1-1/1-2: "In the Beginning..." 2006.06.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

101 replies to this topic

Potes

Potes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:33 AM

Tonight, Oxygen, 10:00 p.m. EST:

Janice attempts to open her own modeling agency.

Does anyone else find it significant that Janice's own reality show debuts on 06/06/06?

No posting here until 11 p.m. EST, please.

And FYI, there are a butt-load of reruns scheduled:

June 6 - 11:00 p.m.
June 8 - 10:00 p.m.
June 9 - 7:00 p.m.
June 10 - 4:00 p.m. & 10:00 p.m.
June 11 - 1:00 p.m.
June 13 - 2:00 p.m.

pafirefly

pafirefly

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 9:58 PM

This was definitely... anti-climactic. Meh. Maybe I was just expecting more of Janice, but it wasn't there. Hopefully it'll get better in the next eps. Janice, ya still got my love.

She doesn't want to make supermodels, but then she does? Whatever.

Oh, and the "Everybody refers to me as 'The World's First Supermodel'..." No, Janice. You refer to yourself as "The World's First Supermodel." Everyone else just laughs hysterically.

I really thought Janice would have better models. Her "You're too old, but I see something in you," sounded a hell of a lot like... Tyra? Didn't Janice hate the old hags?

The blonde girl 'top pick' didn't impress me. Neither did the guy.

(Edit: Sorry if this was posted early; my clock read 11:02!)

Edited by pafirefly, Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:00 PM.

jkt1219

jkt1219

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:00 PM

Let me start by saying, I have never seen someone get such flattering lighting.

I'm wondering how Janice is doing financial-wise. Several times she mentioned that she was doing this for her children and for the future of their family. Although I have a hard time believe she started looking for models without a business license, insurance, or a business partner.

I can't remember the name of the girl, but the one who's been modeling for the past ten years and ended up leaving... was it just me or did she not look like a conventional model? I thought she was a plus-size model, although it was hard to tell under that weird jumpsuit thing she was wearing.

I'm hoping to see the training it takes to become a model. How to walk, how to pose, nutrition and exercise, designers, photographers. Basically, all the stuff they don't show you on ANTM.

The triplets? Useless, annoying, vapid, cheap, tacky, stupid. I was so glad when they left.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 9:58 PM

I am officially sick of the homeless chick story arc. And where did said homeless chick get that kick-ass wax job?

I watched a lot of boobs and abs tonight, that's all I remember clearly.

I can't remember the name of the girl, but the one who's been modeling for the past ten years and ended up leaving... was it just me or did she not look like a conventional model?

I thought she was a drag queen before they explained she was a real model. I think it was that fried hair because she's pretty, I remember that L'Oreal ad, I think.

Edited by ChocolateCherry, Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:08 PM.

Nich337

Nich337

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

Not too shabby. Janice had some great one-liners, although I can't for the life of my remember any of them (it's been a long day). The only one that sticks out, though, was the cringe-worthy "I like that she's from a small country in Africa." Sudan's the largest country in Africa, love. Unless I misheard & Janice said small town or something like that, in which case I stand corrected.

Raksha

Raksha

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:02 PM

Awesome. This was everything I'd hoped it would be. Bitch is crazy! But oh so entertaining.

The behind the scenes stuff about the models' bodies (lose weight, nose job, etc) was horrifying, but I appreciated that they showed it without apology or flinching or pretending that that's not how the business is run. It always bothered me like hell that ANTM kept tip toeing around all of those issues and kept denying that they were important when they so obviously were! It's horrifying, but honest. And the upside is that Janice is ending up with models who will actually be able to get jobs, unlike 95% of the ANTM girls.

I like her office. It's very nice.

I kind of feel bad for enjoying Janice's batshit craziness so much because of her kids. They look embarrassed by her behavior. I rationalize that all kids that age are embarrassed by their parents, and then I don't feel so bad! Because I'm a bad person!

Favorite quote:
"Nice to see you triplets, the dog looks nice, black is better than pink."

