Eureka

• Please log in to reply

4702 replies to this topic

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

I loved this show simply because its concept is every scientist's wet dream. It was never appointment TV for me until season 4. That time travel story was inspired.

I will miss Colin Ferguson and his impeccable comic timing the most.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Kudos to the many who long predicted that the scene with Jack and Zoe in the first episode would be revealed to be them watching themselves leaving in the other car. Does this mean that they and Eureka are in some sort of time-loop.

No, but it could mean that present Zoe had a lot more time to catch her flight back to Harvard than she may have imagined. For the sake of having the show end on a pleasant note, I'm going to assume that the two incarnations each wound up in their proper timelines afterward.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

So I take it that with Old Spice now paying for Eureka, all the characters are staying except for Fargo who's off with Dr. Holly to parts unknown? Do they get all their equipment back from the DOD or do they have to start from scratch?

Nice call back to the first episode with Jack/Zoe in the car, but the details were a little off (but then it was a different timeline so who knows).

While I did enjoy this season and I am ok with Felicia Day, I can certain see why its a risk to center one's Season 5 around a character that can be polarizing. Its definitely a good warning to other shows heading into their fifth season that chances are, its your last, so plan accordingly with your plot lines (hear it W13 and be prepared Haven). It also would be nice if some of the characters might be able to make a guest appearance on W13 and drop a tidbit about the town.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Oh sadness. I was just going through the scheduled recordings on my DVR and came to Eureka. It was a depressing moment when I had to hit the delete button, something I had not done since I started watching three seasons ago after Netflixing the show.

The only other delete moment that will hurt more will be my deletion of Fringe. I think I will have to work my way up to that final act.

Edited by ChainofFools, Jul 23, 2012 @ 3:40 PM.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Do they get all their equipment back from the DOD or do they have to start from scratch?

I think it'd be in between the two. The DoD has a claim to whatever is part of one of their projects (like Martha), but that's it. GD should be getting more than enough equipment back to operate, but many of the scientists will have to switch to researching deodorant, or some other commercial product, because their DoD project will be gone.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

I'm more convinced than ever that the Honchos at Sci-Fi saw this season and cancelled the show because the show runners had completely lost their minds.

I agree with this. I watched the finale, but I still have the two previous episodes that I haven't watched, and maybe never will. The writers and show runners screwed up a really good show.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

I'm more convinced than ever that the Honchos at Sci-Fi saw this season and cancelled the show because the show runners had completely lost their
minds.

I agree with this. I watched the finale, but I still have the two previous episodes that I haven't watched, and maybe never will. The writers and show runners screwed up a really good show.

I can not bring myself to apply anything but the most banal motives to SyFy. I don't even think they are sinsister, just money-grubbing and completely lacking in originality or vision. I think it was money, plain and simple.

I think its just as likely (or more) that the network pushed FD and the rather tedious last few episodes, instead of cancelling because the Honchos lost faith in the show. Articles, I've read, indicate that its routine for the network to provide notes about scripts. An example, the honchos rejected the mid-season three finale script, TWICE, in the week before shooting started and the writers had to write the episode as they went (so the series finale must have been a cake walk.)

Edited by ParadoxLost, Jul 23, 2012 @ 8:57 PM.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I'm more convinced than ever that the Honchos at Sci-Fi saw this season and cancelled the show because the show runners had completely lost their minds.

This may be true, but even the SGU and Caprica got another season after stinking it up. And those were far more expensive productions.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

GD should be getting more than enough equipment back to operate, but many of the scientists will have to switch to researching deodorant, or some other commercial product, because their DoD project will be gone.

There's also tons of federal grants all over the place that each of the scientists can apply for. And now that they are out from the DoD, they can team up with other labs, universities, etc. Like Alison could probably collaborate with any major university med school.

I can not bring myself to apply anything but the most banal motives to SyFy. I don't even think they are sinsister, just money-grubbing and completely lacking in originality or vision. I think it was money, plain and simple.

I think that was basically it. I mean, they've continually been inept at handling shows. For some reason, the execs this time around seem to have a total revulsion of anything scifi. Last time around, you can say Caprica wasn't that good, but they at least were clinging to their one scifi "brand."

I'm really worried W13 won't get their second half of the most reason 20 episode order.

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 7:56 AM

My understanding with SGU was that the showrunners made a package deal: two seasons of SGU guaranteed in exchange for ending Atlantis. That may just be fanboy urban legend or something, but if true it changes the equation.

Also, there's a difference between giving a show in its first season a second season and giving a show in its fifth season a sixth one. There's reason to hope that with a change in direction/better marketing/etc. a show could still pick up speed in a second season. After five seasons, it's fairly clear: pretty much no chance that the audience will grow or that the writers have their best work in front of them. Also, I would think that contracts would start to get much more expensive after to renew. The returns on giving a show a sixth season most likely will be diminishing, as compared to giving a show a second season.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Also, I would think that contracts would start to get much more expensive after to renew.

In real world if you've been at your job for 5 years you expect to be paid more than when you started (barring gross incompetence), same with TV. It's one of the reasons why Law & Order: Original Recipe was cancelled, after 20 years the license fees and actor's salaries were too high to justify continuing in the face of dropping ratings.

Edited by MrWhyt, Jul 24, 2012 @ 2:03 PM.

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I finally saw the season finale. I liked that the main plot was mainly just like any other Eureka episode, only with the backdrop that the town was being dismantled. And then at the end everything is saved and we can imagine that the town is still there having adventures, only now we don't get to see them.

