Old Nine Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

74 replies to this topic

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2006 @ 10:44 PM

This ABC show coming in the fall follows the lives of nine people who are linked by being taken hostage in a bank robbery. In the next 56 hours, something happens that changes their lives forever. Where the show goes from there is anyone's guess, but the ad that aired during Lost had great atmosphere to it. Could be great if they don't bollox it up.

Anakela21

Anakela21

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV I like: Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy (sometimes), House, WWE (yep- chick that watches wrestling), cheesy Lifetime movies, Desperate Housewives (not season 2), My So-Called Life, Lost (season one), Silk Stalkings. TV I don't: 'reality' tv- I don't do Survivor or American Idol or any of that...although I did enjoy the first season of Queer Eye. I am also into movies, theatre, the Dixie Chicks and Metallica.

Posted May 24, 2006 @ 10:58 PM

I just was looking for this thread, as I too was pulled in by that promo shown during Lost, so I googled this show- it's from Hank "Without a Trace" Steinberg, so if it's as good as WaT the early years I am so there!

Some more info on the show can be found here.

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2006 @ 2:32 AM

Not only does this have an interesting concept, it also has Tim Daly. I am so watching this show come September.

Edited by argrow, May 25, 2006 @ 5:30 AM.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2006 @ 7:29 AM

Ooh, glad someone started a thread for this. I was at first intrigued because Camille Guaty, who was on Prison Break this year, is on the show. But the more I learn about it, the more excited I am. It seems like a very cool concept.

Edited by Pop Culture Freak, May 25, 2006 @ 7:30 AM.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2006 @ 8:09 AM

Yeah, I'm checking it mostly for Camille as well, sniff, don't leave Maricruz! But I have a feeling this could be really good. Though let's hope it's another Lost or Prison Break rather than another Invasion (successwise).

As somebody already mentioned in the PB thread some clips for The Nine can be found here.

Edited by LolaRuns, May 25, 2006 @ 8:10 AM.

Tookie

Tookie

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2006 @ 1:18 PM

I was going to watch this anyway, big Tim Daly fan, but the clips made me even more exicted. It has a really cool feel to it.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2006 @ 1:39 PM

So, does anyone else really get reminded of Lord of the Rings by that title?

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2006 @ 1:51 PM

This is one of a couple shows that I've been looking forward to in the fall. The summary of the show sounded good. Watched the clips of the show and that hooked me in and watched the promo last night during Lost and I am so on board with this show. Can't wait for it to premiere.

Bulldog

Bulldog

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2006 @ 10:51 PM

This is the new show that I'm probably looking the most forward to this fall. Should make a great companion piece to Lost.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2006 @ 4:14 PM

http://abc.go.com/fs...ml?channel=Lost

You have to click on one of the other Fall Previews to get to "The Nine". The preview on there looks great. This show is gonna rock!

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2006 @ 5:17 PM

I watched a few of the clips available on tv.com - I thought the hostage scenes looked great, but I wasn't into the scene of the group in the restaurant. However, the preview on abc.com does look pretty fantastic.

So the basic format of the show is that the first 10 minutes show you another part of the hostage crisis then the remaining time focuses on the aftermath. Could be interesting.

I'm certainly looking forward to it, I'm just a little annoyed that the show stole Kim Raver from 24!

Plus, any show with Michael O'Neill is gold!

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2006 @ 6:57 PM

What's the deal with ABC making former tv hunks into doctors on there shows? First Matthew Fox on Lost, then Patrick Dempsey on Grey's and now Scott Wolf on The Nine. Now if his last name happens to be Shephard also there definately some kind of conspiracy going on lol.

henry8

henry8

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 3:05 PM

This is definitely a show I'm going to start watching in the Fall, but I'm wondering about the premise and the longevity of the show. I was looking for an interview/article by any of TPTB behind the show. If anybody's found anything, I'd appreciate a link. It's not common in the States to have a show specifically designed to last one year, but this show seems to fit that mold.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 3:22 PM

but I'm wondering about the premise and the longevity of the show.

That's what I was thinking, it sounds like more of a movie or miniseries than a tv show.

I mean how much can you stretch out being held hostage and the fallout from it?

Here's what I'm thinking the show is like;

Character 1: Oh I'm so traumatized from being held hostage! They wouldn't let us go to the bathroom!

*flashback* Character 1: Can I go to the bathroom?

Bankrobber: NO!

Character 2: I'm so hungry, they wouldn't let us have food!

*flashback*

Character 2: Can I have some food?

Bankrobber: NO!

