Eureka

• Please log in to reply

4702 replies to this topic

Squirmy McCoy

Squirmy McCoy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

I just thought of something. Wasn't the house originally designed to be a bunker? I guess it could have been re-fitted, but it seemed kind of easy to break into. Even though Jack had to shoot it out, a skylight made of thick glass doesn't seem like too much of a barrier for, say, a bomb or missile.

The skylight and ladder were added after the episode where S.A.R.A.H. trapped Carter, Stark, Allison, Henry, Jo, Fargo, and Beverly in the house to make them get along. She reverted to an earlier program and tried to kill them.

Er, no, wait, Jo and Taggart were outside trying to get them out. That's the beginning of their relationship.

Edited by Squirmy McCoy, May 8, 2012 @ 3:57 PM.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Thanks, Squirmy McCoy! I've forgotten so much about the earlier seasons. I may just have to break down and get the DVDs. (I think Wal-Mart has them pretty cheap.)

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

I thought I was going to be late to the party, but looks like there was no party. :(

Kevin running to the door with Jenna in his arms was the cutest thing I've seen in many tv-years.

Jo rescuing Jenna and giving her to Allie was at least 2 tears worth.
Fargo at the end might've been 3 tears.

About the algorithm that figured Jo and Carter would get together in the absence of Allie and Zane: Maybe they'll discover that the algorithm just figured Jo would take care of Allie's kids, and it added in that the kids were living with Jack, plus what happens when adults live together. That doesn't mean that would actually happen.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

I think Fargo should go back to the bunnies. Now I have to rewatch because someone mentioned something about Henry and time travel that I must have missed.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

Why would they kill SARAH? What would the show/story gain without her?

I presume it's temporary, but potentially... A story line for Andy. Different living arrangements for Jack, Alison, Kevin, and Jo. An excuse for Sarah Michelle Gellar to provide a new voice.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Nothing to see here... Moving along...

Edited by CoderLady, May 8, 2012 @ 6:24 PM.

MyLisa

MyLisa

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

I've watched last week's episode twice now and apparently missed Grace killing alt-Henry both times! Or did she? When she and Allison were talking about it in last night's episode I couldn't remember seeing it happen? I guess I'm going to have to back and watch again...

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Why would they kill SARAH?

My initial thought which I really hope is wrong... a Andy/Fargo/Sarah triangle. SARAH is supposed to be programmed by Fargo and is Fargo's voice made female. I'm thinking that Fargo will rebuild SARAH but program some Holly into her.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

I hope not... he should make his own creepy AI girlfriend, not co-opt Andy's. Henry could give him pointers.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:50 AM

The unlikely friendship of Zane and Fargo (one of the best parts of the reboot) paid off brilliantly when Zane literally offered his shoulder for Fargo to lean/cry on in the Depression phase.

Funny that Fargo and Parrish are starting to bond over a game, because on Felicia Day's Youtube channel, you can watch Wil and Neil play Settlers of Catan (with Eureka writer Jane Espenson).

miracole

miracole

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

Kevin running to the door with Jenna in his arms was the cutest thing I've seen in many tv-years.

All of his scenes with Jenna were adorable. I especially liked when he was teaching her how to crash cars on the video game.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

This was a really good follow up to the VR plot. How great is this show though really? This wasn't the typical standalone episode where things got back to normal. There were repercussions based on what happened to the crew in the VR. I'm so glad this show was renewed for two seasons. I really enjoyed this episode. Nice touch with the atomic net gun coming back into play too.

I did not even occur to me that Jo and Henry weren't told about their evil counterparts. Although I liked that Jo was also weirded out about it.

I thought Zane was being a little too douchey about being pissed at Carter. "What are you, 6?" was a good retort though. It's a fair cheat that they had Zane make the remark about how the processor played out the probabilities about Carter/Jo and with Jo basically dumping Zane and leaving I can get he's pissed. I don't by the projections by the computer about Carter/Jo, but Carter doesn't have the math background to refute it. Clearly, Carter/Jo were together because if they weren't then Zane and Alison would have figured out the VR world immediately, and having them together was enough of a shock to throw them off their game.

I think he was a dick to absolutely refuse to apologize to Carter who had done nothing wrong, and practically died to pull their asses out of the VR. "Give me time" would have been better. But Zane did have a point when telling Jo that it's not fair to flip flop on him all the time either. I prefer Fargo/Jo and loved the finger in his face, but I guess the show is ending with Jo/Zane. At least he has grown up a bit.

I'm thinking that Fargo will rebuild SARAH but program some Holly into her.

I thought maybe Fargo would program Holly as an AI for GD like in the VR world, but it looks like they opened the door to this.

The unlikely friendship of Zane and Fargo (one of the best parts of the reboot) paid off brilliantly when Zane literally offered his shoulder for Fargo to lean/cry on in the Depression phase.

This is something I've really liked. Zane was freaked out when they were stuck in the space capsule and Fargo basically held it all together. Since then, Zane's really shown a lot of respect to him. He even gave good advice in the VR world.

