Season Four Spoilers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4053 replies to this topic

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 12:48 AM

Well, although the third season has only been over for a couple of hours, I thought it'd be a good idea to just start discussing season 4. I know it may be jumping the gun a little bit, but eh.

Here's the press release about the fourth season:

Welcome to THE O.C. – Orange County, California. Where the lives of a Newport Beach community have been altered forever by the arrival of an outsider who shakes up their world.
When the series returns for season four, high school seems like a distant memory to the young graduates, who have been thrust into adulthood after the life-changing events of graduation night.
Who heads to college to try to put the past behind them? Who stays in town because they can’t let the past go? Will the person responsible for the tragedy go free? Or will someone decide that the way to heal is through revenge?
It’s a battle for RYAN’s (Ben McKenzie) soul as the Cohens struggle to keep him focused on the future, fighting the forces that threaten to pull him back into his old life. SANDY (Peter Gallagher) returns to the Public Defender’s office, and he and KIRSTEN (Kelly Rowan) find themselves reaching out to another troubled teen, but this one is not a stranger. It’s KAITLIN COOPER (Willa Holland), the number-one troublemaker at The Harbor School, and too much to handle for her mother JULIE (Melinda Clarke), who’s off making some trouble of her own. The person most excited about leaving high school finds himself back there – as a teacher. And new cast member TAYLOR TOWNSEND (Autumn Reeser) finds herself with some unlikely new roommates – and family members.
As much as the arrival of Ryan has changed the lives of this community, so too has the departure of Marissa. The season hits the ground running with just the right mix of heart, humor, action and romance as our characters embrace their futures together. It’s a new day on THE O.C. …

So, commence.

Edited by MethodActor05, May 19, 2006 @ 12:51 AM.

godforbid

godforbid

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 12:49 AM

Good times. I'm thinking the speculation that Seth is a teacher is...uh...odd. I mean he's only 18, yes? Don't you have to get schooling and/or certification for that? Then again, this is the OC. Lack of legality is how it's done in Orange County.

I'm oddly excited for a bot-free season. Call me crazy, but, hey. I can dream.

Divine

Divine

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 12:54 AM

Comment taken from Season three spoilers thread:

I know that press release will change over the next few months, but I almost don't want to see Ryan "move on" I want to see him demand revenge on Volchock, I think we need to see him as a character broken down into that tough guy, badass he was before Sandy rescued him and the Cohen's tried to get him on the straight and narrow path.....he needs to be broken down and reconstructed and along the way go through growing pains all over again because of this accident. We'll see him act as though he is going to throw his life away, he's gonna have to move on without Seth since he is going to Rhode Island (we assume), and he will have to deal with Julie thinking he killed Marissa and Kaitlin making him feel guilty all over again ala Johnny's fall from the cliff.

If they do this, I think it will be really interesting. Ryan is usually the character who is in control. he's had his set backs, but for the most part he has been the "good guy". I would like to see all of that change with this tragedy. I hope they don't cop out on it. At first I wanted to see immediate reactions, but now it doesn't matter. Immediate reactions requires them to show all of Summer and that would leave little room for people's college decisions and showing Kaitlin enter Harbour....something I don't think that Josh wants give up. If done well, the mourning can be shown three months after. Besides, I'm sure ryan will have some heartfelt flashbacks and/or nightmares about the whole thing.

Summer InA Bowl

Summer InA Bowl

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 1:02 AM

Good times. I'm thinking the speculation that Seth is a teacher is...uh...odd. I mean he's only 18, yes? Don't you have to get schooling and/or certification for that?

He'll probably be a substitute teacher, and you often don't need certification for that. I know a lot of college kids who sub.

godforbid

godforbid

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 1:07 AM

"" True. What do we think he'll sub in...art? If it involves exploding kilns or expressive body painting, that could potentially be hilarious. But as this is the OC, I shouldn't hold my breath, should I...? No. No, I guess not.

Dammit I just want some Summer angst. Really.

Hadeben

Hadeben

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 1:20 AM

I guess they could show the summer through flashbacks ala veronica mars.

And that seth as a teacher spoiler made me crinch.

visiter

visiter

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 1:37 AM

It looks like Autumn Reeser's character is taking centrestage now that Marissa is gone???

Maria2006

Maria2006

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 1:59 AM

Actually, it seems as if Ryan will take center stage again. After all Ryan played a really big role in the final spiral leading to Marissa's death. Sounds pretty dark.

Did I hear correctly that Josh said he wanted to make the show more comedic and less soapy next year? Doesn't seem to jive with the above.

