Desperate Housewives: A Trip Down Memory Lane

• Please log in to reply

1964 replies to this topic

hugafish

hugafish

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

I knew her cancer had come back, but I didn't know she was so close to death. Definitely adds another layer to the finale, it wasn't just the death of a character, but likely a goodbye for the actors too.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

Sad to hear about Joosten's passing. She was a delight to watch on WW and DH. I had hoped to see her again on another series. May she rest in peace.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

I think that given the PSA that aired right after the end of series finale, Joosten approved and supported the storyline. I think it makes watching the episode more poignant. RIP.

dorakpasa

dorakpasa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

Kathryn demonstrated her strength and grace. Very sad.

Evs

Evs

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

]I can't imagine filming your death scene when you are really dying of the same disease that your character had.

That was my first thought too. My second was that, besides how incredibly difficult it must have been for her emotionally, it must have been very difficult for her physically as well. She must have been very weak by the finale, and just getting up and getting to the set must have been incredibly draining. I would like to think that her storyline must have meant a lot to her, for her to put whatever strength she had left into filming it. Mrs McClusky's death becomes so much more sad now. Maybe those amazing scenes were her final gift to all of us, and a chance to say goodbye to both her character and to her.

I read that she got a couple of Best Supporting Actress Emmys for DH. I'm not sure about the time frame, but it would be nice to see her win one last Emmy for her work in the final season, especially in the finale.

Edited by Evs, Jun 3, 2012 @ 9:18 AM.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

So sad, her character McClusky was one of the highlights of the series for me. I was always more interested in what McClusky was up to than some of the main characters. I hope she gets an Emmy nomination for the last show. She was awesome.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

I read that she got a couple of Best Supporting Actress Emmys for DH. I'm not sure about the time frame, but it would be nice to see her win one last Emmy for her work in the final season, especially in the finale.

I believe she's won two Emmys for guest star. I'm not sure what the qualifications are for that category vs. the supporting actress category.

Evs

Evs

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I believe she's won two Emmys for guest star. I'm not sure what the qualifications are for that category vs. the supporting actress category.

Oops. I should have read that article more closely! Thanks for the correct info. Either way, I hope she gets another one, whatever the category!

Julsie

Julsie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

I just now heard about Kathryn Joosten's passing. (It's not until a news story reaches Yahoo's front page that I know about it.)

I'm glad that I taped the final Desperate Housewives. I had already watched the death/birth scene multiple times... and cried each time. Now it's really going to be poignant.

Rest in peace, Ms. Joosten. May perpetual light shine upon you.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

She may not have realized her condition was so bad, either. Her IMDB page lists her as being cast in a film that is in pre-production. So she was still signing on for more work.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

ABC was classy enough to post this tribute on the front page of abc.com.

Julsie

Julsie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

Just watched the Wonderful, Wonderful montage again and yep, it's much more poignant knowing that Mrs. McCluskey really has died. If you watch it closely, see how the lyrics fit what is happening at each moment. When the lyrics say something about "it's just me and you" they show Karen and her husband. When it's something about a joyful moment, they show Julie and her baby. I'm sure that was all deliberate.

I think that montage may be the best few minutes of Desperate Housewives ever.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

"Kayla" is now a stock day trader.

Um...... Interesting choice.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

I liked the final, but I think they made the wrong move by doing Remember as the second season final, the flashbacks in Remember would of been perfect to have been used in the series final. I like that they made an effort to doing the Mary Alice/Martha flashback in the final, but it felt so forced and added on for the sack of it.

missed opportunities were actually using Mary Alice way more than they did, I actually thought the 100th episode should of been completely flashbacks to the past, they should of did a whole episode leading to her death instead of a random guy nobody cared for. I'm surprised they didn't do a couple of episodes set completely in the past when Mary Alice was alive.

Yellow42758

Yellow42758

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

Here's a link to an editorial I wrote on the decline of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES for my new blog: http://jacksonupperc...-wisteria-lane/