The final scene with Fargo and Parrish was really well done.

Webbermon

Webbermon

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

ParadoxLost said
My initial thought which I really hope is wrong... a Andy/Fargo/Sarah triangle. SARAH is supposed to be programmed by Fargo and is Fargo's voice made female..

Add in the fact that Fargo also created Andy, and it gets even more... squicky. Both his creations are romantically involved with each other. Andy's dating his sister, y'all. If they break up, who will 'Dad' side with. ..

seashore56

seashore56

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

My apologies to the Jo fans here, but I really hate what the writers have done to her since the end of "This One Time at Space Camp." She's too young to be having a mid-life crisis, and too old to be acting like an emo teenager. I don't blame Zane for giving her an ultimatum. She's jerking him around six ways from Sunday. Sadly for me as a former huge fan of Jo/Zane, I find myself wanting better for him than we're going to get with the show being over.

At this point, I'm no happier with Zane being stuck with Jo than some Jo fans are happy about her being stuck with him. Good job, writers! Way to write a couple that seems to be the inevitable outcome for the show. ~insert sarcasm here~.

My only hope for re-discovering my liking for Jo is if it turns out that the thingamajiggy that Sen. Wen used on the Astraeus candidates in "This One Time at Space Camp" did something to Jo's mind to keep her off the crew. It was after that time that she turned into a "I don't know what I want to do with my life" sad sack of a character to me.

That would be better than the alternative, which is that she wanted Zane until he wanted her. Kinda wishy-washy, IMO. I'm not crazy about the show messing with the Carter/Jo sibling-vibe friendship, either. Does every single male-female relationship on TV have to lead to coupling? Or, at least, other characters insinuating as such? They ruined the sexiness of Jo/Zane so they could imply that deep down inside she wants Jack, but will settle for Zane? No thanks, show.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

I was never a Jo/Zane fan, but I don't think there is a specific age range on a mid life crisis. I said before I thought Zane was fair in giving her an ultimatum. She's been in Eureka before Carter and not had a break as far as we know. That place is high stress as it is, and since the time-jump, she found herself as head of GD without [for her] any adjustment period.

She got to a point where she was ready to commit to Zane and get married and then literally the next day she had to start from scratch with him. That's a lot to lose and a lot to deal with.

She's not so old that she couldn't go somewhere else and be a very good law enforcement agent, whether Marshals, FBI, whatever. So I can buy she is asking, is this really what I really am doing?

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

I think people are forgetting that this Zane isn't the Zane that Jo dated and was going to marry. This Zane is from a different reality that she had to get to know all over again and he had to get to know her for the first time. So I can understand she's being wishy washy over their relationship. She has every right to be confused about what she wants. That guy isn't her Zane.

Edited by Sakura12, May 10, 2012 @ 2:31 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

That's a very good point, but I would offer that this version of Zane is far better for her. I can't recall a scene since the time jump where he was condescending to her and before that he was borderline insufferable.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I was never a Jo/Zane fan, but I don't think there is a specific age range on a mid life crisis.

I don't think so either, and who says you only have one? Especially in this day and age.

I've watched last week's episode twice now and apparently missed Grace killing alt-Henry both times! Or did she?

I didn't think Grace had killed alt-Henry when she used the jumper cables to shock him. I thought it just knocked him out, but being an AI it may have had a different effect and did kill him. My take is that she shocked him unconscious, escaped with Carter, and probably disappeared when their AI world started to break up.

Grace may have felt she had killed him, and has the residual guilt of that. It definitely did not play out the same way as Allison kicking Jo into the void.

When they were all in the real world having coffee (what happened to the Cafe Diem anyway?), when Henry said to Grace in effect, what could make this face (his) threatening, you could almost see Grace trying not to shudder from the memory.

seashore56

seashore56

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I see the opposite points about Jo's midlife crisis, for lack of a better way to describe it. But, for me, the problem is the writers did a very poor job setting it up. It came out of nowhere, IMO. She seemed to be excited about the Astraeus opportunity one minute, and suddenly she not only didn't want to do that, she wasn't even sure Eureka was where she wanted to be.

I would offer that this version of Zane is far better for her. I can't recall a scene since the time jump where he was condescending to her and before that he was borderline insufferable.

Even as a Zane fan, you'll get no arguments from me on this. Maybe its because I watched the whole thing out of sequence and saw beginning season 4 Zane first, and caught the older seasons on iTunes, but it doesn't even seem like NM is playing the same character as before. He physically looks so different that its hard to remember that the skinny, stubble-free guy who first came on the show was the same actor. I definitely like the new timeline Zane better than the old one, though. He's not perfect by any means, but he's more integrated into the town and even acts heroically at times. He could have died trying to break out of Matrix Eureka, but he was willing to chance it to save the others. Sure, they were all going to die in the Matrix anyway if they didn't get out, but that doesn't negate what he did, IMO. Plus, the Zane/Fargo friendship since season 4.5 is a treat to watch.

ipj

ipj

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Jo as a US Marshall: Deputy Marshall Jo Lupo and Deputy Marshall Raylan Givens. You know you want this.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

I don't think so either, and who says you only have one? Especially in this day and age.

