Desperate Housewives: A Trip Down Memory Lane

• Please log in to reply

1964 replies to this topic

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2006 @ 7:09 PM

You know I think if they transplanted the second half of the season and put it in the first this year would have been absolute motherfuckin' gold.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2006 @ 4:41 AM

While I never felt as strongly about Rex's death as everyone else watching the season 1 episodes again I can't help but notice how much fun Bree was with Rex as opposed to without him.

Rex as well as being pretty entertaining on his own was the straight man to Bree's over-the-top behavior. Plus they really had some great antagonistic back-and-forth. When Rex died it really took that dimension out of Bree. She never really had anyone (maybe Hempy for a while) to completely replace that.

And because her kids hated her Bree never had anyone to really talk to.

I don't know if Orson is going to be the new guy for this but here's hoping. I like him better than George or Hempy.

CallMeSoon

CallMeSoon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2006 @ 5:35 PM

I've been re-watching Season 1 (yes I am a dork), and I've come to several conclusions.

1) Bree WAS a better character with Rex. Without Rex, Bree is just dull and uninteresting as a character. I was struck by how much I enjoyed Bree in Season 1 when she was playing opposite Rex. I whole-heartedly agree with jayseyfield on this.

2) I actually enjoyed Susan and Mike in much of Season 1. I wasn't in love with them, but I was certainly rooting for them. I don't know what changed in Season 2, but Mike has just gotten really boring, and I no longer care if he and Susan get together.

3) Gaby was not a good character in Season 1. Neither was Carlos. I didn't like either one of them. And as much as people griped about John, after rewatching much of Season 1, I feel sorry for him. Gaby used him and threw him under a bus, and he really cared for her. Gaby was the adult, and completely took his innocence from him. She should have known better than to start an affair with an impressionable 16 year old.

4) Lynette was not that bad in Season 1. I don't understand the gripes about the Season 1 version. Yes she whined about her kids, but did no more whining than any other housewife. As far as her being a bad mother, it takes two to parent, so if Lynette was a bad mother, Tom was a bad father. At least Lynette was around.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2006 @ 5:47 PM

3) Gaby was not a good character in Season 1. Neither was Carlos. I didn't like either one of them. And as much as people griped about John, after rewatching much of Season 1, I feel sorry for him. Gaby used him and threw him under a bus, and he really cared for her. Gaby was the adult, and completely took his innocence from him. She should have known better than to start an affair with an impressionable 16 year old.

When you watch again you really notice how far Gabby has come as a character since then. Not in the sense of Gabby being better as a person or less selfish but as a television character. I really think Eva Longoria really got the hang of the character this season combined with the writing this season which took advantage of Eva's comedic talent.

4) Lynette was not that bad in Season 1. I don't understand the gripes about the Season 1 version. Yes she whined about her kids, but did no more whining than any other housewife. As far as her being a bad mother, it takes two to parent, so if Lynette was a bad mother, Tom was a bad father. At least Lynette was around.

I really disagree. After watching the first four episodes I can't believe how annoying she use to be compared to this season. It was all about the kids misbehaving and Lynette being stressed out and yelling at them. Plus her hair and wardobe looks a lot better now than back then. I mean remember the scene where all the P's were acting crazy in the minivan then the policeman pulled them over? Not fun.

I remember just changing the channel sometimes when Lynette was on in season 1 not I'm actually enjoying her sometimes, especially with the Tom has another child storyline.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2006 @ 7:36 PM

What really set me off Lynette in S1 more than anything else was the opening scene (in an episode written by a man, notably) where MAVO reveals that she secretly hates all the adorable little gifts her kids have made for her over the years. There was nothing on that level in S2.

eeyore1976

eeyore1976

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 12:06 AM

Best Story Arc: I'll throw some love Susan's way and say the mini-arc where she paid Zana to leave town only to have her scheme discovered by Mike and left bawling in her wedding dress.

