6-8: "The Girl Who is a Model, Not a Masseuse" 2006.04.26 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

384 replies to this topic

Crackers

Crackers

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 12:27 PM

Yay! Potes called the ep. "One Night in Bangkok". I was worried I was the only person with that song in my head after the girls headed to Thailand!

yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 2:29 PM

Yay! Potes called the ep. "One Night in Bangkok". I was worried I was the only person with that song in my head after the girls headed to Thailand!

Wait, what do you mean? On the guide thing for the show, it says "No, No, Nnenna."

mikkamtl

mikkamtl

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 3:50 PM

From the recap:

She asks why, and he says that she is a gazelle. This seems like a compliment before he continues that Nnenna is a snob

I'd forgotten it about 90 seconds after the ep was done, what with my giddiness at seeing Nnenna pack up her bags and leave, but I remember thinking there must have been some serious editing going on in that clip (maybe because Nenna's so freaking boring and long-winded all the time) because....how DID Gnatman (brilliant!) come up with that math? I get that she might make you think of a gazelle because of her body type. I certainly get the snob thing... But did I miss something in the Lion King movies?

Edited by mikkamtl, May 2, 2006 @ 3:56 PM.

yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 4:15 PM

I also thought Gazelle was a compliment, but then just assumed that I didn't really know what it meant when he continued.

Edited by yeahyeahyeah, May 2, 2006 @ 4:14 PM.

gamefair

gamefair

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 4:26 PM

Gazelle is a compliment. If refers to elegance and poise however, in Nnenna's case it deemed her snobbish.

Edited by gamefair, May 2, 2006 @ 4:26 PM.

marnya

marnya

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 4:27 PM

Either fame goes to their heads and they turn into monsters

Very, very bland monsters.

BoofishFontaine

BoofishFontaine

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 4:41 PM

All this makes me agree with Lisa from Season 5 (now I know how Danielle feels because just typing that made me throw up in my mouth a little) that ANTM is a reality show and has nothing to do with modeling. Nnenna a snob, they don't like her personality aside - to say that Jade, Furonda or Sara is a better model than Nnnena is like saying, well, it's like saying that Furonda, Jade and Sara are better models than Nnnena. It is just ridiculous.

carrier76

carrier76

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 4:56 PM

Again, I don't see how everyone thinks that Nnenna is such a great model. LOOK AT HER PHOTOGRAPHS. They are all subpar, every last one of them. Even the bald one was meh. The ice one was horrendous. She sucks.

Mya

Mya

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 5:03 PM

She's not a great model. In the ice picture she looked like a man, in the bald one she looked like crap and all of the other photos were bad. Yes, sometimes she looked good in person but all of her photos sucked big time. Furonda is not attractive but with the exception of the bald photo her photos were A LOT better than Nnenna's.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 5:27 PM

Well given that we're trying to judge how good of amodel she is based on this crappy (but throughly amusing) show, I'd say it's hard to tell. I bet she would look awesome on a runway if a bit bland in the face.

clarissa5

clarissa5

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 7:27 PM

Potes I may be a little weird but my favourite part of each of your recaps is the line

There are prizes, there are judges.

I think it would be amazing if Tyra were to use that instead of making us sit through the 5 minute speil each week. I know wishful thinking but anyway, great recap as always.

Edited by clarissa5, May 2, 2006 @ 7:30 PM.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 9:01 PM

Joanie is first. She tells the judges her motto: life is a track meet, not a marathon, and it's over quicker than you think, so you should do it right the first time. My motto is that whether life is a track meet or a marathon, you'll find me at the bar.

Right there with you, Potes. The Drinks are on me!

I'll have a Whiskey, straight up, no ice, leave the bottle. Well, not really, but I like that line. (But I will have that whiskey)

Yeah, Joanie, can the pageant shit. Tyra likes the "personality". I worry with this episode she is starting to over-think.

Saraahphim

Saraahphim

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 9:30 PM

Gazelle is a compliment. If refers to elegance and poise however, in Nnenna's case it deemed her snobbish.

I don't think it was the compliment that "deemed her snobbish," I think it was how she took it. I think he wanted her to thank him...maybe seem grateful? Nnenna didn't really seem to know how to take it.

qtmcwhiskers

qtmcwhiskers

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 9:31 PM

I totally didn't know gazelles were such elitists before George Wayne correctorated me on that point. Recognize!

Saraahphim

Saraahphim

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 9:39 PM

Gazelles are the aristocracy of the savannah.

MeUnauthorized

MeUnauthorized

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2006 @ 11:08 PM

I have to say I actually wasn't surprised at Nnenna's elimination after about 20 minutes into the episode. I totally saw it coming (and kinda wished for it to be honest). I've been rooting for Danielle & Joanie all along and this is the first season where my top picks are actually making it close. I think they will be the top two. I can't see the other three making it.

I love Thailand and not to be a snob or anything, but I have issues with the representation. The producers made sure of course to overglamorize the surroundings in Bangkok. Don't even get me started on the floating market...

BTW, 300 baht do go pretty far currently. Furonda could do a bit of damage with that. I like Joanie's attempts to show some respect for Thai culture. Her observation about modesty and her breasts was spot on. Her (and everyone else in this episode's) pronunciation were unfortunately, not. Thai is a tonal language and as cosmopolitan a city as Bangkok is, NO ONE from there is going to understand their attempts at Thai with that kind of pronunciation. Oddly enough, in the far Northwest in cities like Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai (which also have heavy immigrant populations) they are quite capable of understanding even the most otherwordly accents. However, in Bangkok this is not the case.