Edited by Maria2006, May 19, 2006 @ 1:59 AM.

K-town girl

K-town girl

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 2:08 AM

Maybe Ryan will decide he wants to move to Albuquerque to be with Dawn and forego college, in order to keep the balance. Like he thinks if he doesn't go forward to good things, nothing bad will happen.

nzlaura

nzlaura

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 2:37 AM

So Seth is the new Screech?

harlowe

harlowe

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 2:53 AM

Re: Seth being a teacher.
In California public school teachers and substitutes must have have gone to college and have the required credentials. Teacher Requirements Substitute Requirements
Private schools make their own rules in hiring teachers and subs. So while Seth could not work at that horrible horrible public school Newport Union, he might work at Harbor. I doubt it. Seth would get walked on trying to sub for 1st graders, I would hate to see him trying to command authority with high school students.

lavaniteux

lavaniteux

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 3:03 AM

Maybe he is teaching sailing before he goes to RISD. It would probably be some kind of after-school thing and I doubt he'd need accreditation as an actual sub... and we know he is qualified for it, even if he hasn't sailed in a season and a half.

Maria2006

Maria2006

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 3:28 AM

Maybe Seth has to get a job as part of his punishment for accidentally setting the fire at the Newport Group. He could be a TA in art or the sailing coach.

Edited by Maria2006, May 19, 2006 @ 3:29 AM.

goodnightandgoo

goodnightandgoo

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 4:38 AM

Or will someone decide that the way to heal is through revenge?

Sounds like Ryan or Julie to me. Hopefully both. Hopefully Julie doesn't blame Ryan, but actually teams up with him to kick Volchok's ass.

The person most excited about leaving high school finds himself back there – as a teacher.

God. I really don't want to see Seth as a teacher. It seems so out of character. He HATES teenagers, especially ones from Harbor.

TAYLOR TOWNSEND (Autumn Reeser) finds herself with some unlikely new roommates – and family members.

New roommates? Hopefully one of them is Summer Roberts. New family members? Sounds exciting. I love Taylor.

rightfielder21

rightfielder21

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 4:46 AM

I am looking to forward to The OC without it being The Marissa Hour it has been most of the third season...

Some of the points in the description sound a little "ehhh"...

Josh, if you know what is good for you, DO NOT make Willa a big part of the show... She is fine as an extra storyline, not as a main plot...

Buono

Buono

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 8:47 AM

Hopefully they'll kill off Kaitlin next.

I'm thinking the speculation that Seth is a teacher is...uh...odd. I mean he's only 18, yes?

Yeah, but he's 45 in real life. That has to count for something.

Edited by Buono, May 19, 2006 @ 8:49 AM.

roybetter

roybetter

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 11:48 AM

Where is that press release from?

Anyway, if they want to rehash the first season a bit they will have Ryan go to school and do the whole fish out of water story again.

gilliang

gilliang

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 11:52 AM

All I need to see is Marissa's funeral. I think that would be a great scene to have with a lot of emotion. Speeches from Julie and possibly Ryan and Summer would be extremely sad but would make for good TV. If TPTB decide to skip completely over all of this kind of stuff I will be extremely disappointed. I think it's only fair that they pay tribute to her one last time.

satis75

satis75

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 11:59 AM

Re: Seth being a teacher.
In California public school teachers and substitutes must have have gone to college and have the required credentials. Teacher Requirements Substitute Requirements
Private schools make their own rules in hiring teachers and subs. So while Seth could not work at that horrible horrible public school Newport Union, he might work at Harbor.

And of course Willow taught Miss Callender's class when she was supposed to be about 15. Makes Seth seem positively elderly by comparison.

Ah tv is so original sometimes.

aurora621

aurora621

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 12:10 PM

Thank the Lord for Taylor Townsend's return. She is comedy gold.

iamnotafish

iamnotafish

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 12:10 PM

I'd love to see Julie Cooper return to her original roots as the conniving beeotch that we all knew and hated. She could blame Ryan (totally understandable - she always had reservations about him and would need someone to blame).

But her and Ryan teaming up to take out Volchok? That would be pretty cool too.

I don't like how the little sister's getting more time. I'd rather they brought back Anna. Although giving Autumn Reeser more screentime as a full cast member? She was cute initially, but then got a little annoying with her constant "are we friends? can i be your friend? i'm so alone ... lets be friends!" Christ it did my head in. As long as they move off that, I think she has potential to be an interesting character.