Also, the main thing I ever wanted from a series finale from this show was the Jack/Zoe drive-by of themselves driving into Eureka from the pilot. So since I got that + the idea that the town is still going on, the finale gets an A+ from me.

DougL

DougL

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

For me it seems that Scyfi is heading to become a syndicated repeat channel a la Deja Vu or all those other networks that just play old shows. Scify will have wrestling and old shows like Jericho, Earth Final Conflict and X-Files, over and over and over.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

They still want to make money, but I'm surprised the network isn't just cheap reality shows and the Saturday night shit movie of the week by now. It's not like they even remotely pretend to be interested in original programming.

Not too long ago, they were doing some ambitious stuff: Lost Room, Dune I an II, Alice, Tin Man, etc. They weren't that great, but there was at least some effort into trying some things.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

For me it seems that Scyfi is heading to become a syndicated repeat channel a la Deja Vu or all those other networks that just play old shows. Scify will have wrestling and old shows like Jericho, Earth Final Conflict and X-Files, over and over and over.

If only they could syndicate great old/current sci-fi shows like X-Files, TNG, SG1, Fringe, Lost etc...non-stop. Every time I turn on the channel, it's always some sort of terrible ghost show. It's annoying.

As someone who hated the entire last season, I was pleasantly surprised by the series finale. Well done. Glad that they were given a chance to end it well.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

I think there are more Sci-Fi shows (new and syndicated reruns of older classics) on BBCAmerica than on Siffy at this point. Maybe if they had moved Global Dynamics to Eureka, England we'd be getting another season.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 6:13 AM

Syfy can't even afford to buy vowels now.

I only watched Eureka sometimes but some of my friends loved this show, even bought some of the tie-in books; they really hated seeing it end. The show reminded me of long ago, when this channel could have some fun, instead of the years where every show had no lights and everyone staring pensively into the angst of their own misery.

dcinmb

dcinmb

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

Salli Richardson-Whitfield guested as a news anchor on last night's ep of The Newsroom.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

Even Starz is working on new scifi iirc.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

I was channel surfing the other day and stopped because there was Kavan Smith in a blue police officer's uniform. Turns out it is a David Arquette movie called "See Spot Run". I didn't watch more than a minute or two, so I'm not sure if Kavan's character was more than the unfortunate "other guy" in the love triangle but they way he was acting reminded me of Evil Andy. Although, I guess he was supposed to be the serious one, but he seemed creepy to me. It seems to make that when he smiles genuinely he is like a whole different character.

In trying to find out what movie it was, I stopped by imdb.com. I never realized just how much sci fi Kavan Smith has been in!

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

He was great in The 4400 and he was pretty good in SG: Atlantis too. What happened to him at the end of The 4400 was a lol if you also watched Atlantis.

BoffleBobbie

BoffleBobbie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Just wanted to post to say a fond farewell to Eureka. It was always entertaining and fun to watch but it had some clever and warm moments as well. They created a world unto itself and it was a pleasure to drop in and see how things were going and what fresh ideas they were pursuing. Nice work, everyone. Especially the finale. That was a nice goodbye. Looking forward to seeing the cast in new roles. Hope they don't all disappear (from US point of view) into Canadian shows we don't get to see.

SYFY has some nice series going, interesting ideas, good niche. Hope they support the shows that keep viewers tuning in (Warehouse 13, Eureka, etc.).

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

I am rewatching Eureka on DVD while home on maternity leave. It is amazing how different the show is in season one. Fargo really evolves as a haracter.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

It is amazing what I had forgotten. The artifact, the first alternate time line, Henry's anger, Zoe's delinquency. I have to buy the remaining seasons.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

See, that's the upside to having a limited number of seasons of a show. I could potentially rewatch the entire series, whereas I doubt I will ever do that with SG1.
Aw, who am I kidding? I will miss the cute little town where science goes awry in fun ways, and Sherriff Carter has an unlimited supply of jeeps to get totaled without leaving a scratch on him.

Edited to correct my iPod Touch

Edited by shapeshifter, Aug 22, 2012 @ 6:50 AM.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

Sherriff Carter has an unlimited supply of jeeps to get totaled without leaving a scratch on him.

Seriously. Is there a count anywhere on how many he went through in four years?

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

Seriously. Is there a count anywhere on how many he went through in four years?

I saw a list with 21 ways, but not sure if its complete or not. Other places say it averages one an episode and that's a pretty big difference.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 5:33 AM

Fargo really evolves as a haracter.

He became what Stark always knew he would. It was obvious Stark was grooming Fargo to take his place, he saw that Fargo could do it. Fargo wasn't that high up in Global Dynamics, yet he was always around Stark, Stark put him against Section Five guys in "Blink", he had Fargo take over the important meeting in the Callister episode, and he let Fargo test the mind mouse on him. It was awesome to see Fargo deliver on that, and prove he should be the head of Global Dynamics.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Stark did see Fargo's potential but it took the alternative universe for Fargo to reach that potential. I am finishing season three right now and Fargo is still a goof. He grew into the role when forced to but I am not sure he gets there on his own. In the alternate time line everyone was forced to accept him as the head of GD. They seemed to hold him in contempt. Once the new Fargo took the job, he brought a different past and history and changed his approach and people's attitude. He was still dorky but a bit more serious.

I am watching Shower the People right now. Computer Kim just died. You could see Henry letting go of his anger and the pain associated with original Kim's death. It was nicely done.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

I rewatched the Christmas episode last night since it aired in place of Haven. I truely miss this show. I had forgotten how funny the cartoon characters were and I still love Jo White and her worry over her birds.