Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion: "It's Not What You Think"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

16615 replies to this topic

Tox

Tox

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV, duh.

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 1:07 AM

We got a green light on a thread for speculation based on spoilers, so I figured I'd set it in motion, even though with the finale next week, it'll be a while before we start putting the thread to good use.

So now, we can keep the spoiler thread strictly for spoilers. If you want to go into in-depth discussions about those spoilers, you can bring that over here. Sounds fair enough :)

shirty sheep

shirty sheep

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 2:16 AM

HOUSE GETS SHOT, shot I tell you, shot and then maybe shot again. Did I mention he gets shot?

Bang bang, as it were, or to put it another way - he gets shot!

By a gun.

Shot.

er, right... I feel better now.

What I want to know is: what is the speculation re:

A: on the final scene of the promo with the blood dripping hand. Is it House? Is he actually dead (well probably not) or wot?

and

B: what exactly is the 'big cliffhanger' going to be?

C: and why would he whack Wilson?

For example, is he going to have a big mid life crisis and leave the hospital (provided be didn't die horribly from being shot) or some such.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 2:35 AM

You know, I kinda get the feeling he'll punch Wilson just to see if this is all a dream. You know, how people say "pinch me." House is totally the kind of guy who pinches other people instead.

House: Did it hurt?
Wilson: Yeah! God! What is wrong with you?
House: Oh, so it's not a dream.

I really can't see him hurting Wilson on purpose. I think that part will be a hallucination. Or maybe he's subconsciously pissed at Wilson for something and lets out that frustration in his dream.

nomad1328

nomad1328

Just Tuned In

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 2:50 AM

I thought that earlier spoilers said that House gets pissed at Wilson because he blames him for taking his leg pain away... sooooo... just speculation here, but.... Don't know where I read that either.

Tox

Tox

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 4:00 AM

A: on the final scene of the promo with the blood dripping hand. Is it House? Is he actually dead (well probably not) or wot?

and

B: what exactly is the 'big cliffhanger' going to be?

I hope they don't pull a "OMG IS HOUSE DEAD?!" cliffhanger 'cause we all know he ain't gonna die as long as the show's named after him and all that good stuff. Maybe he crashes in the ICU after being shot. Cue hallucinations?

And I never understood the Wilson-faulted-for-lack-of-leg-pain spoilers. What the freak does Wilson have to do with House's painfree-ness?

clearwaves

clearwaves

Fanatic

• Interests:Um, why?

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 4:49 AM

and why would he whack Wilson?

Who wouldn't? Obviously, Wilson said something to House that set him off. Maybe went after House about his diagnosis of a patient while he is injured. The hitting Wilson is no surprise, since we saw House smacked with the cane before.

Will they ever give Chase something to do?

What the freak does Wilson have to do with House's painfree-ness?

I suspect the preview is misleading.

My guess? The shooter. I remember reading somewhere that someone gets shot and someone shoots somebody. Could this be it?

Alipeeps

Alipeeps

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 6:48 AM

Bringing this over from the spoiler thread as it seems more appropriate to here:

But the other thing I wanted to ask - the final scene of the trailer - who is on the table dripping blood everywhere when House says "Oh dear". I know the trailers make the episode seem far more dramatic than it actually is, but ???

Yeah that scene really makes me wonder... given that we know that some of what we will see in the ep is not real/hallucinated (and I personally suspect that everything from the shooting onwards will turn out to be House hallucinating whilst in real-life he's in surgery to save his life) and given that the ep has been compared in some ways to Three Stories (in which House had a "near death/hallucination" experience where he was in a hospital gown seeing snippets of other patients' lives etc) and from the shocked expression on House's face... it really does make you wonder just who is flatlining in that scene eh?

Is the end of season cliffhanger gonna turn out to be a "Does House survive?" one after all? Although, tbh that wouldn't really be much of a cliffhanger given that we know they're picked up for Season 3 and that the show couldn't continue without the central character!

sasmom

sasmom

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 7:07 AM

I think a possible cliffhanger might be is "what state House will be in next year?" Why is he having the hallucinations? Did he OD on morphine? When he was shot was he on morphine for the pain without anyone knowing? (In other words was he not really shot, but it was imagined by House?)

Did they give him more morphine for the pain (very common to get morphine for the kind of pain he'd be in for a stomach wound caused by being shot at point-blank range)? Therefore he'd OD?

