Caprica

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

370 replies to this topic

bluedevilblue

bluedevilblue

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 6:08 PM

So long as I don't have to watch Caprica to get what's going on on BSG and so long as they don't tie themselves up in knots on continuity issues (I don't want to have to have a BSG story go a certain way because they had to have some story on Caprica), and so long as they have different day-to-day show runners so we don't get a split in attention, I think it will be fine. It might even be good. But it needs to be its own, separate show. And they need to follow the golden prequel/sequel rule - first, do no harm. Or what I like to call the Lucas rule after the man who seemed determined to ruin the movies of my youth with substandard "prequels".

Edited by bluedevilblue, Apr 26, 2006 @ 6:09 PM.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 6:41 PM

From zap2it:

The Sci Fi Channel will delve into the backstory of "Battlestar Galactica" with a new series that looks at the years leading up to humanity's devastation by the Cylons.

The prequel, called "Caprica," heads a list of development projects the cable network unveiled Wednesday.

"Caprica" will be set more than 50 years prior to the events of "Battlestar Galactica" and focus on the lives of two families -- the Adamas (ancestors of future Galactica commander William) and the Graystones. Humankind's Twelve Colonies are at peace and on the verge of a technological breakthrough: the first Cylon.

As "Battlestar Galactica" is about a lot more than space battles, "Caprica" will be as much family drama as sci-fi tale. Remi Aubuchon ("The Lyon's Den," "24") is writing the pilot script; "Galactica" veterans Ronald D. Moore and David Eick will executive produce it.

I've had a hard time staying consistently interested in BSG, but this still sounds very appealing. Hopefully they'll acquire a cast as good as BSG's. And frankly, I can live without the space battles anyway.

Edited by kieyra, Apr 26, 2006 @ 6:48 PM.

Azurekite

Azurekite

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 6:56 PM

"Caprica" could work if it was substancially different from BSG (less of a military emphasis, for example). There's plenty of potentially interesting stories which could be told, not only about the creation of the Cylons but also the Earth myth, Colonial politics and so forth. Does this mean we'll see the old "classic" Cylon model at some point?

Tulse

Tulse

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 7:16 PM

I'm very dubious about the prequel. I just don't see where the tension and conflict and action will come from. Given that it appears the 12 Colonies were pretty much like modern Earth, this series sounds like it will be more soap opera than science fiction. Look, there's folks hanging out by the River Walk in Caprica City! Goodness, look at the people in the cafe in Delphi! Hey, there goes a school group through the museum!

Caprica weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

Good god, it will be Dallas on the 12 Colonies!

It sounds boring and misconceived, without any of the compelling elements of the current series.

Also, I'm worried that RDM doesn't Whedon on us and spread himself too thin -- I sure don't want to see BSG go the route of Buffy.

Edited by Tulse, Apr 26, 2006 @ 7:18 PM.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 8:19 PM

Also, I'm worried that RDM doesn't Whedon on us and spread himself too thin -- I sure don't want to see BSG go the route of Buffy.

Or "Alias" and "Lost", really.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

• Interests:I love most forms of Sci-Fi including Star Trek (especially DS9), Stargate, and BSG. I'm, also, a fan of quality cartoons including Archer, Venture Brothers, Frisky Dingo, Kim Possible, and the returned Futurama.

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 10:05 PM

This is outstanding news!
Personally, I love the space battles, but the quality writing (Black Market not included) and drama is what makes BSG so outstanding and much more than an ordinary Sci-Fi event. If RDM and David Eick can deliver the same level of quality that they are currently delivering then I'll be watching every single week. If they create a new The O.C, only on Caprica with A.I. characters (The C.C.), then I'll pass.

Edited by chancellorjake, Apr 26, 2006 @ 10:08 PM.

bluedevilblue

bluedevilblue

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 11:30 PM

Yes, that's my main concern as well. I wouldn't mind another Dallas, which was terrific television for its first several years, IMO, so long as it doesn't hurt the current show and I think the obvious way it could hurt it is by diluting the time and attention of TPTB. I was relieved to see the 24 person attached to the project, perhaps he will be the actual show runner? I can't imagine being heavily involved in more than one series, since by everything I've ever read or heard, show runners can work 70-80 hours a week, easy. I mean RDM already talked about how he re-wrote Res. Ship on his family vacation. I understand the desire to strike while the iron is hot, but I can't help but worry about him stretching himself too thin. But perhaps it's just because I still remember his Black Market podcast and the concern about doing 20 episodes a season of this show. Surely, he recognizes that doing two shows would be worse and will leave the heavy lifting to someone else.

