6-24: "Way To Go" 2006.05.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

426 replies to this topic

shootingstars

shootingstars

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:01 PM

In the season finale, the CSIs wait by the bedside of one of their own when he's shot in the line of duty. One CSI faces a hard choice by having the power of attorney over their injured friend and colleague. Meanwhile, the team also investigates the strange way of life of one man when he is found decapitated by a train. TVGuide.com

I LOVED this episode. The case was bizarre. I loved Nick's line to Grissom in the beginning about not confusing a bald severed heads with the other ones he might find.

Brass didn't die!. Kind of expected. But good.

Grissom and Sara! I'm so excited about that. Hopefully they don't drop that storyline completely next year.

Edited by shootingstars, May 18, 2006 @ 9:03 PM.

sudira

sudira

Just Tuned In

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:04 PM

My cable had been out for the last 2 hours. Someone please tell me what happened!

Murphy987

Murphy987

Stalker

Squeee!!!!

Except for the last few minutes, I thought that was a really lack-luster episode. However, the last 5 minutes made me cheer like a pom-pom waving cheerleader.

I'm so glad I wasn't spoiled for the ending (either Brass or GeekLove).

Edited by Murphy987, May 18, 2006 @ 9:09 PM.

Marabet

Marabet

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:05 PM

The semi-redemption of Ellie Brass! Very nice. And that on top of them not killing off Brass, which is good because it means that I don't have to assemble an angry mob, find pitchforks, light torches and head to the CBS offices in L.A. Woohoo.

Was spoiled for the ending, so all I was thinking, really, is, "man, that's an ugly shirt." On Grissom, that is. Sara looked lovely with the wet hair, robe, et al.

My waist is still hurting from just thinking about that corset.

Why, oh why, did they feel the need to shoehorn not one but two casefiles into this ep? One would have been plenty. The DiabeticGuy SL didn't have interesting science, interesting people or an interesting resolution, and its "message" was so heavy-handed that I nearly fell asleep.

My cable had been out for the last 2 hours. Someone please tell me what happened!

Awright. Episode starts from Brass's perspective just before he gets shot. We see him rushed to the hospital; also see a flashback in which he tells Grissom he loves Ellie but can't rely on her, and asks Grissom to hold his medical power of attorney. Grissom agrees. Back in the present day, the team is told that one bullet is threatening his life, and Grissom is told he has to decide whether Brass should have surgery to remove it. Either approach has risks. He tells them to go ahead with the surgery. He also calls Ellie, who eventually shows up at the hospital.

Meanwhile, Nicky, Sara and Grissom are investigating a case of a headless body found on train tracks with a 19-inch waist. Freaky. Grissom, of course, turns out to know all about corsets, as he tells Sara in a cute little scene around which the ghost of Lady Heather hangs heavily, though it's not mentioned explicitly. CorsetGuy turns out to be a Civil War buff whose great-grandfather was a Confederate soldier and, as was common at the time, wore a corset that gave him a teeny waist. 19-inch guy was doing the same thing, in addition to participating in very realistic battle re-enactments. Realistic enough that he challenged a guy to a duel for talking on a cell phone during a battle, and shot CellPhoneGuy with a real bullet (non-fatally). Another cute Grissom/Sara scene with them re-enacting the duelers' pacing, armed with cameras and vests.

Meanwhile, Warrick and Catherine are investigating a case of a dead guy found in a hotel room. One of the most boring ever. Turns out that he had a family history of heart disease, diabetes and early death. When he turned 40, his sister said, he saw it as a death sentence. So, he went on a bender involving booze, hookers and more, and died of diabetic shock. Warrick engages in some non-appropriate chastising of this attitude to dead guy's sister; she takes it poorly.

Back to CorsetGuy: After he really shot his dueling opponent, he was in a crazy killing mood and wanted to finish the job. So, his driver/assistant shot him to stop him, and the shot turned out to be fatal. Rather than leaving him to the indignity of being found dead in a field, the driver left the body on the train tracks because CorsetGuy's great-grandfather died stopping a Union train. Yes, this is a Jerry Stahl episode, why do you ask?

Anyway, Brass's surgery doesn't go horribly, but he's still comatose afterwards. CSIs drift in and out of the hospital. Ellie shows up, sans track marks on her arms, and chats a bit with a few of Our Gang, including Grissom and Warrick. She seems to be feeling genuine human emotion. Of course, she also calls payroll to check out the status of Brass's pension. This pisses off Sofia, who asks Grissom for permission to run Ellie out of town. It's not granted. Instead, Grissom brings Ellie into Brass's office, where she sees the photo of her as a little girl that Brass keeps on his desk. She keeps acting like a human being. A disappointed Sofia puts away her machete.

