Meredith and Cristina: "Shut up, I'm your person"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

608 replies to this topic

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

The Cristina getting pregnant twice thing I have no answer for. It would be easy to blame that on the writers but here's the thing. I know at least 2 woman (who are married by the by) and decided not to have children. One of them never got pregnant. Not even an opps! I missed my period for a day or two. The other woman has had at least 3 abortions that I know of. The last one was after her tubes were tied. So I suppose it is somewhat realistic for an educated woman to get pregnant even when she is trying NOT to.????Hm????

And yes. There have been times over the years when I watched something on Grey's and rolled my eyes and wondered why do I keep watching? But those times have never been about Meredith or Cristina. I don't know why but their co-dependent relationship delights me. That is one thing that has been consistant for the entire series. Take this years finale for instance. There they are all---broken and bleeding and bruised out in the middle of nowhere----and the last few moments are devoted to Mer and Cris and their twisted sister soulmate love.

What can I say? It makes me giddy just thinking about it.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I dislike about Christina, the way she is so smart and yet she does not seem to be able to use contraceptive

Where on screen did they state she didn't use contraception?

As for the girls friendship I love it and hate it depending on the storyline. I do think Ellen and Sandra are two of the best actors on the show and have the most fluid chemistry. Sonda has made their friendship center of her story for better or worse so I doubt you will get any enjoyment for the rest of the series.

As for selfish, mean Cristina you mention only watching upto season 5 in another thread. Maybe you should give the SF of s6 a watch. Doing open heart surgery on Derek with a shooter in a room telling you they will kill you unless you stop is sorta the opposite of selfish.

But this show is full of Grey characters that are total shitbags from time to time.

stella1

stella1

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Agreed. It used to be cute, now it's annoying and immature. I hate how it's used to define who they are and what their choices should be. I can live with the friendship being just that: a friendship. But when it crosses the line to soulmate land...it's just ridiculous and childish. This isn't high school anymore. It disturbs me but when MerCris are used appropriately, and by that I mean like normal people, it can come with great scenes.

I actually cheered when Cristina told Meredith she wasn't her person and was attempting to make Owen hers. It showed that at least Cristina was trying to draw the line and while I love Meredith, her constant "you're my person" is not really doing much good on me. Of course, to each their own but I don't find this friendship as awesome as I used to.

ITA.Quite honestly,I couldn´t have said it better.

Edited by stella1, May 29, 2012 @ 1:52 PM.

nina rose

nina rose

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

Where on screen did they state she didn't use contraception?

As for the girls friendship I love it and hate it depending on the storyline. I do think Ellen and Sandra are two of the best actors on the show and have the most fluid chemistry. Sonda has made their friendship center of her story for better or worse so I doubt you will get any enjoyment for the rest of the series.

As for selfish, mean Cristina you mention only watching upto season 5 in another thread. Maybe you should give the SF of s6 a watch. Doing open heart surgery on Derek with a shooter in a room telling you they will kill you unless you stop is sorta the opposite of selfish.

But this show is full of Grey characters that are total shitbags from time to time.

Contraception: that was my point. I don't know if it was ever mentioned that she can't/doesn't use contraception. It seems strange to me that a doctor would be so casual about getting pregnant and having abortions (the absence of some sort of background give the feeling that she is using abortion as contraception. Bad writing for sure).

Sandra seems to be a good actress, but as I said I only saw her in a minor part in a movie. Ellen, I find her terrible! I saw her as guest in other shows and she was Meredith all over again. To me, that spells bad acting. I said this somewhere else, Shonda has several alter egos and Meredith is one of them (the not-so-pure but almost perfect kinda innocent everybody loves, gets the "best" guy); Christina is another (badass, take no hostages, best of the best, almost with superpowers, but the ever so loyal friend). I could go on and on with each of the ladies Shonda creates

I intend to watch the remaining seasons, if only to bash Shonda some more ;) As I read this, I realize that I actually watched the after the shooting episode and yes, being able to do that is amazing. Not enough for Christina to redeem herself (in my eyes, of course)

Agree with your latest statement. I would say that MOST character are shitbags a LOT of the time

Edited by nina rose, May 29, 2012 @ 3:29 PM.

stella1

stella1

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Firs Christina: she is arrogant, heartless, without boundaries. When I am not hating how she treats everybody else (first seasons), I can't even look at her face. She is either bored or angry. The drama with Owen is pathetic, if she is so hurt, just leave. Or forgive him. But noooooo. She needs to drag the pain to a stretch.