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

I have two words, "meh"

Her son has quite the speaking voice, he had what 2 lines that weren't subtitled?

Homeless girl is ugly, and can I say "dead eyes". Miss Sudan is fat. fat, Fat! And you gave Keenyah a hard time, Janice?

So what did the first five models do for the 3 months that passed from the first episode to the second, stay with Janice and the kids living off food stamps?

And the triplets. What?

Oh! and rabbit? What the Jade? Rabbit? how do you get a rabbit out of a penis?

All that being said I'll still watch next week.

Edited by rustyspigot, Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:17 PM.

franabanana

franabanana

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

Direct quote from mr. franabanana: "This should be on the 'OY' network."

Truly madly deeply bad. If you thought ANTM was all about Tyra, ANTM looks like a subtle exploration compared to the self-aggrandizement of JDMA.

So many scenes seemed totally set up. Like they weren't even trying to be real. Her breakfast scene with her daughter felt completely false. "Brush your teeth." Yeah, right. Nominated her for Mom of the Year.

Her firing of the triplets seemed fake. Her meetings with the CEO guy seemed fake. Either the scenes were fake or they were all about Janice ranting and raving, freaking out and pointing her long scary fake nails.

I skipped through much of her direct to camera stuff after a certain point cause I was already like, "STFU Janice."

The only one that sticks out, though, was the cringe-worthy "I like that she's from a small country in Africa." Sudan's the largest country in Africa, love. Unless I misheard & Janice said small town or something like that, in which case I stand corrected.

No, I heard the same thing. And thought the same thing. It's not like it was Burundi or something. Sudan is HUGE!

Edited by franabanana, Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:09 PM.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

I hate it that it's okay for the guys to be 24 or over, but not the girls. That's just one more thing to make being a woman so shitty sometimes. Only in this crazy time is 24 considered old. I happen to think that women look way better in their twenties because that's usually when the baby fat starts to disappear and you have a more beautiful essence. Janice should embrace the fact that an older female can be beautiful, after all, according to her, she was still modeling when she was that age.

ETA -- That 18 year old that had the hives...she so looked in her 30's to me. Also, most of the girls she booked looked a little heavy to me. I almost cried when she chastised that poor girl for the cellulite in the bathing suit. She was sooo beautiful. I feel her pain because that's been a battle of mine all of my life. I lay odds, she headed for the first plastic surgeon she could find in order to get lipo. Poor thing. Only the modeling industry could make a girl that pretty feel ugly.

Edited by swankie, Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:17 PM.

Bozette

Bozette

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

I am in AGREEANCE with many of you posters, though that's a word like Naima is a Top Model. First, Janice seems to look more like Steven Tyler from Aerosmith every day. Yes, they're using egregious amounts of Vaseline on those lenses! Second, her son might wind up being the only redeeming character in this whole thing. Third, you're in the "maybe pile"!
Why does her agency look like it's in a strip mall?? Maybe there is a shop there where "someone" can get their "hooker nails" cut?

asdfasdfjames

asdfasdfjames

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:16 PM

Oh, you and your Jade-isms, Bozette.

Okay, I'm sorry, but I loved this. So much. I flove Janice, always will. The show was very entertaining, and I can't wait to see the upcoming episodes.

The only major problems I had, as referenced above, were about her picking girls over like, 21 for her agency. I don't care how beautiful they were, if she's gonna be Janice, then she has to follow her Janice-y rules: if they're too old, too short, and/or too fat, then they're out. My only justification for this is that she's trying to create a catch-all agency, like Ford, who has a regular women's division, and then a division for older women.

Also, why the hell isn't she holding this in New York?

I cheered twice during this episode. The first time was when she had the bunch of guys lined up, and went through each one with "Too short, too short, too short." I was like, "YES! I LOVE YOU JANICE." The second was when they were showing previews for the season, and she said, "Eat your heart out, Tyra."

pafirefly

pafirefly

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:16 PM

The behind the scenes stuff about the models' bodies (lose weight, nose job, etc) was horrifying, but I appreciated that they showed it without apology or flinching or pretending that that's not how the business is run.

