Pilot Season: Which Shows Will Make it, and Which Should?

• Please log in to reply

276 replies to this topic

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Yeah I remember a lot of last-minute 180 gyrations last year (and the year before that), so I'm not taking anything as gospel. I dug up Deadline's Early Buzz 2011 just for comparison purposes.

They actually got a lot right: singling out The New Girl and Don’t Hate The Bitch In Apt. 23 as likely contenders. Touch as a midseason order, Alcatraz, The Finder, Pan Am, Charlie's Angels, Good Christian Bitches, Revenge, Smash, The Playboy Club, and The Secret Circle,.

Edited by Temis the Vorta, Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:32 PM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

The latest post on pilots at Deadline:

http://www.deadline....ot-list-update/

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Ah, it's this maddening time of year again, when the shows that sound the most promising all go down in flames and a bunch of derivative drivel gets picked up. (But I have my revenge in six months watching the drivel crash & burn in the ratings.)

ABC

On the male/genre side, LAST RESORT looks solid, GOTHAM came in OK, while 666 PARK AVE has started to fade after very strong early buzz. There is not much feedback on ZERO HOUR or the UNTITLED ROLAND EMMERICH dramas, but word is the former came in too long and the latter came in stronger than expected, with both reportedly still in contention. As for BEAUTY & THE BEAST, because of extensive visual effects, it hasn’t been seen in its finished form yet.

I'm most interested in 666 Park Ave. Zero Hour and the Emmerich show (which is about the antichrist running for President - I thought it had been renamed Dark Horse already) are interchangeable in my mind, along with NBC's Midnight Sun - more Children of Lost - which don't have a great track record in living up to their initial promise. On the non-genre (presumably female? ;)) side, I'll check out Gilded Lilys.

NBC

DO NO HARM...has lost some momentum but is still very solid. Another early frontrunner, mystery drama MIDNIGHT SUN, has cooled off. I hear Western-flavored FRONTIER is well-liked among NBC brass despite mixed testing results...Off-cycle pilot BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE is cold.

Rats, Beautiful People is one of the more interesting premises this year. (However, in the past I've seen shows do a 180 from cold to hot right before upfronts.) Frontier would be a huge risk, but would be very different from the normal broadcast routine, and I'd love to see it. Do No Harm could be fun (Jeckle & Hyde medical drama.)

JJ Abrams' Revolution is still not being mentioned, but someone in the comments section claims its DOA. No great loss.

CW

Along with early frontrunners ARROW and THE CARRIE DIARIES, I hear BEAUTY & THE BEAST came in good and is picking up momentum. CULT continues to be strong, with Hunger Games-esque THE SELECTION...

Because almost everything on the CW that doesn't include the ever-smouldering Damon Salvatore is doing crappy, all the pilots have a good shot at being picked up. I wanna see Alaric vs. T-Bag (aka Cult) as well as the Hunger Games ripoff.

CBS has nothing interesting, as per usual for them.

FOX's serial killer series starring Kevin Bacon sounds like a shoo-in. Other than that, snore.

TNT - my favorite, LA Noir, is said to be "quiet." TNT would be nuts not to pick of a series with that kind of cast and pedigree!

Edited by Temis the Vorta, Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:27 PM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

I was kinda interested in Applebaum, though I've not read the books they're based on. Deadline is saying the buzz has cooled off for that, though. I need a light, fun mystery series to replace the dreck that is Castle.

I wonder if Elementary will take that tone, or be more procedural and serious. God I don't want it to be all serial-killers and Moriarty-infested.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Does the CW really have the resources to launch six new shows, as that Deadline article suggests? Even if one or two of them are at midseason, that's a ton of promotion and marketing that needs to be done, and all that costs serious money.

Call me cynical, but if that schedule overhaul happens, I would take that as the sign of a final push. If they can't make anything work after wiping out half their lineup, then the network might very well be finished.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

Deadline's latest report

And the Hollywood Reporter's take.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Interesting that Revolution is still alive after all - JJ Abrams gets an infinite number of second chances. I wish someone would do a TNT update.

After all the strong buzz, it would be a shock if ABC passed on The Last Resort because it's not girly enough for them, hah! I hope they pick up Dark Horse (Emmerich) and 666 Park Ave. anyway. And Frontier on NBC.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:08 AM

On the horizon, Black Sails caught my eye. Michael Bay producing a series about pirates for Starz!

While I'm normally the first to complain about historical series getting the details wrong, or changes in adaptions, I'd be completely happy if this had a few fantasy elements.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

Wow at this description of Mamie Gummer in First Cut:

her performance being described as a mix of Calista Flockhart in Ally McBeal and Ellen Pompeo in Grey's Anatomy

I'd probably break out in hives after watching five minutes of this show.

