Eureka

• Please log in to reply

4702 replies to this topic

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

I don't care that Beverly got away. I just don't want to see sci-fi's lamest TV villain ever again.

I didn't understand the interaction between Jo and Carter in the virtual world. It wasn't like they had to keep up the act when they were alone in the house.

It was a good episode, but it looks like it's business as usual in Eureka next week. That makes me happy. I'm glad they ended this story line.

It didn't look like the crew was hooked up to anything - like IVs or feeding tubes. How did they stay alive while they were in the virtual world for an entire month?

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

I didn't understand the interaction between Jo and Carter in the virtual world. It wasn't like they had to keep up the act when they were alone in the house.

That was real Carter but virtual Jo.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

Jo/Zane having an adult conversation at Cafe Diem and Zane not snarking at Jo about virtual Jo/Carter was nice, too.

Oddly enough it seems that Allison is the one being cold to Jo because of the fake Jo/Carter. I hope that doesn't last long because it's going to get old fast.

I actually had that same problem going into the episode, knowing what was coming from the previews. If it was fake Jo thinking she was with fake Carter, why would they be programmed to have sexy times with no one 'real' around to see? But they actually weren't alone - Fargo was there. That's why the scenario was played out, supposedly for his benefit.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

The NPCs were obviously pretty advanced AIs, since each one was described as being an independent entity (IIRC), they were probably all carrying on every day doing things according to their programming. A PC being present would just cause it to be rendered.

I think they might have actually been more "alive" than just simple computer programs. Something similar to Andy, just without as much freedom.

NPC Carter seemed genuinely regretful that Holy had figured things out.

NPC Jo seemingly figured out that Carter was not NPC Carter, but rather than taking him and Fargo down there, she went after Alison instead.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

Colin Ferguson is just amazing. He constantly impresses me with his acting and his comedic timing. That scene with Zane was just brilliant in so many ways. I hope we see a lot more of him after Eureka.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]

I actually had that same problem going into the episode, knowing what was coming from the previews. If it was fake Jo thinking she was with fake Carter, why would they be programmed to have sexy times with no one 'real' around to see? But they actually weren't alone - Fargo was there. That's why the scenario was played out, supposedly for his benefit.

[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]I didn't think that fake Jo knew that Fargo was there in the house with them. I thought the scene was odd. [/font]

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:44 AM

I think they might have actually been more "alive" than just simple computer programs. Something similar to Andy, just without as much freedom.

It does make more sense to me if I think of it that way.

I'm glad that we won't have to keep track of Real Character and Fake Character for the rest of the season, and I truly loved the reveal that the Senator was in a virtual world. Colin Ferguson was just incredible, as always. I feel bad that I don't feel bad about Holly.

lovelyivy

lovelyivy

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Colin Ferguson's reactions to Jo were incredible in this ep. I like Henry/Grace and Allison, Jo and Fargo quite a bit (Zane is now tolerable) but he truly is the heart of what makes this show work. So impressive.

I know people didn't like this arc , since it took time away from the real characters in the real town and we only have one season left, but on its own merits this was a really good story and one of the stronger resolutions the show has had of a plot line. Eureka was terrible at wrapping up plot lines for the first two seasons, but ever since the beginning of Season 4 the show has just gotten so much stronger. Once it's gone that may be it for me and Syfy, as I don't really want to support them anymore. This show was literally the best thing on the channel and they are throwing it away. Even FOX has done better by the genre of late (with the final season of Fringe greenlit all is forgiven).

Edited by lovelyivy, May 1, 2012 @ 10:16 AM.

Chris24601

Chris24601

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

Poor Fargo. Way to make me care about Holly who I was always meh about. He deserves to be happy, I'd hate for the show to end and Fargo not live happily ever after.

Well, if they fail to do it on Eureka, there's always the chance they could give him a happy ending over on Warehouse 13, since they've established they're in the same universe, Fargo and Claudia had a bit of a thing in the past, and Claudia recently lost someone close to her as well.

Fodder for thought anyway.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

I didn't think that fake Jo knew that Fargo was there in the house with them.

As long as the simulation program knew, it didn't matter if the NPC did.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Loved how it went from her arrogant "I'm untouchable" to the realization she was completely trapped in a virtual world. Oh well, too bad, so sad.

