The Riches: Eddie Izzard Has a TV Show!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1453 replies to this topic

starchystarch

starchystarch

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2008 @ 11:41 PM

Yikes! The "pinocchio nose" effect is somewhat disturbing in the promo I saw -- they really, uh, shoot out.

No matter: What's important is that it's coming back. I miss this show! We were talking about canceling our cable because so much of what's on is such garbage, but now I've gone and got myself hooked on The Riches, then Mad Men, and now Breaking Bad.

kellykapowski

kellykapowski

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 1:32 PM

Bumping this thread for tomorrow night guys! Don't forget to tune in. I was watching season 1 all weekend long and it got me psyched!!

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2008 @ 10:29 AM

And bumping again for TONIGHT!!! Yes. 10 p.m. on FX, with repeats at 11 and 1 a.m., just in case anyone forgets. Hurrah!

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2008 @ 11:06 AM

I can't wait to see how they get out of the mess from the last episode!

I just read that we will have only 7 episodes of The Riches this season. The remaining 6 will not be filmed.

Damn writers' strike. Bummer. I hope the show gets renewed and that's not the reason for the shortened season.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

Can someone remind of the pickle they were in at the end of last season? It seems that menacing guy from the gypsy camp had caught up to them. And I seem to remember them planning to disappear . . . but their rv wouldn't start.

I also remember their neighbor (whom i loved) telling them that no matter what they were or what they'd done . . . they were all right by her.

Can anyone fill in any blank spaces?

calamitysxchild

calamitysxchild

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

OH GOODNESS I LOVE THIS SHOW.

Although it was hard to tell in the beginning where the recap ended and the episode began.

carole0708

carole0708

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2008 @ 10:27 PM

This show is so suspenseful! My heart was beating so fast the first thirty minutes thinking about what Dale was going to do. I wonder why the show ended early though.

Dynamar

Dynamar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2008 @ 11:18 PM

I wonder why the show ended early though.

I'm thinking it was because the guts of the episode was shown with limited commercial interruption, so after the 'this season on The Riches' scenes at the end, then there were ads filling up to the top of the hour.

It sure was all over the place... but perhaps they're just loading up grist for this season's mill.

from carfax

from carfax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2008 @ 11:56 PM

The sooner they kill Dale the happier I'll be. Every time I see him I flash back on that guy from The Howling that turned into a werewolf. Dale has the same look: bleary eyes, stringy hair, pale skin, perpetual five o'clock shadow, sense of menace about him.

Denebola

Denebola

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 1:14 AM

Dale is just a big dumb animal who needs to be put down. But, he does make for good TV. I hated his guts last season, and am pumped to fall in hate with him again this season. The previews with him in a suit and working at Panco make me really interested to see where he's going as a character, and if his allegiances (i.e. to himself and only himself) will ever change.

And a big "hee!" to Dahlia calling Cael a "little bastard" when he went to steal for his "steak and eggs." I said the same thing out loud when he walked over there. Boy is bad news. When I saw that poor old lady looking for her cash, my eyes actually teared up, I felt so bad for her. Thank goodness Dahlia has a heart - it pushes major buttons in me when frail old ladies get stepped on.

Hugh and Dale together are like the freakin' odd couple. Not at all what I expected, and kind of hilarious. Wayne was like a frazzled step-dad trying to deal with a pair of drunken five year olds with a gun. But you can be sure that the security dude isn't going to forget that little party anytime soon.

I'm so glad that The Riches is back on. It washes out that bad, syrupy trash taste that Nip/Tuck left in my mouth with its minty, soulful awesomeness. I mean, Nip/Tuck this season tasted like what I would expect the food stuck on the bottom of my garbage disposal to taste like. But The Riches has the same satisfaction and fulfillment of a home cooked meal. Mmm... The Riches.

MissFancy

MissFancy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 3:08 AM

I am SO glad this is back.

Love that Ninah came along, but too bad she left her car, money and credit cards behind. I wonder if they'll teach her some Traveler cons.

Loved the "Me and Bobby McGee" group sing in the car, especially when "Mama/Grandma" piped in at the last moment.

I particularly love the way that Dahlia has totally adopted Mama as her own.

Hate Dale, though he serves a purpose as dramatic tension and is quite amusing at times. He and Hugh were priceless together.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the season will bring.

Justcara

Justcara

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 10:30 AM

Yay - more Nina! (I love Margo Martindale)

And am I the only one who finds Dale to be kinda...sexy? In a creepy murderin' dumbass kinda way.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 10:55 AM

It looked and sounded like Aidan Mitchell (Sam) hit puberty over the filming break. I think they were trying to make him look smaller with some of the camera angles.

Hate Dale, though he serves a purpose as dramatic tension and is quite amusing at times. He and Hugh were priceless together.

Definitely, a ruthless bastard is a ruthless bastard give or take a little wealth and formal education. And I'm totally amused by Hugh's libertarian streak (waving his gun around, contempt for rent-a-cops) in light of the fact his wealth comes from strictly regulated planned communities. Even though the dilemma of the week formula can get repetitive, the show is right up there with Weeds in the "skewering upper middle class suburbia" genre.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

I liked this ep more than I thought I would. I enjoyed the first season, but I was just worried that the show would disappoint me. It didn't.