Back at the hospital the gang is around when Brass goes into Code Blue. Beepbeepbeepbeepbeep. He's stabilized, opens his eyes...and then sees Ellie. She walks away. Grissom comes in and gives him some water a bit later; the rest of the gang stand at the window, waving and looking happy.

Oh, at some point during all this, Catherine gets a call on her cell from Lindsey, who is trying to hold her to some plans to go see a movie or something. Catherine gets pissed at Lindsey apparently getting pissed, because God knows teenagers are always trying to do things with their parents. Lindsey's age now: 14.

ANYWAY, at the very end of the episode, Grissom is lying on a bed somewhere, wearing a fugly Hawaiian-ish shirt, talking about how he'd like to die. He'd like plenty of time to say goodbye. Actually, he'd like to die of cancer. The camera spins around the room, finally coming to rest on the lower half of a robe-clad body walking into the room toward him. It's Sara, with wet hair. She walks over to him and says, "I'm not ready to say goodbye." CLICK.

Edited by Marabet, May 18, 2006 @ 9:20 PM.

almightyisis

almightyisis

Video Archivist

WTF!!! Give me a break! I hate Grissom with Sara - Ugh.

The story was meh the only good thing is Yeah Brass is ok!!

Sheldon

Sheldon

Video Archivist

Squee!! here too. I knew it was coming but the last few seconds still put this big old smile on my face. FINALLY!

lay-lay

lay-lay

Channel Surfer

SQUEEE!

Also, I LOVED the teaser, it was really well done and we had the return of Punny!Gil and the pre-credit zinger. The camera work and the out-of-body with Brass that slams back when the defib goes off was so great.

The murders were pretty blah to me, though I did find myself saying, "I can't believe they hadn't done Civil War Reinactors as one of their strange sub-populations yet!" Just seems so...CSI.

I'm struck by Warrick's demeanor to the sister of the dead guy...still working on an opinion. Also, someone needs to smack Catherine and adopt Lindsay.

And though I am admittedly a GSR fan, even I couldn't help thinking, "Really? That shirt?? That robe???"

crystalanneg

crystalanneg

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:07 PM

every G/S shipper is going to be dancing the happy dance after tonight.

My roomate was just one of them.

Other than that, I thought we had to wait a damn long time for all the good stuff to happen, but it was still a pretty good night

Halcyone

Halcyone

Fanatic

Whew. I'm so glad that's over. Even though I was spoiled all the way to hell and back, my heart started beating hard every time I saw Brass in that hospital bed. I'm a silly little Brass fangirl, I admit it. (Do I feel evil and dirty for ogling his fuzzy chest in the opening sequence? Maybe just little.)

And Ellie wasn't as bad as I thought she'd be. She was written and acted sympathetically, and Grissom handled her well.

I'm almost sorry I was spoiled for the final GSR reveal. Even with all the clues we've been getting lately, it was still something of a jaw-dropper. Let the squeeing and moaning commence. I'll be in the "withholding judgement until I see what happens next season" corner, possibly all alone.

Oh, and Grissom's got some fugly pajamas. Even Sara's robe was a bit more traditional than I'd have expected of her. Weird. I'm going to have to go back and check out the bedroom in greater detail, though. I love seeing character's homes.

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

• Interests:Red Sox, Patriots, sci-fi, history, literature, crime shows (but not CSI:Miami)

THANK GOD; BRASS LIVES!

"This is a toupee. Nick!"
"Yeah?"
"This guy might be bald."
"Thanks....because that will set him apart from all the other severed heads hidden in the nearby brush."

God, Ellie's a bitch. Though, the bit with the photo redeemed her somewhat.

However, the "fan club" was amazing; I felt so sorry for lonely Brass early on ("We don't hang out"), and then seeing the whole team almost on the verge of tears with relief....well, put me on the verge of tears.

Good ep; it could have been any other ep, except for the tension of waiting for news about Brass. And I think that's pretty good.

Edited by GoldfishGirl42, May 18, 2006 @ 9:11 PM.

shootingstars

shootingstars

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:08 PM

Case: Dead/decapitated/deformed body found on train tracks. Head found near by. Some guy was into the Civil War and wore a corset. He did reenactments and got mad at some other guy for using a cell phone. They had a duel but the corset guy used a real gun and shot the other guy (he didn't die). Corset guy's driver tried to stop him and accidentally shot him. Driver placed corset guy on the train tracks because corset guy's great grandfather or something died that way in the Civil War.

Brass: Brass had put Grisosm in charge of his life. Grissom opted for surgery. Ellie came and wanted money out of it. Brass got better, Ellie seemed emotionally effected.