Edited by bluedevilblue, Apr 26, 2006 @ 11:34 PM.

Maxy

Maxy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 11:41 PM

Hopefully he and Eick are just working on the overall concept and basic underlying historical concepts for the show premise. It would be wonderful if we could get reassurance from RDM on this score though.

graceblue23

graceblue23

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 11:56 PM

While the article does make it seem like a far from solidified project, I have to add my skepticism to the mix. Prequels and sequels are rarely good and so often they represent disingenuous motives. I believe TPTB of Battlestar are talented, capable, and could generate something of quality, but do we need this yet? We only have two Seasons of BG and we’re just beginning our relationships with these people, there is so much we have to learn and so many avenues to explore, I want to see energy and creativity devoted to the characters we are already invested in, instead of giving us a whole new set (hello! Anders/Light Bright Girl/The Hooker). Besides, we did see some struggles this last season of perhaps biting off more than one can chew and the shaky character development that came as a result. If they have a desire to explore family/relationships pre-attack, gives us some damn back-story – again with the characters we’re already invested in.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 1:00 AM

I've got a bad feeling about this. I am having serious Galactica 1980 flashbacks. Okay, maybe that's an unfair comparison, but I would just have to ask why? Why do they feel the need to do this? My thought is greed and that is why I agree with this:

Prequels and sequels are rarely good and so often they represent disingenuous motives.

I will give Moore and Eick the benefit of the doubt and hope that they just want to approach the Galactica saga from a different angle, but the Sci-Fi Channel is another story. I suspect that Sci-Fi wants to milk this show for all they can. They have a critically-acclaimed, Peabody Award-winning hit, so they probably figure that if one is good, two will be even better because it means more exposure and more revenue for the channel. The more I think about it, the more I hope this spin-off doesn't get the go-ahead. Lost has ruined the use of flashbacks for me, but I think I would rather see the storylines of Caprica told through this method on BSG.

Also, if it's only 50 years before BSG, won't that mean that William Adama will be around in the form of a baby/small child? How old is Adama?

Those two articles that were linked to said that Caprica would follow two families, including the Adamas, ancestors of William. I wonder if Bill will even be a character on this show. If so, I would assume that he would be about nine years old, if Bill is supposed to be EJO's age.

Edited by Nikki125, Apr 27, 2006 @ 1:18 AM.

Bacon

Bacon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 1:48 AM

In addition to quality concerns for BSG, as well as other concerns I share with y'all, I worry that it won't have enough story. We know how it ends up 50 years later. So, I imagine they're going for more of a character/family drama. Another concern is that it won't be alien enough. Just too "current earth" like a lot of what passes for SF on that channel.

And ... if RM and DE needed more time between seasons this last go round, I shudder to think how many sub-par "Black market" type eps we'll be seeing for both shows. Already the name of the non-adama family sounds like it was selected by a SciFi Channel exec's 7 year old.

But, for now, I am keeping an open mind.

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

• Interests:SF (especially Star Trek and its various incarnations, and the new, good Battlestar Galactica), and Autism Activism ("Aut Disce, Aut Discede", y'all!).

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 2:17 AM

Remember, though, that 50 years prior to BSG means that the Cylon Revolt is due to break out any day now, leading us to Cylon War I...

The Vahki

The Vahki

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 4:44 AM

RDM can barely do 20 consistently good BSG episodes now hes going to try and do a spin-off aswell?

Someones biting off more then they can chew.

tmesis

tmesis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 7:38 AM

Well, be fair, presumably the conflict will come from the Cylon uprising. Which we've all been dying to know more about (gods, the back and forths about it in the morality/Home threads). But yeah, I, too, fear dilution.

