It's Not Called Soccer!: Total Football Coverage

• Please log in to reply

5767 replies to this topic

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

My commiserations and condolences, WeeS :-) I'm not a fan of Utd or City, but as a fan of the Premier League, I was weirded out by those results coming back to back. And, of course, Chelsea losing always makes me happy!

Henry back to Arsenal reminds me of movie sequels that never needed to happen - sort of like the two Matrix sequels (::shudder:::)

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

And the first major new signing of the transfer window goes to...Paul Scholes! Back from retirement after 6 months!

That was one of the 'best' worst FA Cup Manchester derby's I have seen - I thought we were high and dry at half-time, but oh no, Utd had to come back at the break, take their foot off the pedal and make me nearly stop breathing! And the commentator on ITV was a complete Blue moron, you could tell he's an 'anyone but United' fan, he made my blood pressure rise! Watching that match made me feel like I was back in the early 2000's with all the United talent in the stadium - Scholes, Giggs and even Hargreaves back on the pitch, Beckham in the stand, Keano in the pundit studio...Twitter was hilarious throughout the 90mins about who was coming on next.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

I missed the Utd/City match, but I heard it was really exciting (well, at least for neutrals :-)

Re: Henry - I guess I have to eat crow now that he scored for Arsenal in the FA Cup match against Leeds.

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

Henry scores, Scholes scores... it's really like the clocks been rolled back ten years. Was hoping they would square up today for '8-2: The Rematch' but alas, it was not meant to be. But at least we won 2-1! Had to listen to to it over the radio though :-(

Caillou Shampoo

Caillou Shampoo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

Henry didn't score; it was van Persie.

Piers Morgan was a lame commentator if you ask me. During the pregame show, he said that Spurs lost a game that they probably thought they'd won, but if that penalty hadn't hapepened, it would have been a draw. Maybe he meant a moral victory in that they came back from a two-goal deficit and thought they had at least earned a point at Eastlands, but it sure didn't sound like that.

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

Henry didn't score; it was van Persie.

I meant since they'd returned in general, wasn't referring to today's match. Don't even get why Piers was a commentator in the first place over your way - the only commenting he does over here is on twitter! Everytime Arsenal loses, Rio Ferdinand tries to get #Tears4Piers trending, love the banter there. I would def would rather have had that match end in a draw though, damn that Balotelli.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

Oh joy. Another international break. Can you sense my excitement from here? The best part is going to be all the last-minute "injury" pullouts.

That said, there are some interesting match-ups, namely France/Germany, Italy/USA & Netherlands/England.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Obviously I am looking forward to Italy/USA. I am hoping USA doesn't just pack it in defensively and just hold on for a draw. Even if they just plan on counterattacking primarily, I'd like to see them manufacture some chances.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

Well, well, well. Color me surprised. These international friendlies actually turned into interesting matches.

England were very...England in their loss to Netherlands. Slow start, followed by rallying comeback, followed by eventual loss.

Then there was Germany losing to France. Didn't expect that one, though France has been improving.

Finally, USA beating Italy was also a surprise. First time ever win for the Yanks, and beating Italy on Italian soil is pretty impressive. I do still wonder who besides Dempsey and Donovan will score the goals for the US.

Also, Spain 5 Venezuela 0. Just hand Spain the Euro 2012 trophy now.

Edited by yarnover, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:23 PM.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

What a week. Barcelona & Madrid eliminated from the Champions League. Pep Guardiola quits as Barca coach. But the thing that still perplexes? How the hay did Chelsea make the CL final? I saw the highlights, but it still doesn't compute.

Not to be outdone by the Big Two, Athletico Madrid & Athletic Bilbao are giving folks the all-Spanish final in a European competition that was predicted for months and months.

Can't believe the European season is almost over. Yes, Euros are coming up, but I'll miss club football when it's done for the season.

Edited by yarnover, Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:03 AM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

This is the first time I've really followed the season and the CL. I adopted Napoli and Barca as my teams and they're playing a big one at at Roma right now. espn3 shows a lot of LaLiga and Serie A games, and I got an app on my phone to follow all the big leagues. Some of these games, they really can get up and down the field in a hurry. And the big players sure as hell aren't afraid to shoot.

