It's Not Called Soccer!: Total Football Coverage

• Please log in to reply

5767 replies to this topic

Bela1812

Bela1812

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2006 @ 8:17 AM

Thanks for the link, zespri. I haven't seen it before, it was really funny.

amyaf

amyaf

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2006 @ 10:54 PM

Tommy Smyth is also one of my favorites, and I loved it when him and JP Dellacamera used to announced the Serie A games in ESPN(latinamerica at least), they were really good. "Hasta la vista baby!" each time someone got the red card always made my day(even if the red card affected my team).

I will be rooting for England. They have a lot of passion for their team & their newspapers (The Mirror & The Sun) don't take losing very lightly.

But they handle winning so badly, suddenly Owen is Pele, Rooney is Pele, whoever is the youngester that scores in a big tournament is the next Pele(Theo Walcott will be Pele this year), and England is the best team in the world. Actually this happens in every country(well, not in every country they compare their youngsters with Pele, but they do overrated everything and everyone).

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 12:03 AM

If Theo Walcott appears on the pitch doing anything other than warming up before a match during this World Cup, then something has gone seriously wrong. Of course with the Swedish meatball in charge, nothing would surprise me any more. Horrify me, yes; surprise me, no.

Carragher in midfield?!? Ugh. McLaren's actually going to be an upgrade. If England achieve anything in this World Cup it's going to be despite Eriksson rather than due to anything he's brought to the table. Muppet.

zespri

zespri

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 11:31 AM

Hey I don't know if someone else posted this but Univision and related channels are also going to be showing the games live (for those of us in the US). I don't know who the commentators are (sorry, does anyone know?) but I assume that they will be a more lively bunch (although will be commentating in Spanish).
I'm in St Louis and it's included in the basic cable package and it's channel 17. I don't know if that helps much people in other states (I used to live in Indiana and I don't remember every having Univision). the other thing is that I'm not sure if the games are actually live on ESPN etc because there is a half hour discrepancy in some cases. Of course this could be pre-game commentaries on Univision's part so I wouldn't put much stock in that. Here are the listings for those of you in the US who are interested:

Univision World Cup Listings

amyaf

amyaf

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 8:10 PM

Anyways I support Costa Rica and Italy, and Ukraine.

I'm re-thinking my support for Ukraine, cause their main player just stab me and millions of AC Milan fans in the back. I'm in a love him-hate him deal. Well, maybe I'll support him just for the WC, but I will root anything against the team of Mr. I'll destroy soccer or it'll destroy me Abramovich, even if it means rooting for one of my ex-favorite player getting injured or failing badly in EPL.

but I assume that they will be a more lively bunch (although will be commentating in Spanish).

Well, since it's not hard to assume they are going to be latin americans, they will certainly be lively. I have no idea who they are, but maybe they are the same of the last World Cup(I didn't know who they are, but I have the video of the famous Totti red card and it is taken from Univision's broadcasting, not bad by the way).

SiriuslyLupin

SiriuslyLupin

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2006 @ 4:50 PM

Hey! There's a World Cup thread here! Awesome!

You guys, I'm so excited for this, I'm all fit to burst. Total chaos? Absolutely! (Even though everyone knows Brazil will get to the finals). I was raised as an England fan (fondest WC memory, 1998: screaming so loudly at Beckham when he got the infamous red card that my mother thought I was getting attacked by an intruder), got very sympathetic towards Les Bleus (I admire the Brazilians as much as everyone else, but sometimes its good to see others win) and in 2002, was rooting pretty heavily for Germany. Oh, Oliver Kahn...

So, yeah, my national loyalty is shifty, to say the least, but honestly, I just love the game and watching all these different and extraordinary teams compete, regardless of my personal attachments. You just can't help but get caught up in the emotion and all the excitement. For me, its truly the best game in the world.

As for network coverage, I basically wasted an hour of my life watching the "10 Best American Soccer Moments" on abc today; a lot of them were really obscure matches and the concept of the show wasn't very well thought out. I do feel hopeful about the USA's prospects this year, though its a shame they get to start out with a tough group...

Aside from the show, the commercials they ran for the WC were interesting, and I learned that ABC will broadcast its first match, England v. Paraguay next Saturday at 9 am eastern.

zespri

zespri

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 1:57 PM

Wow, just found this on youtube.com and am surprised no one commented on it yet. A clip from the friendly Colombia vs Poland which was on May 30th.