Bottom line, we're suspicious coz we care about the Galacticans and don't give a stuff about Joseph and wossname (Mrs.) Adama. If they can make us care about them, too, if they can set up equally flawed/interesting characters without letting BSG go off the boil, then I'm all for it.

We need multiple copies of Eick and Moore.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 7:54 AM

Already the name of the non-adama family sounds like it was selected by a SciFi Channel exec's 7 year old.

Interestingly, it reminds me of Tarzan. I know he's Greystoke, but it sounds similar.

AzureOwl

AzureOwl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 8:46 AM

This thread is to discuss the new spinoff series from Battlestar Galactica that SciFi will produce. It's called Caprica. Acording to the press release:

Caprica would take place more than half a century before the events that play out in Battlestar Galactica. The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better.

But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot: a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the Battlestar Galactica), Caprica will weave together corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga, the channel announced.

I find this very interesting. I've always wanted them to explore the details of Colonial life, the differences between each Colony, cultural, economical and political; but I've known that such things probably don't fit the format of Battlestar Galactica. But this new series would be ideal for that.

What do we know about the Adamas? IIRC, we're told that Bill Adama's father was some sort of lawyer. So maybe he won't be doing the "corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics" part of the story. And what about this Graystones? I'm sure we've never heard of them before.

If done right it could be a very good show indeed. Would TWoP recap it?

PS: Since the story comes from SciFi directly I thought that it was appropiate to start this thread. If it's not Ok, I apologize in advance.

Edited by AzureOwl, Apr 27, 2006 @ 8:49 AM.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 8:57 AM

It suffers a bit from Stories I Know the Ending To Syndrome. I mean, it's *possible* to tell a compelling story when everybody already knows how it ends, but it's certainly a handicap. Will Li'll Billy Adama die of Space Mumps? I'm pretty sure he won't, no matter how furrowry his parents look around his bedside (although getting to Granpa Adama - Liberal Attorney at Space Law in action could be interesting).

It'll probably be good. But, like I said, "In a hundred years, who's going to care?" is supposed to be a rhetorical question. You're not actually meant to be able to say "Nobody, because they'll all be dead, on the run, or hooked up to Baby Farms"

Capt Stripe

Capt Stripe

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 9:08 AM

Does this mean we get to see the Old School, Men-In-Suits Cylons again?

Watchmaker

Watchmaker

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 9:19 AM

Two bits of speculation:

Perhaps the overhead of jumpstarting the new series is why the start of BSG Season 3 has been bumped back to October? That, and/or they wanted to premiere the two shows back-to-back?

Second, if Adama's dad was a civil rights lawyer, and the show revolves around the creation of the first Cylon, could we perhaps see the elder Adama in action as an advocate for the Cylons? As in, the Cylons sue for recognition of their sentience and civil rights in a Dred Scott-like case, Adama takes the case and loses, and that loss eventually leads to the whole Cylon war? Might be an interesting way to go about it...

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 9:38 AM

I'm curious about scheduling. Will this be on concurrently with BSG or will it air when BSG has a season break? If the two series overlap and they're shown back-to-back, that could cause some trouble for the Stargate franchise but we could get some great episodes showing events in the past and how they effect the future.

Looking at the new shows Sci-Fi has planned, it seems they're trying to get more nights of original scripted programming out there. Maybe Fridays will be BSG night and the Stargates will move to, say, Mondays.

AzureOwl

AzureOwl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 9:41 AM

Second, if Adama's dad was a civil rights lawyer, and the show revolves around the creation of the first Cylon, could we perhaps see the elder Adama in action as an advocate for the Cylons? As in, the Cylons sue for recognition of their sentience and civil rights in a Dred Scott-like case, Adama takes the case and loses, and that loss eventually leads to the whole Cylon war? Might be an interesting way to go about it...

It would be extremely interesting, but it wouldn't mesh well with BSG. The son of the man who would've been perceived as the ultimate Cylon lover would never be trusted by the survivors. If the elder Adama had been involved in such a high profile case, the surname Adama would become mudd after the First Cylon War. People can be vengefull creatures, so I doubt that Bill Adama could've rised so high in the military, wife with connections or not, with such a family connection.

thefutoncritic

thefutoncritic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 10:39 AM

A quick note - Sci Fi has only ordered a script to "Caprica" (as well as the others on that list). We're a ways from them actually turning into a series.