I watched pretty much all the Chelsea matches in CL. They seem to do just enough. And they really don't make mistakes or get burned on counterattacks. Lampard sets a very mentally tough tone for the team, and it seems like playing at Chelsea is really hard for any visitors. I thought for sure Napoli would advance past them in CL, but they don't seem to really know how to win in those big games.

Barca has been weak in the back all year and it wasn't surprising that Chelsea would slip a goal in. Then they just played smart and got lucky.

I think Barca is mentally drained especially with all the talk of possibly repeating in CL. It seems almost to me the massive spotlight on the Patriots when they were going for the undefeated season.

They won the club world cup, advanced to the finals of the domestic cup, all those CL games over the last two years. I just think they ran out of gas. They lost a key defender too. I don't blame Pep for stepping down either. He's accomplished at lot. I can imagine managing Barca is probably like managing the Yankees, Red Sox, Knicks, and Giants in the USA combined.

BM played well enough to beat Real, but I think Real should have won. Ronaldo is exceptional, but he seems to fade in big games, though he did just enough to push them in extra time. It's been actually a lot more exciting following the soccer season than following baseball or basketball for me. Probably because I played the game and was an official too. Now I can root for all my favorite players in the Euros.

I think the CL final will be tight, but I don't think it's going to be a lot of scoring and it will be very physical. I think Chelsea is more technically sound and win 2-1.

Edited by ganesh, Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:32 PM.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Less than a month to go till Euro 2012 kicks off.

In the meantime, Atletico Madrid have won the Europa League final over Athletic Bilbao (3-0). I followed the match while at work but was unable to actually see any of it. After their passage through the last 2 rounds, I thought for sure Bilbao would come out on top, but Radamel Falcao had another breakout night in this competition.

And in just a little over a week, Chelsea will travel to Munich trying to win their first Champions League (though I do want to call it the European Cup). Not sure how to predict that one. Chelsea being in the final is improbable, so why can't they win now...but Bayern are at home, so...I just want the final to be thrilling.

RE: Euro - Roy Hodgson managing England has the potential to be interesting, or an abject failure, or both. Time will tell.

I can't wait till we start to see official team rosters for the tournament.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

I commented on my view of the CL final already, I recall some key players are out on both sides because of yellow cards, so the starting line ups and when/which subs are used should be a bigger factor.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

So, European club season is over – except for the small matter of the Champions League final. Looking at the big 4 leagues, I’d have to say all the champions are deserving.

Premier League – This was a wild ride all season long (Arsenal in the relegation zone! Arsenal resurgent! United top of the league and in control! City in the driver’s seat! Tottenham are for sure finishing 3rd; no, wait, they may not even make the Champions League! Chelsea are in the doldrums! No wait, they’re actually in the Champions League final – and all they had to do was fire their manager!) So, it was sort of fitting that the finish was dramatic. Though City ended up winning, I think United fans can be heartened by the fact that the margin was SO close.

La Liga – The Big Two still dominated, but there were some surprises along the way. Like Villareal getting relegated in the same season they played in the Champions League. And Malaga sealing their place in next season’s Champions League. And, of course, Real Madrid going on a tear of a season (finishing with 100 points) to end Barcelona’s three-year hold on the league title, sealing it fittingly with that 2-1 win at the Camp Nou. The biggest change, IMO, was seeing Pep Guardiola resign as Barca manager. It’s the end of his era, but I hope he returns to the game after his break.

Bundesliga – Wow. Dortmund just dominated Bayern this season, as evidenced by that 5-2 pounding they gave the Bavarians in last weekend’s cup final. Bayern must be thanking God that they never had to meet their countrymen in this season’s Champions League. Elsewhere, I was sad to see Raul leave Schalke. Enjoyed watching him there. Too bad about Cologne getting relegated, but their loss is obviously Arsenal’s gain (or so Arsenal hope anyway).