Worst Story Arc: It bears repeating: the Applewhites. Since the season-long mystery was so central to season 1's effectiveness, I think Cherry and his staff mistakenly assumed EVERY season would need one. Only when Danielle ran off with Matthew (at the frickin' next to last episode!) did the mystery's outcome emperil ANY of the four leads or characters tied to them.

Most Improved Character: Karl. The writers got clever in keeping in the mix even when Susan or Julie weren't involved. And Burgi brings a manic sparkle to a character who in lesser hands would just be a heel.

Most Ruined Character: Mike. What the writers did for Karl? Never did it for Mike. Even as the Deidre/Zana/Noah saga was (finally!) winding down at season's end, the writers still hadn't bothered to anchor Mike to any lead characters besides Susan. It's not James Denton's fault; his character has simply hit a dead end.

Best Housewife: Don't hurt me: Susan. Gabby's mid-story rocked, but the opening episodes wasted her and the Xiao Mei intrigue landed with a thud. Bree's stalking by George, her trauma with her kids and her alcoholism all could have been better if the writers had chosen one of the three and let it develop over the whole season. Lynette...see next. Susan's story at least had a recognizable thruline: her seesawing between Mike and Karl. She wins by default

Worst Housewife: Nora's bombshell looks to give Lynette her own new, shiny season-long storyline. Before that, it was one-episode arc purgatory for the most versatile actress in the foursome.

Best Supporting Character: Edie. I, for one, don't want Edie to get much more screen time. Her shrewdly limited appearances allow Sheridan to take the character into broad comedy realms a weekly regular couldn't get away with. And how nifty is it a breakout supporting character isn't shoved down our throats in the second season. (I'm looking at you, Jack and Karen...er, Will and Grace.)

Most Ruined Supporting Character: Felicia Tillman. I hate it, too. It's hard to believe the same woman who chided "no personal checks" after telling Wisteria Lane she was selling Martha's things was reduced to setting booby traps for CreePaul like he was the RoadRunner. At least she got a great sendoff...

Most Jazzed about Next Season: The battle between Nora and Lynette.

Least Enthused about Next Season: Crazy Orson. From the proud makers of Crazy George.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 12:14 AM

Felicia Tillman. I hate it, too. It's hard to believe the same woman who chided "no personal checks" after telling Wisteria Lane she was selling Martha's things was reduced to setting booby traps for CreePaul like he was the RoadRunner. At least she got a great sendoff...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this but if you look at the season as a whole everything Felicia did made perfect sense.

Remember in the recap when Evany called Felicia crazy in the recap for giving dentures to Edie? It makes perfect sense now. Felicia was creating all these incidents between Paul and herself (all those roadrunner things like putting shortening on his doorstep or "accidentally" giving the exterminators the wrong address) so that the police and Wisteria Lane in general would believe that Paul had the motive to kill Felicia.

So there was a method to her madness. Those roadrunner stunts weren't to actually hurt Paul, it was to foster the impression that Paul was really angry at Felicia, setting up the finale phase of her plan.

Edited by jayseyfield, Jun 4, 2006 @ 12:16 AM.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 1:49 AM

But it still makes no sense that she gave a damn that Paul murdered her sister. She detested Martha and said the day she died the world became a better place. Why they didn't make the story about her getting Zach out of Paul's clutches I'll never know. She had a weirdly obsessive foundness for the boy and Felicia's interactions with Zach ("I'm gonna make you some pudding!") were the best part of the Young mystery.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 1:57 AM

But it still makes no sense that she gave a damn that Paul murdered her sister. She detested Martha and said the day she died the world became a better place. Why they didn't make the story about her getting Zach out of Paul's clutches I'll never know. She had a weirdly obsessive foundness for the boy and Felicia's interactions with Zach ("I'm gonna make you some pudding!") were the best part of the Young mystery.