Poland vs Colombian goalkeeper

Have to say that the Polish fans have everyone beat when it comes to sucky squad selections. They should have taken Dudek instead, Pawal Janas has to be the most hated person in Poland right now.

Edited by zespri, Jun 4, 2006 @ 2:00 PM.

Bela1812

Bela1812

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 2:34 PM

That goal was awesome, I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before, too bad it happened in a friendly match or else it would become one of those classic World Cup goals.
I've watched a couple of friendlies this weekend and I was really impressed by Australia tying with Holland, the Australians really gave it all they had. On the other hand, Italy x Ukraine was really dull. Even the commentators were bored by the match.

zespri

zespri

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 3:04 PM

It was a really good goal, right over all the players...hehe. If you see some of the other videos of the same goal on youtube.com where they have commentary and the commentators didn't even expect it, infact right after it happens the commentators are silent for a few seconds before saying something (the other video I saw was in Polish so I didn't understand anything). But yeah, I remember when I was in JV soccer our goalie did the same thing (scoring against the opposing team) and we went crazy (that one goal gave her a 100% scoring average, MUCH better than mine and I was a midfielder hehe). I agree that it would have made a good World Cup goal but then at the same time, for a goalie at World Cup level to mess that up is pretty bad....
The Australia vs Netherlands was intense, and 3 Dutch players injured! Sucks for them but nice from the other teams in Group C (yay Argentina!) if they don't recover in time and don't manage to replace everyone. Good for the Australians too because it gives them some credibility.

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 4:34 PM

Thanks for that link, I laughed my ass off. That's just classic. I surely hope this year's World Cup produces some jaw-dropping moments like that. I lost interest in most of the friendlies I've seen so far. Bring on the Cup!

Chesty LaRue

Chesty LaRue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2006 @ 12:56 AM

Woot! World Cup. I have always loved it. My husband and I are already planning on what days we will try to take early (and long) lunches so we can watch some of the matches. Sports Illustrated has a quite good issue about the WC out this week, for those who may be interested.

I am loving the commercials for WC- I hope that it attracks some fans here in the US. I read something somewhere that only 10% of the US plans on watching the WC. That frustrates me- it is such a neat and fun event. I was visiting my brother in London for a portion of the 2002 WC and it was so much fun to be in a country where people cared so much for the event. Though I guess with caring comes dispair. My brother said that after England was knocked out- folks in his office were very grouchy for days. I can't imagine that happening here at all.

I am rooting for the US, England, fellow group B-er Sweden, Spain, Mexico and unfortunately three members of group C: Ivory Coast, Netherlands and Argentina. I went to the 1996 Olympic gold medal match between Nigeria and Argentina (Nigeria won). Both sets of fans were so fantastic and friendly (and I got a jersey from a very cute Argentine boy) that I always root for the countries now in world competition.

moochy

moochy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2006 @ 9:42 AM

Awesome! I remembered my login info! Truly it took the WC to shake me from my non-posting slump since Angel was cancelled.

I have my dvr set for as many games as it can hold. Plus fortunately Summer school ends 3:00 p.m. EST so I can zip home and start salivating. This is the only tv event I kno that I'll get up at 4 in the am to watch.

Oh yeah, I'm a big US, Brazil, and any underdog nation fan. I too would love to see the total chaos, just somewhat removed from the US's results. As for being a fan of the favorites? Ronaldo was why I first became interested in soccer/football. That and the Nike commercial from the 90's vs. the demons with Cantona et al. *coughnikewhorecough* So yeah thats about it.

ruach

ruach

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2006 @ 10:32 AM

Hahaha...great goal!

I'll throw my weight behind Argentina to challenge Brazil, from a practical point of view, and Germany, for sentimental value. It would be great if they could win at home, like France did.

SiriuslyLupin

SiriuslyLupin

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2006 @ 3:00 PM

Ooooh awesome goal!

I know Brazil will get to the finals, as for the opposing side, it'd be great if it was Germany (though that would be a rematch of the last WC) and maybe even Czech Republic.

