Eureka

• Please log in to reply

4702 replies to this topic

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2006 @ 10:26 PM

This new show on the Sci-Fi Channel is about a small town populated with scientific geniuses, covering some kind of secret. I'm moderately intrigued, and will give the first couple episdoes a look.

Raksha

Raksha

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 10:54 AM

I've seen the previews on SciFi and it looks interesting. So far, it seems like they've given the people who write their station identification clips a series of their very own!

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 9:19 PM

I never heard about this show until I saw this thread, so I read the synopsis at SciFi and it sounds really interesting. And yay! Joe Morton is in it, so I will definitely watch. It will premiere on Tuesday, July 18 at 9pm.

youdidntseeme23

youdidntseeme23

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 9:31 PM

Two words: Cannot. Wait.

AshBlue

AshBlue

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2006 @ 10:20 AM

So far, it seems like they've given the people who write their station identification clips a series of their very own!

Aha, you are correct. I was thinking the previews looked familiar. In fact, I what I thought was a new Sci-Fi clip turned out to be a Eureka preview.

Atropos

Atropos

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 10:48 PM

For some reason, the premise of this show reminds me of a book I read by Dean Koontz many years ago called "The House of Thunder." Now THAT would make a great TV series!

Anywho.... yep, like others have said, it seems interesting enough to check out. Especially during the mostly uneventful summer months....

kricka

kricka

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 1:20 PM

Oh yay!
I saw the ads for this this weekend and wondered if someone had started something for it. Hope it's as good as the ads. Maybe it will help quell my current thirst for quantum physics as well...

Ooh, and Matt frewer to boot! Excellent.

Edited by kricka, Jun 26, 2006 @ 1:22 PM.

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jun 30, 2006 @ 11:38 AM

Matt Frewer and Nero Wolfe! I'm really excited for this.

At least, I thought I saw Maury Chaykin in some television previews.

Edited by keckler, Jun 30, 2006 @ 11:44 AM.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2006 @ 1:40 AM

Yes, I read that Maury Chaykin is in the show and I definitely saw him in the preview wearing what looked like a sheriff's uniform.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2006 @ 3:35 PM

Chaykin was great as the crazy guy in A Life Less Ordinary (one of the few good moments of the movie). From what I've seen in the promo, he looks like a perfect fit to be a sheriff in a small town.

Today I went to the Eureka site and found that they have a mock online store now called Made in Eureka. It's pretty funny, they have futuristic versions of TVs and phones, and even iPod accessories. My favorite is the short range personality detector. Here's a link to it.

http://www.scifi.com...takesrules.html

CrazyDog

CrazyDog

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2006 @ 5:36 PM

Today I went to the Eureka site and found that they have a mock online store now called Made in Eureka. It's pretty funny, they have futuristic versions of TVs and phones, and even iPod accessories.

Hee! I love this one: The description just cracked me up.

eyePod Spy Satellite Tracker
The days when your personal music collection and the security of your nation were handled by different devices are over.

For some reason, the premise of this show reminds me of a book I read by Dean Koontz many years ago called "The House of Thunder." Now THAT would make a great TV series!

Ooh, I remember that book -- it was so freaking creepy! I'm intrigued by the previews, and will definitely tune in.

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 1:48 PM

Hah! The Kryo-Kennel and the personality scanner are my favorites.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2006 @ 2:33 PM

I didnt see the Kennel one originally, but I keep seeing it in ads (I know I saw it on Engadget). Eureka seems like its everywhere.

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2006 @ 4:24 PM

I love that under every product picture is the disclaimer "This is not a real product." As a lawyer I understand why it's there, but as a viewer, I mean, duh, I can't really buy a TV that will show me next season's episodes of Lost? Bummer!

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2006 @ 2:46 PM

Actually I had these up on my computer and a friend saw the Kennel and completely freaked out (she's a big time animal lover). She's so gullible though.

The good thing was that after I explained it, she became interested in the concept of the show.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2006 @ 3:02 PM

The more promos I see, the more I am intrigued by this show. It's like Alamogordo (home of the Manhattan Project) continued on in secrecy after WWII with people like Fermi and Feynman being the patriarchs of a race of super geniuses (which I think is a nice and orginal change from the typical, look we found an alien spacecraft lets exploit its technology).

Plus it has Joe Morton, a guy who I really enjoy watching.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2006 @ 2:10 AM

These are the only reviews of the show that I found so far and they're mixed:

Scripps News

The Star-Ledger

Prof Rukh Frink

Prof Rukh Frink

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2006 @ 4:26 AM

Matt Roush reviewed it for TV Guide, too. He seems to generally enjoy it.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2006 @ 4:44 AM

So far, the show is more likable than memorable, but there are worse places to spend a midsummer's night.