When she had that line about being untouchable, my immediate response was "Tell it to Rand Paul!" U.S. Senators aren't above the law, and can end up getting arrested or resigning over things a LOT less serious than sabotaging the space program, kidnapping a score of prominent astronauts and scientists, and murdering one in cold blood with her own hands. Whoever put her in charge of her own platoon of military lackeys would drop her like a hot potato and deny, deny, deny once she was caught, as would her political party.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

The best bit for me was Carter trying to explain what was happening to Zane, who thought it was proof that he was the real Carter. Also, "That was a little unsettling" when Henry gets zapped. Colin F is so good in this show.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

The real Carter/fake Jo scene wasn't puzzling at all to me. Fake Jo seemed to feel like something was up with Carter by the look on her face at the end of that scene. Real Carter would run from a naked Jo. That was just another scene demonstrating how important it was to keep the facade alive for Carter's sake. He couldn't do it, which wasn't something Carter should have been doing in that situation.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

Well I for one will not shed a tear that Holly is gone. IDK what it was, maybe that annoying, happy personality to the point of nausea but either way while I'm kinda bummed for Fargo I'm still happy she's dead.

Honestly I'm kinda surprised they wrapped up this Matrix story line so quickly. I would have expected this to go on all season with some big fall out at the end of the series. It makes me wonder what's next?

Edited by dirtybubble, May 1, 2012 @ 2:51 PM.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

Seems like next episode is classic Eureka, some crazy experiment goes horribly wrong & Carter saves the day.

This episode was classic that way too. Henry was going to go into the matrix but, no, Carter had to go. And then in the matrix when Grace got delayed, Carter had to manually set off the explosion. Also classic.

Scary Henry and frightened Grace were awesome.

I don't think the sexy virtual-Jo and not-virtual-Carter scene worked that well. I think she was doing the sexy bit to verify that it was not-real Carter, but if so, he didn't do a very convincing job of faking her out. It wasn't terrible, just not as good as it could have been. The little tweak on her nose as he high-tailed it out was good. Maybe it just went on too long.

I liked Holly. *party of one*

lovelyivy

lovelyivy

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

It's not that I didn't like Holly, it just felt a bit like Felicia Day playing Felicia Day- like it wasn't really a character, just a nerd goddess avatar. She felt undercooked, a character built by outside references instead of by solid writing. Not to mention that the minute she became 'the girlfriend' they quit trying to develop her character in any interesting ways, and instead focused solely on when she and Fargo were going to get around to having sex.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Terrific episode. With the notable exception of Fargo, everyone appears to have gotten a happy ending. The ending with Senator B***h was wonderful.

My one primary complaint is DF and Beverly. DF needs to stop with the plastic surgery because she looks straight busted when she is caught up close. Beverly is in no way a decent person. No she didn't want to kill the crew, she just wanted to kidnap, indefinitely contain, and intellectually rape 20 odd people. What a delight.

pcta

pcta

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

I liked Holly. *party of one*

Make that a table for two

marieelise0928

marieelise0928

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Carter leaping out of the chair in terror when Jo touched his shoulder just cracked me up. I absolutely love Colin Ferguson. He's so funny and just radiates sweet and silly sincerity. Whoever said that he's the beating heart of the show upthread is so right, in my book...

But I love everyone else too! I don't mind Alison's grouchiness with Jo -- I think the fact that there final interaction in Virtual World was a death battle might result in her needing a couple of days to readjust. I'm sure she'll be fine ;)

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Shimmergloom, May 2, 2012 @ 5:53 PM.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Spoiler

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

I'm glad this was only 3 episodes regardless if this is the last season. I quite enjoyed it, but I think any more time on this arc would have been too much. I think it may have been a little cheat that it was easy for Zane to crack the puzzle, but it was also at the same time Carter d/l-ed in, and I think it was only a matter of time before one of them found out. Fargo was actually leaving the town at the same time, and Zane seemed to have been thinking about being shot in E1. I also liked that Alison was skeptical, but so relived. And I loved that Carter was totally freaked out about Jo. I was really hoping that would happen. I do feel that it was the right call to lie to Fargo at first. They needed him to get out, and I think he would have been useless otherwise.

I'm a little over Beverly. Although it was dumb of the Senator to piss her off. She's been psychotic since the pilot. I assume she's going to pop up in the finale [I'm unspoiled.] I liked her exchange with Henry. The "we're not so different" conversation is typical, but I really like how disgusted Henry was with her.

It's not that I didn't like Holly, it just felt a bit like Felicia Day playing Felicia Day- like it wasn't really a character, just a nerd goddess avatar.

That really hits it on the head. I just didn't think she brought anything unique to the crew and was kind of shoved in. It didn't wash for me that she got to be on the crew given all her issues. I felt like she was directed to "just be cute." It grated on me. I like FD in other things though. Maybe the problem was she was just "there" all the time.

If it was fake Jo thinking she was with fake Carter, why would they be programmed to have sexy times with no one 'real' around to see? But they actually weren't alone - Fargo was there. That's why the scenario was played out, supposedly for his benefit.

I thought Fake Jo caught on that something was off with fake Carter and was trying to push him enough to crack. So that way she would learn what he was plotting, and which of the crew knew there were in the VR. But that makes sense too.

