Oh the Humanity! When Promising Shows Crash and Burn

• Please log in to reply

278 replies to this topic

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

Sorry, wrong thread.

Edited by agora, Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:16 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

LOST has to be the poster child of the forum. Gawd, what a cluster-fuck that show became!

For runner-up I'd nominate Desperate Housewives. I loved the show but had pretty much given up by the season finale.

Lastly, a regrettable nod to Twin Peaks, but I'm nor sure it quite fits. I think it was more a victim of moving to Saturday night than crashing and burning. Sure, the show fumbled after they resolved "Who killed Laura Palmer", but I think they were back on track at the end of the 2nd season with the White Lodge storyline.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

Ugly Betty.

Started as "the little big show we were supposed to love" and less than 4 seasons later ended up worse than Glee IMO.

Edited by agora, Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:34 AM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Same thing with Falling Skies I guess.

No the Pushing Daisies reference was to the writers strike coming along to stop production and kill the momentum of all the Emmy nominations. Falling Skies just did not honor its own premise

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

Someone mentioned Boom Town upthread--a crime show with the events told from multiple points of view. I'm glad someone else remembers what a fascinating premise it was, and how disappointing to see it turn into a routine police procedural. TPTB apparently didn't give people credit for understanding why they were seeing the same scene at different times--aaargh!

It's become synonyous with terrible TV ideas, but I quite liked Cop Rock. Some of those songs were really clever. I loved the gospel-singing jury, the Busby Berkeley-like dream sequence of a plastic surgeon and nurses, and the spectacle of a young blond cop--a Dan Quayle look-alike--wandering a parking lot in search of his lost car, singing a pep talk to himself. The show went off the rails not in its premise, IMHO, but in focusing too much on a dull subplot about an attractive female cop, her homely husband, and her attractive male partner.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I was totally absorbed by Donnie Wahlberg on Boomtown. The only other thing I had ever seen him in before was The Sixth Sense, and I was blown away by his acting in the TV series. I still enjoy him on Blue Bloods, but Boomtown was awesome. Another outstanding actor in that series was Neal McDonough

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

GreekGeek I agree about Cop Rock. The gospel singing jury was genius. I remember seeing that, and thinking it was the most clever thing on TV. Then the show tanked.

callmebetty

callmebetty

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

The 4400 What a great premise for a show, people who were abducted by aliens over decades finally return in present day, was it Seattle? They each have been altered with some sort of "power": ability to see the future, super strength, and each returnee has a story, the government was trying to contain/ find out about them, they were trying to return to their lives, but by the last episode of the first season I knew that this great show couldn't last. When we find out Lily is pregnant (possibly with an alien baby) and the last shot is trees "bowing" to the car she is riding in, I knew that it was the beginning of the end. We return to the second season with a baby that will grow to a full grown woman in a few episodes, a returnee center that is shady, the returnees being abducted and the everything just begins falling apart. I gave up half way through that season and didn't make it to the third. I remember reading to find out about how it ended and it turned out that the aliens were actually future humans trying to save present day earth. Do I have that right?
It had great acting, interesting premise, I wish it would have been a mini-series.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I think it actually was a mini-series which got picked up as a series, so they had to retcon a bunch of stuff to continue. I'm with you on the annoyingly overused plot device of the magic baby (not so affectionately nicknamed "Killabelle" for her problems with impulse control) but there were some great relationships and characters I still miss. It could have gone on for another season in my opinion but the ending was pretty good. If you get a chance you might want to watch the rest of the series.

Edited by CoderLady, Sep 5, 2012 @ 1:57 PM.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

I still maintain that Tom and Diana had one of the best partner relationships ever on that show. The fact that they didn't go the constant will-they-or-won't-they route with the two of them was refreshing (which made the occasional UST joke even better).

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

I particularly liked it when Diana got involved with Marco - you just don't see powerful, professional women going for the younger nerdy types on television.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

It's become synonyous with terrible TV ideas, but I quite liked Cop Rock. Some of those songs were really clever. I loved the gospel-singing jury, the Busby Berkeley-like dream sequence of a plastic surgeon and nurses, and the spectacle of a young blond cop--a Dan Quayle look-alike--wandering a parking lot in search of his lost car, singing a pep talk to himself. The show went off the rails not in its premise, IMHO, but in focusing too much on a dull subplot about an attractive female cop, her homely husband, and her attractive male partner.

I really liked 'Cop Rock' too. It was a cross between 'Fame' and 'Hill Street Blues'. I don't think there were any specific plot details that caused the show to implode per se. I think the entire concept was a little too avant-garde and ambitious for it's time and just went over the audience's head.

