• Please log in to reply

6760 replies to this topic

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

LOL season finale title:
Spoiler

Also I'm excited for the return of Avery tonight! I know a lot of fans don't like her but I always have

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

I am one of the fans who don't like her. I'm hoping she'll be back just to make a final departure.

eta: Actually, it's Elizabeth Banks that I don't care for. I probably would like Avery just fine if she was portrayed by someone else.

Edited by whywatch, May 10, 2012 @ 7:27 PM.

Landsnarkk

Landsnarkk

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Elizabeth Banks and Avery were both fantastic tonight. Welcome back.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

I'm such a sucker. I totally thought Avery had done something (though cheating with Scott Scottsman seemed too obvious). Of course she was playing Jack. Love it.

Oni

Oni

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Really liked this episode, the Criss Point System idea especially.

Glad to see Avery back too, hope she sticks around for the final season.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I loved that every single time they had the "this is the issue that will break us" moment with Criss they pulled back. Because those are real issues but a real couple can get over it. "Get into that bed and lets watch Dance Moms." He is perfect for her.

I liked Liz just going up to Avery and Jack kissing and going on about her issues.

I don't have strong feelings for Avery one way or the other. But I do think she is the only one right for Jack in the long term. I liked when Avery said she heard Liddy ask "whose the dye job" to her bear.

I am not signing on to Chris Brown's comeback-Lemon out.

It wasn't perfect but it worked.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

Did Siri say that Jessica Tandy's ZOMBIE was going to Tracy?

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:16 AM

Did Siri say that Jessica Tandy's ZOMBIE was going to Tracy?

Of course she did, Tracy asked Siri to bring Jessica back from the dead!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

I like Elizabeth Banks and Avery. She's a good foil/wife for Jack.

And Banks has great comedic chops. Her reaction to Jack telling her that he had kissed her mom was great.

I thought all the stuff with Korean and Kim Jong Un was good. "Their meat is just deflated kickballs."

I liked when Jenna mentioned her dream wedding to Tracy, and he said, "Itís only a dream wedding? Thank God! I did not want to attend." Great line.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

I'm still not an Avery fan. I feel that if she were truly a perfect match for Jack, the show wouldn't have to keep telling us she was. I do see chemistry between them, but not real love. It's almost depressing for me to think of them raising a child together.

I liked the rest of the episode, though.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

The line, "She's got the ass of a French teenager," made me laugh pretty hard. I'm not a fan of EB, but that line was funny.

All in all, perhaps it is time to say goodbye to our pals at 30 Rock. A nice wrap up next year will be welcome.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

Avery, sometimes, prevents Jack from seeking other women. I liked the character much better single. He just isn't the married type.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

The only way i could get through the episode was to ff through the Avery scenes. I have no opinion on the actress as i do not think I have seen her in other things, but the character of Avery is made of suck. Hopefully, we will get an episode with a throw away line that explains Jack and Avery couldn't make it work and are divorcing. At the very least, she should never appear on the show again.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Avery, sometimes, prevents Jack from seeking other women. I liked the character much better single. He just isn't the married type.

IMO, this is the crux of the issue. I like the Avery character a lot, she fits in well with the show and has good chemistry with Jack, but she limits Jack's comedic possiblities. I'd rather see her as one of Jack's girlfriends than his wife.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

I do wonder if Elizabeth Banks will stick around for the last season

Edited by Cerpintaxt815, May 11, 2012 @ 11:26 AM.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

I sort of feel like they have explored single Jack as much as they can. And he also had her mom as a love interest this season so it isn't like they aren't still going there. I like Avery. I have never felt like she dominated the show when she had her few scenes. And she seemed to fit in with everyone.

Plus, I always thought her relationship with Liz was pitch perfect. Not antagonistic but still weirded out by the close relationship with Jack (which I think is how she would feel).

I think both Jack and Liz are in good relationships for them. And they seem to be closer than ever now that their personal lives are mostly settled (which I like).

I love that Liddy for asking her bear "who the dye job is".