This episode was classic that way too. Henry was going to go into the matrix but, no, Carter had to go.

And also really a classic scene of incredible bravery on Carter's part. He looked at them all and said, it has to be me. He was scared. Why? He's the most expendable and said as much: we need Henry here if something goes wrong. When the irony is that Carter is invaluable to the town. I hope the series ender can give him the recognition he has more than earned.

Eureka was terrible at wrapping up plot lines for the first two seasons, but ever since the beginning of Season 4 the show has just gotten so much stronger.

Oh, ITA. It's rare that a show really refreshes this late into it's run, but they really are doing well now. I am so glad they got renewed for 2 more seasons.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

As far as the table goes, I also liked Holly. It's my belief that she isn't actually dead. Instead, I believe that the conspiracy wiped her memory and then put her in a safe, nurturing place where she can get the help that she needs.

Edited by johntfs, May 3, 2012 @ 8:28 PM.

seashore56

seashore56

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

More tweets from Jaime Paglia about this season:

http://twitter.com/#!/jaimepaglia

Again, I can't seem to copy individual tweets, but here are some that I found interesting, if not unsettling:

Spoiler

Any comments on the first tweet from other spoiler readers? I'll admit this had entered my mind, but now that it looks like it might actually come up in the show, I'm not sure how to feel about it.

boonoonoo

boonoonoo

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

I will never, ever get tired of Colin Ferguson.

This is a virtual hand...
It's ironic. No, bionic. Ionic!

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

I swear when Sheriff Carter was trying to get Kevin and Jenna out of the burning House, he was saying "Dad" not "Jack." Which would be really cool.

Poor, poor Fargo. He is going to be a long time getting over Holly. Loved that it was Parrish who was the only one who could help him. Fargo doesn't need platitudes, he doesn't need to be told "Keep busy to keep your mind off of it." He needs to grieve. With someone who cared for Holly too.

On the other hand, I know Zane and Jo are the designated couple. But honestly, how Jo handles Fargo is just awesome. They work well together. Just a finger in his face gets him back in line even when his emotions are all over the place.

Jo, Jo, Jo, Eureka needs you. YOU. Not some competent head of GD. Whatever combinations of skills, smarts and personality that mkes you Jo is what Eureka needs. This is your place. You ran into a freaking burning building to save Alison's kids. That is true friendship. That is not just doing your job. Someone else could not just do it as well. Listen to what the Universe is telling you.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I loved this episode with everyone trying to adjust back to reality. It felt authentic-- of course everything couldn't go back to normal right away. I had forgotten about Jo staying with Jack/Allison and it's understandable that Allison (and Jack) would be uncomfortable given what happened in the matrix. But poor Jo, who had no idea what was going on. And I really liked Allison and Grace confiding each other about their issues post-matrix. I was so happy when Henry brought up the whole time-travel thing and Grace finally relented to least talk to him about it.

It's frustrating that Jo can't hear what the Universe is saying when we can-- Eureka, Eureka, Eureka! C'mon Jo, open your eyes and ears! Loved her helping save Kevin and Jenna and then rescuing Carter's bacon at the last minute with the plasma net gun (ala the matrix).

Parrish helping Fargo in his grieving was a nice touch and I really liked that.

The end of this episode made me all teary-eyed, between Allison and Jo, Jo and Zane, and Fargo and Parrish. I suspect waterworks when we actually get to the finale.

Next weeks looks to be great-- Colin is a great comedic talent in pretty much every episode, but I think next week is going to be awesome.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

My post seems to have disappeared into the ether, so here goes again:

What about S.A.R.A.H.? She was already having some problems (glitches) that morning, and Andy couldn't get her to respond after the fire. Is she gone? I hope not, for Andy's sake. Jack told him that she would be okay, but who knows?

Coconuts

Coconuts

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Why would they kill SARAH? What would the show/story gain without her? She's not enough of a character to matter, and they already killed off FD, so it has less impact. Show-wise, they're not paying another actor to voice her, she doesn't take any special effects, so they wouldn't save any money by doing it, and wouldn't move the story forward. I just don't see why they would, you know?

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Hopefully, Sarah is okay (for Andy's sake). I don't remember which episode, but there was another one where they thought she was 'dead', but she turned up at the end (I think she ended up being downloaded in one of the 'smart car' computers or something to save her memory). My own memory's fuzzy. The house needs a boatload of Mr. Clean and paper towels to clean up the mess left by the fire, though.

I just thought of something. Wasn't the house originally designed to be a bunker? I guess it could have been re-fitted, but it seemed kind of easy to break into. Even though Jack had to shoot it out, a skylight made of thick glass doesn't seem like too much of a barrier for, say, a bomb or missile.