Meredith and Cristina: "Shut up, I'm your person"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

608 replies to this topic

Gideon Brown

Gideon Brown

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 3:57 PM

They need their own thread. This is the best non-sexual(minus the shower scene) on the show.

bigbang98

bigbang98

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 4:06 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much for starting this thread. I always loved the interactions between Mere and Xtina. They're constantly in competition with each other, and yet they can still be close friends. I loved how Xtina smacked down Derek about messing with Meredith and how Meredith covered for Xtina when Burke asked her about the apartment thing. The fact that they'll protect each other even if they have to (sort of) risk their careers is very sweet.

GreyGirl24

GreyGirl24

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 4:09 PM

Hey Gideon /Mods, any chance we could give this thread a new name? Not to be a killjoy, but I kinda thing the use of the terms "whore" and "slut" on these boards as if they're not highly insulting, degrading, sexist terms is wearing thin. I'm sure it was done in jest and in the spirit of the current debates on the episode/character boards, but it's tiresome nonetheless. And practically speaking, I think its a bit of a misnomer -- I took this to be an anti-Christina, anti-Meredith board which, judging by the creator's message, doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by GreyGirl24, May 17, 2006 @ 4:10 PM.

YourMom

YourMom

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 4:19 PM

Not to be a killjoy, but I kinda thing the use of the terms "whore" and "slut" on these boards as if they're not highly insulting, degrading, sexist terms is wearing thin.

I agree, and I don't think you're being a killjoy.

If the point of this thread is to talk about the Mer/Xtina relationship, I fail to see what their sexual histories have to do with that. It's just needlessly inflammatory.

Gideon Brown

Gideon Brown

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 4:18 PM

I know, I hate the words too. I just couldn't think of any other relatable quotes. How about "Shut up, I'm your person." I wanted to change it but it's obvious that I can't.

"Shut up, I'm your person." should be the new thread title.

GreyGirl24

GreyGirl24

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 4:25 PM

"Shut up, I'm your person." should be the new thread title.

Awesome suggestion. Someone flag down AB, let's get us a new title!

Edited by GreyGirl24, May 17, 2006 @ 4:24 PM.

AB Chao

AB Chao

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 6:00 PM

AIGH. I hate these words, too, and I am so sick of seeing them that the next person to use them is going to get booted. Pass it on!

Gideon Brown

Gideon Brown

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 6:15 PM

You guys, again I'm really sorry. I don't think that of Meredith or Cristina, or anyone for that matter. Those two are my favorite characters. It was just the only quote I could think of between the two of them. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Thank you so much for changing the title.

dreaming on

dreaming on

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 6:22 PM

Thanks for opening this thread, Gideon Brown. This is the best relationship on GA. Seems very natural and I love that they will always cover each others back.

dreaming on

dreaming on

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 6:22 PM

Thanks for opening this thread, Gideon Brown. This is the best relationship on GA. Seems very natural and I love that they will always cover each others back.

Morgen

Morgen

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 6:30 PM

They're my favorite friendship on the show. I really enjoy how they are both accepting of the other's flaws and mistakes, and do their very best to help eachother out without being judgemental. I'm always amused when they're ranting back and forth about their various problems, the scene at the beginning of the second episode of season two, when Christina is in the tub and Mere on the floor always cracks me up. They're both so snarky and rambling.

Gideon Brown

Gideon Brown

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 2:57 AM

My favourite non snarky Mer/Cristina moment is in "Tell Me Sweet Little Lies" It's after Meredith says he's still McDreamy, Cristina walks over to her and pats or rubs or caresses her arm. It's such an un Cristina thing to do. I love their relationship, it's so great. They are so protective and supportive of each other. And maybe I'm over analyzing here, but in the SB shower scene. Did anyone else notice that once Cristina entered, it was Meredith and Cristina who were um scrubbing each other while Izzie watched. Cristina stepped into the shower and started scrubbing Meredith and Meredith turned around and started scrubbing her. Izzie just kind of watched while the other two got hot and heavy with the sponges(no that's not a reference to George). I thought it was telling of the dynamic of Meredith and Cristina and Izzie.

ktkez

ktkez

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 10:12 AM

I love these two. Its like they bonded from day 1. Both have similar and very different qualities as well. One of my favourite bits would be season 1 ep three where Mer is adjusting to having roomates and Christina suggests that she 'kick them out' ha. That still makes me laugh! Love it!