I do wonder if Elizabeth Banks will stick around for the last season

I would bet big money she will do it for at least a few episodes. She has a full schedule but she very clearly loves doing the show.

I hope Criss comes back.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

God I hate Elizabeth Banks and don't think she can do comedy for shit - she's loud. Comedy is loud and emphatic and it's also frequently said fast!!

I never liked James Marsden one way or the other until this gig.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

I paused on the shot of the Crisspoints system board, if anyone's interested:

Chores -
Enthusiasm for Crisspoints system
Referring to me as Khaleesi
Sitting on my feet
Fixing the internet
Absolute silence during "Celebrity Apprentice"
Unloading the dishwasher
Killing spiders
Talking to neighbors so I don't have to
Going to post office
Listening to me describe my dream

Rewards and Points Values -
Dinner out - 10 points
Visit beach - 25 points
Liz will wear silk undertrunks - 30 points
Move your boat painting out of the closet - 100 points
Daylight sex - 200 points
Criss can grow joke mustache - 275 points
Food sharing - 300 points

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

Thanks for typing all that out, Cerpintaxt815! My favorites are the Khaleesi one for awesomeness, and the fact that Food Sharing requires the most points. 50% more than even daylight sex!

Frey

Frey

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

God I hate Elizabeth Banks and don't think she can do comedy for shit - she's loud. Comedy is loud and emphatic and it's also frequently said fast!!

Most of the time, I don't even hear Avery's lines, because of the speed or something about her delivery. She had a line this time about something "slithering back into the sewers" which for the life of me I couldn't decipher. She may be a talented actress in another show or genre, but she just can't manage the jokes in this show. I'm glad, though, that apparently Avery has real trouble with Jack KISSING HER OWN MOTHER, and I hope it implodes their relationship by the finale. I just can't relate to her as a character, and I think Jack has been looong overdue to be dumped.

But Alec's acting with Avery was better in this episode than it used to be -- he sold it with C.C. or others much better. But it was fun watching the emotions cross his face during all his scenes with Avery. The dude can act.

As for Criss, while I'll never stop shipping Jack and Liz (NEVER, DO YOU HEAR ME, NEVAAAR), he kind of won me over in this episode. I think James Marsden does a great job slipping into the rhythm and delivery of the style of the show, and I like their dynamic. I'd definitely be okay with him being end game.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Why I will forever weep when this show goes off the air:

Liz (prepping a pop culture presentation for Avery): "Only an hour?! How will I even scratch the surface of Channing Tatum's metoric rise?"
Jenna: "You wear the pants, Liz. Not always very well, because of your hips, but you *do* wear them!"

I loved the Jenna/Liz heart-to-heart, and the Jenna storyline in general. I'm sure she's a very difficult character to write for, but in this episode she was pitch-perfect; narcisstic and vapid, but not off-the-rails like she is in some other episodes. She managed to be a good friend to Liz and her character even showed some growth at the end.

Was Margaret Cho Kim-Jong Un again? My DVR always skips the closing segment.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

I didn't really get until I read a recap of this ep, but Jenna's weird pronunciations of various words -- e.g., cam-uh-ra -- is probably overcompensation for her white-trash upbringing.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

I love Elizabeth Banks in general and as Avery, and I was glad to have her back. I thought her reaction to finding out that Jack had kissed her mother was the funniest thing in the episode--besides, maybe, Crisspoints.

There was funny stuff in the Jenna plotline, but I'm wary of comedy targetting Southerners, ruralites, and people from lower socioeconomic classes (in part because it gives fodder to people who think that that's all Hollywood produces and then use that as a political attack). It's generally okay with regard to Kenneth because he has this whole host of other eccentricities that make him a weirdo, but the stuff with Jenna was largely just a straight-up white trash joke, and that's problematic for me. But the accent work was pretty damn hilarious.

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

Crisspoints were good. Criss and Liz discussing what to do if they got a "plant" was hilarious. Criss moaning as he's getting beaten up by the Sesame Street Mob: "no, no, not my cheekbones!" was the best.

snowflakey

snowflakey

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:28 AM

Scott Scottsman from Scottsdale, so funny, but I am a sucker for a cheap laugh. I loved Jenna's (Jay-nuh's) story of trying to find a wedding sponsor and ultimately finding the perfect match in that knockoff shoe company.