Is it just me, or is Red Van Man a really creepy name for a TV show?

Dramas I'm interested in: 666 Park Avenue, Gilded Lilys, Last Resort, Do No Harm, Revolution, and the Kevin Williamson and Karyn Usher dramas at Fox.

Comedies I'm interested in: Go On, Animal Kingdom, and the Nick Stoller comedy at CBS.

Edited by Redtracer, May 4, 2012 @ 8:07 AM.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

And here's Variety's article. It hits a lot of the same points as the others; there are some new/different details too...

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

Interesting that Variety says that ABC is happy with their comedy development, while the Hollywood Report says they've been disappointed.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Yeah I noticed that contradiction about ABC comedy. But overall, the three sources line up pretty well. They all say the same thing about The Frontier - well liked, but maybe too much of a risk for NBC?

I hope NBC takes the risk - they have the opportunity to advertise during the Olympics, and they need a lineup that will make people sit up and take notice.

Another question mark: which is more likely to go to series at NBC - Revolution or Midnight Sun? Both are sci fi/fantasy so they seem to be competing.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

New updates from Deadline. The network upfronts are next week, so we're getting close to official announcements.

http://www.deadline....nt-week-update/

In fact NBC just announced pickups of New Normal, Revolution, and Save Me:

http://www.deadline....-series-pickup/

This goes along with the Matthew Perry series Go On that they already ordered.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Revolution made it, ok. I'm skeptical about the premise but glad that at least one sci fi show squeaked through.

Good news about LA Noir: TNT is not pitting it against its other pilots (it's still filming, so that wouldn't work anyway), but will evaluate it on its own merits, which given its pedigree, no doubt will be impressive.

Frank Darabontís period pilot L.A. Noir is still filming. It will be evaluated on its own as a potential Sunday genre show for the network, which airs sci-fi drama Falling Skies on the night, and not with Scent and the group of procedural pilots TNT plans to order.

That sounds like they're planning to pair it with Falling Skies on Sunday - not the worst idea ever, since LA Noir has some well-regarded sci fi genre actors in the cast, plus Darabont, to attract viewers who might stick around for Falling Skies - or the reverse, since Falling Skies would probably take the earlier timeslot.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Revolution sounds like a total ripoff of the S M Stirling Dies the Fire books.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

That's exactly what I thought of when I read the description, corvus13. Although I only read the first Dies the Fire book because I thought it was dumb as hell, so I don't really care that much.

So Fox picked up some new shows yesterday, and apparently, they're determining pick-ups this year based on whichever shows have the worst titles. In order of increasing terribleness:

The Goodwin Games (comedy): Fine.

Ben and Kate (comedy): Generic, but at least a step up from the original title, Ben Fox is My Manny (for real).

The Following (drama): About a cult of serial killers and their leader. Formerly known as Mastermind, a far superior title. Now it sounds like one of those Amish romance novels.

The Mob Doctor (drama): About a doctor. Who works for the Mob. Geez, don't strain a creative muscle trying to come up with a title, guys.

It's Messy (comedy): The main character is an OB/GYN. On a show called It's Messy. Need I say more?

Did no one learn anything from Cougar Town?

Edited by Redtracer, May 10, 2012 @ 12:34 PM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

Deadline has some info about pilots at ABC:

http://www.deadline....ok-good-at-abc/

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Deadline updated its ABC pickups with the rumor that Gotham ain't quite dead yet....I wonder if Sun nite will be Once Upon a Time/Gotham/666 Park Ave (giving the latter the 10pm slot so it can get a little more violent and sexy).

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Pickups are being announced, and most of the few pilots I was rooting for didn't get series orders. We'll see what happens in the fall, but the only thing I'm kinda interested in is CW's Beauty and The Beast.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

Here are a few sitcom teasers from NBC:
Just going off the main teasers on each show's front page: Animal Practice comes off as a bit that would never have made it on the incredibly funny Childrens Hospital, but with worse acting. Guys with Kids had really weak jokes and pacing, and this is in the teaser, the thing that's supposed to have enough good stuff to make me want to tune in. Tambor's good in the Next Caller teaser, but Dane Cook doesn't show anything to dampen my default Dane Cook disdain. I don't know that 1600 Penn is a show I want to watch if Josh Gad doing a cut-rate Jack Black is the center of the show. Save Me and the New Normal have a couple of bright spots in there, but they're both wait and see things for me.

The premise/direction of Go On really make me think this is a different take on where Community could have gone. Swap Joel McHale for Matthew Perry, put new Jeff Winger in a grief support group instead of a community college's study group, and there you go.