I think this was touched upon before but basically just because you despise someone dosen't mean you're fine with them being murdered. Avenging someones death is a familial obligation more than anything for Felicia.

If Paul goes to jail Zach automatically out of his clutches, isn't he? I believe Felicia genuinely cared about Zach but it came second to getting revenge on Paul Young. She succeded and now she's gone.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 2:26 AM

I get what you're saying, really my point is that the show didn't express it well at all. The last we see of Felicia she has a neckbrace on and is cracking wise about the weather and the next she's Noah's grandfather's nurse. And then trapping Paul became her mission in life. It just didn't flow.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 2:51 AM

Let me try to piece together Felicia's timeline (I'm sure I'll leave something out)

-Felicia comes to Wisteria Lane to find Martha Huber's murderer.

-Felicia finds out it was Paul Young then tells Mike Delfino about Deidre. Felicia expects Mike to kill Paul.

-Mike doesen't kill Paul. So Felicia changes gears by becoming Noah's new nurse and deviously influencing him (the note that said "You have a grandson" for example) to order a hit on Paul. It works and Noah tells Sullivan to kill Young. This attempt fails, Paul is alive and Zach's plea to Noah prevents Paul from any more danger.

-So finally Felicia comes up with her final last ditch plan to get rid of Paul. She manufactures a lot of incidents with Paul, like the dentures which established 1. Paul being humiliated by Felicia and 2. Felicia making it clear to everyone that Paul is a murderer.

Then Felicia angers Paul with replacing the lighter fluid with gasoline and making Paul trip HomeAlone style. Then she makes Paul really get angry and he lounges at her just like Felicia wanted with lots of witnesses.

Then finally she hoards a bunch of her own blood, steals Paul's keys, makes a 911 call saying she was going to Paul Young's house to confront him, cut off her own fingers, then I think she made another 911 call, planted all the blood and fingers in Paul's house and car then left town.

I don't know if the writers had all that figure out but it seemed pretty consistent to me. Plan 1 failed, she moved on to Plan 2 then she went on to Plan 3. I guess in the end she settled for Paul going to jail as opposed to being killed.

CallMeSoon

CallMeSoon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 1:18 PM

I'm worried that they're going to run out of storylines for the main 4 women. In the next 2-3 season, what will be left to tell? Marc Cherry better get his creative juices flowing.

Gaby, for example. They've already done the affair stories, the baby story (next season), the "Solises are poor" story, Gaby goes back to work story, and meeting the parents story. What else can they do with her? I guess they could have Gaby divorce Carlos and be a single mom. That could be interesting. Eva said she was leaving the show when her contract was up But still. I just hope Marc can be creative while she's still here.

Then there's Susan. They've done the meeting the parents story, the Susan dates around story, the sleeping with the ex-husband story, the Susan is poor story, and the Susan meets her "one true love" story. What's left to tell? And not for Julie, but for SUSAN herself. What stories will Susan have in the future? Susan can still get an addiction, but that's a one season story. I think Teri will be staying as long as DH is on the air, so Marc Cherry better get creative.

And Bree. They've lumped all potential Bree stories into Season 2. They've done the husband died story, the affair story, the addiction story, the terrible kids story, the Bree dates around story, the psycho stalker story, the meet the parents story. What's left? After Orson's mystery is solved, what's left? I guess they could always have Bree get poor and take a job she finds demeaning or something. Or have another baby. But again, Marcia is probably in for the long haul, so I hope Marc Cherry is creative.

Finally, Lynette. They've done the addiction story, the terrible kids story, the "we're poor" story, and the Lynette goes back to work story, but I actually think Marc has a lot of creative room left with her character (beyond Nora and Kayla, which will probably be only 1 season). There's adultery, divorce, Lynette dating around, Tom's "secret", meeting Lynette's extended family, possible death with a "P" kid, and an eventual reunion for Tom/Lynette that can be told. Also, like Teri and Marcia, Felicity is here for the long haul, I think. So I hope Marc gets creative with her character.

