Desperate Housewives: A Trip Down Memory Lane

• Please log in to reply

1964 replies to this topic

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I thought the papers were for starting divorce proceedings and not a final divorce. They should still have some issues like child support, custody, and alimony to work out. Maybe they’ll have their “we belong together” epiphany during some tense negotiations with their lawyers.

That's my thought on this too. Of course Jane will have to pull some other evil-mustache-twirling stunt before that happens. Or maybe she'll just wake up one morning, look at Tom and think "What am I fighting Lynette over? THIS????", then pack her bags and leave.

Also, I still cannot believe Bree hasn't said anything about Orson. Maybe she will to Scott Bakula? Because yes, there would be extensive damage to Orson's car and because his car is 'special' with hand controls for his driving, I would think a body shop mechanic would remember making those repairs. It might be his word vs. hers, but he's the one with the history of hit & run AND he's the one with the damaged car. I'm sure Orson & Bad Detective will join forces to 'get that bitch, Bree Vandecamp' though.

Remember when this show was really good????

bdarling

bdarling

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

I don't know how the writers just left the Carlos blind story line out. Gabby made it all work for much less income (if any!) but now she doesn't want to. If they just referenced that she doesn't want to do it again, it would be good.

I hope Tom dumps Jane. Not so much to get back with Lynette, but because she pulled a Lynette by being so pushy and not letting him make up his own mind. That would actually show some growth on Tom that he doesn't like that and needs to prevent it from happening and not have the women do what they want and ask for forgiveness later. Then he may realize that Lynette needs to step up to go back to him - and that would be a nice ending to them for me - they both have some growth.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

It's surprising that Carlos, who out of the men I was able to tolerate the most, is now the one I can tolerate the least (that's right, he's outranking Tom. Never thought it was possible.) Aside from the fact he and the writers forgot his blindness, he's acting pretty selfish towards his family. Not thinking about insurance or benefits? Not financially planning with the girls in grade school? Just decide "Yawn, going non profit now!" Volunteering is not an option? Ugh. What a way to end things for him.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

The whole Carlos mess is so painfully contrived. More than once throughout the series he told Gaby to get a job, even in S1, and he never complained about feeling emasculated. But now that TPTB need conflict, he's suddenly against her working.

Not that I like this storyline, but I don't think he's against her working. He's against her being the main breadwinner. To which I say, Carlos, if you don't want your wife to be the breadwinner, then win the bread yourself. And why is his job suddenly so soul-sucking? He hasn't been doing it that long and he's the head honcho, so he has a lot of options within his work. It's not like he's been slogging away at the same-o for 25 years, or that he's manufacturing guns or cigarettes or some other horrible thing. He could give to charity, volunteer, and still hold a job. Like most people do. I'd call him an idjut, but that belongs to the writers.

Loved Gabby's whole "If you want to sell knits, you have to show ____" Oh Gabby. And she had a dozen more? I'd love to hear 'em.

Hated the contrivance of Julie deciding to keep the baby. Like we didn't know that would happen. She just made it sound like all birth mothers are self-centred.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

I hated this episode. I can't think of a single "good part" other than Gabi with her customers.

Lynette nor Jane deserve Tom. He can do so much better. I feel like we're "supposed" to root for Lynette, but really? After all the crap she pulls?

Carlos wants to sacrifice his family for getting a more "fulfilling" job, and Gabi's in the wrong? Whatever.

Corrupt cop leads to a pathetic storyline.

And Mike's long lost sister plot was pointless.

Modi

Modi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

His car would have been damaged and he would have to have it repaired. There would be records of that somewhere, which a semi-competent police investigation would uncover.

Maybe he hit a deer. There's no evidence of a connection between Orson/Chuck, and Orson has no apparent reason to want him dead. Bree didn't have a clue Orson was involved until she saw the photos.

I thought the papers were for starting divorce proceedings and not a final divorce.

I thought Jane referred to them as "final divorce papers." If they're not, why would Lynette sign his petition?

I disagree that Carlos' blindness is relevant. Gaby never worked during that time; she sold some things he had paid for. She may have been smart enough to know how to manage the money, but she never earned any herself.

Yellow42758

Yellow42758

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Yeah, I don't remember Gaby working when Carlos was blind. But she did work when Carlos was in prison in Season One, and then again when she and Carlos were divorced in Season Three.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

Gaby may not have worked but she did struggle to keep things going. Carlos doesn't like the fact that Gaby isn't rolling over. She's fighting to give her girls a good life. And if I remember correctly Juanita needs the private school.

