The Obits Thread: It's the End, but...

• Please log in to reply

36 replies to this topic

Aravis

Aravis

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Sir Patrick Moore dies aged 89

He was new series rather than old (appearing as himself in The Eleventh Hour) but don't think there's a thread for new series deaths, and his personality seems a much better fit with classic who.

Always loved Sir Patrick - he was an amazing person and character, old romantic, world record holder, mapped the moon for Nasa, great xylophone player, accompanied Einstein on the piano... just read his obituary here

Edited by Aravis, Dec 9, 2012 @ 12:22 PM.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

God, I hate the way that important Doctor Who people keep dying. OK, so Raymond Cusick had a good and long span, but it's still feels as though we're losing a lot of people right now. Ray was a designer, one of many to work on Who, and he certainly wasn't the one that was given the important decisions about how Who would look in it's early days. But he turned up to design a show written by an angry ex-Hancock writer, and he made a legend. Yes, Terry Nation conceived and wrote the Daleks, but would they have captured a nations children, and made Doctor Who a fixture, without Ray's designs? When you think of a Dalek, what's the first thing to come to mind? The bumps? The eye-stalk? The plunger? All Ray, and all he got for it was a standard BBC designer's fee.

Still, he also gave us the Voord, which I'm sure must have made him so proud, not to mention a host of other quality productions, including When The Boat Comes In, The Pallisers and Play for Today. Thanks, Ray. You were a lovely man, from what I've heard, and you made a siloutte that will terrify generations yet to come. Thank you.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 8:41 AM

Kate O'Mara. Illness, the article says. The article is wrong about one thing, though. It was Peter Davison in Mark of the Rani. And she later played the Rani in at least one audio story.

Either way, she was great and will be missed.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 9:52 AM

No, Mark Of The Rani was during Colin's tenure. It was her debut episode, which got totally taken over by The Master. Least she still ended up making an impression by kicking him in his Time Lords.

I had always hope she would pop up in the current series to regenerate into a new version of the character. Would have liked to see her one last go.

I'm sad, now.

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 3:58 PM

No, Mark Of The Rani was during Colin's tenure. It was her debut episode, which got totally taken over by The Master. Least she still ended up making an impression by kicking him in his Time Lords.

I had always hope she would pop up in the current series to regenerate into a new version of the character. Would have liked to see her one last go.

I'm sad, now

She made another appearance as The Rani in Sylvester McCoy's debut as the 7th Doctor in Time and the Rani. If they can bring back the Master time and again in the new Who, surely the Rani can be brought back in a new regeneration.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 4:39 PM

No, Mark Of The Rani was during Colin's tenure.

Yes, I realised that way too late. Damn. But she was very good in the role.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 6:19 PM

If they can bring back the Master time and again in the new Who, surely the Rani can be brought back in a new regeneration.

I was just saying that I would have liked for them to have brought her back to do the regeneration. Just a thing I thought would be nice to see, like how they brought back McGann to regenerate in Night Of The Doctor.