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 4:31 PM

I'm also having trouble figuring out if there's going to be any supernatural aspects to it. The preview during the Lost finale had a definite horror/X Files vibe to it, but maybe that was just to hook in that specific show's fans as nothing else points to this.

CaliforniaSun

CaliforniaSun

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 5:45 PM

This show looks great. Although, I would have preferred to have kept Invasion...

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

What could have been so interesting in the bank robbery that it would require flashbacks over a 22 episode period? I mean short of the bankrobbers being aliens?

Plus looking ahead how would you continue this show for a second or third season even if it got that far?

I don't even get why you would greenlight anyshow with such a limited premise.

Tookie

Tookie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 1, 2006 @ 10:36 PM

I think the bank robbery is going to be a small part of the show. More of dealing with post traumatic stress and the aftermath. They were in the bank for 52 hours and each show will start with only 10 minutes of the robbery. That seems like it could last a long time. I know I will be tuning in each week to see a glimpse of what happened.

oufti

oufti

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2006 @ 2:57 AM

The preview look good,

I'm so happy to watch Scott Wolf again!

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2006 @ 3:05 AM

Well if there are several things happening at once (the hostages being seperated, the police, the robbers amongst each other) then telling 10 mintues of *everything* that happened during these 10 minutes to every character could easily take most of the episode.

But from the previews it seems more likely that it will be almost mystery like. We start off after the hostage crisis and somebody is trying to find out *what really happened*, like some people going Stockholm or using the situation to settle old scores and blame it on the kidnappers or stuff like that.

Mich39

Mich39

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

It's about 9 people who's lives intersect at a bank robbery/hostage taking and how they are now coping with the after affects. I suspect that flashbacks will be a big part of the series as they deal with each individual (The Nine) throughout the show. I believe it's going to be less to no action and all "oh poor me, my life has changed forever" crap.

henry8

henry8

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 8:45 PM

John Billingsley, another cast addition to The Nine.
That makes two alumni from both Prison Break and 24.

Benji

Benji

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 11:20 PM

I don't get this show's concept and think it has potential to be a complete mess.

henry8

henry8

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2006 @ 12:29 AM

I get the concept, but aren't sure how they're going to sustain it. I am sick to death of procedural TV so I'm willing to try something new for a change and this sounds different. I think you're right about the potential for the show to go either way, and we'll probably know in the first episode whether it's going to work or not. I for one am happy to see more than cookie cutter crap show up on this fall's schedule, and the cast looks good, so I'm going to give this one a chance.

Still Ill

Still Ill

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2006 @ 5:46 AM

I don't get this show's concept and think it has potential to be a complete mess.

Could be worse, could be Daybreak.

I was pretty excited about this show but a couple of things in the ABC promo clip irritated me, namely the overexposed look of the film and the chorus of cliched Angels music during at the cemetery shot. Also, do you want us to love characters that push their way into anywhere when it's closing? No amount of Wolfian dimpleage is going to diminish the hate from anyone who has worked in a service industry. But perhaps that's the point?

Still hope it's awesome.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2006 @ 3:06 PM

Pilot Review

http://www.thefutonc...spx?id=20060608

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2006 @ 6:54 PM

Very strong review. I like that the show seems to be more about character than plot. And the reviewer liked Kim Raver a lot which is always good! I'll definitely be watching the pilot anyway.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2006 @ 10:24 PM

I've thought about the premise of the show and I've come to the conclusion that the problem is in the setting. There's just no mystery in a bank, I would've preferred a forest.

It might be a bit too Blair Witch but if they had a the premise being "Nine people went into a forest, something terrible happened and they were never the same again" would be a heck a lot more exciting than a hostage crisis in a bank. There's only so many things that could've happened in a bank but if you mention forest your mind goes to all these horrible things that could've happened.

Then you could slowly reveal what happened to the survivors and having the show play out showing snippets of what occured until the big shocking revelation at the end of the season.

ashfett

ashfett

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 6:12 PM

I'm surprised that Futon Critic is reviewing this (and other) shows, since all of the pilot screeners we've gotten at my work say, "Not for review" on them. However, in an unofficial way, I will say this: I really dug the pilot of The Nine and it's one of the shows I'm most excited about now for the fall.

angiebee

angiebee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 7:21 PM

I don't even get why you would greenlight anyshow with such a limited premise.

What I've seen of it, I loved it. But I saw a reel of the new ABC shows and I think three of them, maybe four all have limited premises. It's looks like the days of hoping your show reaches 100 episodes to get to syndication is over and done. It's like they want to start off shows with a bang and wrap them up within three seasons.