I was surprised... I thought the girl who 'needed' the nose job was very pretty, and actually (ding!) reminded me a lot of a younger Janice, of all people.

Potes

Potes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:19 PM

I can't wait to see if homeless girl gets a nose job! That will beat the Top Model veneers storyline, I think. Also, was it me (or, more likely, the lighting slash cheesecloth through which she was filmed), or did Janice look fabulous throughout?

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:26 PM

or did Janice look fabulous throughout?

Yes, though that botox scene was weird. Did her forehead have bubbles at each injection point or was I just seeing things? I try to stay away from the plastic surgery shows so I don't know what usually happens.

I can see the girl getting the nose job and Janice saying, "Well, that didn't work. I have two words..... "

Raksha

Raksha

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:38 PM

I was surprised... I thought the girl who 'needed' the nose job was very pretty, and actually (ding!) reminded me a lot of a younger Janice, of all people.

Heh, maybe that's actually why Janice thinks she needs plastic surgery!

Also, was it me (or, more likely, the lighting slash cheesecloth through which she was filmed), or did Janice look fabulous throughout?

Yeah, Janice looked fantastic. The production team really knows its stuff. Although now that someone's mentioned Steven Tyler, I can't help but see the resemblance every time I look at her now.

only1kcm

only1kcm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:39 PM

I almost cried when she chastised that poor girl for the cellulite in the bathing suit.

Oh, I didn't...that was Naz, and she was on "Blind Date" a week or two ago and man was she snotty. She kept acting like she was the greatest thing evah because she was a bikini model. So I took mean, nasty pleasure in Janice serving her the what-for.

Hee!

I am torn. On the one hand, I wanted more bitchiness. On the other hand, be interesting to see where all this is headed.

And I, as well, wondered where all the money was coming from. I mean, the wardrobe? The Botox? The rent/utilities on the office spaces? The Hummer with driver? The personal makeup artist and hair stylist every morning? I should be so lucky to be that broke and desperate!

misterfab

misterfab

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:44 PM

Potes posts?! Oh, dear, you are loved here! As for JD, is it cheesecloth, vaseline or merely reeeeeelly, reeeeeely good lighting? Yes, it's fakey. Yes, she seems to make up words. (I hear years of coke abuse will do that to ya!). Yes, these models are nice and fug. But one thing this show doesn't seem to be doing, and thank Jebus for this, is letting wannabe models talk! Janice has everything to say--let her yak! Not-yet-models have little to add, even to the shallow, useless dialogue of "reality" television (except for lotsa hespaytu). Bring the weekly Janice meltdowns on!! I'm learning quickly to love this show, in all of its' awful glory...

Young and Free

Young and Free

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:47 PM

Well it looks like this show is recycling at least one reality show famewhore. Marcus Foy, one of the chosen "models" was on the WB reality show "Survival of the Richest," but he had dreadlocks on that show.

Based on the first episode, "The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency" is mostly boring and very fake. Besides the many obviously staged scenes, it was also unrealistic that ALL the people she picked just happened to have NO modeling experience. Or maybe because all the legitimate models with experience wouldn't ever want to sign with a Janice Dickinson modeling agency.

And her line: "I have two words: OUT!" got old the first time she said it. Janice is starting to look more and more like a drag queen, but some of the outfits she wears throughout the season are pretty fierce.

Edited by Young and Free, Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:52 PM.

floretbroccoli

floretbroccoli

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:49 PM

"Everybody refers to me as the world's first supermodel."

Gee, how did that ever get started, Janice?