Serie A – Not a league I watch a whole lot, but credit to Juventus for their season. Milan certainly had their chances, but they slipped up several times (most notably in the Milan derby matches) losing or drawing where they should have won. A bit surprised to see Napoli not finish above Udinese in the CL spots. And really surprised to see Inter finish 6th. I have to constantly remind myself that this team won the CL title in 2010.

Eredivisie – Again, not a league I follow closely (though this season, I was keeping track of Jozy Altidore’s improved form for AZ Alkmaar). But I watched the final match of this league’s season last week and was thrilled to see Feyenoord finish second and book their place in Champions League qualifying. This was a team that had conceded 10 goals in a single game two seasons ago. Nice to see them come back from that.

As for the CL final, I agree w/ganesh - it will be close, without a lot of goals scored. At this point, I can't pick a winner.

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Though City ended up winning, I think United fans can be heartened by the fact that the margin was SO close.

No!! It was awful yarnover! I watched it on the BBC as I refuse to give Murdoch my money and I had heart palpitations for the last ten minutes listening to the pundits react to what they were seeing. Non-United fans always go on about 'Fergie time', well it has been renamed by moi as 'City time'! After watching such a fantastic Spanish GP before hand, my poor body and emotions were wrecked; completely up the left.

So, roll on this Saturday - c'mon Bayern Munich! Oh must get some German beer in while I'm at it...And then the Euros? Happy days!

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

No!! It was awful yarnover! I watched it on the BBC as I refuse to give Murdoch my money and I had heart palpitations for the last ten minutes listening to the pundits react to what they were seeing. Non-United fans always go on about 'Fergie time', well it has been renamed by moi as 'City time'! After watching such a fantastic Spanish GP before hand, my poor body and emotions were wrecked; completely up the left.

Aw, I'm sorry WeeS. Believe it or not, I do know how you feel: It took me a looooooong time to recover from Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, which My NY Yankees lost after being up vs. the Diamondbacks in the 9th inning. So, you have my commiserations as a sports fan/team supporter.

Like you, I'm looking forward to Euros, partly to see how much of hot mess England will be (and I say that as an England supporter).

Edited by yarnover, May 14, 2012 @ 8:22 PM.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

The only thing worse for a United fan is to see Chelsea lift the Champion's League trophy. Congratulations to them anyway. Though the Germans did play they better game, they really had bad luck all night. What a messed up year in football!

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

Well, don't give up the tying goal in the 88th minute. Drogba was barely contested. You got to get everyone in that penalty area to defend at that point. And convert your PKs in extra time!

I thought it was a good game to watch since I didn't have any rooting interest in either team, though I picked Chelsea to win. They are a very mentally tough team. They just out gutted Napoli, and the took down Barcelona with a man down, so playing on BM's home turf for the final wasn't going to phase them.

How awesome that the keeper took one of the PKs? I thought BM was very poor in the PK round. There were two where they completely tipped off where they were going to Cech. I think they were just mentally drained. They threw everything they had a Chelsea and still couldn't beat them on the field.

This was the first year I really followed the european leagues and the euro qualifiers and I have been thoroughly entertained. One more to go tomorrow with Juve/Napoli for the Italian cup!

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I know blackburn, I feel sick. I was rooting for them as if they were United.

I couldn't even watch it on ITV because they were so (obviously) biased so I switched it over to Irish tv but it didn't make it any easier to watch!And I had to watch it sans beer!

But Bayern had it in the bag - they had numerous chances but no end product. It was like they - especially Robben - were allergic to the penalty box, they couldn't get close to score at all. I was praying one would just do a Paul Scholes style bullet at the goal from 30 yards out.

They obviously didn't learn from THAT great game in 1999! Fool me once and all that!

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

Ironic isn't it that a German team lost on penalties to an English one? Bayern practically handed the trophy to them. Well at least I have the satisfaction of knowing Chelsea finished 6th on the EPL, and therefore this counts as an empty victory for me. I feel for Tottenham though.