Let's see what next week brings...

Fx

Edited by MeUnauthorized, May 2, 2006 @ 11:09 PM.

Tienko

Tienko

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 12:21 AM

Thai is a tonal language and as cosmopolitan a city as Bangkok is, NO ONE from there is going to understand their attempts at Thai with that kind of pronunciation.

I don't blame them for not knowing how to pronounce Thai spot on. Thai has many vowel combinations and consonants that aren't in the English language (I'm guessing English is the native language of these girls, of course), so you can't expect them to be perfect with their pronunciation. I wouldn't generalize about the Bangkok population and their understanding of Thai either. You have Thais who don't even pronounce Thai correctly (as with any language, English or whatever), so I wouldn't worry so much about reality show contestants.

But I say kudos to the girls who are learning actual -vocabulary-. It's easy enough to recognize what Joanie said, for example, with the typical Thai greeting and "how much." Tone can be perfected in the meantime. It's difficult to do, but they're trying and it's not bad.

But getting back on topic, kudos to Potes too for another great recap. "Ooh, burned like toast, right there." Hilarious. And George Wayne WAS just mean. He's the arrogant bitch, if anything.

SnapperOrgans

SnapperOrgans

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 1:16 AM

IMO, he wasn't sincerely mean enough. True burns on the hamsters would've been along the lines of:
"So, Nnenna... do you think your fifteen minutes are almost up?"
"What's your name again? Joanie? Tell me why I should care about you..."
"Sara... why should I not be mind-numbingly bored by you?"
"Hi, Jade... could you please move your head so I can get the attention of Molly Sims standing just behind you? Thanks..."

Saraahphim

Saraahphim

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 1:30 AM

I sort of love George Wayne for calling Jade an arrogant bitch. But it was edited so strangely, I kinda wonder if he even said it to her face.

jollydolly

jollydolly

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 10:06 AM

Gazelles are the aristocracy of the savannah.

I totally didn't know gazelles were such elitists before George Wayne correctorated me on that point. Recognize!

Bloody gazelles, the number of times gazelles have walked right past when I'm speaking to them...it's like Simon and Garfunkel say, monkeys stand for honesty/giraffes are insincere, the elephants are kindly but they're dumb/orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages and the zookeeper is very fond of rum.../zebras are reactionary/antelopes are missionaries....
- hang on, giraffes are insincere? Is that a 1960s dig at Sara? Well, the song also says 'hamsters turn on frequently', and if the zookeeper were fond of ribs, it could fit Tyra perfectly.

Now I know if a queen spits at me that I'm a gazelle, it's not a time to say 'thank you, george'.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 10:15 AM

My guess is get really, really REALLY excited about Wetslicks and then marry one of the Monkees. Hopefully Peter Tork.

Well, he *is* single. . .and really doesn't look that bad these days.

And he and Jade are about the same age (she shaves a few years off her age, whilst she takes a few years off of mine everytime I see her freakin' face on my tv).

Hee. One Night in Bangkok. I think the hamsters will have an easier time learning to speak Thai than playing chess! I'm disappointed that Potes didn't work in my favorite line from that song - I get my kicks above the waistline Sunshine (sang/said with derision). I was hoping for a tie-in with those womanly parts.

Edited by cosmom, May 3, 2006 @ 10:18 AM.

Potes

Potes

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 10:20 AM

Ha! I was totally going to work that line in but then I just forgot. When you've been recapping for hours on end good ideas sometimes go by the wayside.

SnapperOrgans

SnapperOrgans

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 1:24 PM

Not much between despair and ecstasy, eh Potes?

ETA: Any other big-time "Chess" nerds out here in TWoPland? Duhhhh...

Edited by SnapperOrgans, May 3, 2006 @ 1:26 PM.

Lady Lazarus

Lady Lazarus

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 4:10 PM

ANTM really did over-glamorize Thailand. A friend of mine has been there for two months travelling, and unless you plan to stay at ultra-chic hotels like the girls were put up at, it's an entirely different story. I'm thinking that Danielle being sent the emergency room tonight will probably either be a result of food/water sickness, exhaustion coupled with heat exposure, or maybe that pinky came back with a vengence?.

I really love how the elimination room is all swanked out in gold lame and Buddhas(?). Heh. ANTM always finds some way to make everything trashy.

And Joanie was so on the mark for wanting to be conservative about showing skin in that country. I think it is actually illegal to walk into an ancient temple with legs/arms exposed, especially if you're a woman.

Edited by Lady Lazarus, May 3, 2006 @ 4:17 PM.

Crackers

Crackers

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 4:50 PM

I don't know about glamorizing Thailand, Lady Lazarus. Of course they're going to put the girls up in a nice hotel, that doesn't mean they're going to gloss over all the other things going on there. I'm pretty sure they talked about the slums of South Africa when the Cycle 4 girls went there, did they not? Wait, where did the girls go last Cycle? Usually I have a great memory, but then again, useless crap like this isn't so important! Anyway my best friend went to Thailand and loved it, and she stayed not just at hotels but with local Thai people and the photos of their houses were humble but beautiful. And for all we know they might mention the darker side of things later. But as Potes so rightly pointed out when commenting on Nnenna's fair trade talk, we don't watch this show to learn about global problems!

So anyway, not that this post was particularly important, I just thought I'd share! Meanwhile I just felt proud of myself that when the girls were practicing their Thai I remembered some of it from when my friend would run those tapes all the time in our dorm room back in college. You say hello differently if you're a woman than you would if you're a man. See how educational ANTM is?

Edited by Crackers, May 3, 2006 @ 4:54 PM.