Bottom line for me, I like all 4 characters, and I want Marc and Co. to keep me surprised and entertained for many years to come. Maybe I'm not very creative, but with the exception of Lynette, I can't think of any stories that the women haven't already experienced.

Edited by CallMeSoon, Jun 4, 2006 @ 1:19 PM.

puppy

puppy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 2:49 PM

I think a good way to expand these characters is to let them interact more with other main and secondary characters apart from their significant others. Let the guys meet for basketball once a week, for example. Also, I think I would enjoy a storyline involving a major rift between two/all housewives, maybe even Bree and Susan over Orson/Mike. The other two could be taking sides, Lynette with Bree and Gabby with Susan or even the other way round. This could be interesting.

As for Susan, I wish they'd explore New!Susan and everything it entails, like living with one's true love on a daily basis, her and Karl fighting over a rebelling Julie or the changing dynamics between her and Edie.

I'd definitely enjoy both a single Gabby and a single Lynette. But I guess TPTB will be too chicken to split up Tom and Lynette, even though it would fit Tom's character to cheat.

All in all, I'm not worried yet. Even though many things have already been done, these characters have so much potential (that has more or less been wasted in season 2) that they (the old writers and the new ones!) should be able to come up with interesting storylines for more seasons to come.

Edited by puppy, Jun 4, 2006 @ 2:50 PM.

HopelessOptmist

HopelessOptmist

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 3:26 PM

And Bree. They've lumped all potential Bree stories into Season 2. They've done the husband died story, the affair story, the addiction story, the terrible kids story, the Bree dates around story, the psycho stalker story, the meet the parents story. What's left?

Perhaps waaay in the future, once Bree has married someone else or something, maybe she could be on the other end of the affair story where she is attracted to someone else. I'm not saying I want her to actually have the affair, but it would be interested seeing someone with such strong moral values battling her desires and her values. Like id and superego in Freudian psychology. I know that they've already done the story with Gaby, but Bree and Gabrielle are obviously very different people, so maybe it could be interesting.

Modi

Modi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 3:30 PM

Gaby, for example. They've already done the affair stories, the baby story (next season), the "Solises are poor" story, Gaby goes back to work story, and meeting the parents story. What else can they do with her?

I think the Solises still have plenty of story in them as a couple. TPTB could have her deal with her stepfather. Give her a long-lost sibling she never knew about. Put Carlos back to work (I would LOVE to see him and Lynette become business partners, and Gaby get jealous and feel left out because Lynette's more compatible with him intellectually). Have her and Carlos deal with first-time parent stuff. Send her to college because she feels inadequate in Carlos' more intellectual world. Carlos' long-lost father (or any other relative) could show up wanting Carlos to donate an organ to him, which Gaby objects to. Give her or Carlos a major health scare, or a longterm illness they eventually recover from.

Then there's Susan. They've done the meeting the parents story, the Susan dates around story, the sleeping with the ex-husband story, the Susan is poor story, and the Susan meets her "one true love" story. What's left to tell? And not for Julie, but for SUSAN herself. What stories will Susan have in the future?

I don't see any longterm story potential for Susan/Mike, so maybe it's best that they stay apart. What could they possibly do after they get married? If they're not going to reunite anytime soon, I want at least one of them to have a serious relationship. Even Ross and Rachel moved on.

Finally, Lynette. They've done the addiction story, the terrible kids story, the "we're poor" story, and the Lynette goes back to work story, but I actually think Marc has a lot of creative room left with her character (beyond Nora and Kayla, which will probably be only 1 season). There's adultery, divorce, Lynette dating around, Tom's "secret", meeting Lynette's extended family, possible death with a "P" kid, and an eventual reunion for Tom/Lynette that can be told. Also, like Teri and Marcia, Felicity is here for the long haul, I think. So I hope Marc gets creative with her character

That can't happen unless ABC is willing to take some risks. Like I said above, I think Carlos and Lynette would make perfect business partners, which could create more stories and conflict involving characters we already know and care about, not like Ed and Nina. If they do it next season, it would be a great way to keep Carlos in the neighborhood and in touch with Gaby until he inevitably moves back in.