Gunshot wound like that would cause massive bleeding. House is undoubtably in shock within a short time, despite the being in a hospital from the blood loss. Are the hallucinations occurring while they are working on him? Is his life hanging by a thread and the "experiences" are sort of out-of-body experiences as House's life hangs on by a thread?

I wonder if the "hallucinations" form for House a sort of trial he puts himself on as he hovers between life and death, a sort of taking himself to task as he tries (or doesn't try) to muster up the will to continue living. He sorts out his life; his choices; his interactions with others?

The body at the end of the preview: At first I thought it was House seeing himself in the aftermath of the shooting. Now I wonder if it's a patient. Somewhere I remember a spoiler that said the the reason the guy shot House was that his wife (the patient) committed suicide because of something House said to her. Maybe the body is the wife, who he imagines seeing lying dead with slit wrists (it did look like the blood was coming from he body's arm). He is horrified at the idea that House "the healer" has indirectly caused this woman's horrible death. I could absolutely see House (especially after seeing in Who's Your Daddy) harboring terrible guilt for this, and maybe not wanting to survive the gunshot wound.

Also, when he falls to the floor in the hospital, I thought I caught a brief moment in which we see House in the clothes he was wearing when he was shot. The fall in the corridor maybe is a parallel to when he was shot. Maybe that's how he "wakes up" rather than in a bed in ICU...or maybe it's part of his twisted reality.

Is it Tuesday yet?

Lilian

Lilian

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 7:16 AM

One of the promo shots I saw somewhere showed someone (presumably House) being rolled into the ER surrounded by the ducklings. The weird thing is that the gurney is being pushed by what appear to be EMTs and it's more an ambulance style gurney than a hospital one. If House really was shot in the hospital I doubt EMTs would be involved. Might lend credence to the idea that even the shooting is a halluncination brought on by an OD.

I agree with sasmom on the cliff hanger. Didn't David Shore say that House would be examining how he'd lived his life and the choices he made? I could definitely see that being the cliff hanger. House wakes up from an OD and we don't see until next summer if he'll be a changed man. That would also give them an intro to deal with the vicodin next season.

Edited by Lilian, May 18, 2006 @ 7:18 AM.

to21b

to21b

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 7:44 AM

But the other thing I wanted to ask - the final scene of the trailer - who is on the table dripping blood everywhere when House says "Oh dear". I know the trailers make the episode seem far more dramatic than it actually is, but ???

That's gotta be the PotW. Would make sense since House demonstrated the machine thingie to him earlier with Cameron as a test subject and the bloody hand does kinda look male to me. Foreman says "You are killing a man" and the threatening looking machine thingie descends toward a patient.
I think it could be that because he's feeling guilty, House creates another 'killing a patient' incident 'inside' his hallucination to correspond with the 'outside' killing of Moriarty's wife (?). If Moriarty was the patient though... I guess it wouldn't make as much sense.

Near the end of the clip there's a shot of Chase finding a bullet(?) and he has one of those revelation!-type expressions on his face. Anyone think this is relevant? (Could it be the bullet that only grazed House's neck?)

My new theory is that what's causing the hallucinations is in fact a poisoned bullet. (I'm not entirely serious... I think).

Also. House handcuffed to the bed could be his confused interpretation of being in restraints for keeping to want to get up, or something.

I can't wait a week!

Namaste

Namaste

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 7:49 AM

I think the promo shot of the EMT guys bringing a guy in on a gurney could be the shooter. Didn't one of the spoilers say that the guy was shot himself by a security guard outside the hospital?

It's clear to me that a lot of the stuff that we'll be seeing is a hallucination, but I haven't been able to figure out if the shooting itself is a hallucination. If, perhaps, the whole thing is a reaction to his self-medicated morphine. But I'd hate for everything to be a dream .... so many questions, so much time between now and Tuesday.

(And I'll be in the Toronto area on business Tuesday night, so no instant TiVo rewind for me. It is readily available there though, right?)

Alipeeps

Alipeeps

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 7:52 AM

Interesting idea about the possible morphine OD and that maybe everything, including the shooting, is an hallucinaton relating to that... my only sticking point with that would be that surely a doctor - and one as clever as House - would know enough about dosages etc to not OD on the morphine? Unless he was so in pain and so distracted and just wanted to do anything to make it stop... and then we're moving into the territory of "was it deliberate?" Did he maybe, even subsconsciously, choose to take to much?