Tigerredux

Tigerredux

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 11:11 PM

I think I loved it. Janice is certifibly crazy. One minute she loves you (the tripplets in pink), and thinks your so novel, the next minute she hates you (the tripplets in black with dog). I hated the triplets from the start, and I loved when she asked the one if she was petting the guy or putting on oil. She distinctly said she wants catalog, commercial and runway models. So for those who are a little less than House of Valentino (or whoever) ready, and are a little on the heftier side, I think she wants options. Not all high fashion. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Janice had a good eye for those who could deliver a good picture. I thought she took some good pictures as well. I felt like all the crap of weeks in ANTM, were widdled down to about 25 minutes. Unfortunate reality, Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery, Denzel Washington even nutty Tom Cruise, only got better with age, Kathleen Turner, Elizabeth Taylor well, lets us say that recent advances in surgical procedures have made it a little less obvious if a woman wants to try to hang on, but still, it's a fact of life. That is said by someone completely accepting the reality of being over 40.

I love that Janice's son sounds and acts more mature than her, and seems more stable as well. I'm just counting down the minutes until she has a blow up at the business manager, and throws him off the project. Yeah a lot of mugging and out right fakery, but you cannot deny, she does know how to dress her behind off, even if it has that sort of drag queen look. Nothing like watching a crazy like a fox person melt down, then look to cash in the check, I hope she makes some money and doesn't just spend it all like a drunken sailor (or Congress). I like Janice, even if she is over the top.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 11:23 PM

Oh, I didn't...that was Naz, and she was on "Blind Date" a week or two ago and man was she snotty. She kept acting like she was the greatest thing evah because she was a bikini model. So I took mean, nasty pleasure in Janice serving her the what-for.

Thank you only1kcm. That puts a whole new light on the situation. You would think being a bikini model would make her want to work out harder daily to get rid of it. I work out like the devil to keep mine under control, and all it takes is a couple of Krispy Creme doughnuts to bring it back again. She was still beautiful though. Very exotic looking.

And I, as well, wondered where all the money was coming from. I mean, the wardrobe? The Botox? The rent/utilities on the office spaces? The Hummer with driver? The personal makeup artist and hair stylist every morning? I should be so lucky to be that broke and desperate!

I imagine she made a pretty penny on ANTM, as well as Surreal Life. Not only that, I think I heard her say she's still modeling. On top of that, I bet she gets a small fortune in child support. She just doesn't seem to be very moneywise or smart enough to quit the extravagant spending and put some money aside for her kids' education so she can get out of this reality show crack haze she's living in.

ayla123

ayla123

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 11:37 PM

Let me start by saying, I have never seen someone get such flattering lighting.

Word.

Why is her son speaking in subtitles? Although I do look forward to him calling out his mom. (better potential than even than the son on the old Anna Nicole show...yes, I watch BAD television!) Was her 12 year-old (?) drinking coffee?

nola44

nola44

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 11:38 PM

I thought this was a great start. Plenty of the things I love about Janice ("too short, too short, too short" indeed) with some crazy thrown in and peeks at more to come. I rarely see the "model" in the raw material that comes through the door but some of the boys were spectacular (not Marcus, I couldn't believe she picked him--extra large nostrils and all). Not impressed by any of the girls yet but I trust Janice knows what sells since she's had to sell herself all these years.

The whole thing with the "no business plan" did seem fake and contrived because it was so totally unrealistic: those offices cost bucks to put together and that staff has to be paid somehow! Will be interesting to see how her relationship with her business partner pans out (and for how long it lasts!). Hopefully he really likes her "creative" (aka DIVA) energy because that's what he's going to be getting a lot of!

Looking forward to next week.

pyashun

pyashun

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 11:47 PM

I now declare that henceforth, I shall only be photographed through multiple layers of gauze, a big ol' schmear of Vaseline and lit only by the glow of a thousand candles made from the milk of virgin goats. Are we all in "agreeance?"

Yeah. I agree that the guys were pretty spectacular. I don't know about the girls she picked. They all have that Urban Outfitters catalog vibe to me. You know, not really skinny, classic models--just kind of funky and offbeat looking with that "I could be from another country, or I could be homeless, but I'm cooler than you, and when I wear a t-shirt with an ironic message, it's trend-setting" kind of vibe.

I think she doesn't want any female competition. At all.

