30 Rock

• Please log in to reply

6760 replies to this topic

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2006 @ 12:23 AM

It's not like Krakowsk is some pin-up model or anything. It more likely is that they just wanted a bigger personality for the star of the show, and felt that Krakowsk gave off an air of "star of a show," while Dractch...well...doesn't. :)

DebbieM

DebbieM

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2006 @ 4:31 PM

It's not unusual - for many reasons - to make concept changes before (and even after) a show makes its debut and that's what happened here. What I meant in my post was that I don't like Jane Krakowski and I do like Rachel Dratch. Obviously they wouldn't be competing for the same excact role - They're completely different types. I know some of these people personally, and they're all pretty "real". Other than Jane Krakowski. The others seem to blend better together. That's what I meant about throwing the whole thing off.

I'm going to watch 30 Rock no matter what. But for me Rachel Dratch was an added plus, and Jane Krakowski is definitely a minus.

JBC344

JBC344

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2006 @ 5:00 PM

Tina Fey admits in Entertainment Weekly that Rachel's role was downsized because the show within a show concept is almost completely none existant. Translation; Rachel was hired to play the star of a faux SNL show which is what she is, so she is playing herself. Tina fey says by downsizing the concept that you won't see any of the sketches of The Girlie Show so the character went from a comedic standpoint to a straighman acting standpoint. Which is why they needed someone like Jane (Jane has had a respected award winning career before and after Ally McBeal, so if you are just judging her on that there is more to her) I am not saying that Rachel couldn't of still played the role, my poiint is that the role completely changed.

Now that Rachel has a different role on the show which she gets to play a comedic character actress (which is what she is) I don't see this as a loss for her. Also her movie that she is shooting with Amy poehler and Parker Posey was greenlit and rushed into production so I am sure that that had a factor in it. So Rachel has a recurring role on a highly anticipated comedy and a major studio movie in the works. Certainley not someone I would feel sorry for.

DebbieM

DebbieM

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

I don't feel sorry for anyone here. You and I basically said the same thing about the role being changed, the fine-tuning of the show, etc. It's not only Entertainment Weekly that had that information.

I'm just saying that I like Rachel Dratch (as a performer and as a person) much more than I like Jane Krakowski. It's simply my personal opinion. I'm not judging her based on any work she has done in particular. As I said, I know most of these people and I was disappointed to find out that Jane Krakowski got the role.

I still think the show will be good, and I can't wait for it's debut in October!

JBC344

JBC344

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2006 @ 10:47 PM

DebbieM I wasn't replying to anyone's post in particular especially yours in regards to Jane K. My post was meant to inform those that just thought Rachel Dratch was shamelessly fired for Jane Krakowski and not because of the character change and her new movie. I can see from your post that you were not one of those people and that you were just as well informed.

My comment about Jane K was for those that actually believe that her career began and ended with Ally McBeal.

I also think that the show will be great.

Mateo

Mateo

Posted Sep 17, 2006 @ 9:41 PM

I don't understand the buzz around the show. Tina Fey has been a writer for what is considered by almost everyone as the worst SNL era. She was one of the worst weekend news anchors on the show ever. And her one movie wasn't very funny. So why, exactly, is this show getting buzz? From the previews, to me is seems like a standard sitcom with the laughtrack removed.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

I think most of the buzz is coming from comparisons to Studio 60.
I don't know if I'd say Tina was one of the worst weekend news anchors, and (confession) I found Mean Girls funny. Maybe I'm just a freak though, it's possible.

DSP

DSP

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 12:05 AM

I don't know if I'd say Tina was one of the worst weekend news anchors, and (confession) I found Mean Girls funny.

For me, that would be Colin Quinn. I enjoyed Mean Girls too. But SNL? These days, not so much...

phoenixphaerie

phoenixphaerie

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 5:00 AM

Here's another great preview for this show: http://tv.yahoo.com/...e/fall06/?d=105

It seems a bit long to have run on t.v., so I thought I'd post it just in case it hasn't.

Truth be told, this show wasn't even on my radar, but this particular preview has made me really excited about it.

There are some really hilarious lines. "Are there other black nerds? Or is it just you and Urkel?"

"I'm a Jedi!"

And the whole Jay Leno bit killed me.

I'm not sure just what the Thursday lineup is on NBC (aside from The Office and MNIE), but this show should be moved there.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 5:11 AM

The preview I saw didn't do much for me, but I love Alec Baldwin from his Knots Landing days and think kinda reminds me of Sports Night so I'm going to give it a go.

Hopefully this and Twenty Good Years can find a nice following on Wednesday.

english toffee

english toffee

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2006 @ 6:57 AM

Hmmm, when I click on that link it gives me a preview of Season 3 Desperate Housewives. Something I really didn't want to see.