All that said, I'm sure I would have been negative about the teasers for the shows I currently love. But I guess I was hoping for some combination of show pedigree (showrunner, lead cast members) or outstandingly funny moments to grab me immediately.

Edited by arc, May 13, 2012 @ 4:17 PM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Quick comment on one of NBC's new dramas, Do No Harm: didn't NBC already try this with My Own Worst Enemy?* Of course they're different, but it still another take on Jekyll & Hyde.

*(And perhaps to a lesser extent Awake?)

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

Oh, God, Animal Practice looks horrible, and the supporting cast is atrocious, every single one of them.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

NBC may be hoping that the familiarity of the doctor show format will draw some eyeballs to Do No Harm. But I think it's a danger - the second clip they released (with our hunky and angst-ridden doc being lectured by a colleague and his boss) played like "how many doctor show cliches can we fit in, in under a minute and a half?" How are the sci fi and doctor genres going to mesh without running off fans of either genre?

Maybe if Hunky Angsty Doc starts using his position to devise every more risky and illegal treatments for himself...but does that really synch with cases he is treating? Will he start experimenting on patients?

I love Justin Kirk but Animal Practice looks just plain bad.

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

The previous post, re: "Do No Harm" had me wondering...

From various tv sites I had read, I kind of thought "County" would get on the schedule over DNH because the former seemed to have a lot more positive buzz (personally, I'm not a big fan of medical dramas, anyway). Every year, it seems like there are 1 or 2 shows that everyone expects to be on the schedule (I'd say ABC's "Devious Maids" is another example from this year), but isn't. I was just curious: What are some reasons that execs would pass on a show that seems popular?

I wish CBS had also cancelled CSI: NY & added another new drama.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

ABC had a clear choice during its pilot selection process: to go whole-hog after the female demo, or to hedge their bets with a few male-skewing shows. I figured that the fate of The Last Resort (military angle = guy appeal) hinged on which way they jumped. There were rumors that show - long considered a lock - was in danger.

Then at the last minute, ABC passed on two soapy frontrunners (Devious Maids and Americana) and picked up The Last Resort and a surprise addition that had gotten almost no buzz: Zero Hour, a sci fi/fantasy adventure that sounds like it has crossover gender appeal.

Apparently, Gotham (sci fi cop show) isn't entirely out of contention, even now, which would serve as more counterbalance to the likes of female-appealing shows like Nashville, Red Widow and 666 Park Ave that form the core of ABC's lineup. We'll find out tomorrow when ABC releases its schedule.

ABC was the most interesting network to watch during pilot pickups. The CW was the second most interesting, because they've got the same conundrum regarding gender. Like ABC, they've decided to expand their female-skewing strategy and try to attract more males - with Arrow and probably Cult fits under that heading, too. The Selection might have gotten the nod over Beauty & the Beast, but apparently the former just didn't turn out as good as CW had hoped.

NBC is banking on a heavy comedy slate to attract males watching the Olympics and football, to build their audience back up from the hole it's in now. Among their few dramas, Revolution and Chicago Fire look like solid male-skewing shows. County and Do No Harm were competing for the doctor-show slot, but with a sci-fi-ish angle that promises a lot of action and danger, Do No Harm is more male-skewing.

CBS and FOX are doing better than the other networks, and neither shook things up this year.

So, the bottom line is, everyone's chasing the guys this year. Ha ha, no big surprise, since guys have bailed on TV even more than the gals have. Networks chase the guys every year, it's like the annual Sadie Hawkins dance.

Edited by Temis the Vorta, May 14, 2012 @ 9:04 PM.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Grantland has a piece about the upfronts and shows picked up. (and they linked to this new NYT story about the pilot season process.)

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

I didn't buy Kristen Kreuk as Chun Li and I don't buy her as a tough cop.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

The Selection isn't quite dead, and neither is Gotham. The CW is going to refocus The Selection and try for midseason. They really want to tap into that Hunger Games mystique, and it's a great bridge between the young male and young female demos.

Here's the story about the pilots that are still alive.

If Gotham goes to cable, since it was developed for ABC by 20th Century Fox Television, I wonder where it would land. A&E is part of the Disney family, and they were interested in another series with a very similar premise from Rosario Dawson. The FOX connection could send it to FX, which seems like the wrong place for a show like that, unless it's revamped to be more violent and darker than a broadcast show would be.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

Gotham sounds very much like a Syfy show. One current Syfy show, Alphas, was also originally made for ABC, so the two networks have a history, although Syfy is owned by NBCUniversal, so I'm not sure if that would be an issue. But if it's not, and Gotham can keep the budget contained, the switch could work.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

So, am I the only one who thinks that this year's new shows don't look so good?