Anyone else scouring YouTube for old WC clips like me? It's just for something to hold me over until the game starts. I personally love finding old Zidane clips (oh, Les Bleus)...

zespri

zespri

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2006 @ 3:28 PM

What's cool on youtube.com is that they have an official guide to each of the teams participating (at least I think so, I saw one for most of the teams). They have past performances in WC's as well as interviews with some of the players, I checked out a couple and they were pretty good.
YouTube also has a few parodies which were funny. One was of a secret camera filming the Italian team 'practicing' (a bunch of guys diving and dropping to the ground, hehe) and another one was of some guy recreating Maradona's golden goal against the English with the original Spanish commentary in the background.

Italian diving practice

Maradona goal parody

Eriksson talks about English team (puppets)

But yeah YouTube is a perfect distractor school work.

ETA Thought I would add the links since I've been doing that a lot and wanted to include the real Maradona goal

Maradona scores

Edited by zespri, Jun 5, 2006 @ 3:55 PM.

Bela1812

Bela1812

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2006 @ 7:20 PM

Thanks for the links zespri.

But yeah YouTube is a perfect distractor school work

It's great for procrastinating. I don't think I'm going to get a lot of work done between now and July 8th.
The 10 best 2002 World Cup Goals

I can't wait for the Cup to begin, at least the media here will start talking about the matches and stuff. It seems that whenever Ronaldinhos sneezes, it becomes one of the headlines of the 8 o'clock news. As much as I love soccer, there's a limit to everything.

foci

foci

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2006 @ 11:54 PM

I am starting to get that feeling in the pit of my stomach. That tight knot of anxiety. Last time around I couldn't watch the whole US-Poland game; I had to take a shower and watch from around the corner. I had hoped to avoid that stress this time. I managed put it off until now. Mr.Foci admitted to the same feeling tonight.

I am relatively new to the sport. My daughter started to play at 5. We got into the Women's World Cup in 1999. That was our "gateway" drug. In 2001, we flew to Kansas City for a qualifier against Costa Rica for my birthday (it was actually on my birthday). Best present ever.

My first real World Cup memory is older than all of this. In 1982, I was finishing my junior year abroad in Austria. My parents picked me up and we spent a few weeks driving through southern France, northern Spain, the north of Italy, etc.

The day of the final between Germany and Italy, we were in Verona. We were driving a rental car with German plates. My father was insisting we find a hotel with underground parking. I did not get it. I kept asking why it mattered that the car had German plates; it was only a game.

We watched the game in the hotel (with underground parking) bar. Italy won. The town went crazy. We went outside and it was pandemonium; my mother, father, and I got kissed and hugged by more people than I could count. I finally got it. And then, apparently, promptly forgot it again as one of those crazy European things.

And now here I am. Trying to find a place in San Bernardino to watch US-Italy because we will be there for a soccer tournament. (Actually, I have a place in mind.)

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 12:20 AM

I really think all you US fans should be bracing yourselves prior to this tournament. The US has been helped out by favourable draws in the past and that is very much not the case this time around. They're gonna have to be either very lucky or very good to avoid finishing bottom of the group, let alone qualifying for the second round.

The US isn't even helped out by the order of the group matches; if Ghana had been first up then maybe they'd have had a chance to get a foothold, but there's a decent chance that they'll already be out by the time they play Ghana with the way the schedule is set. I hope they pull off the upset, especially as Italian arrogance has always put me off their sometimes excellent teams, but I don't fancy the US's chances.

Although the refs are supposed to be cracking down on shirt-pulling, so maybe they'll get 5 or 6 penalties in the game against Italy and make it through... ;)

foci

foci

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 12:50 AM

Hence the feeling at the pit of my stomach. Much worse than in 2002.

Though I can't agree with you about our supposed favorable draw last WC. We had Portugal and one of the host nations. What we had in our favor was the complacency of Portugal, who thought they just had to show up to win.

We, the fans, are all bracing ourselves.

AlexDS69

AlexDS69

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 1:02 AM

Here's my take on the World Cup vs. Olympics debate:

I respect the WC and what it has done for world sport. But IMHO, nothing can compare to the Olympics.

I disagree that it is more worthy to win as a group than win on your own (another rationale for WC's superiority). It doesn't matter if you win by yourself, or with another person, or with a dozen others: a win is a win.

Soccer is kind of overrated, IMHO. I'm probably going to get stoned for that. If you ask me, world sport does not begin and end with Ronaldinho, Metrosexual Man, and Zinedine Zedane.