Also note that the new show "Eureka" will be airing on Mondays (starting July 17) so it appears there are plans to expand beyond its Friday mainstays.

Nur Misur

Nur Misur

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 10:55 AM

Frankly, my first thought when I saw the spin-off news headline was that they were going to split up the existing cast, a la Buffy/Angel, and I am just very relieved that that is not the case. As long as the new show doesn't interfere with the quality of BSG, they can do whatever they want with it, and it can rise or fall on its own merits.

DrSnark

DrSnark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 11:02 AM

I...just don't know what to make of this new series. While I want to know more about Colonial life (religion, history, etc), I don't know if a full-fledged series would be a good idea. I'd prefer a limited series or a mini. I'll give it a shot--but, like Enterprise, I'd rather see the events that immediately precede the events in BSG; in other words, I'd rather see the events that lead to the First Cylon War (if I'm not mistaken, the FCW happens pretty soon after the unification of the colonies?).

Glark

Glark

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 12:29 PM

Craziness! This sounds like one of those origin/backstory/what if comics that usually pique my curiosity enough to ask someone who has read them what they are about but not enough to actually spend $3 on.

(cough)

Bitter Lemon

Bitter Lemon

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Reading, Writing, Music.

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 12:32 PM

Disgust.

This is the end of quality BSG, the shark has jumped. This gal says it all. I was worried before, now I'm let down. Caprica: The Rip-Off!

Thanks, Mr. Moore. Bloody Lupins!

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

• Interests:Really, really good sci-fi and drama.

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 12:44 PM

I'd prefer a limited series or a mini. I'll give it a shot... DrSnark

That's an excellent idea! It limits the creative drain on the main show and it gives the team a chance to fill in backstory. There's something really satisfying about a well-written limited series that has a definite start and end. I'd watch that.

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 1:33 PM

This gal says it all.

I'd have to disagree. While I agree with her first point, that the show seemed to be floundering in the middle of Season 2.5, I don't think she's on the mark with her other three parts. Especially her comment about Taken, which seems to be a case of apples and oranges in extremus.

While I do think this would work best as a mini-series just from the sound of the concept, I would stress patience until we have some actual details. I'd hate to see a repeat of the mess that preceded the BSG mini that everyone eventually fell in love with.

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 2:29 PM

Ugh. Haven't we all learned about prequels already?

Fans pick apart their favorite shows for scraps of info about the backstory. They then compose the backstory in their heads, if not write out fanfiction about it. The "official" prequel then has to compete with the disparate imaginations of millions of fans, and they almost never manage to meet those expectation. George Lucas and Rick Berman have had to learn these lessons the hard way, and now JJ Abrams and Ron Moore will, too.

I just don't see the need for this right now. It's been two seasons. Why do we need a prequel already? Why dilute the creative staff and the fan attention to the current show? Why compete with the imagination of the fans about where the Cylons come from? Why limit the territory the current show is allowed to cover by making stories for this new show?

I guess that's the bottom line here: Why? Or, better question: Why now?

This is like the week for news that makes me say "why?" JJ Abrams telling stories about Kirk and Spock. Nintendo Wii. And now Caprica.

Edited by Cleo256, Apr 27, 2006 @ 2:31 PM.

theschnauzers

theschnauzers

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 2:40 PM

I suspect that the backstory "bible" for BSG is the starting point for "Caprica," so that the continuity issue that often exists between prequels/sequels may be less of a problem that is often the case.
For comparison, look at SG-! and SG:Atlantis, which are supposed to be in the same time frame. There's very little overlap and I haven't really noticed any contradiction between the two.
As a viewer, there has been a lot in the background of BSG as re-imagined by RGM and associated that I've wanted to know....more or less to understand how things got to the point they did to set off the "current" conflict.
But the bottom line is how this gets executed and how well. And that, of course, will make a big difference. Guess we'll have to wait and see how this gets populated both in fornt of and behind the camera.