Yes, Cris can be like this, but she can be the complete opposite of all of those things: kind, loving, caring, compassionate, generous, hilarious.The scene with Owen in the shower 512 - that is the ultimate opposite of heartlessness, the vent scene in 510 - I have never seen her so relaxed, so happy, so in love. Just a few examples...

I don´t see the drama with Owen as pathetic, I see a woman very much in love with her husband and her career, and struggling immensely to decide what to do.

Meredith is needy, immature, whiny. She depends on Christina for the air she breathes and this is very annoying for me to watch. I think this is the kind of unhealthy relationship, the one you do not want to have with anyone if you want to have an adult life.

This sums up how I feel about Meredith with regard to Cristina. However, Meredith/Zola, Meredith/Richard is one lovely character.With Derek she is great when she lets him be her person.

Edited by stella1, May 29, 2012 @ 3:15 PM.

nina rose

nina rose

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

Good point about Christina and Owen in the shower. Maybe I am able to like her a little bit :) But I think I have to re-watch the scenes because I don't remember her as relaxed and happy. Maybe it gets better on season 6?

Still find the drama pathetic, the "tell me everything" part especially. But that is his fault too.

Still can't see any attraction on Meredith. I remember her being entitled with Richard (my life sucked because you din't leave your wife for my mom) and with Zola, I still can't say, other than I don't understand how she could have gone drinking after the boards, after the flu, instead of running to her baby. I find Derek boring too, so yeah, maybe they are ok together, in a way.
The actress really ruined it for me.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

The actress really ruined it for me.

Hey I totally get where you are coming from nina rose. Not in regards to Ellen Pompeo (I just love her. There is just something about her that appeals to me) My sister however can't stand the character or the actress and won't watch Grey's Anatomy because of it. But I can't watch The Closer because Kyra Sedgewick bugs the crap out of me. So see I do understand.

Characters like Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang are an acquired taste. And maybe just maybe because I did watch from the begining and I watched the you're my person twisted sister relationship unfold rather organically I'd say over the years my affection for the characters grew into a kind of love. Plus I believed the Creator when she said they are the "soulmates" of the show.

So I suspend my belief in the ridiculous and just go with the flow.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

Characters like Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang are an acquired taste. And maybe just maybe because I did watch from the begining and I watched the you're my person twisted sister relationship unfold rather organically I'd say over the years my affection for the characters grew into a kind of love.

I agree the MerCris relationship seemed much more organic, as you say, watching it gradually develop. Especially once you really know the two of them and understand how neither of them have ever had anyone like that. They've both always been alone with no one who really supported them or understood them or was there for them. Derek/Owen might be able to, but Mer/Cris were there first. And every time Derek/Owen have let Mer/Cris down or hurt them, the other one has been there. For all intents and purposes they *are* sisters. I actually enjoyed seeing the contrasts in Mer's relationship with Lexie, her blood sister she had no emotional attachment to (originally) and Cristina who she wasn't related to but formed a strong bond with. Wasn't that the basic premise of the first few seasons? How they were all kind of weird, outcast teenagers with scalpels and formed their own family?

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

Wasn't that the basic premise of the first few seasons? How they were all kind of weird, outcast teenagers with scalpels and formed their own family?

I beleive that. Yes. Yes I do. It seemed that way to me and maybe that's why I always loved Mer/Cris. They "chose" to be each other's person. Plus. deep down they understand one another on a level that transcends words. And that is something the actresses are able to portray on screen. At least that is what I see.