Desperate Housewives: A Trip Down Memory Lane

• Please log in to reply

1964 replies to this topic

CaliforniaSun

CaliforniaSun

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

TGG could get away with it because it was a comedy, but DH really isn't.

But it is a nighttime soap opera, in the same vein as Dynasty or Knot's Landing. No matter how fantastic or dark this show can be sometimes, it's always been a soap and in my opinion it's probably the best ever. (Dynasty and Knot's Landing ARE amazing though.)

p23lane

p23lane

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I guess I just don't understand why it's odd that Kayla is never brought up again. She went to live with her grandparents after doing horrible, horrible things to Lynette and Tom and their family, well after the age where she should know the difference between right and wrong. I would never bring her up again either. So to me it's not particularly odd that she's not been mentioned. That's what people do with manipulative little shrews like Kayla.

And really there's nothing you can say about her that will do anything meaningful to "wrap up" her story. If Tom went to visit, we'd have to hear about how Lynette felt and the conflict there--if they were doing it right, which is not really a given with this show--so it really couldn't just be that she was "mentioned."

But I think we all agree on the continuity problem. Tom and Lynette met in an elevator at work and started screwing, except for that time when she was in college? What the hell, show.

blue123

blue123

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

I would say DH is midway between and soap and a soap parody. It's too silly for me to care about continuity, or to remember past characters. There's no doubt the writers are lazy as hell though.

KLS

KLS

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

I'm not sure what time in college you mean, p23lane. It was never said that Tom and Lynette knew each other in college.

DBinLondon, Really the only thing I saw as contradicting history in Tom and Lynette's first date was Tom's hair. It occured shortly after they met working together years after college (which was what was previously established). Should they let HR know was brought up. Tom was still 27, 28 ish and Lynette pushing 30 (like before).

Edited by KLS, May 5, 2012 @ 5:46 PM.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

DBinLondon, Really the only thing I saw as contradicting history in Tom and Lynette's first date was Tom's hair. It occured shortly after they met working together years after college (which was what was previously established). Should they let HR know was brought up. Tom was still 27, 28 ish and Lynette pushing 30 (like before).

I wonder how that works considering they've been married for 23 years. No way is Lynette 53 (not when Tom was 45 last season). The continuity on this show shouldn't even be discussed anymore, it's such a mess.

KLS

KLS

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

It's definately confusing. Close to 50 would make sense for Lynette if you add on 12 years to her mid to late 30s she was supposed to be when the show started. Late 40s fits if Tom was 45 last season as she is 2 years older than him.

But 53 wouldn't be far off at all if she and the marriage was aged at the rate the twins were. She was over 30 when the twins were born, She was very late 20s or 30 when they married.

Edited by KLS, May 5, 2012 @ 7:04 PM.

p23lane

p23lane

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

KLS, my understanding of the new and improved timeline is this:

Lynette and Renee were college roommates.
After college Renee married some football player.
Sometime between Tom and Lynette dating and getting married, they had a fight and Renee slept with Tom.

Perhaps got the wrong impression but I was given to understand that Tom and Lynette started dating in college or shortly after--not when Lynette was a top power businesswoman as the Pilot portrays. Tom's ridiculous hair certainly support this view, as does the "new math" introduced this and last season by the show. According to Tom, Season 3 is their 9th anniversary. It's been 6-7 years since then, which only adds up to 17 years, at most. Any way you add it up doesn't make sense, though, whether Tom met Lynette in college, as suggested in the Renee storyline, or if you take her numbers for gospel.

It's all very slapdash and quite annoying, the writers should be ashamed.

KLS

KLS

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

I think you can credit a few more than 17 years even based on the messed up math.

Season 3 9 years.
Season 4 10 years
season 5 About 16 years by the time it's over (5 year jump, add a year)

I think between seasons 6,7 and 8 we'd come up with another 3 years.

Probably close to 19.

Edited by KLS, May 5, 2012 @ 7:12 PM.

okiedohkiepokie

okiedohkiepokie

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

Well, no matter how long Tom and Lynette have been married, the continuity is screwy.

In season one, it was intimated that they met at work. Specifically, when Tom was dating Annabelle he met Lynette in the elevator. That was what originally spurred on their relationship. He told Annabelle he didn't want to commit and then does, but with Lynette.