Ah yes, found it. I've seen this preview.... Too bad it's not starting until October 11. Maybe Tina will get some acting lessons beforehand.

Edited by english toffee, Sep 21, 2006 @ 7:03 AM.

SanDiego

SanDiego

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2006 @ 8:10 AM

I personally don't find Tina Fey all that funny, and rarely watch SNL unless the Awesomeness That Is Alec Baldwin is hosting. SNL has been on one of its downward spiral cycles for several years now, so here's hoping that with Tina Fey gone, things will get back to being funny. Definitely will watch 30 Rock for Alec Baldwin. Even though I don't like the man's politics, he just rocks any comedy sketch he is in and I watch TV to be entertained.

Gypsie

Gypsie

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 9:54 AM

Does anyone know what shows 30 Rock will be competing against?

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 10:01 AM

Bones, Jericho, and Dancing with the Stars I believe.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 6:07 PM

Does anyone know what shows 30 Rock will be competing against?

Bones, Jericho, and Dancing with the Stars I believe.

Well, thank God I have two VCR's and Bones replays at midnight on another channel here.

I don't understand the buzz around the show. Tina Fey has been a writer for what is considered by almost everyone as the worst SNL era. She was one of the worst weekend news anchors on the show ever.

Well, actually, the early 80's was the worst, followed closely by the late 90's. Tina Fey actually started bringing the show around. Sure, it wasn't quite as good as it was in the late 80's or the 70's, but it was at least on par with the early 90's.

And as far as her anchor skills go, I put her in third, behind Dennis Miller and Jane Curtin, and just edging out Chevy Chase.

Doug325

Doug325

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 11:39 PM

What I don't get is why NBC is putting on two shows with almost identical premises (30 Rock and Studio 60) - both are about the behind the scenes goings on at a sketch comedy show.

Instead of a drama about the workings of a comedy show, how about a comedy about the goings-on of a news/drama show

skateCO

skateCO

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 11:04 AM

I know, and with such similar titles, too. I personally can't stand Tina Fey or Alec Baldwin, but enjoy Matthew Perry, so momentarily I was sad that I had to avoid Matthew Perry in order to escape the other two.

OLucy

OLucy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 12:51 PM

And then you figured out that Perry was on the other show?

Stuckinowhere

Stuckinowhere

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 1:02 PM

I love Tina Fey, always been a fan of Matthew Perry and think Alec Baldwin has one of the best hosts on SNL so I'm watching both. I think if you want to see a dramatic behind the scenes look on SNL, you can see one show. If you want a comedic look at it you got the other.

Latecomer

Latecomer

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 1:30 PM

What I don't get is why NBC is putting on two shows with almost identical premises (30 Rock and Studio 60) - both are about the behind the scenes goings on at a sketch comedy show.

I don't see this is much different than Scrubs and ER.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 8:04 PM

Instead of a drama about the workings of a comedy show, how about a comedy about the goings-on of a news/drama show

'Cause it's been done.

xmanson

xmanson

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 9:56 PM

Man, can't wait for this to start....

Imagine if Studio 60 flunks out and this one goes on?

Character Zero

Character Zero

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 7:36 AM

Given the ratings, this may happen.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 12:59 PM

Studio 60 has lost more than a third of its audience since the premiere. I think it might be taking itself too seriously. Plus, the "funny sketches" we're glimpsing really suck. That undermines it.

Nizz

Nizz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 1:04 PM

I think this looks ALOT better than Studio 60. That clip of Tracy Morgan running down the street screaming "I am a Jedi" absolutely kills me. THe previews have really impressed me, while Studio 60 has been a letdown.

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2006 @ 3:56 PM

think this looks ALOT better than Studio 60

I just saw the commercials (where have I been?) and I think it looks hysterical. I'm on the fence with Studio 60 right now, but yeah - 30 Rock looks like it could be awesome and therefore better than Studio 60.

IloveMyTV

IloveMyTV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2006 @ 11:38 AM

Here is an Exclusive scene from Episode 2

jackassboy

jackassboy

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 6, 2006 @ 1:35 PM

I have a crush on Tina Fey so I'll be watching 30 rock this coming Wednesday. :)

tribefreak

tribefreak

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2006 @ 1:36 PM

You can also catch the entire premiere on NBC Rewind on the nbc website. I liked it a lot. I even laughed (out loud ) a little.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2006 @ 4:51 PM

Hugely positive article on the show in the Wall Street Journal today. "Pure Gold"; compared to Studio 60 - "This is the funny one";"the surprise comic gem of the season".