Bunny Mittens

Bunny Mittens

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Maybe they'll go for a really weird series ending, like the entire show has been a halucination Mary-Alice had while dying.

Or maybe they'll make it so she doesn't actually kill herself at all, and the last however many years will be her imagining what would happen if she DID kill herself.

But then she realizes that that would be a horrible thing to do to everyone, so she doesn't kill herself, and the show just starts itself over from the beginning, sans suicide.

Stranger things have happened, I guess.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

Maybe he hit a deer. There's no evidence of a connection between Orson/Chuck, and Orson has no apparent reason to want him dead. Bree didn't have a clue Orson was involved until she saw the photos.

Hit-and-run accidents are frequently motiveless – the driver hit a pedestrian, panicked, and fled the scene. One of the first things the police would do is to call around to the local body shops and find out what cars came in for front-end repairs. Then start looking for forensic evidence connecting the car to the victim, like paint chips from the car imbedded in Chuck’s body.

If the cops had started from the perspective of investigating a vehicular homicide, they wouldn’t have to make any connection between Orson and Chuck in order to make an arrest. Further digging would find that connection (via Bree) and would make them think “maybe this wasn’t an accident” and upgrade the charges to murder, and probably go after Bree as a conspirator.

I just think it’s horrible writing that Detective Vendetta is more interested in figuring out who killed a missing person than he is in discovering who killed his partner.

Or maybe they'll make it so she doesn't actually kill herself at all, and the last however many years will be her imagining what would happen if she DID kill herself.

But then she realizes that that would be a horrible thing to do to everyone, so she doesn't kill herself, and the show just starts itself over from the beginning, sans suicide.

Stranger things have happened, I guess.

Tommy Westphal replaced his snowglobe with a Wysteria Lane real estate brochure.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

They should've had Julie want the baby from the beginning and spared us the infuriating anti-adoption stance.

I agree. This storyline makes me stabby. Are they actually saying Julie wanting to give up her baby for adoption makes her selfish? Isn't it the opposite? Isn't giving your child up for adoption about the most selfless thing you can do if you're not ready to be a parent? Plenty of unwed mothers want better for their children, and want them to live in a two parent home with parents who are ready to be parents. That doesn't make them selfish! Julie was right the first time. She's a single woman, she's not ready to be a mother. Keeping the baby would be selfish if you ask me. At worst it could actually be detrimental to the child if she ends up resenting it, as do plenty of mothers, unfortunately.

I liked seeing Sean Kanan, AKA Deacon Sharpe, working on prime time, even if it was just as a rich stud wooing Gabi.

Thanks for confirmation that was him. I thought so but wasn't sure. He looks different without the facial hair.

His car would have been damaged and he would have to have it repaired.

Depends on what kind of car he drives. I once had a Buick Park Avenue and I could have hit an elephant with that thing without making a dent.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

That's my thought on this too. Of course Jane will have to pull some other evil-mustache-twirling stunt before that happens. Or maybe she'll just wake up one morning, look at Tom and think "What am I fighting Lynette over? THIS????", then pack her bags and leave.

I not surprise by Jane's actions. I view Jane just as I view Chuck/Katherine. Both started off nice in the beginning, too nice to be true. Both where pushy in what they want. Chuck wanted Bree as his wife,just like Jane wants Tom as her husband. Both being knowing the intended for under a year,and I bet like Chuck, Jane will become upset when she doesn't get her way. I do not think Jane is so in love with Tom, I think she just doesn't like Lynette. Everything she have done has been aim at Lynette. Like Penny's party. If Jane wanted to they could have given Penny a party at their home, why invite yourself to the one Lynette was throwing. The TS concert. If Jane truly wanted to take Penny to the concert, she would have said so when they all was talking about it, why wait until Tom,and Lynette was out of ear shot to ask Penny in private? The divorce papers. Most smart women would realize if the guy is hesitating on serving his wife divorce papers, it's likely because he is unsure on getting a divorce...again, Jane makes it's about Lynette and serves them to her. Jane do not want Tom, she just wants to be better than Lynette. Remember when Katherine was dating Mike, how she went out of her way to keep him by being overly nice to C.J, and making Mike gourmet meals so that he would not go back to Susan? Remember that? Well that is exactly what Jane is doing now. She knows that deep down inside Tom still love Lynette, but she must cut all ties between Tom and Lynette in order to keep Tom.

Tom and Lynette have had the same boring problems for years without breaking up. However they had to highlight Lynette faults in the past season so that we will buy them breaking up. Notice they didn't highlight Tom's problem,and he have a great deal of them.

