Caprica

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

370 replies to this topic

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 7:21 PM

I finally got a chance to watch the last bunch of episodes (depression set in and I just didn't want the story to end so I held off until tonight) and damn!!!!! Now depression has set in all over again.

I really liked this show. Dude!!!!!!!!! You can see how each and every character (well the main ones anyway) ended up where they ended up. And the final episode where Zoe and Clarice had that last speech where Clarice talked about Heaven Zoe about how even the undeserving would end up there and then Clarice talked about God's Will and Zoe said she was God. I got chills.

Plus the final speech with Clarice.....chills I tell you.

God I wish this show had lasted.

Oh yeah and I was wrong about Lacy, I thought she had a Boomer thing going, turns out she's gonna rule the world one day...well at least until it explodes..........

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Mar 19, 2011 @ 7:22 PM.

Dev F

Dev F

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 12:17 PM

If there's anyone else out there who's still interested in this crazy dead show, I just ran across a behind-the-scenes interview I'd never seen before. It's with Kevin Murphy, the guy who took over for Jane Espenson as showrunner halfway through the reason, and it's chock full of new details about both the shakeups to the show's format and the producers' plans for season two. A couple of the more interesting revelations:

The Caprica Times: Just what happened to Tamara?

Kevin Murphy: I'm hazy now, but I believe she eventually became the basis for the Eights. Zoe was the Sixes. I forget the details. You'd have to ask Jane or Michael Taylor.

Michael Taylor had a rather inspired notion to intersect Zoe with the final five, who at the time of Caprica are well-into a long, long space journey to the 12 worlds. The idea was that Zoe would eventually have run into a V-World that's a sleepy little earth-like fishing village. A man is fishing at the end of a long pier and it turns out to be Aaron Douglas. The Final Five keep their brains active on their long journey to the 12 worlds by using their own V-World programs. They fish together for a while. Tyrol is very interested when she explains who she is and what her family is trying to accomplish. He gives her the gift of a fishing lure. When Zoe returns, the lure turns out to be code that gives them the piece they've been missing and Zoe gets a goo-bath. Years later, when the Final Five arrive in the flesh, we imagined Tyrol would have been very curious to see what was done with his gift from many years before.

Of course, there are also some comments about how as the series went on the producers labored mightily to get rid of all the icky "teen angst" and "dancing robots." Sigh.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

Kevin Murphy: We would have dealt with Joseph and his civil rights work. He would have had an affair with Fidi behind Evelyn’s back. Young Bill would have been a spooky, intense kid with a lot of anger over being named for his dead older brother.

They were really planning on having Joseph to have a third/fourth affair. Oh, come on, I thought that they would have tried to make all the characters more likable (like starting with Joseph not cheating on his second wife) and not just have Daniel being less of a douche to everyone, move away from the Tauron Mafia, and not enslaving the last version of his dead daughter, etc...

Kevin Murphy: You’re talking about plans concocted a year and a half ago, so I’ll apologize in advance for any BSG continuity errors I may make. We planned to jump five years, then fill in the blanks in flashback, while moving the storyline against the backdrop of the 12 worlds on the brink of war with the Cylons.

I really don't know if jumping five years into the future would have been a good idea. Personally, I would have the show start off a few months pass, and then fill in the gaps. The reason, is because there was way too much going on and jumping five years would have just added to my anger of "not following through" on the already ongoing story lines that hadn't been resolved.

Kevin Murphy: Zoe is a Caprican Legionnaire. She’s a skin-job, but not the undetectable kind from BSG. It’s a rudimentary version of the technology. She’s more like Arnold in Terminator. The writers reasoned that nobody in the future BSG series was aware this early skin-job existed because Daniel went to great pain and expense to keep it hidden. We would have learned that Jordan Duram survived his gunshot wounds, has permanently left the GDD and is Zoe’s commanding officer. He figures out her secret and helps her keep quiet in return for her assistance on sensitive black-ops missions. As for Zoe, she is mother of Cylons. Some ineffable portion of her “soul” remains in every Cylon for reasons connected to why U-87s are so curiously protective of Zoe’s BFF Lacy. But Zoe has turned against her “children” and has decided to cast her lot in with her human family and the human race.

I do like the idea of the Final Five showing up at the end, but then I really don't want to see a skin-job Zoe and Duram teaming-up to form some kind of secret crime-fighting team.

Edited by TVspectator, May 30, 2011 @ 4:27 AM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

Seeing Zoe and Tigh together would have been fun. "What the frak?!"

Kevin Murphy: We would have dealt with Joseph and his civil rights work. He would have had an affair with Fidi behind Evelyn's back. Young Bill would have been a spooky, intense kid with a lot of anger over being named for his dead older brother.