I think a good way to expand these characters is to let them interact more with other main and secondary characters apart from their significant others. Let the guys meet for basketball once a week, for example. Also, I think I would enjoy a storyline involving a major rift between two/all housewives, maybe even Bree and Susan over Orson/Mike. The other two could be taking sides, Lynette with Bree and Gabby with Susan or even the other way round. This could be interesting

You've read my mind. Carlos is the only man this season to interact alone with characters other than his SO (I'm not counting Mike because he didn't have a SO for almost the whole season). I would LOVE an episode where the men and women play separate poker games in separate locations, alternating back and forth between them; it would be a great way to find out how the sexes feel about each other. I was hoping the Bree/Lynette rift would last alot longer and be more serious. I was hoping for a story in which Gaby tries to get Xiao-Mei married off to Mike to keep her in the country, which would cause a rift between Gaby and Susan. Or The Kiss, as well as Carlos' pass at Lynette, could still have some ramifications for the Solises and Scavos, particularly if Carlos and Lynette work together.

Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 5:28 PM

I think the Solises still have plenty of story in them as a couple. TPTB could have her deal with her stepfather. Give her a long-lost sibling she never knew about. Put Carlos back to work (I would LOVE to see him and Lynette become business partners, and Gaby get jealous and feel left out because Lynette's more compatible with him intellectually). Have her and Carlos deal with first-time parent stuff. Send her to college because she feels inadequate in Carlos' more intellectual world. Carlos' long-lost father (or any other relative) could show up wanting Carlos to donate an organ to him, which Gaby objects to. Give her or Carlos a major health scare, or a longterm illness they eventually recover from.

That is what I'm thinking, too. I think there's a ton of stuff that they can do. Maybe they can go back to the high triglycerides and I dunno, give Carlos a stroke? I love that idea of Carlos and Lynette working together. Maybe they could bring back Alejandro and he'll try to molest Gabrielle, only to face the wrath of an protective Carlos.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 6:35 PM

I was hoping the Bree/Lynette rift would last alot longer and be more serious. I was hoping for a story in which Gaby tries to get Xiao-Mei married off to Mike to keep her in the country, which would cause a rift between Gaby and Susan.

Agreed. I want more rifts! I think all friendships have them and it would make them more realistic. My favorites are the ones that we hardly remember, such as

*Bree being mad at Gabby for agreeing to sponsor Danielle's modeling scholarship
*Gabby and Susan at odds over Gabby's affair with John (best one ever, as far as I'm concerned, right down to Susan getting stripped on the runway)

That one also had this bon mot:

Gabby: "Susan! How are you?"
Susan: "I'm great. Do you want to tell me why your foot was in John Rowland's crotch the other day?"

Edited by JakeyIsSusan, Jun 4, 2006 @ 6:36 PM.

WannaBeBad2

WannaBeBad2

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 2:47 AM

As mentioned earlier, there's still much potential for a rift or drama if/when the Andrew hit-and-run and coverup get revealed to Gabby and Carlos.

I, too, like the idea of Lynette and Carlos working together. They have such a huge cast that it's a crime there's not more mixing and matching between the characters.

Modi

Modi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 3:17 PM

As mentioned earlier, there's still much potential for a rift or drama if/when the Andrew hit-and-run and coverup get revealed to Gabby and Carlos

Absolutely, but my fear is that Gaby would side with Bree, not Carlos, because she didn't really care that much for Mama Solis and because she will know maternal love by then and understand Bree's POV. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gaby learned the truth somehow and kept it from Carlos.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2006 @ 10:59 PM

I give Marc Cherry and the producers all the credit in the world in regards to Lynette. Last season she was just unwatchable to me. I think partly because they were trying so hard to make a point about how ugly and hard motherhood can be by making Lynette as unattractive and horribly dressed as possible. This season they've cleaned her up a bit and made her children less hellacious.