I really hated Dale's character last season -- Not just because we're supposed to hate him, but because he was too cartoony and dirty and disgusting and unwatchable. But I enjoyed him this time. Yes, it's still despicable, dirty, disgusting, crazy, and worthless, but I found him very watchable. He said some dumb things, like thinking Hugh had broken the toilet when he threw the ring in, but he entertained me.

I loved how every conceivable -- and INconceivable -- thing that could go wrong did go wrong as they were trying to escape. I'm so glad that Nina decided to go with them. It was funny seeing how excited she was to witness how con men work. There were many scenes where she was carefully watching Dahlia or the others, curious about the details, wanting to learn. When she asked Cael if she could come watch him steal a car, Dahlia said no and added: "Starsky don't need no Hutch." BWAH!

I also loved when Nina complained about needing a shower, and Dahlia said, "You've just got a bug in your hair." A nice little line to show that Nina has not taken completely to a dirty life on the road.

Another favorite line of mine was when Cael stole the lady's money and returned happy to the table, then Dahlia, all angry about him stealing, said, "Wrap that steak in a napkin. Go steal me a car."

Poor Pete. I was really hoping he was alive, although I don't think the Malloys/Riches could have survived with him still in the picture.

I liked that the security guard/rent-a-cop was not the usual bumbling boob cheap joke that movies and TV shows like to trot out.

I think Hugh is a bigger ass than Dale. Wouldn't ya know it that they'd bond over a gun. I enjoyed seeing Dale watch as Hugh told Wayne about what happened with his wife. I thought Dale might be thinking something like, "Shit, these rich people are crazy."

I thought it was weird that Wayne wrapped the hammer/murder weapon in bubblewrap and hid it away. I guess this shows that he's not a killer. I expected him to wash the thing with bleach.

Are we supposed to know who was Dale talking to on his cell? I couldn't read the display. Was it the new guy we see in the previews?

Solea

Solea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 1:34 PM

Weve been waiting for how many months and this is what we get?

Im guessing they were going for madcap what-else-could-possibly-go-wrong shenanigans. But what we got was dreary, depressing and unfunny.

Dale has the same look: bleary eyes, stringy hair, pale skin, perpetual five o'clock shadow, sense of menace about him.

Indeed. So why do I find him kind of attractive? *hides*

cpennylane

cpennylane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 5:41 PM

I'm so happy this show is back! I wish we could get some recaps.

I really enjoy the overall quality of this show and hope that it is renewed. I am disappointed in the abbreviated season.

I can't believe that Dale didn't know he killed Pete. He attacked him with a hammer! And then he tried to tell Wayne that Pete was still alive? Was that supposed to be a fake out? Dale is so creepy.

I was disappointed that it was so short, and the previouslies were so long! I heard them advertise the sneakpeek, fast forwarded and there looked like 10 more minutes, but then I hit the credits.

FrozenBarbie

FrozenBarbie

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 6:08 PM

I wish we could get some recaps.

Well, this is where MY head's at.. I just (mis)read that as: "I wish we could get some recipes". I was very confused there for about a nanosecond.

But speaking of food, and Dale's odd sex appeal, I'm sort of attracted to Dale in the way that I'm attracted to stinky cheese and porcini mushrooms. There's something strangely seductive in all that repulsive, animal, earthy, musky funkiness. Hugh, on the other hand, even though he's a bad boy like Dale, is not sexy at all. But they're all damn funny (Eddie in particular), which is the most seductive quality of all.

starchystarch

starchystarch

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 7:33 PM

I loved the strangely heartwarming moment where the younger son says "Everyone has a price!" and Izzard gives him a big hug and says (in the voice of James Mason) "Nice try."

YaYalaw

YaYalaw

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

I'm so happy this show is back! I wish we could get some recaps.

I do too! This is so much more deserving than some of the other shows that get them, IMHO.

I have tickets to see Eddie in Boston on April 30th ... woo hoo!

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 11:07 AM

I can't believe that Dale didn't know he killed Pete. He attacked him with a hammer! And then he tried to tell Wayne that Pete was still alive? Was that supposed to be a fake out? Dale is so creepy.

I think that scene was supposed to be a nod toward Dale's psychopathic nature. He killed his father, he killed Pete with a hammer in a frenzy and didn't realize it until later. I hope that if they do bring Dale in to work at Hugh's company, they don't make him into purely comic relief. I hope they remember that they've written him previously as an insane psycho killer.

I liked the way they didn't actually resolve all the conflicts set up in the finale, but actually added more conflicts and made the situation even more complicated. And I loved Wayne's "wtf?" expression when Hugh was explaining how he broke his wife's finger with the ring. But I still really can't stand the addition of "mama" to the ensemble. I get that Dahlia has an emotional attachment to her, etc., but she's kind of the very definition of a magical cripple. She exists only to reflect the other characters' emotional states, and her particular disability, for lack of a better word, is idealized beyond all believability, for me. And it's not just her ridiculously calm, low-maintenance dementia that rings false, but virtually every aspect of the actual physical caregiving that the family deals with seem implausible, too. Everything else about the show, even the crazy coincidences that have helped keep the family afloat, have been plausible to me, but the Mama thing just doesn't work at all.