Again, is it Tuesday yet?!!

One of the promo shots I saw somewhere showed someone (presumably House) being rolled into the ER surrounded by the ducklings. The weird thing is that the gurney is being pushed by what appear to be EMTs and it's more an ambulance style gurney than a hospital one. If House really was shot in the hospital I doubt EMTs would be involved. Might lend credence to the idea that even the shooting is a halluncination brought on by an OD.

On this subject - in the screencaps of the promo ad there is a brief scene of House (it's definitely House and he's wearing the same clothes as in the scene where he was shot) being wheeled towards (I assume) ER and the gurney (I've no idea whether it is more like an ambulance gurney than a hospital one)n is surrounded by the ducklings and what looks, to me, more like a security guard than an EMT... I could be wrong though...

to21b

to21b

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 8:19 AM

The weird thing is that the gurney is being pushed by what appear to be EMTs and it's more an ambulance style gurney than a hospital one. If House really was shot in the hospital I doubt EMTs would be involved. Lilian

I would think that Foreman (or another duckling if they are present at the shooting) would call ahead to the ER to expect a gunshot victim. As far as we've seen on the floor where the conference room is there are only private patient rooms. It might take just as long to get a gurney from another floor as it would for the ER to send one up. (There might just have been an EMT crew with gurney inside the ER after dropping off another patient.)

sasmom

sasmom

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 9:25 AM

I saw that and was wondering the same thing. It's definitely House on the Gurney. White shirt, jeans. He's not covered though, as if it was a rush job. I would think that if they brought him 'in", he'd be strapped to the gurney and covered with a blanket. But it was emts handling him with the team at his side. I guess we'll just have to wait.

He actually says "oh God." His look was one of horror.

Interesting idea about the possible morphine OD and that maybe everything, including the shooting, is an hallucinaton relating to that... my only sticking point with that would be that surely a doctor - and one as clever as House - would know enough about dosages etc to not OD on the morphine? Unless he was so in pain and so distracted and just wanted to do anything to make it stop... and then we're moving into the territory of "was it deliberate?" Did he maybe, even subsconsciously, choose to take to much?

Deliberate? Hmmm. Possibly. but I agree that he would know how much he needed to dose himself. So, if the shooting is real and he's getting pain meds (I've already said this so I apologize for repeating myself, but there are so many wonderful speculations here!) maybe they give him morphine or similar, but he's already dosed himself with morphine at home to deal with the pain...so maybe the dose that they give him at the hospital sends him over the edge into the loopiness he's experiencing!

peliroja

peliroja

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 10:16 AM

Also, I was thinking that they have had coma guy on all season long. Do you think he wakes up at some point? That all of this is his dream of what happens to House? Particularly when you think of what he has been through from House, and what he has heard House talking about.

sautomne

sautomne

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 11:15 AM

He actually says "oh God." His look was one of horror.

The look on House's face is actually what made me think that he was staring down at his own body. I think it takes a lot to shock House. Of course, he also could've made a bad diagnosis, and caused harm to a patient, and is therefore horrified when he sees that.

Also. House handcuffed to the bed could be his confused interpretation of being in restraints for keeping to want to get up, or something.

Is that House who is handcuffed to the bed? I had assumed that it was Moriarty, since he was the shooter.

Then again, perhaps House did OD on Morphine and people suspected that it was "deliberate". He could be cuffed to the bed to prevent further harm to himself.

And I just have to ask, am I the only one whose mind goes to a Very Inappropriate Place at the mention on House, handcuffs, and bed all in the same sentence?

The hallucination/near death theory seems more and more convincing, except for the fact that those things already happened to House in Three Stories. I think that David Shore would try to come up with something completely different.

We could all be completely off the mark, but it is fun speculating about the finale no matter how accurate/inaccurate we turn out to be!

Boudleaux

Boudleaux

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 11:24 AM

What about the ducklings in the finale? Do you think that something might have happened to one of them - say, Cameron - and that's why House is saying "Oh God"? Maybe it is too soon after the whole Foreman thing but House is protective of Cameron and I could see him reacting like that if she were seriously injured.