Of course, 'Fame' had the same problem too. It was a quality show that struggled to find an audience, but it somehow managed to limp along for 5 years before running out of steam. Hill Street fared a little better after it became an Emmy favorite.

Edited by getawayjordan, Sep 7, 2012 @ 5:10 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

On a similar note, there's Police Squad, which only lasted six episodes due to being so dependent on visual gags that the audience had to constantly be paying attention to the screen. Though the Zuckers have said that it was actually a relief, since they were already starting to struggle for new ideas and there was no way they could have kept it going at the same quality for much longer.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

I could tell they were starting to get repetitive near the end of the first season of Police Squad.

BeetFarmGirl

BeetFarmGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I still maintain that Tom and Diana had one of the best partner relationships ever on that show. The fact that they didn't go the constant will-they-or-won't-they route with the two of them was refreshing (which made the occasional UST joke even better).

Heh. one of the biggest laughs I had was when Diana's sister had the ability to make others tell the truth. When Tom expressed skepticism she asked him if he had ever had sexual fantasies about Diana. He replied, "Sure working together late at night sometimes I'd get to thinking..." he realized what he'd said, looked horrified then they just moved on. Too funny.

I wish that show hadn't gone off the rails- but once it started delving into the two groups from the future trying to manipulate the present day it just got way way too confusing.

Edited by BeetFarmGirl, Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:42 AM.

VioletVisions

VioletVisions

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Camelot - it was promised to be a Darker and Edgier version of the lore, kind of like Game of Thrones. Filmed in a beautiful location with a fairly big budget. Shame the writing turned out so bad, and that the lead actor was utterly miscast. (Go into the serie's thread in the scifi/fantasy forum to see what I mean.) Cancelled after one season.

And IMHO, Sinbad, too. There was quite a warm welcome for the show, mainly because finally there was a genre show with at least half the main and recurring cast being men and women of colour, including the lead. It had a lot going for it: lots of pretty people, and even some slash potential (without being nearly as queer-baiting as Merlin). The pilot episode was nicely dark and dramatic (and quite realistically violent with some Fight Club style action and character death). Also, the show has gorgeous location shots, set design, and pretty decent CGI monsters, for a British show. But then the writing turned ever more... mediocre, kid-friendly and monster-of-the-week style, so that the interest in the show seems to have pretty much died.
Also, half a dozen episodes in, they made the inexplicaple mistake to replace a major character and love interest that people had happily started shipping with the lead (even ifshe was mostly just a "damsel in distress" role with regards to the plot) with a character that was just screaming "I am so cool and edgy and you WILL love me!". (A bounty hunter named "Tiger"... because she was raised by tigers. Yes, really.) And by the end of the first season, the lead and an increasingly marginalised (as in, not part of the plot) comic relief / mentor character were the only roles played by PoCs left, everyone else had been killed off, or in the love interest's case, simply left for no particular reason, to be replaced with a white actress. I don't know if this show is getting another season, but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 6:27 PM

I gave up on Enlightened because it struck me as the next John from Cincinnati and it was, at least in the cancelation front.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 5:29 PM

I wonder what shows do you remember that seem to have debuted with such fanfare and promise. People were screaming that it was going to be the next big thing. Everyone seemed to be excited about it. The show may debut with huge ratings and is off to a good start. Every critic in town loves it, everyone at the water cooler is gushing about it at work. But something happens. You notice that the quality of the show is starting to diminish, the ratings are beginning to slip, and more and more negative buzz begins to surround it. The show's timeslot changes and then it changes again, and again. Eventually maybe after one season or maybe half of season two the show is unceremoniously cancelled. Suddenly the show that was going to be the next Hill Street Blues or ER is now just another unmarked headstone in TV's long and ever expanding graveyard of cancelled shows.

Now of course the shows I'm talking about aren't critical darlings and rating hits that simply go on for way too long like ER or NYPD Blue. Or good shows that maintain a high standard quality for most of it's run with the exception of a crappy final season. (ie Homicide) No I'm taking about the well-hyped shows that crash and burn after one (or maybe two seasons).

Revolution was a kick-ass idea, but unfortunately they picked a really whiney and untalented lead. It's getting a second season, but what started out as (and what could have stayed) a big hit probably won't last that long unless they really managed to turn this show around. The massive ratings bleed is well-deserved.

I mean, I could be wrong- how the 90210 reboot was able to get 5 seasons baffles me.