My favorite part?: The end. Grissom is in some kind of Hawaiian pajama shirt talking about dying. He'd like to be diagnosed with cancer so he can prepare to die and say goodbye to loved ones. Camera flashes to a doorway, out comes Sara in a robe. She kneels down and says shes not ready to say goodbye.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:09 PM

sudira-Short version...Ellie drops in to be a greedy brat, does seem happy daddy didn't croak, but bolts literally the second dad comes to and attempts to wave at her. Some bozo decided that because everybody in his family died of heart attacks in thier 40s for his fortieth he went on a drug/alcohol/sugar/hooker binge and croaked when it was too much for his body to take. Some other freak who was into Civil War recreation which included corsetting himself into deformity, flipped, tried to shoot somebody for real, and was accidentally killed by his valet who was just trying to stop his homicidal psychotic binge. To cover up what a freak his master was the valet put his body on trains tracks to give him an honorable death which is how his head went missing. And in the BIG news for all the shippers on the Geek Love boat, Grissom and Sarah are DEFINATELY doing the nasty, Enjoy.

Edited by MDKNIGHT, May 18, 2006 @ 9:11 PM.

Albino Girl

Albino Girl

Couch Potato

What the fuck? No, I mean really, what the fucking fuck? I have nothing else to say until the shock wears off on that topic.

In other news:

Yea!! Brass survives! I loved the "fan club". That's where I got teary-eyed. But I really, really loved how complex the Ellie visit was played out. No simple reunion with lots of "I love you's" or "I missed you's" or simply there for the money but a weird combination of both. Very messy and complicated - just like real life.

The two "mysteries" were Meh to the nth degree.

Will post more when I can form a coherent thought.

karashi

karashi

Fanatic

Bleah for Gris with Sara - but I'm not terribly against it, just not feeling it.

Also, how come no one was hugging Nicky outside of Brass' hospital room? Having Greg do it would've been an awesome 'in' joke by the writers (disclaimer for the Het!Really fans - not that I mean anything about real life or the character, it just would've been funny.) Everyone else got a hug!

Totally agree that the B-plot should've been dropped. Borrrring.

And brrr for corsets.

sudira

sudira

Just Tuned In

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:12 PM

Thanks guys! Was the GSR really wonderful? I was spoiled but I still so wanted to *see* it myself!

ebonygoddess

ebonygoddess

Fanatic

Gil and Sara. God, why have you forsaken me?

shootingstars

shootingstars

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:13 PM

Wait so the CSI picture: Nick's cut...what was that about. Greg with some card in his pocket? He was hardly in the episode. What did Sara have hidden in her pocket (that Ausiello mentioned). Warrick's missing wedding ring? Tina was even't mentioned in this episode and although they had that kind of fight last week, it didn't seem like a real break up. Or a divorce.

dryadfemme

dryadfemme

Channel Surfer

I’m a Gil/Sara shipper, so that ending redeemed the episode for me. However, all the inaccuracies about corsets made me want to throw things at the TV.

First of all, properly fitted corsets aren’t painful. Most people normally only lace down from between 2-4 inches, or 6, if their body is particularly squishy. People who have much more drastic reductions, like the 19-inch guy in the episode, would have been training for years, and their body would have gradually and for the most part painlessly adapted to the corset. There may be some discomfort when you lace down tighter than usual, but if the man was used to wearing a 19-inch corset every day, there’s no way he should be in excruciating pain.

Also, back-lacking corsets can be laced up by oneself – there’s no need for a dresser such as was talked about in the episode. It’s not as fast to lace a corset up by oneself and it generally requires the use of a mirror, but it’s still very doable.

Still, squeeeee about the ending, and the fact that Brass survived.

(Edited for punctuation.)

Edited by dryadfemme, May 18, 2006 @ 9:22 PM.

RandomWatcher

RandomWatcher

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:15 PM

"This is a toupee. Nick!"
"Yeah?"
"This guy might be bald."
"Thanks....because that will set him apart from all the other severed heads hidden in the nearby brush."

One of the best quips of the night.

As the comic book guy from the Simpsons would say.. 'Best ending ever'. This is going to make all the Gil/Sara shippers very happy.

murf1013

murf1013

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:21 PM

This show is dead. to. me.

slyest romantic

slyest romantic

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:22 PM

-"David, are you finding the liver or practicing acupuncture?" Heh.

-"I feel fat." Great line by Sara!

-"That will help me point it out among all the other decapitated heads I'll find." Nick! LOL!

-In fact, this ep had a really nice vein of dark humour throughout. The entire Civil War story was cheekily dark. It was a nice balance in comparison to what was going on with Brass.

-The corset dude? Owie.

-Great reactions tonight. Perfect reaction by Catherine/MH when David brought the bodybag in and she thought for a split second that it was Brass. It was very honest. As was the corset seller when he saw the photo of the corset dude. For once, we got a real reaction (I thought) to seeing a dead person, even if only in a photo. The way he stumbled and stuttered seemed incredibly realistic.