Sorry if that idea is stupid. I really need to watch that preview again. Really I'm just sitting here trying to avoid actual work.

shirty sheep

shirty sheep

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 1:30 PM

And I just have to ask, am I the only one whose mind goes to a Very Inappropriate Place at the mention on House, handcuffs, and bed all in the same sentence?

Oh come on - you know Cuddy's been dying to tie him up for years. I bet Evil Nurse Brenda and the rest of the nurses would be going "yes - REVENGE" if House were a patient.

Have you seen the great promo ads (up on Hugh Larie.net) that say 'who wouldn't want to shoot him?'

Not really a speculation, unless the big cliffhanger is House leaving PPTH and moving to Florida so we have House, Miami - But is it just me, but you know at the beginning of the trailer they have that guy say dramatically "next week on House" and House turns and smirks to the camera - to me he looks exactly like (and I want to say, but I am not all that au fait with American TV) David Caruso from some CSI type show?

Tox

Tox

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 3:04 PM

Is that House who is handcuffed to the bed? I had assumed that it was Moriarty, since he was the shooter.

I know there was some spoiler-talk a while back that House would be handcuffed [as well], but we'll have to see if/how/why that plays out.

One of the promo pics on the Fox page had Cameron telling House to get back to bed or something. Maybe he gets cuffed 'cause he keeps wandering off?

Taiga

Taiga

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 3:19 PM

Boudleaux, I had the same thought - maybe another doctor, likely one of the ducklings, is also shot.

I was thinking that they have had coma guy on all season long. Do you think he wakes up at some point? That all of this is his dream of what happens to House?

That's my theory for the SERIES finale! (grin)
Does morphine make you hallucinate?

peliroja

peliroja

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 3:35 PM

That's my theory for the SERIES finale! (grin)

So then Coma Guy would come out of the shower and surprise Suzanne Pleshette in bed, where she tells him about the strange dream she had about a hospital?

tobia

tobia

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 5:29 PM

House turns and smirks to the camera - to me he looks exactly like (and I want to say, but I am not all that au fait with American TV) David Caruso from some CSI type show?

Don't say that! Hugh Laurie is talented and pretty, and CSI: Miami is overracted (the main culprit, I believe, being Caruso) and laughably bed.

I hope this isn't all morphine hallucinations. I think it would be interesting to see the ripples (sigh, how I miss you JoA ) of House et al. dealing with his getting shot.

Taiga

Taiga

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 5:52 PM

From the House character thread:

I'm beginning to think that the "shooting" and subsequent actions aren't real. Not just that House is hallucinating what happens after he's shot, but rather that the entire incident is the result of an overdose. Or perhaps when he's shot in the stomach, it's because he's having some liver issues related to his long term Vicodin use?

I'm wondering that too, Namaste. If he'd overdosed on Vicodin and they had to shove a tube down his throat and pump his stomach, that would make his neck and stomach hurt. So maybe he hallucinates being shot in the neck and stomach.
Of course, this is wishful thinking on my part because I hate the House-gets-shot storyline so much.

...that will tell us more what House thinks about himself and his colleagues without the nasty interference of reality.

I like this idea, flakewhite, except that from the trailers it tells us that House wants to molest Cameron with a robotic arm and wants to punch Wilson in the face. Not good.

sautomne

sautomne

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 6:23 PM

Sorry if that idea is stupid. I really need to watch that preview again. Really I'm just sitting here trying to avoid actual work.

Boudleaux, No! Your idea is not stupid! At this point we are all just throwing out possible ideas based on our own interpretations. I definitely think the House would have a horrified reaction if something happens to one of his ducklings. No matter how much he may try to hide it, I do think he feels a certain amount of protectiveness towards them.

I too, have been posting more than usual today because I am trying to avoid work :)

On another House forum someone referred to the H/W punching scene as "the punch heard around the world". I forget who originally posted that but I found it amusing.

After thinking about the finale some more (can it be Tuesday NOW, please?) I do think that some kind of OD is involved, but I don't know whether I think the shooting is real or a hallucination.

Here's how I think it may connect with Who's Your Daddy : At the end when Cuddy talks to House, I think she wanted to ask him to be the donor, but I think she got cold feet because she realized that she might actually like/love House.

I'm wondering if she might be interested in pursuing a relationship with House, but then finds out about the Morphine and is angry and dissappointed. This would set up a multitude of conflict for next season.