That's why I love her and will be inviting her to my next pool party.

rulla lenzka

rulla lenzka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 11:49 PM

I was really excited about this show. I like the overall premise of the show, but all the models went by too fast so it was kind of hard to figure out who was who. I do hope we get to hear a little more about them instead of all Janice all the time. I do love bat shit Janice, I just need a little more variety.

I felt for the blonde guy that she lit into for partying the night before the photo shoot, he looked like "Oh shit! Why did I have to tell her that!"

Naked Guy was just EWWWW! It was funny how the woman who was helping Janice turned her back to him and just stood there while everyone cracked up.

Does anybody know if these "models" get any kind of pay for being on the reality show? Do they get some kind of scale or something for these kind of shows?

MartyBru01

MartyBru01

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 1:27 AM

I really liked the show. It was nice seeing the "darker" side of the modeling biz: being told you're too fat, too old, in need of rhinoplasty, etc. You're not going to be a surgeon if you can't stand the sight of blood, so you shouldn't be upset if you're told you need to lose a few pounds to be a model. I'm hoping she finds some success: both outside of ANTM and with her agency in general.

brneyedblueluvr

brneyedblueluvr

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 1:37 AM

So far I love it. The boys were hot, not so much the girls. I kinda liked the girl she said could be a cover girl and the homeless girl other than that meh. The girl from Sudan, super shocked Janice picked her she is by no means fat but she needs to tighten up her belly. The Naz girl was very pretty but yeah her ass not so much, she looked short too.

I happy that they showed interior designer Preston Lee because Im pretty much in love with him, she should sign him ASAP.

I am sure Janice can whip these models into shape. She has to her reputation is on the line. And dont forget she is THE WORLDS FIRST SUPERMODEL.

Serayepa

Serayepa

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 3:41 AM

naz was also on the tlc (the group, not the network) show "r u the girl?" where t-boz and chilli chose a girl to record a new song with them and possibly join the group. they went and visited her at the gym where her sleazy boyfriend worked and i'm pretty sure she made it into the house, but i can't remember how long she lasted. she seems to like reality shows a whole lot.

as for this show...hmm. not sure yet. i was SO excited when i found out about it, and i've sort of been counting down the days, but i just don't know. i think now that the initial stuff is over it's going to get better. janice is crazy. i don't really have words yet, haha. we'll see.

Edited by Mr. Kwan, Jun 7, 2006 @ 11:05 AM.

angelsoulnme

angelsoulnme

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 5:17 AM

Oh Where to begin ? I love Janice, but I hope when I am 51, I will have HALF of her energy. I know she is kind of hyper, but I wish she wouldn't scream so damn much.

One thing I have to say - Yes, she has had alot of plastic surgery and botox, but let me tell you, you have to work out damn hard to keep a body like that at her age. I loved it when she told NAZ, "I'm 51 and I don't have cellullite on my ass, so you shouldn't have it" LMAO - YOU GO GIRL! Her body puts a lot of us younger woman to shame! She still looks awesome, even if her eyebrows are a little high.

The models - I guess I am new to this, but I am constantly amazed at people who don't look that ridiculously good looking (hee hee) in person, but when they take pictures? BAM! Miss Sudan, she didn't look pretty to me on video, but oh my God, I was blown away by her poses and her pictures.

I like the guys she picked too. It will be fun watching her get everyone into shape. That girl Amber who was already a professional model? Ugh ... What was up with that ugle bleached frizzy hair and that red lipstick. She was all like "It's embarrassing to come here because I am already a model - Uh OK .... AND? Did she really think she could compare her COVERS (250) to Janice's THOUSANDS? Did she think she could ARGUE with MISS JANICE??? I think not.
TWO WORDS CHICK - OUT!!!!

LMAO

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 7:02 AM

Am I the only one who thought this show was strangely serious? (Maybe. I think I'm also the only one who thinks Janice looks pretty good. 1 step too far surgery wise, but I think she's still attractive) Yeah it's slightly staged, but far far less then ANTM.

I was surprised at the range (and size of some) of girls she took. The guys all seem the same to me. In the end I really do think this woman knows what she's doing as far as modeling goes.