I think Lynette and Gabby are on their way up. I look forward to Lynette's SL with Nora and her daughter more and more and I see many funny things happening between Xiao Mei and Gabby.

Susan and Bree on the other hand are a bit down in my view. I see the whole Mike thing as just another annoying storyline I'll have to watch until Susan moves on to the more fun things. I just hated Mike getting hit by the car, it just complicated things even if it was neccesary for the whole Orson mystery thing.

Bree I'm just not looking forward to at all next season. I guess because we have absolutley nothing to clue us in on what's in store for her except for creepy Orson.

I'm very proud of their handling of Lynette though. I cannot emphasize how much I hated her last season, and now I'm actually looking forward to seeing her next season.

Who knew that was even possible!

Modi

Modi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2006 @ 11:36 PM

Susan and Bree on the other hand are a bit down in my view

Last season Bree was my favorite, but this season I couldn't have cared less about her (which is why I don't hate Andrew for hurting her). She had the IQ of a turnip during the whole George story, I hate addiction stories, and her feud with Andrew was dragged out as far as it could go, then dragged out some more. The only time I could tolerate and sometimes even like Susan was when she was with Karl, and if she's not going to be with Mike anytime soon, TPTB should've kept Susan/Karl together. What they could've done is forgotten all about the divorce, have Mike show up at Susan's out of the blue with the ring and find out she's married to Karl, get upset, run out into the street, and get hit by Orson. That scenario IMO would've had the same "poignancy" as what they did do.

I'm very proud of their handling of Lynette though. I cannot emphasize how much I hated her last season, and now I'm actually looking forward to seeing her next season

I've always been neutral on Lynette, although I can understand why others hate her. But ever since she suspected Tom of cheating, I've liked her, and I'm interested in her story for the first time ever. Will this be the first longterm story arc she's had? All her other stories don't seem to have lasted more than two or three episodes, and I consider her going back to work a situation, not a story.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2006 @ 11:43 PM

I've always been neutral on Lynette, although I can understand why others hate her. But ever since she suspected Tom of cheating, I've liked her, and I'm interested in her story for the first time ever. Will this be the first longterm story arc she's had? All her other stories don't seem to have lasted more than two or three episodes, and I consider her going back to work a situation, not a story.

I think it is the first story arc she's gotten and I'm so happy. If you look at all her episodes they all sound like something out of a sitcom; eating raw bacon, letting rat loose, lying that her kid had cancer to join the gym or yoga.

I mean she's had her moments with the breakdown and dream sequence with Mary Alice giving her the gun but it's about time Felicity Huffman got a Desperate Housewives storyline, if that makes any sense.

I'm glad they made Mrs. McCluskey as her sounding board. I hope Lynette goes to her for advice about how to deal with Nora.

CallMeSoon

CallMeSoon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 3:21 PM

I think it is the first story arc she's gotten and I'm so happy. If you look at all her episodes they all sound like something out of a sitcom; eating raw bacon, letting rat loose, lying that her kid had cancer to join the gym or yoga.

I mean she's had her moments with the breakdown and dream sequence with Mary Alice giving her the gun but it's about time Felicity Huffman got a Desperate Housewives storyline, if that makes any sense.

I'm glad they made Mrs. McCluskey as her sounding board. I hope Lynette goes to her for advice about how to deal with Nora.

Agreed on all accounts. The longest story arc I believe Felicity has had was the addiction one, and it only lasted 5-6 episodes, I think. It's about time Felicity got something long-term she could sink her teeth into. I am very much looking forward to Lynette's storyline next year. And I, too, like the Mrs. McC/Lynette friendship.

