30 Rock

• Please log in to reply

6760 replies to this topic

Phishbulb

Phishbulb

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 11:16 AM

Is it too early to start a thread for this show? It's not going to premiere until September, but
NBC has a promo up for it at their website, and it looks hilarious. Tina Fey has been kind of stagnating on "Weekend Update" this year, but it looks like she is right in her element with this show. Nice to see Rachel Dratch getting such a prominent role too. Tracy Morgan seems to be playing...himself.
I'm looking forward to this show a lot more than "Studio 60" now; "Studio 60" seems pretty uninteresting from the clips I have seen.

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 12:29 PM

Thanks for putting up that link! After seeing "30 Rock" I'm kinda meh about "Studio 60". I think Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin are going to really stand out.

And that scene of Tracey Mogan in his underpants and jedi sword...cracked me up!!

english toffee

english toffee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 12:30 PM

Tracy Morgan? Playing himself? It sounds like I have to watch it then.

bitterpill

bitterpill

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 12:37 PM

I adore Tina and Rachel, and hope this show does well.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 1:35 PM

Big Sorkin fan, and I'm really pulling for Studio 60, but I don't think 30 Rock is as bad as I anticipated based on others comments. I really like Tina Fey and want her to do well, and looks like she will.
Although I didn't find the K-Mart joke and the clothing jokes all that funny, but looks pretty promising.

Edited by Canadian Tyler, Jun 1, 2006 @ 1:36 PM.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 5:19 PM

It looks like that Tracy Morgan character is supposed to be a riff on Martin Lawrence, although with some of that Tracy persona mixed in as well.

Baldwin, Dratch, Morgan and Fey in the cast is enough to drag me in for the first couple of episodes. I have high hopes for this show and hope it does well. The clip was great, thanks for posting the link.

parabolic

parabolic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 7:23 PM

Yeah, the cast is just ideal, as far as I'm concerned.

The fact of Tracy Morgan playing a character called Tracy Jordan seems suggestive, but I think of the Tracy Morgan persona as a guy who consciously makes an effort to act as crazy as possible, whereas Tracy Jordan, in those brief clips, seems like a guy who is nuts and doesn't know it. Which is an interesting twist, given the usual Tracy Morgan persona. Or something. It also kind of reminds me of Eddie Murphy's character in Bowfinger ("Keep it together!"), except in that movie, everyone else was too delusional to realize that that guy was crazy. But this is all quick associations. I'll have to see more of it. Man, it's a long time until fall.

MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2006 @ 12:55 AM

That preview is hilarious. That's the one time where the promo made me actually want to see the thing.

tonks

tonks

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 8:41 PM

Just wanted to add my support. Go Tina!

Point To It

Point To It

Posted Jun 5, 2006 @ 12:19 AM

I loved the promo. I was trying to keep quiet but when Tracy was all "I'm a Jedi! I'm a Jedi!" I busted out laughing. Love me some Tina Fey so I will be tuning in and taping where necessary. I like Rachael too.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 1:44 AM

This week's "Entertainment Weekly" has a page of the pilot's script, and if the rest of the show is anything like the page shown in EW, this show should be hilarious.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 2:01 AM

I have a gripe with the show. What kind of a name is "The Girlie Show" for a sketch comedy show. What, did they not have time left over to think of a decent name for their fictional show after spending so much time wooing Alec Baldwin to join the cast?

Seriously, "The Girlie Show" is lame.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 3:53 PM

OK, I was pretty psyched about this show, but a promo I saw yesterday blew me away.

Alec Baldwin is flipping through messages handed to him by an assistant. We don't know the context of the messages. We only hear his responses, which go something like: 3 p.m. -- never again -- buy 12 -- and "5 inches, but it's thick."

I cracked up. It caught me off guard.

Really looking forward to this show. I hope it doesn't get lost in the hype of Studio 60 because I think there's room for both.

What kind of a name is "The Girlie Show" for a sketch comedy show.

Maybe that's changing? Tina Fey was quoted as saying she's redoing the Rachel Dratch character but that Dratch would still be part of the show.

hny312

hny312

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2006 @ 1:40 PM

I saw a promo for it for the first time last night. I was really looking forward to this show, but I wasn't impressed. The promo didn't seem funny to me at all. I'm hoping that I just missed something, and that it will be better when I see a whole episode, but I'm a little worried.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2006 @ 7:31 PM

I saw a promo for it for the first time last night. I was really looking forward to this show, but I wasn't impressed.

I'm loving the promos for 30 Rock!

I watched Studio 60. It looks really good if a bit preachy. I'm not seeing the "fun" side of SNL in it, however. It's more topical -- censorship and corporate America infringing on our rights.

However, I'm hoping 30 Rock brings the funny.