Also, I still cannot believe Bree hasn't said anything about Orson. Maybe she will to Scott Bakula? Because yes, there would be extensive damage to Orson's car and because his car is 'special' with hand controls for his driving, I would think a body shop mechanic would remember making those repairs. It might be his word vs. hers, but he's the one with the history of hit & run AND he's the one with the damaged car. I'm sure Orson & Bad Detective will join forces to 'get that bitch, Bree Vandecamp' though.

Bree doesn't want to bring up Orson because Orson is the only one who connect them all to the crime,and since right now the other girls are in the clear, than bringing in Orson would make thing worse. However I surprise that the police is not searching for who wrote the note. The note writer should have been their prime suspect,and would have been if Chuck friend didn't have it out for Bree. I take it that Orson is not dead,and he's likely to show up some where down the line.

It's surprising that Carlos, who out of the men I was able to tolerate the most, is now the one I can tolerate the least (that's right, he's outranking Tom. Never thought it was possible.) Aside from the fact he and the writers forgot his blindness, he's acting pretty selfish towards his family. Not thinking about insurance or benefits? Not financially planning with the girls in grade school? Just decide "Yawn, going non profit now!" Volunteering is not an option? Ugh. What a way to end things for him.

Didn't Carlos always have this same problem? I think he was being way selfish. He do not have to quit his job to give something back. He can always donate his time in a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter like Bree does.

As for Julie not giving up her baby, while I knew that wasn't going to happen as soon as she came home to Susan. I think Julie was unsure about what she was going to do. But after seeing all the support she got, she decide to keep it.

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

I know this is Desperate Housewives, home of contrivances, but how does Carlos just expect to get a job as a counselor with no experience or relevant education? I've known two people who've gotten Master's at mid-life in order to become counselors.

If Carlos wanted to have a more fulfilling job, he could have taken his finance experience and worked as a CFO in government or a large non-profit, like a museum, a university or a hospital, or he could have gone to a financial firm that serves smaller non-profits. His family would have had to take a pay cut, but it would not have been as drastic. But that would have been too logical for this show.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

Is this show ever coming back? It keeps getting pre-empted, and since there are only a few episodes left, I wish they'd finish it off already! Sunday night it's being pre-empted by a Titanic movie (I can tell you how that ends).

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

It's back April 29, so there's only 3 preemptions (including last week's). We got more episodes in March than in any other season, probably because ABC wanted to pair the show with GCB; the result of that is we get fewer April episodes than in other years.

Evs

Evs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Tommy Westphal replaced his snowglobe with a Wysteria Lane real estate brochure.

I've been predicting a St. Elsewhere ending but with Celia staring into a Wisteria Lane snow globe. I think Tommy Westfall spoke more than she does!

Edited 'cause I forgot to use the quote box

Edited by Evs, Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:01 PM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

I know this is Desperate Housewives, home of contrivances, but how does Carlos just expect to get a job as a counselor with no experience or relevant education?

In the last episode, he said something to the effect that he had a line on a job at a non-profit but hadn't applied yet. Huh? Isn't that the kind of thing that you would check out before you quit your previous job?

I've known two people who've gotten Master's at mid-life in order to become counselors.

I am a high school guidance counselor and I have all but given up on any TV show acknowledging that any mental health professional has any kind of training, credentials or degree. According to most shows, counselors are just people off the street who have some kind of personal need to get all caught up in other people's issues. No degree necessary. :)

NicolaofEarth

NicolaofEarth

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Excuse me for showing up late to a party I wasn't invited to, this is my first time on the DH boards.
I've recently had the chance to catch up with the last 8 seasons of the show in about 3 months so just want to ask a simple question now that I know it's coming to an end:

WHY?

I mean, why? I started watching DH in 2005 but switched off around season 2 because it became rubbish. Then I found out about a year ago that the show was still on! I thought it would have been cancelled by now but I then had people left, right and center telling me how the show has actually improved massively since it's first few seasons, and how there was this 5 year jump etc etc.

With this and my disbelief that DH had survived Lost by 3 years I tuned in again to see what all the fuss was about.
Now I deeply regret being so impatient, DH is by far the best dramedy on television right now, hands down.

Yes, the show is ridiculous, illogical and the characters are all unlikeable, self-obsessed, attention-seeking drama queens whose only fear in life is not being the absolute centre of attention...but then, this is the show's charm. I've come to accept it and adore it.

So why is it that Marc Cherry is deciding to end the show at season 8? Isn't the last season of any show supposed to take everything that's happened before, leading it to it's ultimate moment that will wrap up all the main characters' stories nicely? This season feels like just another ordinary DH storyline, and the cover up of Gabby's step father has taken far too much screen time when it would have been more sensible, considering that this is the last season, to focus on the individual character development, and how the four housewives' friendship has grown/changed over the years.