I think Lynette and Gabby are on their way up. I look forward to Lynette's SL with Nora and her daughter more and more and I see many funny things happening between Xiao Mei and Gabby

I am looking forward to both of these women's stories, too. Bree and Susan, not so much. I like both ladies, but as of now, I'm not interested in their upcoming stories. Bree + another mystery + Orson = I'm bored. Susan + Another guy +/- Mike? Bored. Hopefully things won't be as bad for them as I'm imagining.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2006 @ 5:26 AM

While watching Fear No More I had one of those "I love this show" moments.

It was in the pool party at the Solises, Gabby is at the barbecue and gets nauseous and runs off and on the way to the bathroom she quickly takes Sophie's champagne, and Sophie delivers the line; "Excuse you". It was such a pefect example of the large Wisteria Lane universe is and also it was a genuninley funny moment, I loved it.

And I love how in one shot you have two characters talking while a main characters just sits back on the background.

Kimbreely

Kimbreely

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2006 @ 10:33 AM

I give Marc Cherry and the producers all the credit in the world in regards to Lynette. Last season she was just unwatchable to me.

With me happened the exact opposite. I was one of the few who loved Lynette last season... up until the point she got Tom fired because of her insecurites. This season, my dislike of her only grew, which is a shame. Her storylines were terrible and some of her actions really annoyed me. The worst part is that Tom menaged to annoy me even more than Lynette, which made the whole Lynette/Tom subplot unwatchabe to me.

CallMeSoon

CallMeSoon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

With me happened the exact opposite. I was one of the few who loved Lynette last season... up until the point she got Tom fired because of her insecurites. This season, my dislike of her only grew, which is a shame. Her storylines were terrible and some of her actions really annoyed me. The worst part is that Tom menaged to annoy me even more than Lynette, which made the whole Lynette/Tom subplot unwatchabe to me.

That's exactly how I feel about Bree. Season 1 I loved Bree. Season 2 she became very annoying and tedious to watch. I've lost a lot of my Bree love. Now, I don't really care what happens to her.

Lynette and Gaby have improved for me in S2. Susan's stayed the same. And Bree has worsened to become very unlikeable for me. I don't know if it was the overkill of airtime, or the bad alcohol plots, the manipulation of Hempy's sponsor, or what. Probably a combination of all three. But I've grown weary of her.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2006 @ 3:30 AM

Lynette and Gaby have improved for me in S2. Susan's stayed the same. And Bree has worsened to become very unlikeable for me. I don't know if it was the overkill of airtime, or the bad alcohol plots, the manipulation of Hempy's sponsor, or what. Probably a combination of all three. But I've grown weary of her.

I feel the same way. And I'm really worried about her SL for season 3, because Bree has a lot of fans and if she has another grueling season they'll be really unhappy and might stop watching and I wouldn't want that to happen.

evany

evany

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2006 @ 2:13 PM

Can't find your post? Hmm, maybe it was less "Trip Down Memory Lane" and more "What Would You Like to See Happen Next"?

Modi

Modi

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2006 @ 6:04 PM

I feel like I'm living in Bizarro World because I honestly don't think Bree dominated this season. Her heavy stories made it easier to get tired of her, but I don't think she got any more airtime than any of the other three. Maybe it just seemed like she and Gaby were everywhere because they always had something substantial to do for more than two episodes at a time?

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

I think that's exactly it. If Susan or Lynette's stories had been as heavy as Bree losing her husband then her fiancee dying then her son screwing her boyfriend or Gaby miscarrying, adopting a baby, losing that baby, getting a surrogate, the show would have felt a lot more balanced. But no, suddenly Susan gives a shit about finding a dad she never seemed to think about before or Lynette and her mini-stories. Which weren't that different from last year but that was just a quarter of the show, coupled with Susan's mundane stories suddenly half the show was slapsticky nonsense that didn't matter.