Cable Guy's Spawn? Looking Zilch Like TV 'Rents and Sibs!

• Please log in to reply

250 replies to this topic

murphsully

murphsully

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2006 @ 11:26 AM

And genectics-wise, it's totally reasonable for two blue-eyed parents to sire a brown-eyed child, since blue eyes is a recessive trait.

MethodActor05, That is actually physically impossible

Actually, while not common, it is not impossible

Topic: The Full House thing always bugged me too! I also never understood how Roseanne and Dan didn't have at least one overweight child -- they were eating the same foods as the parents.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2006 @ 2:58 PM

Becky(slender, blonde) definitely had to have been recieving some recessive traits.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2006 @ 4:46 PM

8 Simple Rules comes to mind.

Everyone in the family has either brown hair or red hair, yet there was one blonde girl. I'm guess they just need a "hot daughter" for the show.

On the flipside of that though, the younger daughter could absolutely pass as the mother's real-life daughter. The resemblance is amazing.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 2:24 AM

Casting was always pretty good when it came to Erika Kane's girls. Orig Bianca, Orig Kendall aka Sarah Michelle Gellar, Eden Rigel, and the actress playing Kendall now all looked like they could be La Lucci's daughter. More so, in fact, than her actual daughter, who plays Gwen on Passions.

Gypsy

Gypsy

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 4:10 AM

I always thought David Palmer's son Keith on 24 just looked nothing at all like either of his parents or his sister Nicole. Not one single feature in common with any of them. Whenever he was on screen it was all I could think about. I think this phenomena happens the most with ethnic casting, so I know the Huxtable kids and the Bankses kids are going to show up on this thread.

For a good match, I'd say the Brown family on Everwood.

Edited by Gypsy, May 8, 2006 @ 4:11 AM.

Melina Detroit

Melina Detroit

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 6:48 AM

Watching Numbers the other night, I was amazed at how much the father and two sons look alike. They really could all be related.

last minute

last minute

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 7:01 AM

I thought they did a reasonably good job on Joan of Arcadia, and that Jason Ritter and Amber Tamblyn could pass for Joe Mantegna and Mary Steenburgen’s kids easily enough. Michael Welch doesn’t look like the others, but since I don’t think Luke felt he really fit in with his family (and the poor kid really was ignored), it kind of made sense to me that he didn’t look like them either.

sorority

sorority

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 8:38 AM

Everyone in the family has either brown hair or red hair, yet there was one blonde girl. I'm guess they just need a "hot daughter" for the show.

Oh, I don't know. My father and mother both have brown hair, mine's brown, too, yet my brother's both are blonde. It's totally possible.

Hey Im Jeff

Hey Im Jeff

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 10:42 AM

What about Ross and Monica Gellar? Their hair color was the same, but that was about it. Monica looked Irish, while Ross had Hebrew features.

Poor Grace

Poor Grace

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 1:12 PM

On Arrested Development, Middle Eastern actress Alia Shawkat played the daughter of Portai DiRossi (who's as white and blonde as you can get) and David Cross (who has dark hair, but is definitely not Middle Eastern.)

To the show's great credit, they played up the possibility that she wasn't their biological child, with her appearance being one of the main reasons it was suspected she was adopted. But when the show first started, I couldn't believe the casting.

You know, I was a little taken aback at the casting at first, too, but the more I watched the show, the more I really began to see a resemblence between David Cross and Alia Shawkat. Their facial features are pretty similiar (noses and jawlines) and have kinda similiar builds. It's actually pretty subtle, if it was done on purpose.

On the other hand, Michael and George Michael look stunniningly similiar.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 8:39 PM

I would have thought that Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki don't look enough alike to be related aside from the similar eye color, but casting Jeffery Dean Morgan as their father was genius. He manages to look like he could be the father of both boys. At certain times he looks like Sam, and at others he looks (and sounds) like Dean.

I don't find Jeffery Dean Morgan looks much like Jared, but he could definitely pass for Jensen's father.

