The Obits Thread: It's the End, but...

• Please log in to reply

36 replies to this topic

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 2:04 AM

Morbid, I know, but with a show that has a 43 year history it's inevitable that pioneers from the show's early days and creators of some beloved stories are going to pass away. I think a place to announce those deaths and remember the happiness their work gave us is proabably appropriate.

The particular event that moved me to create this thread is the death of Peter Bryant. He was Associate Producer on 4-8: "The Faceless Ones" and 4-9: "The Evil of the Daleks" acting as Script Editor on the later as well as 5-3: "The Ice Warriors" and 5-4: "The Enemy of the World".

During a turbulent changeover in production teams he became Producer for one story 5-1: "The Tomb of the Cybermen", before being given the job full time from 5-5: "The Web of Fear" and leaving at the end of the Troughton era with 6-6: "The Space Pirates", a new producer being brought in for Troughton's very last story to provide continuity for the Troughton-Pertwee changover.

It seems a tragic shame that, of the 75 episodes he was involved in, only 42 survive today but those 42 include some of the best Doctor Who ever made and we should, perhaps, be thankful for that.

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2006 @ 1:50 PM

The Guardian reports that David Maloney, one of the most respected and prolific of the classic series' directors, has died.

In addition to producing the first three seasons of Blake's 7, his long career with the BBC as a director and producer also allowed him the chance to direct many Doctor Who serials throughout the '60s and '70s; happily, all of them survive, and a staggering number are classics (among them "The Mind Robber", "The War Games", "Genesis of the Daleks", "Planet of Evil" and "The Talons of Weng-Chiang"), thanks in no small part to his pacy, assured direction.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

Nicholas Courtney 1929-2011.

He passed away aged 81.

RIP Brigadier.

Edited by cutecouple, Feb 22, 2011 @ 11:44 PM.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 2:55 AM

Bugger. The stories Nick was in weren't usual very good, but he was never less then wonderful, as the Brig saved the world with three extras and a filing cabinet. And he seemed like a throughly decent person as well.

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 2:57 AM

Nicholas Courtney was the James Doohan or DeForest Kelley of Doctor Who: stalwart, unshakable, generous, droll, and lively, the best foil a lead actor could hope for. His history with the show stretched back to the third season in 1965, and he was always happy to make return appearances, giving him the chance to make his presence felt among a host of Doctors. His passing ends an era, and I hope the new season has room for a nice tribute like the one Barry Letts got with "The Waters of Mars".

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 9:50 AM

Michael Gough has died at the age of 94. He'll be far better remembered for his appearances in far better productions, but he was the titular Celestial Toymaker back in 1965. He was also the pen-waving-and-treacherous-member-of-the-High-Council Hedin in Arc of Infinity. Neither of them really showed of his talents, but he was always very watchable.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

Gough was one of those actors who seemed to be in every other thing which came out of the BBC in the 1960s. He was a great actor who made you forget he was acting. No higher compliment can be given.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 3:31 PM

Liz Sladen Dies of Cancer I'm gonna go cry now.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

It just doesn't seem right. Even after all these years I can't process that these people who've given us so much are gone. Elisabeth was so beautiful, aging gracefully, still recognizable, still the old friend I met so many years ago when I stumbled onto some science fiction show on PBS and the Sci-Fi Channel. All those wonderful memories of Sarah, and the Doctor, the Brigadier, Harry Sullivan, they made you laugh, and sometimes want to cry, with their silliness and seriousness and wistfulness.

Sarah Jane bridged the gap again and again, effortlessly. Between Jo and the last days of Pertwee. Between the Third and Fourth Doctors. Between the last days of UNIT and the Doctor's return to space and time. Between the old Who and the new Who. And finally, between the Tenth and Eleventh Doctor.

Was there ever a more moving relationship between any Doctor and companion, and one that spanned so many incarnations? How superb Lis was with Tom Baker - I could watch anything with them, just laughing, joking, caring. Their time together is one of the most joyous and brilliant stints in the history of Doctor Who.

What I loved most about Lis was the quiet heartbreak and pathos she played, which was even more powerful because she was usually stiff upper lip, get moving. One I will always remember is in K9 and Company, when she learns she has a gift from the Doctor. She smiles, wistfully, and says something like, "Oh Doctor...you did remember me after all."

At least her work reached a whole new generation, a generation who got to see her better than ever, bridging the gap one last time. It's something I never thought possible and now I'm so incredibly grateful for the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I'm glad Sarah can say hello to Harry again, and the Brigadier, and so many others.

I just wish we didn't have to say goodbye to Elisabeth Sladen.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 4:32 PM

Damn. This is turning into a horrible year for iconic Who actors.