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

I used to find the Germans efficiently boring but the last World Cup changed that. Def a team I'll be watching out for in the Euros - considering Ireland are in a group of death (for them), the Germans and Dutch will be my backup teams! There was a quote going round twitter there saying how Italians had won the EPL, FA Cup and now CL so...Trappatoni to do it in Europe with Ireland??

On a sidenote - did everyone see yer woman picking her nose like she was picking a winner when they panned to that prick John Terry in the stands?? Seesh love, you're on national tv, put it away!

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

The only thing worse for a United fan is to see Chelsea lift the Champion's League trophy. Congratulations to them anyway. Though the Germans did play they better game, they really had bad luck all night. What a messed up year in football!

Not a United fan, but I LOATHE Chelsea, and seeing them win in Munich was sickening to me. I'm not a Bayern fan (in fact, I was a bit miffed at them for booting Madrid from the tournament), but they were clearly the better team yesterday. That's TWICE in this competition Chelsea have overcome a team with better attacking prowess that had more possession for the majority of the match. As the match went on, I kept thinking Bayern clearly do not want to win this game.

I CANNOT. STAND. John Terry and had to leave the bar where I was watching the match to avoid seeing him put his grubby hands on the trophy. UGH.

Ok, now for Euros. Spain are still the favorites, but only because they've won the last 2 big tournaments. I guess Germany would be next in line and then...Netherlands?

Not sure how I feel about the England squad Hodgson has chosen. Guess we'll see next week when they play that friendly against Norway.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:38 AM

Spain are still the favorites, but only because they've won the last 2 big tournaments. I guess Germany would be next in line and then...Netherlands?

I'd say Spain is still the heavy favorite. Strategically they have the strongest team. But am not sure if they can win twice in a row. Germany is my 2nd favorite too considering how far they went in the last world cup despite not being the favorites.

I CANNOT. STAND. John Terry and had to leave the bar where I was watching the match to avoid seeing him put his grubby hands on the trophy. UGH.

Why did he get to lift the trophy when he was banned from playing the match? I don't care if it's in the rule books, just N-O to Terry lifting any cup.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Nike's Euro 2012 My Time is Now ad - in the vein of 2010's Write the Future. Have to say, I like the new one better.

Edited by yarnover, May 21, 2012 @ 12:43 PM.

Cougar High

Cougar High

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Last night I watched the UEFA Champions League Magazine show on Fox Soccer and I thought it did a great job recapping the pageantry and drama of this year's final. They filmed reaction to the game as it happened, not only in the stadium, but also at a pub filled with Chelsea fans in London, as well as at the old Olympic Stadium in Munich where the game was broadcast over giant screens to a huge pro-Bayen Munich crowd. The respective crowd reactions afer each goal and near goal and the penalty kicks was practically as exciting as when the actual game was taking place. The film crews that UEFA uses are every bit as good the ones NFL Films use. If you get a chance to watch this you won't be disappointed.

BTW, here's a link to an interesting article about the upcoming fight for the rights to show EPL games in the U.S.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Do we need a separate thread for Euro like there was for World Cup 2010?

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

Fan of Sporting KC (the Kansas City MLS team here). Last night, the Chicago Fire came to town, and beat us 1-0.

NBC Sports had their pre-game and post-game set up in the stadium -- in the member's stand bar. What do they do? They bring the Chicago goalie into the SKC member's bar for a post-game interview.

This was a horrible idea.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

In other MLS news, David Beckham got a one-game suspension for his little performance against San Jose the opther night.

And Roger Bennett of ESPN has a preview of the rest of the summer action.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

First XI MLS All-Stars

This team will play Chelsea on July 25 at PPL Park in Philadelphia.

Edited by yarnover, Jul 8, 2012 @ 9:43 PM.

Pol

Pol

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

A victory for football today: Newco Rangers FC (a team formed several weeks ago) have been placed in the Scottish Third Division. Rules were not ignored just to facilitate them-well, it's debatable as to whether or not they even deserve to be in the Third Division. (Old) Rangers FC cheated and lied for years, and are now getting exactly what they deserve.