Therefore, we should be seeing more of Lynette and Tom's divorce, more of Gabby's realisation that she wants to be more than a trophy wife, more of Bree focusing on all he people she's lost and more Susan, Mike, MJ and Julie's home life. But now they've decided to unnecessarily kill Mike so late in the game that we'll only get a few episodes of Susan and MJ grieving, and Mike's death will serve as a mere distraction from Susan's ongoing personal development.

Just doesn't feel like enough time to conclude the ultimate journey when there's only 3 more episodes left.

I'd say DH has one season left in it so do reconsider, Mr Cherry.
And please tell Miss Longoria to stop looting the set. Thanks.

divinecomedy

divinecomedy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

The cop who wants Bree in the jail and who falsed the evidence really annoys me. He is biased and as so he shouldn't be active in investigation. But i get it, it's for dramatic purpose, but still, it bothers me.

karra

karra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

I'd say DH has one season left in it so do reconsider, Mr Cherry.

I'm pretty sure the show was just cancelled, I don't think he has anything to do with it.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

I'm pretty sure the show was just cancelled, I don't think he has anything to do with it.

No, he and ABC decided to end the show.

okiedohkiepokie

okiedohkiepokie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

Agree so hard with Nicola. This season has no finality to it. I wish it had done a better job tying things together...

KLS

KLS

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

I'm hoping the last 3 episodes will do a good job wrapping the stories up. I want to be optimistic there is enough time.

DB in London

DB in London

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:40 AM

Agree. With just a few episodes left, they're STILL opening new storylines. Christ.

I'll say it again: I don't think that the writing on the show is bad. Individual scenes can actually be extremely good. It's the plotting that is complete shit. It's repetitive and nonsensical. They write great scenes if you take them out of context of normal human interactions, or fail to remember that they wrote a virtually identical scene last season.

ABC and Cherry, together, decided to end the show. However, at some point last season, ABC extended the option into season 9, but I think they realized that, with typical DH ratings erosion, the 2.7s they were getting at the end of last season would be 2.0s, and then mid-1s for a 9th season. Even with it being the final season, ratings are still down over last year, and there was also that dreadful 1.8 against the Grammys. From ABC's perspective, it's less about letting the show go out with its dignity (hell, it lost that a LONG time ago), but more like stemming the budget bleed that this show now represents.

curlyblackeggs

curlyblackeggs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

I agree with your entire post, DB in London.

I feel like DH is exactly as its always been, which is simultaneously its greatest asset and worst detriment. The individual scenes are exquisite; the overall plot is a Möbius strip. And it depresses the hell out of me that a show that was blessed with predetermined knowledge of the length f the run is void of denouement. The plot is oblivious of the show's lifespan; I'd rather see a satisfying conclusion to our time together than have to view the show as just a brief clip taken from the lives of these women.

Edited by curlyblackeggs, Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:55 AM.

DB in London

DB in London

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

I feel like DH is exactly as its always been, which is simultaneously its greatest asset and worst detriment. The individual scenes are exquisite; the overall plot is a Möbius strip. And it depresses the hell out of me that a show that was blessed with predetermined knowledge of the length f the run is void of denouement. The plot is oblivious of the show's lifespan; I'd rather see a satisfying conclusion to our time together than have to view the show as just a brief clip taken from the lives of these women.

A great example is in found in what I think was the best scene of this season - where Bree contemplates killing herself in the hotel. Excellent acting, great writing, chilling when Mary Alice shows up. But then you remember how Bree got there - her friends reject her because she covered up Carlos' murder - and it really degrades the entire scene. We can see why Bree would want to kill herself, but the lead-up to her contemplating it makes no sense.

Even in the best episode of the series, bar none - Bang - an extremely irritating character (essentially a plot device) is killed by a character who is plopped in at random.

Well, this episode typified everything that I have come to fucking LOATHE about this series. Completely lazy, nonsensical plotting. Let's recap:

1. MJ smashing the car. Susan should have smacked him and told him to grow the fuck up. What a little shit. Yes, he lost his dad, but that doesn't give him an excuse to treat Susan like shit, especially after she put 2 days into that wagon. On another note, how exactly did Susan design those decals?

2. Lynette being stuck in a shit storyline again. The best thing they could have done for her was to have her MOVE ON. But now we're in the 10th iteration of her trying to come between Tom and Jane. Ugh. And no, Lynette, Tom leaving you is NOT the same as Mike dying.

3. Tom. So he has to work late every night, right? Funny how he magically has time to be in two places at once, with him helping with MJ's car and all.