Actinolite

Actinolite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 3:14 PM

Everything else about the show, even the crazy coincidences that have helped keep the family afloat, have been plausible to me, but the Mama thing just doesn't work at all.

It would be an interesting twist if it turned out she was faking the dementia, though.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 4:50 PM

The old lady is scamming them all! I love it.

kellykapowski

kellykapowski

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 8:51 PM

But speaking of food, and Dale's odd sex appeal, I'm sort of attracted to Dale in the way that I'm attracted to stinky cheese and porcini mushrooms. There's something strangely seductive in all that repulsive, animal, earthy, musky funkiness. Hugh, on the other hand, even though he's a bad boy like Dale, is not sexy at all. But they're all damn funny (Eddie in particular), which is the most seductive quality of all.

Hahaha - although I couldn't say this half as articulately or eloquently as you - I agree completely! There is something very raw and appealing about Dale - I'm glad he's gonna be around in the coming eps.
And not only is Eddie funny (love the line when the cops proclaims "That's a gun shot" and Eddie replies right back "Sounded more like a loud cough) but I love how he's a family man through and through. Crooks with a heart of gold.....

FrozenBarbie

FrozenBarbie

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 9:32 PM

(love the line when the cops proclaims "That's a gun shot" and Eddie replies right back "Sounded more like a loud cough)

Ha....."loud cough." That was the funniest line of all.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 10:32 PM

It looked and sounded like Aidan Mitchell (Sam) hit puberty over the filming break. I think they were trying to make him look smaller with some of the camera angles.

I noticed that, too! That's the problem with FX shows, they have, like, three years or something between seasons! If you have a kid in the cast, it's tricky! I gave up on Nip/Tuck, but flipping thru the channels, I noticed that even the writers have no idea how old Annie is supposed to be at this point!

I was really dissappointed that not only are we getting an abbreviated season, but the first episode was abbreviated as well! It was a good one, but most FX shows run a bit over an hour, not under!

Ha....."loud cough." That was the funniest line of all.

My favorite was when Dale thought Hugh broke the toilet with the ring!

And am I the only one who finds Dale to be kinda...sexy? In a creepy murderin' dumbass kinda way.

Nope, I love a tall man with a deep voice!

OT - My Eddie tix came in the mail today - woo hoo!

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Mar 20, 2008 @ 10:37 PM.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2008 @ 11:13 AM

I noticed that, too! That's the problem with FX shows, they have, like, three years or something between seasons! If you have a kid in the cast, it's tricky! I gave up on Nip/Tuck, but flipping thru the channels, I noticed that even the writers have no idea how old Annie is supposed to be at this point!

Yeah, seriously. At least on Nip/Tuck they mostly hide the kids. If it's a year between seasons, you kind of have to do it Sopranos-style with the show going in real time. Otherwise, Sam will be Dahlia's height and borrowing her dresses in a few weeks with no explanation.

Edited by jackiecarr, Mar 21, 2008 @ 11:13 AM.

YankeeRebel

YankeeRebel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2008 @ 3:57 PM

Otherwise, Sam will be Dahlia's height and borrowing her dresses in a few weeks with no explanation.

That would actually work for me, 'cause I was quite taken aback at the change in Sam's voice -- and am kinda hoping that as long as the family is split, he might be able to let his girly side out again.

I was a bit overwhelmed by the season premiere -- it seemed like the writers were throwing every possible complication into the soup -- Pete's dead, his body's in the trunk, the rent-a-cop shows up, the taillight's out, Hugh has a gun, Dale fires it, there's a blood stain in the carpet... It just got to be too over the top to me. Maybe I just need to readjust to the tone of the show, though.

But I now have a proper respect for Margo Martindale. I was able to catch her in a couple things between seasons and though I didn't know her before this show, she is a treasure. Also loved how she left her cash and credit cards at home because she thought it would be more fun. Totally in character.

P.S. Tickets to see Eddie in Houston 6/11!

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2008 @ 8:42 PM

Sam will be Dahlia's height and borrowing her dresses in a few weeks

Well in a few weeks Dahlia won't need them, as Minnie Driver is pregnant and will be showing in a few weeks. Fortunately I think this entire season was shot before her pregnancy was obvious (or maybe even before she conceived). It may be an issue for next season though (assuming there will be a third season).

cpennylane

cpennylane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

I didn't even notice the changes in Sam until you guys pointed it out. He's still cute though, and I look forward to more of his barrettes and dresses.

Bexley

Bexley

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 5:47 PM

I just watched the premiere episode and was totally underwhelmed. Like YankeeRebel above, perhaps I just need to get back into the flow of it again. Dale makes me nervous as all hell - I really don't like him. Bleah.

Anyway, looking forward to the next, uh, six shows! :-)

(I have Eddie tix for May 1 in Washington, DC. This is my 3rd time seeing him live (2000, 2003 and now). I'm glad he's touring in between his acting work.)