tensions with shows is that the longer they go on the more the cast salaries go up. The ratings have to be high enough to justify the increased costs. Eureka had a large cast with average lot of veteran cast and didn't have the type of ratings to justify the expense. CSI does, but Eureka didn't.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 3:05 PM

That misses the point imo. Obviously, one cannot ignore the cost of a show. However, why renew a show for 2 more seasons, knowing about the cost issues, and then cancel the show while it was filming its season ending cliffhanger? Why not close out the series with seasons of 6+6?

This is literally the same thing the network has been doing since Farscape and SG1. They made boneheaded decisions and then just hide behind, "well it cost too much." Well, no shit.

There's lots of ways to deal with it. Breaking Bad actually doesn't have a lot of episodes, and cost is always a factor with every show, but the network negotiated with TPTBs to come up with a way for the show to end properly. They went with 2 final seasons of 8+8. It's not impossible.

This has been a long running problem with this network beyond just Eureka to the point that I don't think the execs really know how to manage expectations while still delivering creative content and supporting their shows.

Raingirlkm

Raingirlkm

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 7:04 PM

Yeah, I find it crazy that the only sci-fi show I am watching now is on CBS, of all networks! Of course they kind of snuck POI in by presenting it as a procedural. It's only as time has gone by that it's shown its geeky core. 

I did enjoy see Sallie Richardson on Castle last night, even though it made me miss Eureka again.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 5:41 PM

I've made it to season five in watching my DVDs.  All the time I was watching episode after episode, I thought about making a list of the many ways that Carter's Jeep was damaged, destroyed, etc.  Or Jeeps, I guess, since it was obvious in some instances that it couldn't have been repaired.  This morning I found that disc two contained an extra called 'Ode to Carl the Jeep' which was simply clips of the many trials of Carl.  It was set to--I think--Grieg's 'In the hall of the mountain king'.  It was really funny (and now I don't have to make a list.