Nashville came close to this- it was premiered with big fanfare and expectations, and the show hasn't been able to deliver on it. I enjoy the show and I'm glad it's getting a second chance, but I get why the show is crashing. Connie Britton is playing a country super star, but her voice isn't that good. Hayden's character is put in one depressing storyline after another. The tent-pole young love couple, Scarlett and Gunnar, isn't really working. From what I'm understanding, there are a lot of creative differences behind the scenes, and it's showing. Let's hope they can get it together for season 2.

Edited by MethodActor05, May 21, 2013 @ 5:46 PM.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

I just got reminded that Nestor Carbonell played Batmanuel.  That inspired me to begin a re-watch of the nine episodes of The Tick on hulu, which I haven't seen in a decade.  Its still genius and too weird for network television.

This has inspired me to consider a before they where on Bates Motel they had shows that crashed and burned* re-watch.  I don't remember Roar at all, but it apparently has both Heath Ledger and Vera Farmiga in it.

Qualified the terms because I'm not watching Lost again.  Had too much of that in first run episodes.  Stupid hatch.

Edited by ParadoxLost, May 22, 2013 @ 12:03 AM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 1:16 AM

Roar was an interesting show.  And I LOVED The Tick.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 10:45 AM

Revolution was a kick-ass idea, but unfortunately they picked a really whiney and untalented lead. It's getting a second season, but what started out as (and what could have stayed) a big hit probably won't last that long unless they really managed to turn this show around. The massive ratings bleed is well-deserved.

I lost interest before the opening credits when an airplane that lost its power dropped like a rock to the ground. If you can't get something simple like that correctly, I'm not going to watch.

Kathira

Kathira

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 12:48 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alphas. A show that followed the Heroes trajectory, only faster. And I hate to say it, but I'll be surprised if Defiance lasts more than 2 seasons, after starting out with a lot of hype and hopes for it being interesting. 

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 6:38 PM

There was a mention of Alphas on Big Bang Theory.  Sheldon was upset that the show had been canceled, and he tried everything he could to get it renewed, then he contacted the show runner and when he found out where the show runner was planning on going with the show, Sheldon was glad it had been canceled.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

666 Park Avenue.   Terry O'Quinn and Vanessa Williams made a charismatic and gorgeous couple, and the premise -- the Drake Hotel is the actual Hellmouth (or something) -- seemed perfect for the supernatural set.  But the series was pulled before completing its 13-episode run; however the final four will actually begin airing next week and conclude in July.  According to Wiki, some of the sets were damaged during Hurricane Sandy, but that doesn't seem to be why it was canceled.  I actually watched the first two episodes, but it just didn't "take" on me.

Edited by heirloomtomata, May 31, 2013 @ 7:06 PM.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 7:38 PM

I have to start putting community in this list. I'd 3rd season on, this just isn't the same show. I know same people rave about how it breaks boundaries between genres, but I just don't find it funny anymore and it's lost the season one and two flare.

Edited by HickoryColt, May 31, 2013 @ 7:39 PM.

BarbLLM

BarbLLM

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 6:06 PM

As far as shows that have crashed and burned, I'd have to agree with Mike Nelson's riff while watching the 2009 film "Star Trek": "Why did Heroes suck so bad after season 1?"  I really, really wanted to get into that show, but I just couldn't.  

I'd also state that Boomtown was a good show and critically lauded, but critics' opinions mean nothing compared to advertising dollars. Invasion, which aired post-LOST on ABC, was great fun but disappeared quickly.  I loved William Fitchner's creepy sheriff.  

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

"Why did Heroes suck so bad after season 1?"  I really, really wanted to get into that show, but I just couldn't. 

I refuse to believe the writers strike had much to do with it.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 3:07 AM

Invasion, which aired post-LOST on ABC, was great fun but disappeared quickly.  I loved William Fitchner's creepy sheriff.

Speaking of Fichtner: I quite liked MD's starring him and John Hannah. I don't know that it crashed and burned per se, but I wish more people had watched it.

YourMomOnToast

YourMomOnToast

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 11:14 AM

Invasion, which aired post-LOST on ABC, was great fun but disappeared quickly.  I loved William Fitchner's creepy sheriff.

OMG I had forgotten about Invasion! I floved that show.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

"Why did Heroes suck so bad after season 1?"  I really, really wanted to get into that show, but I just couldn't.

It's because they spent the first season building up all the Heroes coming together. Season 2 needed to go more in an X-Men direction. Instead they separated everyone faster than you can blink and I, as an audience member, spent the rest of the series, up until I bailed, saying "you moron, you know other people with superpowers, call one of them."