Flash forward to season 7, and Lynette and Tom were college sweet hearts as well? And then there was a trial separation wherein Tom slept with Renee. Except that doesn't make any sense!
----

As for the loose ends, I think there are some viewers who want a return of Kayla or Art the pedophile, etc. For the same reasons we wanted to see Andrew and Danielle - except eh problem is, the comebacks of Julie, Dandrew, and whomever else is going to be coming back is that it is totally for the wrong reasons. For Orson, it seemed as if the writers had no idea who wrote the letters and decided it was Orson when Kyle was available. Literally, he dropped in, did whatever plot contrivance he was brought in for, and then stormed off. Pretty poor, if you ask me.

I will agree with DB in London. DH deserves the accolades and the respect that LOST got and Grey's Anatomy got. I want a retrospective or at least a series recap.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:40 AM

The same goes for the Applewhites, Creepy Dave, the Bolens, etc. Those storylines were resolved. The only "loose end" that really existed on the show was the fate of Felicia Tilman, up until she returned, because they truly just dropped her off somewhere with the implication that she would be returning eventually.

I agree. All those storyline mention above were resolved. What I think they should mention is Kayla, since she was Tom's daughter. He should have some contact with her,and Evan, Karl's son. Even's mother left him according to Karl,or dead according to Even. Either way it was set up like Karl was single parent and had no one else to care for Evan, who would be Julie half's brother. They are the only two the show should show what happen to. I would love to find out if Sam really was Rex's child ,or not. If so, why didn't Rex mention him,or provide for him?

As for the loose ends, I think there are some viewers who want a return of Kayla or Art the pedophile, etc. For the same reasons we wanted to see Andrew and Danielle - except eh problem is, the comebacks of Julie, Dandrew, and whomever else is going to be coming back is that it is totally for the wrong reasons. For Orson, it seemed as if the writers had no idea who wrote the letters and decided it was Orson when Kyle was available. Literally, he dropped in, did whatever plot contrivance he was brought in for, and then stormed off. Pretty poor, if you ask me.

I disagree. I believe Orson was always going to be the one who wrote the note,and who ran over chuck. The season prior to this season Orson was disappointed that Bree cover up Andrew's crime, while she gave him the option of going to jail,or saving his marriage. He left Bree because of it. Orson was the only logical person to have wrote the letter since the letter was only address to Bree. She was the only one who receive a letter,and no one else knew the detail of Mrs. Huber letter beside Paul, and Bree who would have share the details with her husband. Plus the way Chuck was ran over, was just like the way Orson ran over Mike. The real mystery was what was Ben involvement. Of course he turned out to be a good guy. But he didn't seem like one since he help cover up a murder. But I think the show always intended on Orson being the one who wrote the letter.

KLS

KLS

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

If Gaby and Carlos want to cut back why not put the girls back in public school? No need to pay private school tuition.

Julsie

Julsie

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

Amazing to see how Doris Roberts look even better on this show than in "Everybody Loves Raymond". Did she lose a little weight, did something with her make-up? She looks very good!

I thought the exact opposite, although I agree that she looks different. She's obviously had some sort of work done that's given her the side effect of being unable to open her mouth normally. She talked like she was trying not to move her lips. It was very disconcerting.

I stand with you all in solidarity, though, that this season and the upcoming finale are disappointingly sucktacular.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

Describing Penny's soccer game, Tom said, "Isn't it cute how her generation thinks that sport is interesting?" I laughed at that. The only memorable thing of the episode.

karra

karra

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

I thought the exact opposite, although I agree that she looks different. She's obviously had some sort of work done that's given her the side effect of being unable to open her mouth normally. She talked like she was trying not to move her lips. It was very disconcerting.

She had a stroke a few years back. So, no. Not work.

Edited by karra, May 6, 2012 @ 9:50 PM.

okiedohkiepokie

okiedohkiepokie

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Thoughts on tonight's episode? It was pretty boring, and poorly written... Tom and his boss? And even worse, Tom seeing Lynette through the window -- are you serious? Susan was a total bore. I enjoyed some parts of the trial. I love how the writers decided to remember this week and last that Susan is a poor cook. Felicia Tillman certainly didn't think so.

I wish the series was ending on a high note. But instead, I am so disappointed. The plots are uninspired. I am singularly looking forward to the end next week just to see how it ends. But really, I am itching to get off this roller coaster. The only good part of the episode was the absolute end. Will Bree betray Gaby? Does anyone even care?