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 5:23 AM

I'm going to assume the original title included the "Slutty Mistress"/"Pregnant Whore" lines, which I personally don't have a problem with since they are actual quotes from the show and weren't said in a mean-spirited or spiteful way. I actually found the moment hilarious, not offensive. So, as a general question to AB, if the words are being used by a poster in context to the show (like the "slutty mistress/pregnant whore" example) will they still be banned?

Spiritofstorm

Spiritofstorm

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 7:08 AM

I adore this friendship. I like how the other interns are all friends, but they're not the best friends that Mere/Cristina are. It's true of what happens in irl friend groups too. You can be friends w/ everyone you work w/, but there is just one collegue you click w/, and no one can get in the middle of that. Heart.

My favorite scene is in the pilot when Cristina forgives Mere for taking the surgery and is like "do we really have to do the thing where you say something, and I say something, and then we cry, and then laugh?" And Mere is like "NO!!" Heh.

Bedellia

Bedellia

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 7:28 AM

I have so many favourite moments, a few of them:
- Shut up I'm your person.
- Slutty Mistress/Pregnant Whore moment and Christina asking if they would feel better if they cry.
- The moment where Christina rubs Merediths arm. I agree with Gideon Brown, that this is such un-Cristina thing.
- When Meredith slept with George and Christina said "We all do terrible things"
- My McDog, my McLife moment, Christina tries to be supportive.
- Christina telling Meredith that Burke told her he loves her.

Edited by Bedellia, May 19, 2006 @ 7:29 AM.

Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

Channel Surfer

• Interests:I like science fiction, jawbreakers, and staying up all night.

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 7:52 AM

Oh, I absolutely adore Meredith and Cristina.

I really liked the part in the bomb episode where Cristina tried to be 'supportive' and ended up just kicking Meredith off the bed...classic Cristina.

And also, when Meredith is complaining about her roommates, and Cristina says something about her keeping it all inside until she snaps and kills them, and Meredith says yeah, that's exactly what she's going to do. And then Cristina just goes, "See, that's why we're friends!" Hilarious!

And, of course, the "I'm your person" speech.

Oh, I love them.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 10:03 AM

I absolutely loved their interaction before Izzie interrupts to tell them about her Denny lie in "17 Seconds"... both bitching about their own drama, neither one listening to the other, but both of them getting just what they need out of it. Classic. (And of course, followed by one of my favorite Cristina moments: "Good for you! Fight the power.")

Gideon Brown

Gideon Brown

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 12:48 PM

I thought of another moment.

After Meredith puts her hand on the bomb. Cristina get up off the floor and just stares for a minute. Her face is of pure terror. I love the way Cristina says Meredith's name at that moment. I love how worried Cristina is for her person. Then later after Meredith is covered in blood and guts, you see how tender Cristina is being with her. Just the way she gently pulls off the scrub gown and leans her head back into the shower. The whole bomb episode is just a wealth of Meredith/Cristina moments.

I also love in the pregnant guy episode how Cristina is being so protective of her. Pulling her away from the gossiping doctors, and shielding her from Derek in the stairwel.

elsncy

elsncy

Posted May 20, 2006 @ 11:43 AM

Thanks for opening this one up-just found it so I never saw the original title, but as the Slutty Mistress-Pregnant Whore scene is one of my favorites between them, it wouldn't have been offensive to me-unlike a lot of the posts that are up in other thread. And to that end, please all join me in saying WORD to ABChao for slamming the door shut on that!

Gideon Brown

Gideon Brown

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 9:36 PM

The ep with the broken penis man has a lot of good Meredith/Cristina scenes. The one where they are sitting on the bench and Cristina claps Mer on the back. I love how Meredith is the only person that Cristina will touch(other than Burke). I loved how Cristina stood up for Meredith in "The Self Destruct-Button" when Izzie and George were ragging on about her sleeping with Derek. This isn't a Mer/Cris scene but when Cristina confronts Derek in the elevator and smacks him down. She's so pissed at him for hurting Meredith. Meredith and Burke are probably the two most important people in Cristina's life.

loveyang

loveyang

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 9:50 PM

OMG, Cristina and Meredith crack me up when they start complaining to one another about the ills in their love lives and neither one of them is really listening to the other. It is so funny to watch.