Cerpintaxt815, thank you for posting that list, nor does it surprise me that sharing food would cost the most number of points. All season, I had been on the fence about Criss, because he seemed to come out of nowhere. But after this episode, him and Liz are perfect together, they should get a plant ASAP.

I'm glad Avery is back and loved how they wrapped up the Jack and the mother's "affair" story. Where Avery cared more about being able to guilt Jack into confession then to what he was confessing.

JakeyisSusan, I dread the day when this show goes off the air too. 90% of the time, it is pitch perfect and one of the best shows on TV. By the same token, I would hate for it to fall into the same black hole of suck so many other long running shows do. I would rather have 6 or 7 quality seasons over 14-15 seasons of "still on" seasons.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

IMO the problem with Elizabeth Banks is all she does is "rhythm" and she has a set of all purpose affections (low breathy voice, fast fast fast, or loud) and when she's supposed to be listening she just makes a face. She doesn't really listen in a scene (not just on 30 Rock)- she just narrows her eyes or widens them - she's mugging. She's not processing anything she's hearing. She did the same crap in her guest starring spot on Modern Family. Slick, robotic. So the performance is mechanical and there's no connection.OTOH, James Marsden looks like he should be a terrible actor (his looks just scream soap opera hearthrob and also dimwitted for some reason) yet he's fantastic and between him and Banks he's far more the deserving of an Emmy nod. He commits to the emotional stakes in the scenes, he's absolutely completely engaged with Fey, yet he has the rhythm down 100% and never for a second loses the emotional logic of a scene - he's got the through line also while hitting every joke. He's very specific, so because he's engaged, all the lines land - he knows what they mean.

I think the writing for Jenna and Tracy - which has mostly been Jenna with Tracy - has improved incredibly this season. There's more room for them to breathe just by maturing them maybe half a degree, and setting them loose on plot points that aren't always about how outrageous either of them can be. The writing for them now lets them react instead of others reacting to them and I'm especially surprised at how good Morgan is at it. It's bringing out more nuance in Morgan's comedic chops and it's humanizing Jenna. There was a point that I thought she was en route to being the "Meg" (Family Guy) of 30 Rock. I don't think early season Jenna and Tracy would have spent any time trying to figure out who stole Pete's whiskey and then insisting the writers hang with him and listen to his song, I don't know if Tracy would have teamed up with Kenneth to tutor Jenna in becoming trashier - they were a lot of fun.

Edited by WaltzinSpringTm, May 12, 2012 @ 7:20 PM.

parisgal3

parisgal3

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

I'm another one who will go down with the Jack/Liz ship to my death, but I am really loving Liz/Criss. I could be happy if the series ended up with them together. I had serious doubts about James Marsden, but he has been a delight! It's nice to see Liz happy. I love the Crisspoints list - especially Liz wanting to be called Khaleesi and how hard Criss has to work to get her to share food with him.

EB's role in The Hunger Games bought her a lot of good will for me and I almost forgot how much I hated Avery, but after being back for only one episode, I want her gone again. I think Avery is a fine match for one of Jack's girlfriends who challenges him for a few weeks before he gets tired of dating someone so like himself, but I can't stand her as his wife. I didn't mind at all the storyline with Diana, because she is a much better match for him than Avery! Plus, they actually had chemistry. How I miss the C.C. days!

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

I don't mind Avery in small doses. She rings true to me as Jack's wife. Alec and Hilaria are another story.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

C.C. was the high point of his guest star girlfriends. And man, has he had some egregiously horrible ones. As soon as they cast Banks I thought oh FUCK. (Hated her on Scrubs, hate her in all her generic blonde leading lady turns. Why can't she act!)

Edited by WaltzinSpringTm, May 12, 2012 @ 7:25 PM.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

CC was great, very driven herself. Jack's line that she "understood sex is a competition" still makes me smile.