Edited by okiedohkiepokie, May 6, 2012 @ 10:38 PM.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

What exactly was the point of this episode? Nothing happened.

Tom can't recognize his longtime friend and neighbor from the back?

blue123

blue123

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

That was stupid.

Even the worst lawyer in the world wouldn't have Bree testifying. Especially as he knows Bree's hiding something.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

I love this episode! I love it because Tom dump Jane!! I was waiting for that. During their entire time Tom and Jane was together I never once got the idea that he loved Jane. Everything was moving way too fast. Jane didn't seem like she was really in love with Tom, she seem more like she just interested in him choosing her over Lynette. I knew Tom didn't love Jane when Jane told Tom that she loved him,and he didn't say it back,and when Jane refer to Lynette as his ex-wife, Tom continue to refer to Lynette as his wife. I was so glad that Tom admitted that he would miss Lynette if he move to India. Tom's boss was way out of line. No one would act like that in the work place. After Tom told him to shut up, his going on ,and on about Lynette being a bitch ( true,or not) was provoking Tom,and he was being disrespectful. Tom might have gotten fired, but he can also sue his boss for that.

O.k I like that Lynette played out bitch Jane. But she had to know the Tom boss was only messing over Tom because he wanted to be with her. On the other hand, he knew that Lynette wasn't really interested in him. I felt so sorry for Tom when his boss told Tom that Lynette was seeing someone else. I liked it, but I still felt a little sorry for Tom. However I didn't know what was more ridiculous . The fact that Tom didn't recognize Lee ,his longtime neighbor from behind,or the fact that Tom think that Lynette would get busy with a guy in front of a window where the whole world can see her body. She's 52. I do not think so.

I felt the girls were coming down hard on Gabby for letting Bree talk the fall. However I remember the whole thing being a group decision. And while we on the subject of Gabby, what about Carlos? All this time I thought that Carlos was depress because of he killed a man, and he felt guilty over it. Now it seem like he was just depress over his job. Carlos is able to sleep at night ,and he haven't mention turning himself in ,or anything every since Bree was being investigate for the murder. Carlos didn't even want to pay for her defense . Which I found appalling. If anything Carlos should have kept his job until the trial was over, so he can help Gabby pay for Bree defense. I starting to hate Carlos ...again.

Julie,Parker, and Susan's storyline was boring as hell. Rene's wedding woo's were boring. But it was nice to see Lee again.

I love Bree and the Trip. However I felt it was a little out of character of Bree to confront Trip's detective ,and accuse her of being a hooker. Bree wouldn't do that. I also feel that Bree should have never went to trial. They have very little evidence against her to connect her to the case, beside her address on a map,and a print on a button,and a note. Shouldn't they be trying to find the person who wrote the note. Wouldn't that person be a suspect? What about the person who ran over Chuck? Shouldn't they be looking for him? I just saying. It seem like they are not doing their job.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:18 AM

Given that their were a billion witnesses at the progressive dinner, the prosecution's murderous-drunken-slut angle makes absolutely no sense.

Jane didn't seem like she was really in love with Tom, she seem more like she just interested in him choosing her over Lynette.

To me she was clearly in love with him, hence the reason why she fought so hard despite all the baggage. Why all the effort to make a woman she barely knows jealous? Given that we're not going to see her again, I'm certain we're supposed to view her final line at face value.

Heck, Jane was the only one from that storyline who didn't irritate the heck out of me this episode, so good on them for letting her leave with some semblance of class, and also for not demonising her just to make Lynette look good. Tom and the boss both annoyed me as well, and it seemed like too many people had to take their idiot pills just so the writers can force that punch out. As for Lynette, the writers have left it faaar too late to make me care for their reconciliation. After Tom breaks up with her for being too controlling, she waits until ten schemes later to realize she's controlling? And that she lives to complain?

Edited by quangtran, May 7, 2012 @ 9:21 AM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:01 AM

I never really disliked Jane other than when she audaciously delivered Tom's divorce papers to Lynette, but I had to guffaw at her being so stunned with heartbreak when Tom admitted that he still loved Lynette. Lady, you picked this guy up approximately 45 minutes into his trial separation from his wife -- did you really think he no longer had feelings for her or that this exact thing wouldn't happen? I mean, really?