That's a semi-positive review at least. If Matt Roush likes it, that's good enough for me.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2006 @ 3:30 PM

Exactly. I wonder if that was based solely on the first episode of the show. I guess we'll see on Tuesday

lidja

lidja

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2006 @ 6:57 AM

The Wall Street Journal had a review in today's edition (I don't know if its available online without a subscription).
An interesting quote they had from Dave Howe, Sci Fi's general manager was:

We kind of cornered the market on space and aliens and the future, and this show [Eureka] is none of the above: It's an Earth-based, character-based contemporary drama.

The article suggested that this show is an expensive gamble, since the ratings are down 14% from 2005 and they have less than half the audience of TNT or USA.
Another quote:

There is still plenty of sci-fi jargon in Eureka - quantum anomalies, next-gen military hardware and a top-secret warehouse known as section five. But the channel is adamant about one thing: no aliens. In the first episode, when a local resident says his cattle are being abducted by extra terrestrials, everybody laughs.

I understand them trying to expand their audience base, but your average TV viewer probably won't understand the subtle distinction they're trying to make. Unless they change the channel's name and risk the ire of its die hard fans, I doubt they'll be able to make significant inroads into the general population.

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jul 15, 2006 @ 9:10 PM

I didnt see the Kennel one originally, but I keep seeing it in ads (I know I saw it on Engadget). Eureka seems like its everywhere.

Not only that, there's all these commericals for it on Bravo! Sci-Fi certainly sunk money in this show -- I really, really hope it flies because I'm psyched for it.

Edited by keckler, Jul 17, 2006 @ 12:42 PM.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 11:56 AM

that doesnt surprise me. I remember seeing ads for Dark Kingdom on one of the Networks earlier in the year. SciFi seems to do a good job with ads. With Eureka, it seems like I see something on every other website I visit, and it has definitely kept me intrigued.

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 12:41 PM

Actually, what I meant was that there are ads for the CryoKennel.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 3:50 PM

i see. yeah, those are very clever. 4 more hours til the show starts!

shallots

shallots

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 4:27 PM

I fell for one of their ads. So far did I fall that Mr. Shallots is still snickering.
I was listening to him with one ear and eyes and other ear were on the screen.
And I fell for the microwave oven mit.
I don't know if its the heat outside, the (did I imagine) bubling mozarella on the pizza as the glove passed over it, or too much television, but I even saw the Eureka symbol and it didn't sink in.
I told Mr. Shallots that I thought it was a really bad product and he started laughing and ....you can guess the rest.

jedshead

jedshead

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 9:37 PM

I, too am Intrigued by all the commercials for this show.

Just know I'll be watching simply for the fact that I Live in Eureka, CA. SYNCHRONICITY Heee! Let's Hope sciFi gets a decent show goin', after all that farscape shenanigans! ;-)

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

I loved the solar car. That thing was awesome. It was completely cheap comedy that it would be to small for him, but it worked. Quite a bit of the comedy worked, I liked the crack about Area 51's security. The last line was funny as well "Jo call Henry".

Deputy Jo and Allison are very easy on the eyes. I'm not going to complain about that. I will say this, when we first saw Deputy Jo, I thought it was Emmanuelle Vaugier for a second.

I didn't see that FelonSpice was Jack's daughter. That thought just never crossed my mind.

I like this show. It's got humor and a good cast, which is a good thing. The previews were pretty cool as well.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 10:06 PM

I like this show. It's got humor and a good cast, which is a good thing.

I loved it. It was great and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Did the Sheriff retire, so that Jack could have his job? I hope that we get to see him again because Maury Chaykin is awesome.

Nailbiter

Nailbiter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 10:31 PM

I liked it too, though I totally pegged the WannabeReeseWitherspoon girl as the Marshall's daughter. She grated a bit, I hope her acting gets better.

Other than the daughter, my only complaint is that the tone of the show seems to abruptly switch from whimsical to creepy, which is a little jarring. It's like, ooh, this is fun, what neat gadgets, what cute little awkward nerds, OMG THAT DUDE'S LEGS ARE GONE!!!

But I mostly enjoyed it. I'm glad I don't know much about real science, because I'm sure actual physicists would be irked by the gobblydegook mumbo jumbo explanations, but I'm a good little sci-fi fan, in that if you say it with enough conviction, I'll buy it.