It is a bit worrisome that Studio 60 is getting out of the blocks about three weeks before 30 Rock. If the public only has enough appetite for one SNL-inspired show, the decision might have been made by the time this airs.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 10:37 PM

It does look pretty good, I hope they can pull it off and make it good.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 11:16 AM

Inside Move: Dratch latched to multiple 'Rock' roles - Thesp will play wide variety of characters

Femvamp

Femvamp

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2006 @ 4:25 PM

This is one of a few new shows that I am really looking foward too. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I have a crush on Tina Fey. I'm really really hoping the show does well.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2006 @ 4:45 PM

I'm still hoping the show does well, but I'm disappointed that Rachel Dratch apparently got the shaft.

First we hear that they're switching Rachel Dratch's role to multiple characters in several episodes because they've decided to downplay the show within a show. The next day, they announce that Jane Krakowski has signed on to play the lead of the show within a show, which now doesn't sound downsized.

Something doesn't quite smell right about it.

Gracelessly

Gracelessly

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2006 @ 5:01 PM

I'm not at all interested in watching anything with Jane Krakowski.

funkymunky

funkymunky

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2006 @ 5:20 PM

I loved the promos for this show: "So when do I get to meet Aaron Sorkin?" Hehe. I'm looking forward to 30 Rock and Studio 60. I was never a big Tracy Morgan fan when he was on SNL (except for Brian Fellow's Safari Planet!), but we'll see how he does here.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2006 @ 9:00 PM

Something doesn't quite smell right about it.

My theory is that Dratch didn't test well for audiences so they replaced her with the more photogenic Krakowski to be the glamorous lead in the show-within-a-show.

Edited by jayseyfield, Aug 19, 2006 @ 9:00 PM.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2006 @ 10:26 PM

My theory is that Dratch didn't test well for audiences so they replaced her with the more photogenic Krakowski to be the glamorous lead in the show-within-a-show.

Which would be pretty ironic considering the premise of the show.

And I'm sick of networks catering to test audiences.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2006 @ 11:55 PM

Rachel Dratch is so good and funny. It is really too bad her role was downgraded. I like Tina Fey so I hope it this show works but all I seem to hear about it is how it is being retooled in some fashion. That just doesn't seem to bode very well for it... Hopefully, they are really improving the show, and not just making it bland and inoffensive.

Edited by Morning Angel, Aug 20, 2006 @ 12:02 AM.

parabolic

parabolic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 1:21 PM

I'm a big fan of Rachel Dratch's, and the fact that she's going to be on this show is one of the key reasons I plan to watch it. However, from the little online previews, I didn't think the Jenna role really suited her, and it does seem like it will suit Jane Krakowski. I don't see it as a downgrade for Dratch if she's getting to do fun things that suit her.

Anyway, she's off making a movie.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 9:14 PM

I just saw the most wonderful promo for 30 Rock -- it may not be new, but nobody's mentioned in the thread yet: Alec Baldwin asking when he gets to meet "Aaron" (Sorkin), and when told that this is the other show about late-night TV, asks desperately, "But this is the one Amanda Peet is on, right?" Really funny, to use that confusion as part of the advertising. And Baldwin is fabulous with it.

SanDiego

SanDiego

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 12:38 PM

Alec Baldwin is comic genius. Maybe they can get both him and Christopher Walken on together.

secretagentman

secretagentman

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2006 @ 1:50 PM

Yes the show looks funny, yes I'm gonna watch it, the whole cast rocks my world, including Tracy Morgan, but if I see one more cockadoodee trailer telling me how funny it is before showing me how funny it is, I'm gonna fricken lose it.

english toffee

english toffee

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 1:12 AM

I'm totally in agreement with prefering the likes of Rachel Dratch to Jane Krakowski.

I saw Tracy Morgan on the Emmys and remembered how much I want to bear his children.... siiighhh.

DebbieM

DebbieM

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2006 @ 1:23 PM

This show has all the signs of a real winner!

Minor quibbles: I FAR prefer Rachel Dratch to Jane Krakowski. The cast seemed to be perfect as it was - a nice combination of actors - and Krakowski just throws the whole thing off. Rachel Dratch is far more talented, and I hope her role(s) haven't shrunk to nothing. Also - They changed the time from 8:30 pm to 8:00 pm, which sucks for me since I'm rarely home from work by 8, but could manage to be flying in the door for 8:30. Obviously this is my own personal situation, but I'm disappointed. Just sayin'.

More importantly, I adore Alec Baldwin, and this seems like a fantastic fit for him. And for Tina Fey. I have no feelings re Tracy Morgan one way or the other, but he seems pretty funny from what I've seen. Early reviews pretty much seem to love this show. I can't wait!!!

Edited by DebbieM, Sep 2, 2006 @ 1:24 PM.