Bree going on trial while the other ladies stand by and continue to keep this stupid thing a secret is the perfectly stupid climax to this perfectly stupid storyline. Make it stop.

mspetite27

mspetite27

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:24 AM

I don't think that the girls were being too hard on Gabby. Up until the fight between Juanita & Celia she didn't act like she cared what was going on with Bree even though she's in this position because of her. I also think that Jane loved Tom. I wonder if Lynette & Tom will get back together. I saw Katherine in the promos. It will be nice to see her again. I'm going to miss this show.

okiedohkiepokie

okiedohkiepokie

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

The characterization of Jane is just another example of mis-management by TPTB. She was normal enough at first, then batshit crazy (with the divorce papers and the move in) and then when Tom breaks up with her, are we supposed to empathize with her? Do the writers even know what is going on in this show?

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

I forgot something about last week's episode, and my continued hatred of Lynette: When Susan was saying how hard it is h that MJ doesn't have a dad, and Lynette had to jump in with "I know what it's like playing mother and father." Yeah, because your divorce and shared custody with an obviously involved father is JUST the same as the kid whose father was shot dead on his doorstep. I like how Lynette's tone-deaf martyr selfishness is the only thing these writers have kept consistent.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

That reminds me of the flashback story where Edie tells McClusky that she understands her pain over losing her son, because she doesn't see her son Travers either. Like having a son that is alive and you could technically see whenever you wanted if you tried is the same thing as having a son who is dead and gone and will never ever see again.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

It was several months after he died that Alejandro's body was found, right? And yet, the crackerjack CSIs of Fairview were able to determine not only the exact date of his death, but within a 4 hour window. Sure. And the amazing detectives haven't even found out the man's real name?

DB in London

DB in London

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

I forgot something about last week's episode, and my continued hatred of Lynette: When Susan was saying how hard it is h that MJ doesn't have a dad, and Lynette had to jump in with "I know what it's like playing mother and father." Yeah, because your divorce and shared custody with an obviously involved father is JUST the same as the kid whose father was shot dead on his doorstep. I like how Lynette's tone-deaf martyr selfishness is the only thing these writers have kept consistent.

I mentioned that upthread. I really wish whoever was recapping last season would do at least the finale - they had the characters perfectly pegged as the most selfish group of bitches in the world.

avid_reader

avid_reader

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

It was several months after he died that Alejandro's body was found, right? And yet, the crackerjack CSIs of Fairview were able to determine not only the exact date of his death, but within a 4 hour window.

Thank you! Not only has it been months, but Alejandro's body was buried TWICE, in two wildly different environments (woods v. construction site) and yet they can tell the exact date and even an approximate time. Wouldn't the time in the woods (assuming they don't know about it, which seems likely) affect the TOD estimates, given that they would be based on decomp in a construction environment? Would the construction site have even been available for burying at the time of the murder?

I hate all things Tom and Lynette. And why is Carlos being a shark for charity a bad thing? Would he prefer being a sucky charity worker? And if Julie is worried about the baby being a school distraction, what happened to letting Susan raising it like she initially proposed? So glad this is almost over.

If they are going to interview all of Bree's indiscretions, how about letting them testify that they had sex and she sent them home with muffins-she was never violent with any of them, was she?

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

If they are going to interview all of Bree's indiscretions, how about letting them testify that they had sex and she sent them home with muffins-she was never violent with any of them, was she?

That's a very good point. If the defense is unable to prevent the prosecution from bringing up all these sexual encounters then the defense should use them to their advantage.

So, Gabi finally feels guilty about letting Bree take the heat for this whole thing, huh? She won't win any brownie points from me until she fesses up and gets Bree off the hook. That goes double for Carlos.

The whole thing with Tom seeing Lee helping Lynette out of her dress was just so contrived, it was so groan-worthy, like the plot was spit out by a computer programmed to regurgitate Soap Opera 101.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

The whole thing with Tom seeing Lee helping Lynette out of her dress was just so contrived, it was so groan-worthy, like the plot was spit out by a computer programmed to regurgitate Soap Opera 101.

Seriously. I laughed and laughed and laughed at that scene. Even for this show, which has gone beyond contrived and ridiculous, that was just too sitcom-misunderstanding-y. I half-expected Tom to run into Mr. Furley on his way back to the car.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

So is the finale a new 2 hours or is there going to be a "remember when" show too? The previews confused me.