Edited by loveyang, May 29, 2006 @ 9:50 PM.

everblue3

everblue3

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 9:55 PM

OMG, Cristina and Meredith crack me up when they start complaining to one another about the ills in their love lives and neither one of them is really listening to the other. It is so funny to watch.

Actually, the thing I like so much about the two of them is that they do seem to be listening...at least hearing. It may have taken a few seconds, but Meredith heard about how Cristina lied to Burke about moving in, and Cristina did hear Meredith calling Derek McDreamy. The fact that they don't offer immediate advice is something I love, too...it's like they both accept the other's need to vent, and while they eventually will be "supportive" (insomuch as they show their support), their first priority is to determine 'whose life sucks the worst.'

The volleys back and forth are classic, though.

loveyang

loveyang

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

Yeah, they are actually listening, they are taking it all in but the repsonses don't necessarily come out right away. Well in this last one before crazy Izzie entered the scene, Meredith appeared to be listening cause she said to Cristina as Cristina was bitching about Burke's macho petulance and controlling behavior in some instances, which I agreed with by the way, "Well at least he's not shooting up the place and putting dogs to sleep." This was hilarious and it showed that Meredith was definitely listening.

Edited by loveyang, May 29, 2006 @ 10:12 PM.

Morgen

Morgen

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 10:20 PM

I agree they definitely do listen to eachother. During Izzie's meltdown, Mere was the only one who thought to ask Cristina how she was dealing with Burke being shot. However they just have this ability to shorthand some of the stuff in their relationship. It's been that way since the beginning when they fought over the brain surgery and then decided that they didn't need to laugh and cry and "have a moment". They can both complain and hear eachother without the need to drag things out into an hour long session complete with tea and tears and lots of hugs. But when it really comes down to it, they've totally got eachother's backs.

Edited by Morgen, May 29, 2006 @ 10:22 PM.

katryna

katryna

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 10:31 PM

Absolutely love, LOVE, LOVE the Mere/Cristina scene at the beginning of "Enough is Enough," when they're in the bathroom. While they certainly are at least hearing each other, I just find it hilarious that they're dealing with their problems together, yet constantly talk about themselves. They're both so different yet the same that you could completely understand how the two of them would grow to become such great friends.

morethanthis

morethanthis

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2006 @ 8:19 PM

I adore that scene in S1, at the party that Izzie throws to avoid Hank, when Cristina grabs the tequila from Meredith and says, "Give me that, you're drunk." It makes me laugh every single time I watch it... And then at the beginning of S2m when they go jogging... That's such a cute scene.

I love them. Sigh.

Gideon Brown

Gideon Brown

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 11:07 AM

In the first half of the bomb episode, I love it when bomb squad guy yells at the Mer and Cristina to "stop talking." The looks on their faces are hilarious. They looked like two petulant children who had just gotten a time out. Damn I love them.

rose3000

rose3000

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2006 @ 10:15 PM

Watching last night's repeat episode ("Make Me Lose Control") reminded me of one of the reasons I started watching this show, which is the awesome comeraderie and friendship between Meredith and Cristina. The scene where they are jogging together is hilarious. I wish we got to seem more of this kind of stuff anymore - the actors have such great chemistry together.

HotButteredRum

HotButteredRum

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 1:01 AM

They really do. I also loved Izzie's sense of isolation that she expressed, regarding their friendship and how excluded she feels from it. It was all the more poignant because they carried that feeling of Izzie's isolation when it comes to the Mer-Christina friendhip from 2.03, all the way thru to the season finale. In the SF, Christina and Mer were sitting on a gurney in the basement, working on paperwork and venting to each other about Derek and Burke. Izzie arrives, in serious need of a friend ready willing and able to see behind the words coming out of her mouth and recognise the severity of the emotional turmoil that she is in. Neither Meredith or Christina are able to do and once again it is "you guys are over there, and I'm over here" from 2.03 all over again. It was awesome stuff, just awesome.