On 90210, Kelly Taylor and her mother looked exactly alike. It was startling.

I find that Nathan and Dan from One Tree Hill look a lot like father and son. Lucas and Dan? Not so much. Lucas and his mother? Not so much.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 9:10 PM

I thought they did a reasonably good job on Joan of Arcadia, and that Jason Ritter and Amber Tamblyn could pass for Joe Mantegna and Mary Steenburgen’s kids easily enough.

I agree. Partly, I would say this is helped by the fact that, although both Mantegna and Steenburgen both have dark hair, they otherwise look dissimilar enough (he much bigger in both build and features than she) that their combination allows a wide range of plausible appearance in their "children" -- including even Michael Welch.

Kansippian

Kansippian

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2006 @ 9:19 AM

I don't find Jeffery Dean Morgan looks much like Jared, but he could definitely pass for Jensen's father.

I think all the Winchester men look as if they could be a real family. And what a nice looking family, too. Mmm hmm.

I always thought the casting for The Waltons" was phenomenal. Some of the kid actors may have been mediocre, but they did look they were related. I do admit I loved that show.

On a personal note, my parents, brother and sister all got the dark hair and olive skin. I got the blonde hair and blue eyes(Yes, we are all blood relatives). Some may feel I got lucky, but I always wanted the exotic look.

Mattiewilda

Mattiewilda

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2006 @ 4:19 AM

It was like that on Reba, too. Blonde daughter (Cheyenne), red-haired daughter (Kyra), and brunette son (Jake). Jake was the odd one out. Reba's a red-head and Brock was a blonde/strawberry blonde. I do think the actress who played Kyra really looked like she could be Reba's daughter.

Who knows with genetics, though. My mom (red hair and blue eyes) and my dad (black hair and brown eyes) produced three brunettes (two with brown eyes, one green) and two blondes (both blue eyes).

A bit of good casting, I think Alias was usually okay with casting families (Nadia notwithstanding.) Jennifer Garner really does look like what a child of Lena Olin and Victor Garber would look like.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2006 @ 10:26 AM

On Buffy there is Dawn and Buffy who look nothing alike.

I always thought Theo, Vanessa and Rudy Huxtable looked alike, while Sandra and Denise looked nothing alike.

AzureOwl

AzureOwl

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2006 @ 10:30 AM

To be fair, Buffy didn't look that much like Joyce either.

Mer Garnet

Mer Garnet

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2006 @ 1:33 PM

Re: Arrested Development, I actually think Portia De Rossi and Alia Shawkat made a really believable mother and daughter. The first time I watched the show, I was really impressed by how alike they looked.

mschrist

mschrist

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2006 @ 2:34 PM

Kelly Rowan's youngish looks on "The O.C." seem to be getting more problematic. I swear she is looking younger with each season. She not only looks too young to be Adam Brody's mother, but she's even starting to look too young to be Peter Gallagher's wife (or first wife anyway).

I always thought Theo, Vanessa and Rudy Huxtable looked alike, while Sandra and Denise looked nothing alike.

Sandra and Denise were a problem--not only did they not look like Theo, Vanessa, or Rudy, but they also didn't look like Cliff or Claire, either.

Xuewi

Xuewi

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2006 @ 4:52 PM

I agree that Sandra and Denise looked nothing like Cliff or Claire. . . . but I thought they did look like Cliff's dad!

Rainy wish

Rainy wish

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2006 @ 5:46 PM

Kelly Rowan's youngish looks on "The O.C." seem to be getting more problematic. I swear she is looking younger with each season. She not only looks too young to be Adam Brody's mother, but she's even starting to look too young to be Peter Gallagher's wife (or first wife anyway).

Finally something that makes sense lol

alocin

alocin

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2006 @ 7:25 PM

On 90210, Kelly Taylor and her mother looked exactly alike. It was startling.

And if I recall correctly both Kelly and Jackie were self-absorbed, fatuous whingers too.