I know that Lisa Edelstein has said that she would like for Cuddy to become involved with House, but David Shore has said the House won't end up with anyone for a while yet. And Katie Jacobs has also said that they like to keep things open to exploring the chemistry that House has with Cuddy, Cam, and Wilson.

And I have officially obsessed about this to an insane degree. I need to go do something useful and productive to society now.

beardies

beardies

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

Here's how I think it may connect with Who's Your Daddy : At the end when Cuddy talks to House, I think she wanted to ask him to be the donor, but I think she got cold feet because she realized that she might actually like/love House.

Yes! Yes! This is exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it better sautomne. I thought she might be coming in to say, "but I do like you" and then, whatever---jump him, hope he jumps her, something like that.

to21b

to21b

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 7:47 PM

Is that House who is handcuffed to the bed? I had assumed that it was Moriarty, since he was the shooter. sautomne

I think it is House IMHO. The other guy has darker chest and arm hair and a bullet wound in his right shoulder/upper chest. The position of the heart monitor cable (and whatever-else cables) in the clip is the same as House's in the promotional photos (of course it would be roughly the same in any patient unless they were alien and had their heart somewhere other than their chest...:-]). But it kinda looks like it.

I wonder as well why Houses should be cuffed to the bed. I have a feeling next week we'll all go slapping our foreheads, going "oh, it makes sense now!" to all the stuff we've heard so far.

Oh, and he's writing notes on one of the glass walls for lack of his magic white board. That is so cute!

edited because I just saw something in the new 30sec clip up on marykir's fantastic site:
the patient being treated with the robot arm is the PotW. He's got an eye patch, or something like it. He was visible in the other clip in a wheelchair next to House while Cameron is on the robot arm table.

Edited by to21b, May 18, 2006 @ 7:59 PM.

KatalynJ

KatalynJ

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 8:07 PM

At the end when Cuddy talks to House, I think she wanted to ask him to be the donor, but I think she got cold feet because she realized that she might actually like/love House.

Lisa Edelstein said in the interview that's at the Fox site that that's what she was going for in the scene, that she wanted a donation and then thought that she would rather have a relationship with him instead. And that she wasn't attracted to Wilson even though she had auditioned him.

I assume that David Shore already knows where he wants to take the show and the House character in terms of relationships. If it's House/Cuddy, then LE's is a good way to play it, Cuddy is not willing to take second best, she wants it all. But if it's House/no one or House/Cameron, then it makes Cuddy look a little needy, a strong, smart woman hankering for a man who doesn't want her. Finding out about the morphine and rejecting him till he gets off it and then they fall into each other's arms is IMO the worst scenario of all -- House doesn't get love until he changes.

clearwaves

clearwaves

Fanatic

• Interests:Um, why?

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 2:00 AM

Is that House who is handcuffed to the bed?

I still think it is the shooter.

Someone mentioned this the other spoilers only thread, about House and his leg pain going away because of the surgeon who operated on him before hand. Maybe the whole shooting is a dream then, which would concur with many of your opinion's here that it was.

Or maybe House didn't get shot and the "Oh. God." part was actually when he realized the bloody body was that of another colleague of his. Maybe Wilson. And his voice of reason.

Edited by clearwaves, May 19, 2006 @ 2:01 AM.

beardies

beardies

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 5:58 AM

Lisa Edelstein said in the interview that's at the Fox site that that's what she was going for in the scene, that she wanted a donation and then thought that she would rather have a relationship with him instead. And that she wasn't attracted to Wilson even though she had auditioned him.

I haven't seen this interview. The fox website is very mean and temperamental to my computer. But this makes sense--many of us cited the weird lack of chemistry between Wilson and Cuddy, over-the-top awkwardness, in fact. And some of us felt that Cuddy had real connection on her mind when she came into House's office in the last scene. It just adds a much more interesting layer to the whole idea of Cuddy reading folders to find a father for her baby. What she really wanted in the end was a relationship, maybe, and, maybe, with House. Boy, he even scares Cuddy.

and stuff

and stuff

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 6:46 AM

I do not think the shooting itself is a hallucination of House, it would be kinda unfitting-postmodern of House to referr to a guy shooting him as Moriaty.

I did not see the preview, is there a link maybe?