Anlyn

Anlyn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 7:17 PM

Dammit. I saw the thread active and my first thought was "no, not Frazer Hines". My heart dropped when I saw Lis' name. I am totally blown away by this. Peace to Elisabeth Sladen, and to everyone who knew and loved her.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 8:24 PM

She never got old, to me.

Her goodbye scene with Tom Baker, mostly adlibbed, is a beautiful moment between two pros.

Sarah Jane was smart, talented, and the model for many a girlfriend...even the wife to some extent.

RIP, Ms. Sladen. Thoughts and prayers to your family.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:23 AM

Dalek voice guy Roy Skelton has passed:

http://www.nerdist.c...y-skelton-dies/

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 2:29 PM

Man, he was great. RIP, sir.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

I don't think this has been mentioned here yet - Peter Halliday has passed away, folk might remember him from a string of classic Who stories including The Invasion (Packahhhhh), Carnival of Monsters, City of Death, and a tiny guest stint as the blind vicar in Remembrance of the Daleks. Condolences to his family and friends.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 2:28 AM

And another one bites the dust - veteran actor and regular classic Who guest start Philip Madoc has died at the age of 77.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

That's a shame. Philip was always entertaining and watchable, even if the stories he was in...weren't. Time to watch the last few episodes of The War Games, I think.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

A fine actor, and great on "Doctor Who." This seemed to come out of nowhere. Colin Baker tweeted last night that they had just sat together at a signing two weeks ago.

Sad. "The Brain of Morbius" was one of the first stories I saw. I loved it.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

RIP Caroline John, who played Liz Shaw in Jon Pertwee's first season. Very sad news. :(

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

I loved Liz Shaw. She was smart and held her own against Three. Plus, stunningly beautiful. A 20-something scientist friend of mine who happens to be a woman summed Liz up nicely, "Damn, she's fierce."

RIP, Ms. John. We know you did more than "Doctor Who," but that's what we'll mourn for most.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

Damn!! Will excellent people from 70's Who please stop dying?

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 4:09 AM

I'm so upset about this. I'm even more upset than I was with Lis Sladen. I guess it's the way they have hit so quickly - Nicholas Courtney, then Lis, now Caroline John. Only a few years ago I remember Caroline and Nicholas doing the commentary for Spearhead from Space and laughing about how he looked in his uniform. Now they're both gone.

Caroline was wonderful as Liz but I think her best work was as Liz's stark, callous, but ultimately decent doppleganger in Inferno. Seeing Elizabeth slowly begin to respect the Doctor, ending in her shocking murder of the insane Brigade Leader, is a moment I will never forget.

My favorite Liz story wasn't even one on the show. It was a Brief Encounter, from Doctor Who Magazine, about twenty years ago. The Fourth Doctor showed up to take her on a trip in the TARDIS, and she ate a jelly baby. It was just so surprising and sweet, and innocent.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 3:44 AM

Damn!! Will excellent people from 70's Who please stop dying?

Not just yet. Mary Tamm (aka Romana One) has just died.

And considering one of the few things confirmed for the Olympics opening ceremony is the theme song from Doctor Who, this couldn't have come at a worse time.

Edited by SnideAsides, Jul 26, 2012 @ 3:52 AM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 4:03 AM

That's really sad to hear. I was just reading up on her this morning.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 4:39 AM

That is so sad to hear about Mary Tamm. Her Romana was one of my favourite companions, so intelligent, classy and stunningly beautiful.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

Please don't tell me Mary Tamm died :(

Mary was one of the most gorgeous women ever on Doctor Who, or on television, or anywhere. She was delicious as Romana. I loved Leela and I was so annoyed with the way they handled her exit, but as soon as I saw this endlessly tall woman with such beautiful skin and hair and eyes and flowing white gown, I was fascinated.

Not only was Mary beautiful, she had a rich voice, charisma, good dramatic and comedic skills.

Mary complained about the writing for Romana, and it's not difficult to see why, when you get a glimpse of her potential in some of those stories.

My all time favorite story for her (and for the show in general) is Stones of Blood. Sure, it's silly to see Romana dangling off a cliff, but I love all the time she has in that story sitting and talking with Beatrix Lehman. I love how her cool presence is offset by Vivien, who is also very sleek, but boiling with rage underneath that simpering grin.

Her Romana was always an equal to the Doctor, yet, she also grew, and learned. It was a delicate balance but Mary always made it believable.

Thank you for what you gave us, Mary, and say hi to Lis, Caroline, Nick, and so many others.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Man, they're dropping like flies lately. Very sad. :(

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

Damn. That's another tragic and premature loss, of a lady that always struck me as being clever and funny. We were lucky to have her in our family.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 4:17 AM

Tom Baker has posted a very touching tribute to Mary Tamm (and Elisabeth Sladen and Caroline John) on his website.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

Mary Tamm's husband dies a few hours after giving her eulogy.

I can't imagine what their family is going through.