The Bristows on 'Alias' are freaky good, with the afforementioned exception of Nadia (and that was just put in to try and sell the whole Sloane is her SpyDaddy thing which I didn't buy for one moment - would you want Sloane to be your Dad? Yikes!) Its really weird because Garner is like a gestalt entity, like somebody spliced Olin and Garber together, one episode you think "she looks so like her dad in that shot" and the very next episode its like "oh my God that is SOOO like Irina!" Where 'Alias' slipped up was the Crazy Derevko™ sisters, Olin looked nothing like Isabella Rosellini who in-turn looked nothing like Sonia Braga, although maybe they were in-part using them to sell the whole Nadia is a nice member of the extended Derevko clan. Thank God we never saw Grandpa and Grandma Derevko!

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2006 @ 7:09 AM

If anybody remembers the Seven brides for seven brothers TV series that starred Richard Dean Anderson. It seemed to me like they were trying to include as many hair colours as possible.
They had brothers with black hair - Bryan and Daniel.
brothers with brown hair - Adam and Guthrie
A red head - Evan
A blonde - Crane
and a very white blond - Ford.

(now i'm embarrassed that I can still remember the names!)

The new Doctor Who series, I think they've done a pretty good job with Rose and her parents, except for the whole blue eyed parents/brown eyed kid thing. Yes, I know it's possible, but IIRC, usually a brown eyed kid from blue eyed parents wouldn't have eyes quite so brown as Rose's/Billie Piper's.

Atony

Atony

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2006 @ 1:09 PM

The Casablancas brothers on Veronica Mars really look nothing alike. I mean obviously they are supposed to be two very different people but Kyle Gallner and Ryan Hansen do not look they could be related.

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2006 @ 1:57 PM

Sandra and Denise were a problem--not only did they not look like Theo, Vanessa, or Rudy, but they also didn't look like Cliff or Claire, either.

Then, there was the fact that Vanessa hit a growth spurt and ended up towering over her mom and sisters.

mschrist

mschrist

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2006 @ 2:26 PM

Then, there was the fact that Vanessa hit a growth spurt and ended up towering over her mom and sisters.

"Towering over" is always a fun problem. I think the most obvious was the last season of Home Improvement, when little Jonathan Taylor Thomas's on-screen brothers were about 6'2" and 200 pounds each.

Queenrikki

Queenrikki

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2006 @ 5:49 PM

The Casablancas brothers on Veronica Mars really look nothing alike. I mean obviously they are supposed to be two very different people but Kyle Gallner and Ryan Hansen do not look they could be related.

I actually thought the opposite and do think that they look like they are related, but obviously, YMMV

DMike

DMike

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2006 @ 6:55 PM

I agree with Atony. I never really thought Dick and Beaver fit well together, but then again I only saw their dad and not their mom. Did the real Casablancas mother ever get shown, or just Kendall?

AzureOwl

AzureOwl

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2006 @ 8:31 PM

Yes, we saw their mother, Betina Casablancas, when she came to give them access to their trust funds. I think each of the Casablancas brothers looked like one parent or the other. Little Dick looked like Big Dick, and Cassidy (Beaver) looked like his mother.

Edited by AzureOwl, May 14, 2006 @ 8:32 PM.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 1:17 AM

Where 'Alias' slipped up was the Crazy Derevko™ sisters, Olin looked nothing like Isabella Rosellini who in-turn looked nothing like Sonia Braga, although maybe they were in-part using them to sell the whole Nadia is a nice member of the extended Derevko clan. Thank God we never saw Grandpa and Grandma Derevko!

Weren't the Derevko sisters all different nationalities as well? Their accents were anything but Russian. It was all quite strange...

Wicked Wonder

Wicked Wonder

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 1:37 AM

At least they had a flashback to show that Buffy was a bottle blonde, so I could kinda buy that.

I think the most obvious was the last season of Home Improvement, when little Jonathan Taylor Thomas's on-screen brothers were about 6'2" and 200 pounds each.

And as simular as they looked when they were younger, they looked like three random guys together by the end of the show, especially Noah Taran Smith, who looked like he was dropped into the wrong family by mistake.