4. Gabby and Carlos. So Carlos, you quit your well paying job to work at a crisis center (admirable, if non-nonsensical), and Gabby is now the breadwinner. Of course it makes total sense for you to steal away Gabby's wealthy customers, the same ones who are helping to provide for your CHILDREN. And Gabby, if things are so desperate, wherever did you get the money to deck Carlos' office out like that? And as for their "shark" talk at the end, didn't they do this exact same plot line a few seasons back after Carlos got out of jail?

5. Bree - what a dramatic turn around in just a few episodes! Now you're ashamed of sleeping around after being so proud of it a few episodes back? And why the FUCK are the writers pushing this Bree-lawyer relationship angle with just TWO episodes left? Because they had nothing else for Bree to do this episode?

6. The ladies gather for tea: it just infuriates me how much cognitive dissonance there is between Gabby and Bree, especially with Gabby's nonchalant comment about how Bree is one trial for murder. Yes, she is, because she was helping YOU, you selfish bitch. Show a little compassion, you vapid POS.

7. Ben. Please keep wearing those tight pants. They were the highlight of this episode! When you were leaning over that table showing your wonderful ass in that car scene with MJ, well, I rewound that a few times. Don't care for your face (or your acting, or your storyline), but you've got one great ass!

Only 2 episodes until we're released from this shitfest, folks!

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Gabby talked about having the window dressers from the store decorate his office, so I assume the decor was borrowed.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

A great example is in found in what I think was the best scene of this season - where Bree contemplates killing herself in the hotel. Excellent acting, great writing, chilling when Mary Alice shows up. But then you remember how Bree got there - her friends reject her because she covered up Carlos' murder - and it really degrades the entire scene. We can see why Bree would want to kill herself, but the lead-up to her contemplating it makes no sense.

Actually I thought that made alot of sense. People in stressful situations do illogical things and blaming someone for things out of their control like dating a cop who happens to be investigating said murder or getting blackmailed and not telling them is stressful. Her friends being angry and dumping her may not be logical but it is real and Bree reacting the way she is also very very real. Sad but real.

I think Bree's actions up until around episode 12 or 13 make alot sense. Its around the time Orson returned that she lost me. Now that her murder trial has begun again Bree is the one character I am interested in because hell I can see the trial going in several different ways depending on what her friends do, what her lawyer does, and what Bree is will to do and sacrifice.

MJ smashing the car. Susan should have smacked him and told him to grow the fuck up. What a little shit. Yes, he lost his dad, but that doesn't give him an excuse to treat Susan like shit, especially after she put 2 days into that wagon. On another note, how exactly did Susan design those decals?

Actually I liked MJ in this. Maybe because his actions made sense. His father just died and he didn't want to be the only kid at a father and son thing with his mother. Maybe he did the wrong thing but his reason made sense. Plus its the first time in a long time that Susan's storyline didn't bug.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:52 PM.

DB in London

DB in London

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Actually I thought that made alot of sense. People in stressful situations do illogical things and blaming someone for things out of their control like dating a cop who happens to be investigating said murder or getting blackmailed and not telling them is stressful. Her friends being angry and dumping her may not be logical but it is real and Bree reacting the way she is also very very real. Sad but real.

That's actually what I meant to convey. Thank you for clarifying my thoughts! It was the reactions of Lynette/Susan/Gabby that bugged the shit out of me in that story, not the effect that it had on Bree.

Edit: Double post.

Edited by DB in London, Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:31 PM.

okiedohkiepokie

okiedohkiepokie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Agree so hard with DB in London. I have been a faithful viewer since day one and I am going to miss the series, but this season makes season 7 look good. I just don't get it.

There were a few times when I threw my hands up or shouted at the television. I was pleased to see a mention of Bree's sleeping around, however. But how many repetitive plots do we have to suffer? Is Lynette going to have to scheme to keep Tom from going away on a work trip, again? Also the Gaby and Carlos friction is so reminiscent of last seasons sudden implosion of Tom and Lynette. Sure they always had problems, but it was like the show randomly decided one episode that it was going to run full steam ahead into the ground. And then here we are with Gaby and Carlos, totally repeating earlier plot lines.

Even if I have defended the Alejandro storyline, it is still bothersome to see how it is playing out. When Gaby mentioned Bree dating Chuck? Uh she was dating him before the murder, and breaking up with him was what made him suspicious. So stupid. Part of me thinks Carlos is going to try to come clean about the murder by the end of the series.

Ugh, just ugh. I am sad the show is ending but come on. They needed to bring their A game, and they totally left it at home.