Oy, no kidding. Being fairly young in town, and "outside" the scientists, you have to ask. Is what I want in life? She was passed over for sheriff, now she's head of GD, but really she's mostly a babysitter for bunch of egomaniacs. It's hard to date, and she's working basically 24/7. I sure as hell would need to get out of there. What happens if Zane doesn't work out? The dating pool is thin.

When they were all in the real world having coffee (what happened to the Cafe Diem anyway?), when Henry said to Grace in effect, what could make this face (his) threatening, you could almost see Grace trying not to shudder from the memory.

Cafe Diem got ripped apart I thought. It was the episode where the bank flew up in the air and Carter had to go in and put some equipment together. The poor Jeep got sucked into the wormhole.

I see the opposite points about Jo's midlife crisis, for lack of a better way to describe it. But, for me, the problem is the writers did a very poor job setting it up. It came out of nowhere, IMO. She seemed to be excited about the Astraeus opportunity one minute, and suddenly she not only didn't want to do that, she wasn't even sure Eureka was where she wanted to be.

Well, they did sprinkle in that she wasn't so sure about being on the mission. There was the flashbacks with her brothers, and then when the Senator made a crack about her and the brothers' military service, it seemed like she realized her heart wasn't in it.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Grace may have felt she had killed him, and has the residual guilt of that.

That hadn't occurred to me, but it's certainly possible. I thought she was thinking that since the program supposedly created versions of themselves that could actually exist (given the right/wrong set of circumstances), that meant Henry was potentially a psychopathic wife murderer.

NickyPick

NickyPick

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:29 AM

I'm so glad this show was renewed for two seasons.

Huh? The show is cancelled. This is our last season.

seashore56

seashore56

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

Courtesy of Spoiler TV: Eureka Season 5 DVD announcement:

http://www.spoilertv...-announced.html

Glad they're doing it this way!

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Huh? The show is cancelled. This is our last season.

I was being sarcastic. The show has really been at the top of its game since the time jump, and I am bitter that the rug was pulled out from under them, so I take every opportunity I can to swipe at the network. Since I am never watching another new show after Eureka and W13 end.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

SyFy is showing an all day marathon today.

Whodunnit

Whodunnit

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

Oh. Damn. Just deleted my entire post. Ok here we go again...

Hi guys;
I just wanted to say that I just finished watching and catching up on episodes 1-4... I feel dumb for not realizing that it was back on... Good to see that there's a marathon on though... lol.

WTH was up with the ending on episode 4? Jo can't really want Carter can she? Ick.
Its not like you've spent the last 5 seasons establishing a brother/sister vibe between them, show.
Having Zane deal with NPC Jo and NPC Jack hook up is fair considering that the real Jo had to deal with Zane and Zoe hook up earlier.
(Ick, oh dear, where did I leave the brain bleach?)

Well I'm not happy that the show is ending but at least they got 5 short seasons and an extra episode to wrap things up which is far more than another show I like just got... sigh.
Which is why on this channel I might watch another Sci-Fi show if it was awesome and especially if it had former cast members... but you will never see me watching wrestling or reality shows...

I didn't love Felicia Day's character but I didn't hate her either and she made Fargo's character happy, so I don't mind the show taking the time to show that he is grieving... I wonder, does this mean that he and Dr. Isaac Parrish(sp?) will be friends now?
Which reminds me, it is cool how Zane and Fargo have bonded, yes?

Off topic: For Mother's day my supposedly male bird laid an egg, which I find weird and a bit Sci-Fi, lol.

Edited by Whodunnit, May 13, 2012 @ 12:17 PM.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

I'm so glad Syfy is showing a Eureka marathon today. I've had it on in the background all day while I clean house. Re-watching so many episodes in a row has shown me that although I really like Colin Ferguson and love how well he plays Jack, I've decided that I really, really love Deputy Andy. I remember being a little disappointed when they 'switched Andys' way back when, because I liked the original. But, I changed my mind quickly. Kavan Smith is very good in this role. He really shows his skill, especially when he played 'evil Andy' (they haven't gotten to that episode in the marathon yet). They just showed one of my favorite scenes: 'Hellooo! Hey, guys! Look at me, I'm on Titan!' (waves cheerfully)

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Kavan Smith is very good in this role.

Not to be trite, but he's always good. In Atlantis he was in a supporting role, but very much a fan favorite. Same for The 4400. He's got really good chemistry with whomever he works with, and he really is able to create believable characters. It's not surprising he's had steady work.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

They just showed one of my favorite scenes: 'Hellooo! Hey, guys! Look at me, I'm on Titan!' (waves cheerfully)

I don't think it's possible for real Andy to be anything but cheerful. Even when dumped by SARAH, he was smiling and cheerful, because he got to ride a horse.