-You know what I kept thinking about Brass, though? Both at the very beginning and right near the end -would someone please hold his hand? Please? He kept reaching out and no one would hold his damn hand. *sniff*

-The end? That sound you heard was a million unspoiled jaws hitting the floor. Great ending, open to hundreds of conversations, one interpretation and zero argument from G/S naysayers.

shootingstars

shootingstars

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:22 PM

Was the GSR really wonderful? I was spoiled but I still so wanted to *see* it myself!

I wouldn't go as far as calling it "wonderful" because I think there could have been something more. But it cute. And what was especially cute was when they reenacted the duel and after they took 10 steps they both turned around and took pictures of each other (the cameras were the "guns").

I wonder what my reaction would have been to the last scene if I hadn't read spoilers.

Totally agree that the B-plot should've been dropped. Borrrring.

Definitely. I totally forgot about that case.

isobel429

isobel429

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:26 PM

I know I'll be in the minority here, but I can't believe they actually went there. Like magic Grissom has overcome all his issues regarding Sara and, presto, he's on her bed confiding to her how he wants to die from cancer so he has time to tell everyone how much he cares about them...oh, yeeah, because he handles his emotions so openly...like his whole hearing loss problem. You know, the one he attended to so quickly and shared so well with all his friends and co-workers. IMO what happened during the last five minutes of tonight's show was the character assassination of Gil Grissom. Summer cliffhanger? Personally, next season I'm hoping Gil wakes up in the shower, walks out into his own bedroom (in just a towel - no fugley Hawaiian shirt) to discover what a horrible nightmare he had about Brass and Sara...

Albino Girl

Albino Girl

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:28 PM

Adding a new reply rather than editing because I wanted to comment on dryadfemme's post and I hate those time-warped edits. They make my head hurt trying to jump to the post that's being commented on. Apologies if this is incorrect procedure.

I, too, was under the impression that body-modifying corsets were done gradually over a period of many years although there would be some discomfort involved. However, I didn't mind the "dresser" as it lent to the victim's need for "authenticity" to the period he was re-creating.

Anyway, the whole GSR thing was a shock to me as I was totally unspoiled for it. Hence my previous reaction. Anyway, allow me to join you in the "reserving judgement" corner,Halcyone. I'll bring cookies and booze. Lots of booze. You're not diabetic, by any chance? If so, I'll bring sugar-free cookies.

Banana Tooth

Banana Tooth

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:30 PM

Grissom was on a roll tonight. First the Fugly Hat, and then...and then...

THAT ROBE!

As they say in the Little House thread, pass the brain bleach, please.

Best line of the night?

"How old?"
"Fourteen. Supposedly."

BWAH!

sudira

sudira

Just Tuned In

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:28 PM

Okay, I've seen the end scene at omaetoy.net (bless her!). Was the the first hint they Grissom and Sara are together? I really wanted to see a kiss! Oh, well, I'm still thrilled!

Murphy987

Murphy987

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:29 PM

So, I took the last scene to mean that Sara and Gil have been together for some time now. That conversation seemed quite intimate to me, and I just thought that it showed how close these two people have become. Did other people see it that way?

Edited by Murphy987, May 18, 2006 @ 9:31 PM.

linderhill

linderhill

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:36 PM

What the fuck? No, I mean really, what the fucking fuck? I have nothing else to say until the shock wears off on that topic.

I'm with Albino Girl, that last scene was completely ridiculous. It would have been a much better resolution to the episode if we'd just seen the "fan club." The last scene, whether I'm a shipper or not, seemed like it was just tacked on. It was very jolting, to see Grissom monologueing about dying in a funky print shirt. Stupid. I said it before and I'll say it again: the Grissom/Sara relationship is one of the most cliched, over used plot devices on television...gawd how stupid. I may have to swear off of the series if this idiocy continues. *gag*

eta: to quote Banana Tooth As they say in the Little House thread, pass the brain bleach, please.

Edited by linderhill, May 18, 2006 @ 9:38 PM.

shootingstars

shootingstars

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:36 PM

Did other people see it that way?

Definitely. And especially because after he said he wanted to be able to say goodbye to people he loves, Sara responded by saying, "I'm not ready to say goodbye yet." (Or something along those lines) If they had just gotten together like that night, that would have been a weird response.

I just wish we had some indication as to how long there has been something going on for.

I really wanted to see a kiss! Oh, well, I'm still thrilled!

You're not alone!

Sheldon

Sheldon

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:37 PM

That's how I took it Murphy...that this was no "newly minted" relationship. I mean the word "love" was used.

Oh..and was "creepy corset guy" the station dude on Frasier who used to have the hots on Ros?? I think his character was Noel?