God, another affair? And they want to know why this show never took off? Maybe it's because the audience had a hard time sympathezing with characters that were all corrupt and unlikeable. I assumed Joe would be the conscience of the show but that was shot to hell with all his shady activity and crappy parenting. And as pointed out, having an affair with Fidi would have kept him entrenched in the Tauron Mafia.

I guess it's silly to get upset over a show that's been canceled for months now but it just goes to show how the producers would have continued to have made the same mistakes in Season 2. It also makes me think that having Joe Adama as a central character was a mistake. I understand, it was done to make the connection to BSG more palpable. But it was contrived as hell to have Adama's father being so involved in the creation of the Cylons. Joe should have been a different character and maybe Joe Adama could have just made an appearance or two.

Edited by benteen, May 30, 2011 @ 4:34 PM.

JoleneBrown

JoleneBrown

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 8:39 PM

Not to mention to make him a central character and then to have him and the Adama family be so utterly different in every imaginable way than we were led to believe they were in BSG. It's one thing to demystify the Adama name a little, but here it was like the name was the only connection and everything else was totally changed. So why bother? I can't over-emphasize how frustrating this was for me as a viewer. I just don't get it. It was so exasperating and at the same time completely unnecessary. I really feel that the way they wrote the Adamas destroyed the show for me personally, although there were other problems with it as well.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 9:43 PM

I liked Sam and Tamara but what they did for Joe was awful. Then we have young Bill Adama who's really not Bill Adama. Not to mention bringing in this whole Tauron heritage thing that Bill Adama never showed any hint of on the show. And for the kickers, let's create another contrived Tauron ritual so that Bill shares the same name as his dead brother.

ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 11:30 AM

Wow!
This show really died before it's time.

Introduced my friend (a non-BSG watcher, and self proclaimed "Television Elitist") to the show via DVD, and he was totally mesemerized.
Though I'm not sure if watching this show is better KNOWING the backdrop of the BSG saga, or not.

Thanks for the "BTS" interview; I had an idea of where they wanted the show to go, but I'm more curious how they got there. (I dig the idea of Zoe/Lacey/Tamara being templates for the future models, but I don't think was made explicit in the show itself...)

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 6:46 PM

I saw both Sasha Roiz and Alessandra Torresani on last night's Warehouse 13. It looks like Sasha Roiz's character is going to be a bad guy while Alessandra Torresani had a smaller role as a victim of a stalker who was using an artifact to get rid of anyone she got mad at. Overall, they weren't bad (although, I don't like Torresani as a blond).

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music--Mandolin
    History
    Vegetarian Cuisine

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 3:57 PM

Thanks, Dev F, for the link. I wish I had come across it months ago.

I am rather struck by the lengths that the production crew went to to change course mid-season. Indeed, they had no intention of make the paralegal Joseph's new wife or Bill Adama's father! Her name change was painstakingly edited in! I feel sorry for the actor who played Will. He may have believed himself that he would play the future Bill Adama, but suddenly found he would be written out of the series.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 10:57 PM

I am rather struck by the lengths that the production crew went to to change course mid-season. Indeed, they had no intention of make the paralegal Joseph's new wife or Bill Adama's father! Her name change was painstakingly edited in! I feel sorry for the actor who played Will. He may have believed himself that he would play the future Bill Adama, but suddenly found he would be written out of the series.-Bad Thoughts

Yeah, the name change for Adama's mother (a.k.a. Joseph's second wife) was most likely due to the fact that Caprica was rushed into production, which translated into Moore et al. making some continuity mistakes while writing the first season (there is a whole boat load of retcons in Caprica. The mother of all being that skin jobs existed before the arrival of the Final Five). Although, I do feel that some of the changes were greatly needed and were done in order to save the show (which turned out to be futile); in the end, they should have made the characters either more interesting or likable. Even when the show was getting a bit better, there was still the memories of how bad and slow the show was before the second half of season 1 (its like having a bad taste linger in your mouth after brushing your teeth).

Edited by TVspectator, Sep 21, 2011 @ 11:17 PM.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music--Mandolin
    History
    Vegetarian Cuisine

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

I just reread that Kevin Murphy interview. Yep, it's been a while, but my son has become interested in Galactica now that BBC America is being run on a (near) daily basis. I'm convinced I would have hated second season Caprica. Murphy's little list reveal how elements of the first episodes that I found charming would have been written out. "No dancing robots." OK, maybe dancing robots was corny. However, jumping ahead in order to but Alessandra Toressani back into human form would have eliminated the technological aspect of interpersonal relationships on the show. Loving the machine was a powerful aspect of the show, and it would have been written out.