BigVipin2G

BigVipin2G

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 12:35 PM

Maybe Seth has to get a job as part of his punishment for accidentally setting the fire at the Newport Group. He could be a TA in art or the sailing coach.

Yeah, while it sounds weird, initially, there are some ways I could see "Seth teaches" working, and not seeming completely random. Like, he needs a job, and finds out there's an opening to head up some not-so-important elective, where he's not necessarily sitting at a desk in the front of a classroom, going on and on about history or whatever. If done correctly, it could be interesting seeing him in a position of power, in school, seeing it from a different kind of outside.

But the main reason I can't complain is that, if we're going to have to watch Kaitlin "rule the school," I'd rather have Seth there, bridging the gap between her world and everyone else's. Otherwise, her scenes might seem too spin-offy.

Edited by BigVipin2G, May 19, 2006 @ 12:38 PM.

lastgrrl

lastgrrl

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 12:37 PM

"Welcome to the Kaitlin wanna be bad hour, bitch!" That's what it's going to be. Kaitlin doing drugs. Kaitlin getting into fights. Kaitlin out of control.

Oh but wait? Here's the "originality." Kaitlin meets a boy who changes her. It's going to be Marissa Cooper in a male body. You watch. Kaitlin is going to have three friends. It's going to be a repeat.

Seth teaching is a cop out for a plot to keep him in Harbor. Yawn.

Oh and Summer? It'll be like this, "I can't live without you Cohen at Brown! I'm coming home." Yech and then I get more Seth/Summer mush thrown in my face.

Ryan should be bad ass. That's about the only salvation of Marissa dying. That's it.

Goodbye O.C.

Big Lob

Big Lob

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 12:50 PM

then I get more Seth/Summer mush thrown in my face.

I like the Seth/Summer mush, personally. Bring it on, I say!

The Chrismukkah episode has the potential to be very good if it's the big moment for all the characters to come together after being scattered all season long.

goodnightandgoo

goodnightandgoo

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 1:38 PM

I think next year they should do an eating disorder storyline. That's, like, the only teen show storyline they haven't done yet.

I also think they have to add a gay character to the show as a semi-regular. We need some gay drama!

Edited by goodnightandgoo, May 19, 2006 @ 1:40 PM.

Bela1812

Bela1812

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 1:54 PM

Yech and then I get more Seth/Summer mush thrown in my face.

I'd rather get an entire hour of Seth/Summer mush than 5 minutes of Marissa/Johnny.

I'm so looking forward to Julie's reaction to Marissa's death. Will she blame Ryan? Volchok? I guess we will go back to devious Julie, yay! I'd like some conflict between Julie and the Cohens. I guess I'm still bitter that we never saw her having to apologize to Ryan for trying to frame him for Trey's shooting.
Let's hope Kirsten gets a decent storyline in S4, go back to the Newport Group, open an art gallery, have her do something other than sit in that kitchen and drink tea, don't waste Kelly Rowan's talent.
As for Ryan, I expect a lot of angst, the boy has to break down at some point. And I'm sure the Theresa/baby storyline will return.

babyblues

babyblues

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 2:41 PM

Here's what I think is gonna happen as Josh writes Season 4:

Given the fact that Ryan is in college or will be getting ready to start and Marissa is now food for the worms.

I think that given the facts of what we've learned at the end of Season 3 that Sandy is going back into defending juvials like Ryan who were in a bad situation and helping them on the right track. Also, the fact that Caitlyn has officially returned as a regular in season 4, the new an improved Marissa clone 2.0.

What I think is gonna happen Sandy will met a boy similar to Ryan in ways and helps him thus bringing him home seeing as how Sandy and Kirsten now have a 'empty nest' now, and he'll live with them and go to Harbor High. Caitlyn will meet him who is basically a clone of Marissa. They fall in love from the first meeting like R/M did before.

Remember this is while Ryan is away in college. And of course we'll follow Ryan learning to love again without Marissa. I think the new guy and Caitlyn will be the new Ryan and Marissa.

The writers are gonna have to do something to try and bring back the old R/M shippers who felt they were driven away once they killed Marissa.

lastgrrl

lastgrrl

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 2:43 PM

I'd rather have Ryan/Marissa drama then Zach/Seth/summer any day of the week.

Hadeben

Hadeben

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 2:45 PM

On a sorta unrelated note:

-That scene where Marissa/Kaitlin/Julie hugged...is there even a family that pretty in the entire world?

thegame169

thegame169

Just Tuned In

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 4:51 PM

Off-topic.

Edited by Sara M, May 23, 2006 @ 3:23 AM.