The actual World Cup tournament only has 32 teams in it. And only over 70 countries have actually saw World Cup action. The Olympics have over 200 countries taking part, and over 80 of them have produced at least one Olympic champion, with almost 40 more having at least one Olympic silver or bronze medalist. How many countries have won a men's World Cup? Let's see: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, England GBR, France, Italy, Germany.

Getting back to this year's event: Brazil will probably take it all, but I am hoping for an upset of epic proportions.

foci

foci

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 1:20 AM

The actual World Cup tournament only has 32 teams in it. And only over 70 countries have actually saw World Cup action.

I admit that I am too lazy to figure out the actual numbers, but you do realize that the 32 countries in what you call the World Cup tournament are the finalists? There is a lengthy qualification that results in these 32 teams. The tournament about to begin in Germany is the finals.

As far as soccer is concerned the Olympics are a U23 tournament.

SiriuslyLupin

SiriuslyLupin

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 1:37 AM

I hope they pull off the upset, especially as Italian arrogance has always put me off their sometimes excellent teams, but I don't fancy the US's chances.

Word. Also: Yikes.

You know, the way that the NY Times has been writing about the team lately had made me feel somewhat buoyant about America's chances, but like foci (thanks for sharing your story, by the way), I too am getting that feeling in the pit of my stomach as we inch closer to opening day; its a mixture of dread and hopefulness. What a weird combination.

ETA:

If you ask me, world sport does not begin and end with Ronaldinho, Metrosexual Man, and Zinedine Zedane.

Commence stoning! :) Actually, I totally understand this point of view; football certainly isn't my only sporting obsession (I'm going to be so torn when I'll have to forego the inevitable Nadal/Federer French Open final live for the WC). In fact, I'd probably be more sympathetic to it if I wasn't in the states where finding some time for international football is such an anomaly; I only get to revel in my (sometimes seemingly dormant) obsession properly every four years, hence the extreme euphoria, I guess.

Edited by SiriuslyLupin, Jun 6, 2006 @ 1:50 AM.

foci

foci

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 1:48 AM

I too am getting that feeling in the pit of my stomach as we inch closer to opening day; its a mixture of dread and hopefulness.

Dread and hopefulness is the perfect way to describe what I have been feeling without knowing what to call it. If we shortened it to Dread and Hope it would be the perfect name for an emo band--yes, I have a 15 year old.

ETA: Actually, an emo band would be called Dread and No Hope. Thank the universe that I am not 15.

Edited by foci, Jun 6, 2006 @ 2:09 AM.

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 3:34 AM

I'm getting that anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach too, and I'm an Italy supporter. On top of the unbelievable judicial mess, there are serious doubts as to whether Nesta and Zambrotta will be fit, Pirlo looked lethargic in the friendlies against Switzerland and Ukraine, and Totti doesn't seem to be in top shape either, either physically or emotionally. We're doomed.

moochy

moochy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 8:13 AM

Andreanne You can at least pin hope on Luca Toni, I believe he's amassed something like 88 goals in 3 years in Serie A. My Italian buddy insists he'll (Luca Toni, not my friend) get the golden boot.

IMO a good phrase for my belief in the US's chances is realistic optimism. Yes we have to be realistic about our group, but I'm still optimistic. With the exception of our stinkers in 90 and 98, I don't think we have the baggage of the bigger footballing nations. Part of this is our country's relatively new arrival to the game, but I feel another part is our oftentimes misguided arrogance. By baggage I mean, a vivid, crushing memory of performance in the tournament. re: Holland and the missed penalty vs. Brazil 98, Becks' red card, Baggio over the bar 94, etc. So maybe it's naivete, or something else but I still can't wait.

Realistic optimism however has limits, I trained and pep talked and worked my 2nd year girls varsity team for a solid week to get ready to play the number 4 team in the state. I was cautiously optimistic. Result? 43 minutes and 15 goals later. Game over. So yeah my optimism is tempered.

ETA speaking of Zidane, Ronaldinho, + Becks: I'm sick of Rooney's foot and Leo Messi

Edited by moochy, Jun 6, 2006 @ 8:15 AM.

Bela1812

Bela1812

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 8:15 AM

its a mixture of dread and hopefulness.

So true! I'm Brazilian and this is the first time in 20 years that I'm actually in Brazil during the World Cup. It's madness, especially since everyone is so confident about Brazil getting to the finals that deep deep down , I have a bad feeling about it and we will underperform it (knock on wood!).
Anyways, only 3 more days till Friday (and a whole week till Brazil's first match , oy!).

Edited by Bela1812, Jun 6, 2006 @ 8:18 AM.

BlackCorduroy

BlackCorduroy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:04 AM

Normally I am a devoted supporter of three teams for every World Cup -- Italy, England and the Netherlands.

However, the current Dutch team is almost unrecognizable. No Bergkamp, no Overmars, no Davids, no Stam, no Kluivert, no Seedorf or de Boers. Such a drastic change from the previous WC. I don't see them getting too far, but I'm saying that without following European League football for the past 3 years. Maybe they have produced a lot of good players.

I'm all for England and Italia now. I absolutely cannot wait for the start of the tournament. I love that ABC and ESPN are showing all the matches live. That was one of the worries I had when I moved to the United States, that they would show the matches on a delay or not at all because the sport isn't popular here.

Caillou Shampoo

Caillou Shampoo

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 10:26 AM

I can't believe that I'm going to miss the 2002 schedule. For me, on the east coast of the US, that meant waking up around 2:30 AM to watch at least one match a day live. I slept on the couch just to be sure that I would turn on the TV right away and not roll over for a few extra minutes' sleep. Still, it was part of the excitement.

I'm mulling over a viewing strategy for this WC. I'm considering recording all three weekday matches (yay, DVR!) and then consulting the soccer forum I usually visit, which is England based, for which are the best of the day to watch, since I wouldn't be able to fit all three in once I get home from work. Unfortunately, this does take out the element of surprise, but I'm the kind of person who reads spoiler threads.

zespri

zespri

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 11:02 AM

I too am getting that feeling in the pit of my stomach as we inch closer to opening day; its a mixture of dread and hopefulness.

Count me in as well with the feeling. I so want Argentina to do well this time and yet again we draw the group of death (which went so well for us last time). Not only that I keep going back to our 2-1 loss to Holland in 98 which broke my heart...and this time we get to play them right of the bat (well third match really). That and Serbia-Montenegro (are we adding the Montenegro now or not?) have an INSANE defense. I mean I'm hopeful that they they can do it but Argentina has a rep for underperforming away from home (example: losing to Brazil 1-3 in 2004 but then beating them 3-1 when they played in Buenos Aires in 2005). I mean the two cups they won were played in Latin America...
But yeah despite my worries about Argentina I think that they can do it (it's that hopefulness combined with the fact that yes they are a good team).

One more thing, I want to agree with foci regarding what she said regarding the World Cup vs Olympics debate in that the WC is considered to be the final between the 32 best teams after a very long qualification period, everyone has a chance to make it but it depends who qualifies from your group. Not only that but the World Cup (hate that I'm quoting Bono here but bear with me) does infact stop wars, I mean Ivory Coast has essentially stopped their civil war so that they compete (which you know has to increase their desire to do well). Not only that but in most countries (not the US unfortunately) the business day will essentially halt to watch your hometeam's matches (I know this cause in 94 we got let out of school early in Argentina to watch them play and the whole town shut down, craziness). I mean when has the Olympics done that? Now I love the Olympics as much as the next person and will watch it every four years but the World Cup inspires such passion all over the world that that is why it is called the true international tournament.
Ok well off my soapbox now which was actually kind of pointless cause I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here but I'll throw it out anyways. Also I do agree that it's hard to take the sport seriously if you aren't already a fan and Beckham is your only exposure (he is an excellent player I won't deny that, but his personal life, fashion sense overshadows that).

ETA: Rant about the WC really stems from constant arguments with one of my friends and is a HUGE American football fan and constantly fails to see the point of soccer and then gets mad when I fail to see the point of football (American).

Edited by zespri, Jun 6, 2006 @ 11:07 AM.

filifiona

filifiona

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 11:53 AM

Have to say that the Polish fans have everyone beat when it comes to sucky squad selections. They should have taken Dudek instead, Pawal Janas has to be the most hated person in Poland right now.

He has to be and he is. Besides Dudek he also didn't take a few other fan favourites so he obviously took some heat over that. And truth to be told this goal combined with our another goalie's injurie sure looked like Dudek's Revenge. However we won with Croatia a couple of days later so there is still a slim chance that we'll make it to the round of 16.

Anyway, nice to see some excitement over World Cup on your side of the pond!

Bring it on already!